Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Any Word.doc experts? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705663)

iadom 09-11-2017 15:16

Any Word.doc experts?

1 Attachment(s)
My wife is involved with a local events committee and has been making up some flyers for this years Christmas Lights switch on etc.

Some of the flyers have been changed to pdf's but she has one Word.doc that for some reason has carried the original header onto a second page.

She has been unable to remove the second page so it is causing problems for printing etc.

does anyone have any ideas as to how to remove this 'extra' bit?

I have attached a screen dump of the top of the pages as the appear on screen when opened.

Jim.

heero_yuy 09-11-2017 15:23

Re: Any Word.doc experts?

I suspect that there's some "white space characters" on the first page, enough to make Word start the next page.

Go to the end of the last line of text on the first page and hit the <del> key a few times to remove them. Probably <CR>'s

HTH

iadom 09-11-2017 15:34

Need to be certain before I start deleting her work.:shocked:

Not had much time to look at it but from what I can see it looks as though she has managed to enter the first two lines as a header, outside the preset margins of the page if that makes sense??

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35924095)
I suspect that there's some "white space characters" on the first page, enough to make Word start the next page.

Go to the end of the last line of text on the first page and hit the <del> key a few times to remove them. Probably <CR>'s

HTH

Just to be safe I made a copy of the original before I started messing around with it and your suggestion worked a treat, many thanks.

You will be her Hero for sure. :D

Hom3r 10-11-2017 10:52

Near the top of word is what looks like a fancy "P", press this and it shows all the hidden items "Spaces, carriage returns etc".

This will enable you to delete safely.

iadom 10-11-2017 14:04

Well worth knowing that, thanks for the info.:cool:

MaccLad 10-11-2017 21:54

I think that your heading will not be replicated onto the 2nd page if you check the option "Different First Page" under Header & Footer Tools. Initially it will still show up on 2nd page, but you can then delete the header text on 2nd page.

Alternatively, just delete the headers entirely, and put it all as text in the main body of the document.

Matthew 11-11-2017 23:23

Other option when you save it to PDF, file save as PDF just select page 1 in the options.