Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   'Beware of Jews' sign or Just Art ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704620)

Mick 15-03-2017 19:42

'Beware of Jews' sign or Just Art ?

I have to say, I don't think this is art, I think it's a sign :erm: of someones sick joke or prank, either way it's been reported to the Police...

http://news.sky.com/story/beware-of-...olice-10803064

Quote:

Franck Allais has apologised to those upset by his art, but insists "there was absolutely nothing religious" about his project.

Damien 15-03-2017 19:48

Re: 'Beware of Jews' sign or Just Art ?

Idiot. How were Jewish people meant to take that any other way without the context? 'Ironic' anti-Semitism isn't going to work if no one knows you're being ironic, especially given the escalation of anti-Semitism over the last 10 years.

Kursk 15-03-2017 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35890147)
Idiot. How were Jewish people meant to take that any other way without the context? 'Ironic' anti-Semitism isn't going to work if no one knows you're being ironic, especially given the escalation of anti-Semitism over the last 10 years.

Absolutely agree. Quite apart from the claimed 'context' the sign is illegal in the road/traffic furniture sense and should be removed asap if it hasn't been already.

papa smurf 15-03-2017 19:59

it looks like stan laurel

Kursk 15-03-2017 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35890149)
it looks like stan laurel

hrhrhr, yeah..playing pocket billiards too

Ramrod 15-03-2017 20:07

Very poor taste if it's meant to be a joke.

Arthurgray50@blu 15-03-2017 20:42

Charlie Chaplin. No, it was a piece of art. But l think in bad taste. Sadly this is the world we live in now.

TheDaddy 15-03-2017 20:50

I don't think it's that funny but then I don't think it's that offensive either. What I do think though is the amount of fuss made about it has publicised it far beyond it deserved, I bet the person who put it up is delighted.

Arthurgray50@blu 15-03-2017 21:06

The Daddy.,
Its probably what the artist wanted.

Stuart 15-03-2017 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35890144)
I have to say, I don't think this is art, I think it's a sign :erm: of someones sick joke or prank, either way it's been reported to the Police...

http://news.sky.com/story/beware-of-...olice-10803064

I don't consider it art, I actually consider it offensive, and quite possibly a hate crime.

That said, there is a group of artists who create things to get people talking, then call them art. This is where we get the sheep mounted in Formaldehyde, Tracy Emin's bed etc.

This sign, offensive though it is, illegal though it may be, certainly has people talking.

nomadking 15-03-2017 21:33

Quote:

had been put up in Stamford Hill, north London - an area with a large Orthodox Jewish population.
And how does that situation arise without them being racist?

Damien 15-03-2017 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35890183)

The Jewish people you mean?

Similar groups often converge near each other. That's pretty much human nature. If you were an expat somewhere else in the world, especially somewhere which is culturally different, then you're more likely to want to live near other British people.

I think in this case it's largely historical. Generations of families who lived in the same area coupled with Jewish immigrants moving to places where they had existing friends or family in the late 1800s and up to the 1930s. It would also be easier to practice their faith if they lived near each other and near religious facilities/shops. I also imagine that the history of persecution they've faced made them more likely to group together and more alienated from the rest of society.

nomadking 15-03-2017 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35890192)
The Jewish people you mean?

Similar groups often converge near each other. That's pretty much human nature. If you were an expat somewhere else in the world, especially somewhere which is culturally different, then you're more likely to want to live near other British people.

I think in this case it's largely historical. Generations of families who lived in the same area coupled with Jewish immigrants moving to places where they had existing friends or family in the late 1800s and up to the 1930s. It would also be easier to practice their faith if they lived near each other and near religious facilities/shops. I also imagine that the history of persecution they've faced made them more likely to group together and more alienated from the rest of society.

The only way they and other similar groups, could remain that "racially pure" is by being racist. Only marrying and dealing with there "own kind" and insisting that anyone from outside that marries into their group, has to convert. Imagine if C of E/Protestants did that?

Many years ago there was a TV series that had Deaf clubs from different town/cities, eg Newcastle, Liverpool etc, then along comes a Jewish Deaf club? Why?

TheDaddy 16-03-2017 04:37

Storm in a tea cup

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...eported-police

papa smurf 16-03-2017 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35890183)

i thought being Jewish was a religious leaning ,how is the sign racist in nature Jewish is not a race its a lifestyle choice .