Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

denphone 11-02-2017 17:58

Re: UK Exit of EU (Brexit)

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885209)
Well, Teresa May was a remainer, but she's putting the majority vote of the nation above her own personal preference for the remain agenda.

Not sure how your argument stacks up in the case of the Prime Minister.

If you think politicians will start to put the nation first before themselves you might have to wait a while PB...

1andrew1 11-02-2017 19:51

Theresa May faces public backlash over hard Brexit, poll finds
In a sign that public support for the government’s push for a hard Brexit is increasingly precarious, just 35% of the public said they backed Britain leaving the EU without an agreement with other states. The UK would then fall back on to World Trade Organisation (WTO) tariffs, which MPs and business leaders have claimed would devastate the economy.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...klash-icm-poll

Brexit will cause 'vanishingly small' fall in net migration – report
Theresa May’s attempt to reclaim control of UK borders after Brexit could reduce annual migration from the EU by just 50,000 – one-sixth of the current overall annual figure, according to new research...
Liam Fox, the international trade minister, accepted last week he did not know of any new free trade deal that did not also include liberalisation of migration rules between the two countries signing such agreements. Australia and India have already indicated they will seek preferential access for their workers as part of a free trade deal.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...gration-report

Ramrod 11-02-2017 20:03

It's not like the Guardian to report bad news about Brexit :D

Osem 11-02-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35885251)

Yeah, I'm truly shocked... :D

Of course some say that anyone the Guardian's critical of when it comes to the EU can't be that bad...

papa smurf 11-02-2017 20:10

Quote:

fake news for brexit bashers :)

Stuart 11-02-2017 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885209)
Well, Teresa May was a remainer, but she's putting the majority vote of the nation above her own personal preference for the remain agenda.

Not sure how your argument stacks up in the case of the Prime Minister.

No, I don't think she is putting the majority vote above her own preferences, simply because I think her own preferences don't go any further than furthering her own career. Look at her past. The polls were saying that remain would win, so she proclaimed she was pro remain. The second she found out that the leave camp had won, she was suddenly pro leave.

Osem 11-02-2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885255)
fake news for brexit bashers :)

Makes them feel less insecure. :D

Mick 11-02-2017 22:25

Oh dear, John Bercow admits to voting Remain (On Camera) in the Brexit Referendum last year, this guy seems to have forgot the remit of his own office duties. Impartiality.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-voted-remain/

Quote:

The Speaker of the House of Commons has become involved in a fresh row about political bias after he admitted voting to stay in the European Union and said immigration into Britain was a good thing.

John Bercow is already facing a vote of no confidence from MPs next week after he angered the Government by vetoing the idea of an address by President Donald Trump to both Houses of Parliament during his state visit later this year.

Mr K 11-02-2017 22:39

He's an MP and gets a vote like the rest of us. He only has to be impartial when being speaker; he spoke for the majority of MPs and public about the Trumpster so fair enough. I suspect he'll stay in the job.

passingbat 11-02-2017 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35885271)
No, I don't think she is putting the majority vote above her own preferences, simply because I think her own preferences don't go any further than furthering her own career. Look at her past. The polls were saying that remain would win, so she proclaimed she was pro remain. The second she found out that the leave camp had won, she was suddenly pro leave.

Well, whatever made her change her mind, works for me!

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Quote:

Exactly, just like BBC News; I'm completely shocked.

Kursk 12-02-2017 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885280)
Oh dear, John Bercow admits to voting Remain (On Camera) in the Brexit Referendum last year, this guy seems to have forgot the remit of his own office duties. Impartiality.....

He's overdue retirement to Knotty Ash with the rest of the Diddy Men :).

1andrew1 12-02-2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885280)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-voted-remain/

He also admitted to voting Conservative in 2015! Not very impartial of him.

Mick 12-02-2017 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35885281)
He's an MP and gets a vote like the rest of us. He only has to be impartial when being speaker; he spoke for the majority of MPs and public about the Trumpster so fair enough. I suspect he'll stay in the job.

He should have kept his trap shut. I never said he was not entitled to a vote and no he did not speak for the majority of MPs at all, he spoke up for some of the Labour Party and stupid as stupid does, the SNP, you miss the point entirely as usual.

(From same article in my post above):

Quote:

Parliamentary rules state: “The Speaker is the chief officer and highest authority of the House of Commons and must remain politically impartial at all times … therefore, on election the new Speaker must resign from their political party and remain separate from political issues even in retirement.”

GrimUpNorth 12-02-2017 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885295)
He should have kept his trap shut. I never said he was not entitled to a vote and no he did not speak for the majority of MPs at all, he spoke up for some of the Labour Party and stupid as stupid does, the SNP, you miss the point entirely as usual.

(From same article in my post above):

I feel a bit sorry for his constituents as democracy stops for them during his tenure due to the other parties not fielding candidates at elections.

Cheers

Grim

papa smurf 12-02-2017 09:56

Reverend is suspended from his job after telling MP Anna Soubry: 'I hope you burn in hell, evil b**ch'

Ms Soubry would ‘go down in history as a desperate and treacherous politician’ who wanted to shackle the UK in ‘European serfdom,’ he raged, adding: ‘Traitors are long remembered. May you burn in hell you evil bitch!’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4YSmyis8G
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

he missed out drunken .