Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Security & Virus Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hotmail/Outlook spam - how to create rules (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705013)

Osem 16-06-2017 13:27

Hotmail/Outlook spam - how to create rules

I'm using what was hotmail (free) and which is now renamed Outlook. I'm getting quite a lot of spam and phishing emails many of which have particular words (including a particular variation on my account name) in the message header. Most of these appear in my junk folder but it's still annoying so can I create general rules which will simply delete any mail with these terms in the header? Some of the mails appear to come from my own email account (spoofed) but most seem to be coming from random accounts and blocking them hasn't solved the problem.

I'm not expecting any genuine mail with message headers including such terms as Dyson, Sexy, Dating, Vanquis, EHarmony, Dating, Dollars etc. etc. etc. so I'd like to just create one general rule which will delete anything which comes in and contains any of these words, plus any others I can't think of right now.

Is this possible or is it far more complicated than I'm thinking?

TIA and cheers as always. :tu:

pip08456 16-06-2017 14:18

Re: Hotmail/Outlook spam - how to create rules

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35903613)
I'm using what was hotmail (free) and which is now renamed Outlook. I'm getting quite a lot of spam and phishing emails many of which have particular words (including a particular variation on my account name) in the message header. Most of these appear in my junk folder but it's still annoying so can I create general rules which will simply delete any mail with these terms in the header? Some of the mails appear to come from my own email account (spoofed) but most seem to be coming from random accounts and blocking them hasn't solved the problem.

I'm not expecting any genuine mail with message headers including such terms as Dyson, Sexy, Dating, Vanquis, EHarmony, Dating, Dollars etc. etc. etc. so I'd like to just create one general rule which will delete anything which comes in and contains any of these words, plus any others I can't think of right now.

Is this possible or is it far more complicated than I'm thinking?

TIA and cheers as always. :tu:

Microsoft are so good they don't give you the tools to do it. I found with my msn account (same as hotmail) that because I started it before they charged for using a 3rd party app it was free for me. I use Incredimail for my msn account and it's easy. When you get an email such as you are recieving you just right click, bounce ((so the bot doesn't think it's a genuine emailaddy) then tick block/delete. Once you right click block there is an option to bounce and delete automatically. Never a problem again. It works with the free version too!

Be aware all emails are downloaded to your device/HDD until deleted.

Osem 16-06-2017 22:15

Re: Hotmail/Outlook spam - how to create rules

I am using webmail so don't think anything is stored on my computer.