Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Amazon : The Grand Tour (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703972)

swoop101 18-11-2016 09:25

The Grand Tour

Just watched the first episode and I like it.
It needs to mature a bit but it was very enjoyable.
Looking forward to the next 11 weeks :)

Jon M 18-11-2016 14:05

Re: The Grand Tour

Best thing about this...
The BBC collectively choking on their bile when Clarkson started cracking jokes at the Beebs expense.

Joyous.

Lets hope for more unshackled content like this, free of the bias and political correctness that has hamstrung creativity at that place for so long.

thenry 18-11-2016 17:55

so not much has changed bar a shake up to 'the show'. good stuff. what are the bbc going to do

martyh 18-11-2016 18:40

I just watched it and loved it ,i was a big fan of the old TG and was absolutely horrified at the attempt that Chris Evans made ,the BBC might as well give up with top gear

More of the same please Amazon

Damien 19-11-2016 11:22

It was good! I really liked the start. I always felt that some pieces are forced but none the less it's basically Top Gear.

The BBC should just turn it into a different show. They're not going to recapture what went before.

Chad 26-11-2016 12:03

Episode 2 was dire. Tried way too hard to be funny. Was a real struggle to watch. Hopefully the coming episodes will be a return to form cause I can't watch that every week.

swoop101 26-11-2016 12:59

I am glad you said that, I thought it was just me thinking it was a bit of a let down.

cimt 26-11-2016 13:32

You can deffos see the jokes that they'll keep using every week. Despite how staged the challenge was, I enjoyed it. It'd be nice if they actually tested cars out on the road though.

martyh 26-11-2016 17:53

Yep ,it still needs some work but even at it's worst it was waaayy better than Chris Evans's Top Gear.

TheDaddy 26-11-2016 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35871871)
Episode 2 was dire. Tried way too hard to be funny. Was a real struggle to watch. Hopefully the coming episodes will be a return to form cause I can't watch that every week.

I thought that about the last few years of top gear, glad I'm not missing anything

Hugh 27-11-2016 01:11

E2 was meh - the Special Forces bit was overdone.

denphone 27-11-2016 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35871951)
Yep ,it still needs some work but even at it's worst it was waaayy better than Chris Evans's Top Gear.

Chris Evans was never suitable for it in a months of Sunday's.

Mick Fisher 27-11-2016 17:30

Strangely I enjoyed Ep2 more than Ep1? The absolute silliness of it all got to me. :D

Chad 28-11-2016 23:34

I like the episodes where they're on a long road trip across foreign land. I also like the challenge episodes where they've got to get from point A to point B somewhere in the UK driving clapped out motors.

An episode of this type must be around the corner.

swoop101 02-12-2016 09:13

Episode 3 was much better :)
Back to the fun with the cars and Clarksons house copped for it :P

adzii_nufc 04-12-2016 02:24

Love the new show but as people are pointing out, there are certainly niggles. The special forces thing last week and The road trip in Italy this week, by that I specifically mean how unfunny the whole Challenger thing became after 5 minutes.

martyh 04-12-2016 08:42

The truth about Clarksons house:D

Quote:

Jeremy Clarkson made way for his new Cotswold farm house by blowing up his old home.

The former Top Gear host was granted permission to demolish his £4 million, five-bedroom farmhouse near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, and build a new one in July.

But instead of calling in the bulldozers "like any normal person would do" he hired a demolition firm and razed the property to the ground in a massive explosion.
Quote:

The demolition marks the start of building work to create a brand new 12,173 sq ft home on what Clarkson calls Diddly Squat Farm.

Approved plans for the six-bedroom home claim it will be "a modest country house/gentrified farmhouse which gives the appearance of having grown over time".

It will have a walled garden, orangery, basement cinema and five bathrooms, as well as space for five cars and a quad bike store.
Awsome :D

Mr K 04-12-2016 09:42

Are there any viewing figures for this juvenille tripe, or are they barely recordable? Personally I just want Amazon to deliver my pressies this Xmas.

martyh 04-12-2016 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35873656)
Are there any viewing figures for this juvenille tripe, or are they barely recordable? Personally I just want Amazon to deliver my pressies this Xmas.

You don't get viewing figures for streamed shows from Amazon but we do know it has taken over from The Man in the High Castle as the most streamed show on Amazon and is rated 4.5 out 5 stars on IMDB.Amazon have also seen subscriptions in Prime increase since the shows launch

adzii_nufc 09-01-2017 03:30

Anyone a bit underwhelmed? It's enjoyable and I'll continue watching as long as it lasts but I'd rate their episodes of top gear over this. Putting TGT in the middle between their Top Gear and the new Top Gear.

Maybe it'll just take time to adjust. The celebrity segment does nothing for me and the hot lapper really gets on my.... It's lacking that someone that never spoke to give it the old effect. Seriously. They could've hired a talking Ben Collins and I'd be far happier.

cimt 09-01-2017 04:13

I'm not underwelmed but it is annoying when the same jokes get made in each episode. At first the jokes were funny like oh look the camera crashed and several people pretended to die but in the second episode it was yeah OK I'm past that now please move on...

Damien 09-01-2017 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35879733)
Anyone a bit underwhelmed? It's enjoyable and I'll continue watching as long as it lasts but I'd rate their episodes of top gear over this. Putting TGT in the middle between their Top Gear and the new Top Gear.

Maybe it'll just take time to adjust. The celebrity segment does nothing for me and the hot lapper really gets on my.... It's lacking that someone that never spoke to give it the old effect. Seriously. They could've hired a talking Ben Collins and I'd be far happier.

Towards the end the old Top Gear was dropping off as well. It was always a bit repetitive and adhered to a formula and the best episodes were the specials. I am not sure The Grand Tour was any different but people notice more as their expectations - what with this getting far more attention - were higher.

I've also heard the theory that having a higher budget hurt them as the creativity involved in getting around budget/legal constraints from the BBC was higher than the creativity involved in being able to do what they want.

Qtx 22-03-2017 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35879751)
I've also heard the theory that having a higher budget hurt them as the creativity involved in getting around budget/legal constraints from the BBC was higher than the creativity involved in being able to do what they want.

The BBC legal department stopped them from being able to interview celebs on a car show, as well as not allowing them to have a celeb driving around a track in a car and also not having a full standing audience. Apparently they are all Top Gear attributes which cannot be used.

So that is why there is a line or two of seats in front of a standing audience to get around one of the rules. It's also why the star each week has an accident and fails to make it to the tent.

Not having the star racing and interview bit does change the format from their old top gear but they still make up for it with some good old top gear car eye candy filmography and random stuff imo :)

TheDaddy 10-06-2017 17:16

Hammond air lifted to hospital after fireball crash in Swiss alps
:(

adzii_nufc 10-06-2017 17:55

Suffered no serious injuries - unsure how accurate that is yet. Another shave for him though after the last incident at top gear.

Looks like he's binned the Rimac C One electric supercar.

doreen12 11-09-2017 12:06

I have just started to watch it. Looks interesting!

swoop101 08-12-2017 09:10

Well the new season is here.
Episode one was very good.
Dropped the really poor stuff and concentrated on the entertainment.
It shows how settled they are with Amazon after the restrictions at the BBC
I hope it continues to get even better. :)