Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Strange phone call (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705118)

Paul 13-07-2017 20:14

Strange phone call

So I get a call (to my mobile) from someone claiming to be Virgin Media.

(Sounded like a foreign call centre).

Apparently they have great news, they are going to give me a "massive" discount :erm:

Hmm, so I say "ok, what kind of discount" ?

At that point they start asking me about my security questions.

*Ding ding* Alarm bell rings.

I pointed out that they had rung me (out of the blue) and not the other way around.
No way was I going to answer my security questions to a random caller who could be anyone.

They rang off .................

Qtx 13-07-2017 21:37

Re: Strange phone call

Sorry, the cleaner pulled the switchboard plug out mid-conversation.

Would you trust me more if I gave you my password of charlie07wywimopugodfish1 and an install date?

Oh wait, which scam is this again?

Just kidding of course! :D

I wont even give my date of birth to people calling claiming to be a reminder service for hospital appointments. They think it's a bit weird you wont tell a random caller those details.

tweetiepooh 14-07-2017 12:30

I got call from "BT" about my BT line. I said I was with VM.

Couple of hours later - call from "VM" (same voice) about my VM line and if I didn't help my "BT - sorry VM" line would be closed.

Chad 15-07-2017 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35907699)
So I get a call (to my mobile) from someone claiming to be Virgin Media.

(Sounded like a foreign call centre).

Apparently they have great news, they are going to give me a "massive" discount :erm:

Hmm, so I say "ok, what kind of discount" ?

At that point they start asking me about my security questions.

*Ding ding* Alarm bell rings.

I pointed out that they had rung me (out of the blue) and not the other way around.
No way was I going to answer my security questions to a random caller who could be anyone.

They rang off .................

To be fair they'd need to ask those type of questions for data security. If a company has to call you urgently they can't take it for granted they are actually talking to the customer. They would need to ask a couple of quick security questions before divulging potential sensitive info.

My Dad and I have the same name. When i lived with my parents I wouldn't have been too pleased if my doctor, bank or employer called the house asking to speak to me then started to blurt out my personal info to my Dad.

Best thing to do if your unsure is tell them you'll call back yourself and ask them to add a note on their system as your concerned about the legitimacy of the call.

Daveoc64 17-07-2017 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35907886)
To be fair they'd need to ask those type of questions for data security. If a company has to call you urgently they can't take it for granted they are actually talking to the customer. They would need to ask a couple of quick security questions before divulging potential sensitive info.

My Dad and I have the same name. When i lived with my parents I wouldn't have been too pleased if my doctor, bank or employer called the house asking to speak to me then started to blurt out my personal info to my Dad.

Best thing to do if your unsure is tell them you'll call back yourself and ask them to add a note on their system as your concerned about the legitimacy of the call.

The point is that it's always unsafe to give your security details to someone that contacts you - to the point that companies shouldn't ask for them in the first place, and many won't for that reason.

jcm193 17-07-2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveoc64 (Post 35908138)
The point is that it's always unsafe to give your security details to someone that contacts you - to the point that companies shouldn't ask for them in the first place, and many won't for that reason.

I have to agree these people could be anybody and it's not safe at all to give your password to someone in this situation,If they really need to confirm who you why not just ask for random letters from your password like the automated system does

djmagnifique 17-07-2017 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcm193 (Post 35908139)
I have to agree these people could be anybody and it's not safe at all to give your password to someone in this situation,If they really need to confirm who you why not just ask for random letters from your password like the automated system does

When I got a V6 fitted I had a problem with the on demand not working, the lightning team had to pass my issue up to 2nd line support. When 2nd line support rang me back the person asked for 3 random characters from my password.

Gavin-D 17-07-2017 18:40

Does the number start with 0800?

Daveoc64 18-07-2017 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 35908165)
When I got a V6 fitted I had a problem with the on demand not working, the lightning team had to pass my issue up to 2nd line support. When 2nd line support rang me back the person asked for 3 random characters from my password.

I think that's much less of a security risk. If you're expecting an imminent call back from a company then it's reasonable to assume it's them.

spiderplant 18-07-2017 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveoc64 (Post 35908222)
If you're expecting an imminent call back from a company then it's reasonable to assume it's them.

True, but if you aren't, it's a great way for a hacker to get the first, fifth and eighth character of your p---w--d

SnoopZ 18-07-2017 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35908239)
True, but if you aren't, it's a great way for a hacker to get the first, fifth and eighth character of your p---w--d

My password is only 5 letters so i hope they don't ask me for 3.

Paul 18-07-2017 13:33

AFAIK, they will always ask for three letters.

If I got a call I was not expecting (which was the case) then I will not give anything, including three letters from my password.

They should have a password for us to confirm, security works both ways.