Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Explosion on London Underground (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705394)

Mick 15-09-2017 09:13

Explosion on London Underground

BREAKING: There are reports of an explosion at Parsons Green on the London Underground. Fire crews are in attendance and Police. There are some reports of injuries.... More to follow...

denphone 15-09-2017 09:35

Re: Explosion on London Underground

Lets hope and pray that the injuries are not serious and that there are no fatalities.

Kabaal 15-09-2017 09:50

Looks like a failed attempt at a bomb going by the photos.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/09/10.jpg

Mick 15-09-2017 10:54

It seems to have partially detonated, as it seems to have caused a number of injuries, such as burns or scratches. Certainly looks sinister, meant to cause maximum carnage.

denphone 15-09-2017 11:00

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu has now declared it a terrorist incident.

Mick 15-09-2017 11:14

Former MOD Staff: Looks like a typical Pressure cooker bomb that has malfunctioned.

Damien 15-09-2017 11:53

Trump might have leaked some information on who this is: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...42277987356673

Quote:

Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!
Could just be oddly phrased or it might be mean this was done by someone already under suspicion...

Maggy 15-09-2017 12:10

And now we have a terrorist's wet dream..changing TV schedules to provide 24 hour publicity for their cause..and endless speculation from experts and bystanders. I'd rather we kept things normal and wait until there is real info announced and then sympathy for the victims. I hate the way this gives more publicity to the perpetrators/recruiters.

RichardCoulter 15-09-2017 13:34

Agreed. We all say that we won't let them win and let it disrupt our lives and then the TV channels do just the opposite and publicise it 24/7!

A news blackout wouldn't work in today's society, so I think your suggestion is the best solution Maggy.

Osem 15-09-2017 13:40

I'd imagine there'll be CCTV images of the scumbag who did this, so let's hope he's caught and not allowed to disappear out of the country.

Mick 15-09-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35916608)
Agreed. We all say that we won't let them win and let it disrupt our lives and then the TV channels do just the opposite and publicise it 24/7!

A news blackout wouldn't work in today's society, so I think your suggestion is the best solution Maggy.

I do not agree with a news blackout, people need free flowing information. These incidents are fluid, people need to know what is going on, where to avoid.

Osem 15-09-2017 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35916593)
And now we have a terrorist's wet dream..changing TV schedules to provide 24 hour publicity for their cause..and endless speculation from experts and bystanders. I'd rather we kept things normal and wait until there is real info announced and then sympathy for the victims. I hate the way this gives more publicity to the perpetrators/recruiters.

:tu:

I was listening to a reporter at the scene on Radio London this morning and found his persistent questions to all and sundry quite off-putting. At one point he approached one of the injured and had to be told quite firmly by someone assisting the victim that the person was not in a fit state to be questioned. It doesn't look like the media lessons which were supposed to have been learned after the Greenfell disaster have percolated through to all our journalists and I too find the saturation coverage and endless media speculation annoying. The media may have a job to do but they don't have a right to treat scared, traumatised and even injured people in this manner. Furthermore all they achieve is spreading rumours and mis-information whilst giving the bombers what they want.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35916616)
I do not agree with a news blackout, people need free flowing information. These incidents are fluid, people need to know what is going on, where to avoid.

That's fine when it's done by the emergency services on the scene. There can never be a blackout but the media need to allow the injured to get help and the emergency services to do their jobs then report what's happened in a responsible manner. Endless speculation just adds to the confusion and spreads fear.

heero_yuy 15-09-2017 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35916616)

With social media, people everywhere having mobiles and instant net access it would be unenforcible anyway. The resulting Chinese whispers would be much worse than the actual authorititive reporting.

Osem 15-09-2017 17:32

It'd be interesting to find out if those who took the images of the device would do so again. Yes it'd clearly partially gone off but they couldn't have known another explosion wasn't imminent. I don't think I'd have hung around to find out.

Hom3r 15-09-2017 17:39

We need to never nam the terrorist or group, nor include them in the death/injured figures.