Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   SkyHD dates getting bumped already (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47468)

Paulie 18-05-2006 16:56

SkyHD dates getting bumped already

It seems like a lot of people are having their install dates bumped back due to a lack of boxes. Just been over at avforums and they aren`t a happy bunch. Check out the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344364

orangebird 19-05-2006 10:18

Re: SkyHD dates getting bumped already

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulie
It seems like a lot of people are having their install dates bumped back due to a lack of boxes. Just been over at avforums and they aren`t a happy bunch. Check out the thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344364

Blimey Paulie, you want to watch that you don't get banned for posting anything less than favourable about Sky. I suggest you redo this post, saying how fab Sky are, whilst pointing out all the bad bits about ntl, and watch your rep go through the roof! ;) :rolleyes:

Chris 19-05-2006 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird
Blimey Paulie, you want to watch that you don't get banned for posting anything less than favourable about Sky. I suggest you redo this post, saying how fab Sky are, whilst pointing out all the bad bits about ntl, and watch your rep go through the roof! ;) :rolleyes:

You are a bad, bad bird. Get back in your cage. :p:

orangebird 19-05-2006 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
You are a bad, bad bird. Get back in your cage. :p:

It's my birthday, the only day I'm allowed out of my cage!!! :D

Paulie 19-05-2006 18:38

Well happy Birdday to ya ;)

P.S This seems to have caused quite a stir amongst the following now.

TheBlueRaja 19-05-2006 20:45

Its a rip off anyway - how anyone can justify £1000 plus for telly per year is beyond me.

And all for 9, yes nine, channels in glorious Hi-Def.

Millay 19-05-2006 20:51

£1000 + per year... whered you get those figures from?

Im pleased i didnt spend out the £300 on a box for the world cup now, wait till they get cheaper me thinks..

TheBlueRaja 19-05-2006 20:54

300 quid for the box

Then to get all the HD channels your looking at 52 quid a month (624 quid) add on top of that your Telly Licence and voila - 1000 plus for HD telly.

Isnt that a great deal?

jellybaby 22-05-2006 19:39

Bit more info released

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5003728.stm

Neil 22-05-2006 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
300 quid for the box

Then to get all the HD channels your looking at 52 quid a month (624 quid) add on top of that your Telly Licence and voila - 1000 plus for HD telly.

Isnt that a great deal?

It's not like it's obligatory or anything.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

No one is holding a gun to your head.

New technology costs, always has done & always will do. :shrug:

TheBlueRaja 22-05-2006 22:28

All im saying is that its a LOT of money for 9 channels and apparently Sky One HD is worse than Sky One SD somehow and there is grainyness to the picture on BBC HD.

The Nat Geo channel is pretty good though they say.

All im saying is that its overpriced, immature technology, and IMO you would eb daft to spend that amount of money for the channels that are currently on offer.

ESPECIALLY if your install date is after the world cup.

Paulie 22-05-2006 23:10

Reading about the graininess on the av forums, it seems a lot of that has to do with certain tv`s and the contrast.

There`s quite a lot of info there now, one of the main concerns looks like the 1080i, 720p or auto settings. Auto it seems, screws up a bit on the chanel hopping.

I`m still wondering if this first batch of boxes is flawed, and has been pushed out to save face on the releaase date. A lot of software downloads and dead boxes have been reported today.

Neil 23-05-2006 07:28

Quote:

All im saying is that its a LOT of money for 9 channels and apparently Sky One HD is worse than Sky One SD somehow and there is grainyness to the picture on BBC HD.

All im saying is that its overpriced, immature technology, and IMO you would eb daft to spend that amount of money for the channels that are currently on offer.

ESPECIALLY if your install date is after the world cup.

I do hear you m8, & I do kinda agree with what you are saying, but it's your opinion that it's overpriced etc-one man's salt etc.

Any product is only 'worth' what someone is willing to pay, & if people are willing to pay £300 for Sky's HD Service, then so be it....

Chris 23-05-2006 14:12

Quote:

On the contrary ... this is the only channel I have seen demonstrated in-store (once in Dixons and once in John Lewis) and on both occasions, there were artefacts clearly visible in the picture. Nice, hi-res artefacts they were too. I had the impression that it was only possible to see them because the picture was in HD. I wasn't very impressed.

I fear that, as with DAB, the broadcasters are going to be stingy with the bandwidth in order to go for quantity over quality. I don't own a DAB set and I don't see myself having a HD telly for many years to come.

Neil 23-05-2006 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
On the contrary ... this is the only channel I have seen demonstrated in-store (once in Dixons and once in John Lewis) and on both occasions, there were artefacts clearly visible in the picture. Nice, hi-res artefacts they were too. I had the impression that it was only possible to see them because the picture was in HD. I wasn't very impressed.

Are you sure it was a live HD feed m8?

I've seen those clips, & invariably all they are are DVDs connected to an HD Ready TV by S-Video or Scart. :erm: