Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : The New Doctor (Peter Capaldi) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694535)

Chris 01-08-2013 20:50

The New Doctor (Peter Capaldi)

To be revealed during a live show scheduled for 7pm this Sunday evening on BBC One.

Any speculation ahead of the big reveal?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/...t-this-sunday/

Maggy 01-08-2013 20:52

Re: The new Doctor

I want it to be Hugh Laurie..but completely unlikely.;)

martyh 01-08-2013 21:34

here's the latest odds ,not sure about Peter Capaldi as favourite

Peter Capaldi: 2/1
Ben Daniels: 4/1
Rory Kinnear: 6/1
Ben Whishaw: 10/1
David Harewood: 10/1

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...d-8738402.html

Maggy 01-08-2013 23:21

I'd also like Benedict Cumberbatch for the part.

Stephen 02-08-2013 00:12

Is this show confirmed?

I know it's the 50th but seems odd doing a live reveal.

Cumberbatch wouldn't happen as he is on Moffats other BBC show.

I'd prefer an older Doctor, say in his 40s.

Update: this has been posted on BBC.co.uk/doctorwho

Quote:

Back in June we confirmed that Matt Smith would be leaving Doctor Who and since then there’s been intense speculation about who would be taking over the role of the Doctor. But the guesswork and conjecture end this weekend… The BBC will reveal the identity of the next Doctor during a live BBC One show that begins at 7pm on Sunday, 04 August. You can watch a trailer for the programme now!

The news about the announcement has been delivered in the following press release:

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor

In a special one-off live television event on BBC One this Sunday 4th August at 7pm, the next Doctor will be exclusively revealed to the nation.

Widely regarded as one of the most hotly contested roles in British television, the show's host Zoe Ball will unveil the 12th Doctor in the first ever interview in front of a live studio audience set against the backdrop of a swirling vortex, amongst Daleks and the TARDIS.

The half hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans.
Quote:

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says: “We can't wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we've been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.”

Keep up to date with all the latest news about the show and special guests as we build to the big climax over the next few days and follow www.facebook.com/BBCOne, @ BBCOne and @bbcdoctorwho and bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

The special live show is made by BBC Entertainment and Events for BBC One, Guy Freeman is Executive producer and Pinki Chambers is Executive Commissioning Editor. Commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One.

The show will be simulcast live on BBC America. Doctor Who is produced by BBC Cymru Wales.

watzizname 02-08-2013 06:32

If it wasn't for the "Impossible Girl" conclusion during The Name of The Doctor, i would have put money on Jenna Coleman being the twelfth Doctor.

That said, it is Steven Moffat at the helm, so i still might :D

Anonymouse 02-08-2013 16:14

Hang on - what happened to John Hurt?

Pierre 02-08-2013 16:33

John hurt has already been the doctor, although we are yet to see it!

I'd prefer an older doctor.

Sean Bean would be good.

v0id 02-08-2013 16:46

Revealing who it is should be done at the time of the regeneration, not months before.

Chris 02-08-2013 17:08

That's not practical. Once the new guy is on set, a leak is all but inevitable. AFAIK the casting of a new Doctor has always been announced well ahead of the actor's first appearance in the show.

MalteseFalcon 02-08-2013 17:30

Back in the 70's it might have been possible for new doctors to be kept secet. However with Facebook, Twitter and people using mobiles/tablets to take pictures videos means that it would be nigh on impossible to stop a leak to the world of a new doctor's identity.

Whatever happened to Idris Elba? I understood that it was going to be either a black male as the doctor or JLC was going to be the first female doctor. Either way, I won't be watching. Watched a couple of episodes back when Billie Piper was in it and just couldn't get into it.

Chris 02-08-2013 18:15

It is vanishingly unlikely that they will cast a female. Despite the tweaks in personality that occur from actor to actor, the Doctor is, has always been, essentially an English gentleman. The show doesn't need stunt casting to make pointless statements about sexual equality. Time Ladies have featured in the show often enough, and the Time Lady companion of the late 70s and early 80s (Romana) was pointedly more capable and highly qualified than the Doctor.

dilli-theclaw 02-08-2013 18:41

I only just got used to Matt!

Who will the next one be? No idea but I bet Mr Moffat will make an interesting choice.

Stephen 02-08-2013 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 35604628)
Hang on - what happened to John Hurt?

He is a Doctor but not The Doctor. Seems to most that he will be between the 8th and 9th. Probably did some bad things during the time war. So his memory was forgotten about.

Maggy 02-08-2013 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35604680)
Back in the 70's it might have been possible for new doctors to be kept secet. However with Facebook, Twitter and people using mobiles/tablets to take pictures videos means that it would be nigh on impossible to stop a leak to the world of a new doctor's identity.

Whatever happened to Idris Elba? I understood that it was going to be either a black male as the doctor or JLC was going to be the first female doctor. Either way, I won't be watching. Watched a couple of episodes back when Billie Piper was in it and just couldn't get into it.

Apparently he's going to be Nelson Mandela in a biopic about the great man though he might be available later.