Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Smell in Washing Machine (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704980)

alanbjames 05-06-2017 11:59

Smell in Washing Machine

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a Servis M6500 washing machine which i have cared for and is well looked after and ive never abused in anyway. I use Daz washing powder and comfort softner and always have.

The reason for this post is when im washing im getting a dirty water smell in the drum and sometimes on my clothes. Now i was suggested to try this Dr Backhamms powder which is supposed to sort it and ive tried it twice but still the problem persists.

The machine is 9 years old and going fine but i just cant solve this issue.

Anyone wanna suggest what i can try?
Thanks.

SnoopZ 05-06-2017 12:03

Re: Smell in Washing Machine

Check your waste pipes for blockage.

AbyssUnderground 05-06-2017 12:03

I run mine empty with a splash of bleach in it every month or two on the highest temperature wash it will do (90*c). Don't use too much as it froths up A LOT. A small squirt will do (about 2-3 tablespoons max).

Taf 05-06-2017 12:59

Any washing machine cleaner will do the job, but remove the powder tray and wash it in the sink, and spray the hole it fits in with a bleach-based kitchen cleaner. The number of machines I've found to be plastered in black mould behind the soap tray.......

alanbjames 05-06-2017 16:03

Just found a small brown puddle under the front of the machine.

Either there is a blockage or i have a leak and need a new machine. My brother who is good with DIY and electricals is coming around tomorrow and told me not to use machine yet which is obvious.

Taf 05-06-2017 16:42

Brown often means rust. It can also mean dirt and fungal growth dripping down from the soap tray. Or foam bubbling up from the drum and bypassing the soap tray. When was the last time you cleaned the drain filter?

Mick Fisher 05-06-2017 18:00

Over use of liquid detergent and/or conditioner can lead to the inner surface of the outer drum becoming coated in a smelly slime.

This is rare but I have come across it in the wild. I could think only of removing the drum assembly and physically cleaning it all out but this was not cost effective due to the age of the machine so advised to scrap.

The client later told me that they changed their detergent and carried on using the appliance, over time (a few months) the smell gradually ceased.

Julian 05-06-2017 18:10

biggest cause of smell in washing machine is leaving the door closed when not in use.

Leave the door ajar when not in use will help.

GrimUpNorth 05-06-2017 18:31

A good splash or two of white vinegar in the wash will help with the musty smell.

Cheers

Dave

alanbjames 05-06-2017 19:24

Filter is cleaned every few months, my brother does it when he comes over as im disabled from a stroke i cannot do these things so theres a set list of what he does when he comes over.

We will see when bro comes over and see what happens and will let u know.

raging bull 06-06-2017 07:53

When the boss complains about the washer smelling I first resort is putting the washer onto a high heat setting without anything in. (90°C)
Surprising the amount of residue powder build up, depending on weekly usage the above I do every six months.

Ken W 06-06-2017 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35901869)
When the boss complains about the washer smelling I first resort is putting the washer onto a high heat setting without anything in. (90°C)
Surprising the amount of residue powder build up, depending on weekly usage the above I do every six months.

That is what the manufacturers of my machine advise.

alanbjames 07-06-2017 15:20

Well i feel like a right idiot, first off thanks for the bleech idea that sorted the smell, as for the water well that is a different story.

In my fridge freezer i have a water dispenser which i always put blackcurrent squash in, whoever filled it last didnt put the bottom on correct and it was seeping down onto the floor right next to my washing machine and under the left leg making me think it was the machine, my brother found it right away. It was either my son or his boyfriend who filled it last so im gonna bang some heads together.

weenie 07-06-2017 15:53

At least you got it sorted Alan, the question is now who will own up to the blackcurrent squash ;) As for the smell in the washing machine I do the splash of bleach once a month as I find this works far better than any so called washing machine cleaner (Dr Beckmann Service-It Deep Clean & Dettol Washing Machine Cleaner) as I have tried both of these and I found Dr Beckmann left a smell and the dettol one made very little difference tbh and the plus side to using bleach is it's far cheaper.

Glad you got it all sorted.