Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V HD : New to Virgin TV -Question (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704334)

Raider999 22-01-2017 12:36

New to Virgin TV -Question

Trying to resolve a few questions as I have just changed to Virgin V6 from Sky.

1. Is it possible to change the BBC/ITV default region? (We always had South East regional news, V6 gives us London)

2. I can now watch upstairs recordings on downstairs to - however it is a bit slow to start playing showing a black screen in the meantime, is this normal?

3. I am asked for a PIN number when trying to watch sports recordings before 10pm - rather strange when recording was done mid-afternoon - how can I stop this happening?

4. I recall that I can copy recordings from the V6 to my iPad so I can watch them away from the house. - is this actually possible?

5. My downstairs V6 frequently starts up with a green screen on Home and a green 'wash' on live TV and recordings (apparently a previous known problem on old TiVo boxes) I resolve this by re-booting but obviously mess up anything recording. An engineer told me this could be a hdmi cable problem - before a get a new one is this correct?

6. Is it possible to set up recordings on my V6 boxes remotely? (I.e. If I am on holiday can I log into virgin website select programmes I want to record and send instructions to the V6 to do that recording)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

BenMcr 22-01-2017 17:11

Re: New to Virgin TV -Question

1. No, but you may have an alternate ITV region in the 8xx range.
2. It can sometimes happen, as I've also had that, but for me it's not that often.
3. You can turn this off in Parental Controls. Just be aware that you can't turn it off for recording from the Sky Cinema channels
4. Yes. See here
5. It may help, but I believe it's a know issue at the moment that I believe is being worked on to stop this happening
6. Yes, via the TV Anywhere apps and website, but you'll need to make sure you leave your Hub on as well as the V6 box itself.

spiderplant 22-01-2017 17:19

Re: New to Virgin TV -Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35881613)
1. Is it possible to change the BBC/ITV default region? (We always had South East regional news, V6 gives us London)

You can't change the default, but some areas around London (e.g Luton and Guildford) have alternative versions in the 860's and 871's.

Quote:

2. I can now watch upstairs recordings on downstairs to - however it is a bit slow to start playing showing a black screen in the meantime, is this normal?

Depends how long it is black for. It does need to buffer some data before it can start playing. Perhaps one or both of your connections are a bit slow - how are they connected?

Quote:

3. I am asked for a PIN number when trying to watch sports recordings before 10pm - rather strange when recording was done mid-afternoon - how can I stop this happening?

Go into Help &Settings -> Parental Controls and make sure "Request a PIN to Watch Recordings" is set to off. That said, there is currently a fault where some programmes don't have any rating info, and you will get a PIN request for these. That's under investigation. (What channel & programme is it happening for?)

Quote:

5. My downstairs V6 frequently starts up with a green screen on Home and a green 'wash' on live TV and recordings (apparently a previous known problem on old TiVo boxes) I resolve this by re-booting but obviously mess up anything recording. An engineer told me this could be a hdmi cable problem - before a get a new one is this correct?

Unlikely to be the HDMI cable. It's probably a compatibility problem with your TV. Check that the TV firmware is up to date.

Incidentally, when it happens a quicker fix may be to unplug and reconnect the HDMI lead.

Quote:

6. Is it possible to set up recordings on my V6 boxes remotely? (I.e. If I am on holiday can I log into virgin website select programmes I want to record and send instructions to the V6 to do that recording)

Yes, go to http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tv-listings/. As long as you're logged in, you can set recordings. Or do it from the TV Anywhere app.