Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The PS4 Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692144)

BenMcr 22-02-2013 12:32

Re: Ps4 no thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540114)
Sony are doing the same that is the point I have been making

No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-...ond-hand-games

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35540119)
No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-...ond-hand-games

big climb down I did not see that yesterday

Stephen 22-02-2013 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35540111)
With the rumour that the M$ xbox720 will restrict the play of used/2ndhand games then I'm tempted to ditch m$ and go with Sony the next time around.

This is nonsense, it was also a rumour for the PS4 and its been said that it will still pay used games.

Parsonally I think people are getting too carried away saying features are missing and the machine wasn't shown.

It was purely a console announcement not a launch as such. As its not due out Till Holiday 2013, ie end of the year many parts of the system hardware and software features have still to be finalised.

I bet that by E3 in May/June the console will be shown off along with full details of the sytem and its features.

After the few games shown and the power of the PS4 I am definitly going to be getting one when it gets released in the UK. Which I think maybe be Spring 2014 if the USA and Japan get it at the end of this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35540044)
Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

I will happily keep my PS3 if I want to play my PS3 games both physical and PSN downloads. Not being able to play them on a new system isn't that big a deal at all.

Also its entirly possible that after a while PS3/PS2 and PS1 games may be come available on PSN after a while. Sony did after all start to relelase old generation games on the PS3 PSN.

Its way too early to slate a system when its literally only been announced. Even the controller isn't the 'Final' design as it has been menetioned there will probably be a few tweaks before launch.

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 12:44

I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol

roger skillin 22-02-2013 13:27

People moaning about having loads of games on PSN , when i got my PS3 the day it came out, i brought it because the games were amazing. I also had a PS2 with loads of games which never ever got used after the purchase.
Do you really think you'll want to play a PS3 game once you start playing the new, better looking games on the PS4?
I'm guessing for me, the only game i'll still play will be GT5, that is until a GT6 comes out.

Hom3r 22-02-2013 19:20

I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS

adzii_nufc 22-02-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35540372)
I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS

Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility

BenMcr 22-02-2013 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35540467)
Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility

Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 22:21

they can all run an emulator that runs 99% ps2 games flawlessly on the PS3 if they have a CFW on it

Bogof 23-02-2013 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35540044)
Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540121)
big climb down I did not see that yesterday

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540126)
I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?

alexcopeland 23-02-2013 04:03

Sony will have a service that will allow streaming of past generations playstation games. They have bought out a company to do so and the PS4 has a dedicated ARM chip to make it all possible.

I voted defo. Love my PS3 and will gladly trade it in for the new one.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/15...es-reports-wsj

tizmeinnit 23-02-2013 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogof (Post 35540525)
You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?

Sony may not have said anything but they did patent the technology to do it. That is what sent the rumours flying http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-03-sony-patents-tech-to-block-use-of-second-hand-games

Heard of homebrew boy yo as I have said in this thread the PS3 once jailbroken can play ps2 games and do a lot of other things that has nothing to do with piracy. Whether I have a peg leg and a parrot has nothing to do with you and for you to have a pop in my direction I surely hope every aspect of your life is clean ,no speedings ,no pot smoking or any other drug, no smoking while driving or using a mobile phone no downloaded illegal mp3 , no mp3s off your mates , You pay for every single film you have ever watched or not needed to. Only you know for sure you are clean so I hope you are and not a hipocrite

v0id 23-02-2013 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogof (Post 35540525)

....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids ;)

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35540472)
Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible.. They also only stopped producing the PS2 in December

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

tizmeinnit 23-02-2013 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35540780)
....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids ;)

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

they took it out with firmware I believe same as the option to install a new OS

Tezcatlipoca 23-02-2013 19:01

Only "Other OS" was taken out via a firmware update.

PS2 backwards compatibility was removed via taking out the last remaining PS2 chip inside the PS3 during another hardware revision. It wasn't removed from PS3s that already had it.

The first generation of PS3s, as launched in Japan and North America, contained both the actual PS2 CPU ("Emotion Engine") and GPU ("Graphics Synthesizer" [sic]). This enabled full PS2 backwards compatibility via hardware.

The second generation, as launched in Europe, contained only the PS2 GPU. PS2 backwards compatibility was achieved via that plus software emulation of the CPU.

The third generation onwards, beginning with the "40GB Fat", contained no PS2 hardware at all, and featured no PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

First and second generation PS3s can still play PS2 games, regardless of firmware updates.

-----------

As for the PS4... I'll wait.

I don't have the space, connections, or plug sockets for another console, so could not have a PS4 and keep my PS3... and I don't want to get rid of my PS3 unless I can still play the Uncharted games and a few others.

Once the price goes down, and once the PS3 game streaming eventually comes about, then I'll consider getting one.