Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Unable to Send or Receive MMS (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695506)

smudgy 21-10-2013 18:47

Unable to Send or Receive MMS

I recently ported my number from Vodafone to Virgin Mobile and everything (well almost everything) seemed to go smoothly. However, I have 2 things which don't seem to working. The 1st is that my actual phone number is not displayed in the settings menu, it just says unknown (this is my second sim card and the 1st listed the number originally given to the sim). I can put up with this for the time being.

The 2nd problem, and one which is a lot more annoying, is that I am unable to send or receive mms messages. I have installed the settings from the VM website but nothing seems to work. I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S2 running Android 4.1.2, Baseband Version I9100XXMS2, Build Number JZ054K.I9100XWLSW.

Can anyone help me sort this out?

qasdfdsaq 21-10-2013 21:51

Re: Unable to Send or Receive MMS

And what settings are you (trying to) use?

smudgy 22-10-2013 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35635066)
And what settings are you (trying to) use?

The access point name is Virgin Media Mobile Internet:
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Poxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: user
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

qasdfdsaq 23-10-2013 11:58

Hmm, all seems correct. What exactly goes wrong? Is there an error message? Can you screenshot it?

Mr Pharmacist 23-10-2013 12:29

I had the same problem regarding the MMS messages when i first switched to Virgin mobile. When I spoke to them they told me to send one to myself, which i did, and it actually solved the problem. Going by my own experience it might work for you as well, hopefully!

smudgy 23-10-2013 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35635622)
Hmm, all seems correct. What exactly goes wrong? Is there an error message? Can you screenshot it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist (Post 35635643)
I had the same problem regarding the MMS messages when i first switched to Virgin mobile. When I spoke to them they told me to send one to myself, which i did, and it actually solved the problem. Going by my own experience it might work for you as well, hopefully!

When I receive a mms message I just get a text saying that I've received a message and to go to the getmessage website. I have tried to send myself one but it tries for about 5 minutes before I get a message failed message, telling me to review the message and send again.

I have noticed that when I send it, the 3G (or H+) connection comes and goes. This is really frustrating as I have nieces and nephews around the UK and my family do tend to send a lot of pictures.

Mr Pharmacist 23-10-2013 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgy (Post 35635831)
When I receive a mms message I just get a text saying that I've received a message and to go to the getmessage website. I have tried to send myself one but it tries for about 5 minutes before I get a message failed message, telling me to review the message and send again.

I have noticed that when I send it, the 3G (or H+) connection comes and goes. This is really frustrating as I have nieces and nephews around the UK and my family do tend to send a lot of pictures.

I understand your frustration mate. I've found this on the virgin forums about doing a factory reset http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/1976932 Apart from doing that I can only suggest you call them and get some help.

Hom3r 23-10-2013 21:54

If you are sending pictures and you all have smartphones use Whatsapp, it works on all mobile platforms and is free.

smudgy 24-10-2013 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist (Post 35635935)
I understand your frustration mate. I've found this on the virgin forums about doing a factory reset http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/1976932 Apart from doing that I can only suggest you call them and get some help.

It was the helpline who suggested the factory reset. It didn't solve the problem but I'm sure it cleaned some crap off my phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35635938)
If you are sending pictures and you all have smartphones use Whatsapp, it works on all mobile platforms and is free.

I have Whatsapp installed but trying to explain that to my mum (who is 67 years old) would be like pulling teeth.

Mr Pharmacist 25-10-2013 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgy (Post 35636298)
It was the helpline who suggested the factory reset. It didn't solve the problem but I'm sure it cleaned some crap off my phone.

I really don't know what you can do then smudgy, apart from calling them again and to keep doing so until the problem is resolved. Sorry mate.

smudgy 25-10-2013 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist (Post 35636568)
I really don't know what you can do then smudgy, apart from calling them again and to keep doing so until the problem is resolved. Sorry mate.

I called them again and they gave me some other APN settings and said to try it in a different location. This didn't work but it I also couldn't get on the internet. It isn't so much that I want to send mms messages but I would like to be able to receive them from family.

A little bit stuck as to what to try next.

Mr Pharmacist 25-10-2013 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgy (Post 35636583)
I called them again and they gave me some other APN settings and said to try it in a different location. This didn't work but it I also couldn't get on the internet. It isn't so much that I want to send mms messages but I would like to be able to receive them from family.

A little bit stuck as to what to try next.

You might not mind being unable to send MMS messages, but you should be able to use all the functions the phone has without any problems and whenever you want. I can only suggest you keep calling, however annoying it might be to you. I'd even put a call into retentions because if you're not able to use all the functions that should be available to you, coverage permitting, you could be able to cancel your contract. The threat of that might ram home your problems to them and also the inadequate help you've received from them so far. Keep trying smudgy!

qasdfdsaq 25-10-2013 11:54

I'd try a different phone. But tbh if the internet works the MMS should also work providing the settings are correct - which they are. Sounds like VM have something borked on your account or SIM.

smudgy 25-10-2013 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pharmacist (Post 35636592)
You might not mind being unable to send MMS messages, but you should be able to use all the functions the phone has without any problems and whenever you want. I can only suggest you keep calling, however annoying it might be to you. I'd even put a call into retentions because if you're not able to use all the functions that should be available to you, coverage permitting, you could be able to cancel your contract. The threat of that might ram home your problems to them and also the inadequate help you've received from them so far. Keep trying smudgy!

I'm only a Sim only deal at the moment so it's a 30 day contract. I suppose I could threaten to leave but ideally I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of switching so soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35636597)
I'd try a different phone. But tbh if the internet works the MMS should also work providing the settings are correct - which they are. Sounds like VM have something borked on your account or SIM.

I did try a Samsung Galaxy Y and the mms failed on that as well. My number does come up as Unknown in the 'About Device' menu but when I contacted the technical team they assured me that wouldn't be a problem.

It does sound like I will have to give them another call and see if there is something that is blocked on the Sim card.

johnathome 27-10-2013 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudgy (Post 35635357)
The access point name is Virgin Media Mobile Internet:
APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
Poxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: user
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.30.166.2
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication Type: PAP
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Your settings are slightly different from the ones here, not sure if you've just done typos or not?

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/virgin-apn-settings