Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

Cable Forum 06-02-2017 15:31

Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Brand new thread to discuss issues surrounding The UK Exit of the European Union.

Prior thread became bloated and it was becoming heated at times. Old thread will be closed and archived, as it was mainly about the Post debate and discussion after June 23rd 2016 Referendum.

It must be accepted on both sides of the argument that people have differing views. It is impossible for people to agree on stuff.

Similar issues with the old thread must not occur in this thread or action may be taken.

Stuart 06-02-2017 15:46

Re: UK Exit of EU (Brexit)

My own personal view is that regardless of whether we voted to leave or remain, I'd like to see us work together as a country to make things better. The trouble is, I am not convinced our current government have anyone's interests at heart but their own.

broadbandking 07-02-2017 15:35

I believe that if we can get a good deal on brexit then we will be on course for something great, I am sure the other countries wouldn't want to lose the money the UK spends on imports, due to our lack of a industry.

pip08456 07-02-2017 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35884441)
I believe that if we can get a good deal on brexit then we will be on course for something great, I am sure the other countries wouldn't want to lose the money the UK spends on imports, due to our lack of a industry.

Yes but it is a two way street, we also need exports. Not insurmountable though.

Mick 07-02-2017 15:56

Prime Minister Theresa May, going to China later this year, just been announced on news.

Paul 07-02-2017 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35884300)
I am not convinced our current government have anyone's interests at heart but their own.

I'm pretty sure that applies to the previous ones as well.

denphone 07-02-2017 18:37

Feathering their own nest and political ends springs to mind..

papa smurf 07-02-2017 19:17

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Brexit debate: MPs vote down Labour move to give parliament veto over Brexit deal by majority of 33 -

pip08456 07-02-2017 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35884475)
Feathering their own nest and political ends springs to mind..

Isn't that what being an MP is all about?

denphone 08-02-2017 05:29

Being a government or a MP means IMO the government and MP's putting the wider interests of this country first ahead of its own selfish personal interest's and agenda's and l have not seen that for a long long while sadly.

tweetiepooh 08-02-2017 09:41

As I mentioned in the old thread some MP's are in a bind over this issue. The country voted leave but their constituency may have voted to stay, in some cases by a large margin.

Because we have a representative system whose wishes should they most closely follow? The country or those who actually elected them. This isn't a conscience issue so I don't think MP's can simply follow their own agenda.

martyh 08-02-2017 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35884539)
As I mentioned in the old thread some MP's are in a bind over this issue. The country voted leave but their constituency may have voted to stay, in some cases by a large margin.

Because we have a representative system whose wishes should they most closely follow? The country or those who actually elected them. This isn't a conscience issue so I don't think MP's can simply follow their own agenda.

They should really be supporting the referendum result even if their constituents went the other way because come what may that is going to happen

pip08456 08-02-2017 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884635)
They should really be supporting the referendum result even if their constituents went the other way because come what may that is going to happen

If an MP won't uphold the wishes of his constituents what is he doing there? We know it won't change the referendum result but what's the point of voting for them if they won't represent you?

Osem 08-02-2017 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884638)
If an MP won't uphold the wishes of his constituents what is he doing there? We know it won't change the referendum result but what's the point of voting for them if they won't represent you?

Unless we have referenda about everything how is any MP supposed to know what that majority of their constituents want on any given topic? Even when we have a referendum the results can be disputed or challenged as we have seen.

martyh 08-02-2017 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884638)

As regards the vote the other night then there is nothing to uphold really, every mp should have voted the same way imo,but as for the future debates on how we leave Europe and the deal we get then i would agree that the MP's need to go with what their constituents want because each area in the country will feel the effect differently

Mick 08-02-2017 20:29

MPs have voted in favour of allowing the Prime Minister to trigger the formal process of leaving the EU by a Majority of 372.

For: 494.
Against: 122.

EU Exit bill Now passes to the Lords.

Meanwhile, Corbyn loses another Shadow cabinet minister, Clive Lewis has just resigned.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 20:37

Democracy has been shown the red card by Leave MPs including Boris Johnson, Andrea Leadsom, Chris Grayling. They have just cynically voted against the £350m pw they promised the NHS.

papa smurf 08-02-2017 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884689)
Democracy has been shown the red card by Leave MPs including Boris Johnson, Andrea Leadsom, Chris Grayling. They have just cynically voted against the £350m pw they promised the NHS.

suck it up and move on ;)

Mick 08-02-2017 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884689)

I am still waiting for that Emergency budget, that was needed after a leave result...

Next.... :rolleyes:

1andrew1 08-02-2017 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884693)
I am still waiting for that Emergency budget, that was needed after a leave result...

Next.... :rolleyes:

I'll help by explaining the situation to you Mick. The chancellor who made that threat (George Osborne) has been kicked into touch. The Leave MPs I mentioned are still in power and breaking their promises whilst the NHS suffers one of its worst periods.

papa smurf 08-02-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884695)
I'll help by explaining the situation to you Mick. The chancellor who made that threat (George Osborne) has been kicked into touch. The Leave MPs I mentioned are still in power and breaking their promises whilst the NHS suffers one of its worst periods.

we are still paying the eu as we haven't left yet when we do leave we can spend the money on whatever we want to

Mick 08-02-2017 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884695)

No need to explain anything to me. The point you have conveniently missed or ignored is that there was LIES told on both sides.

As for your point above about the NHS and it's current situation. Unless it has escaped your attention, we are still in the EU and paying the membership fee, we are not out yet, the sooner the better, as far as I am concerned.

Who knows what will happen once we leave and where the membership fee money will go once we are finally out?

But the argument about the 350m per week has been done to death and, while I cannot speak for other brexiteers, it was not the reason I voted to leave anyway.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884700)
No need to explain anything to me. The point you have conveniently missed or ignored is that there was LIES told on both sides.

As for your point above about the NHS and it's current situation. Unless it has escaped your attention, we are still in the EU and paying the membership fee, we are not out yet, the sooner the better, as far as I am concerned.

Who knows what will happen once we leave and where the membership fee money will go once we are finally out?

But the argument about the 350m per week has been done to death and, while I cannot speak for other brexiteers, it was not the reason I voted to leave anyway.

I'm not missing any point. This is not a debate on the morality or inaccuracy of any previous campaigns. These MPs had the chance today to give the NHS £350m pw when we leave the EU which is what they campaigned for. They have now cynically voted against what they campaigned for.

papa smurf 08-02-2017 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884702)
I'm not missing any point. This is not a debate on the morality or inaccuracy of any previous campaigns. These MPs had the chance today to give the NHS £350m pw when we leave the EU which is what they campaigned for. They have now cynically voted against what they campaigned for.

the campaign bus slogan was

we send the eu £350 million per week
LETS FUND OUR NHS INSTEAD
it doesn't say give it all to the nhs it says lets fund it

pip08456 08-02-2017 21:16

Add to that the campaigners said we could.Doesn't mean we would.

That said it depends how the economy does as to what we can put where.

Mick 08-02-2017 21:21

Quote:

I am not bothered. It is what it is.. many MPs have voted against various promises offered over the years. Fact of life Politicians make promises they don't always keep.

All I am bothered about it that we are now leaving that corrupted pile of dog mess, oh look, Greece looking like it needs yet another bailout, how many is this so far ? The EU is not working and we are leaving, thank goodness!!!

pip08456 08-02-2017 21:24

Oh yes Mick, Greece in focus as investors fear fresh crisis –as it happened

papa smurf 08-02-2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35884708)
I am not bothered. It is what it is.. many MPs have voted against various promises offered over the years. Fact of life Politicians make promises they don't always keep.

All I am bothered about it that we are now leaving that corrupted pile of dog mess, oh look, Greece looking like it needs yet another bailout, how many is this so far ? The EU is not working and we are leaving, thank goodness!!!

Greeks aren't working past 55 aren't paying taxes and aren't paying off their debt can't imagine whats wrong ;)

pip08456 08-02-2017 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884713)
Greeks aren't working past 55 aren't paying taxes and aren't paying off their debt can't imagine whats wrong ;)

When I left school I contracted with the Government to work until I was 65. Now I have to go to 66.

It's OK for the Government to change the boundaries but what would happen if I tried to say I can't work after 64?

Buggrall!

Pierre 08-02-2017 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884699)
we are still paying the eu as we haven't left yet when we do leave we can spend the money on whatever we want to

What the smurf said.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

Quote:

The bus never said give the NHS 350million a week.

It said we give the EU 350M a week, let's fund our NHS.

That didn't give a value as to how much of the 350M we use.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884704)

That would have saved me some typing.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884704)

Please focus on the facts - Boris & Co campaigned on a £350m a week pledge for the NHS once we leave the EU.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/682...gel-Farage-NHS

Pierre 08-02-2017 22:18

To be fair the "let's give our NHS 350M" is a lot more damning.

But it's still a suggestion and not a promise.

I think we've been through all this before, several times.

1andrew1 08-02-2017 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35884720)
The bus never said give the NHS 350million a week.
It said we give the EU 350M a week, let's fund our NHS.
That didn't give a value as to how much of the 350M we use.[COLOR="Silver"]

The Campaign's marketing literature stated explicitly that £350m pw would be invested in the NHS.
I agree we've been through this before so why people start mentioning buses is beyond me. The fact remains that these politicians had an opportunity to honour their promise today. They failed democracy by not doing so.

papa smurf 08-02-2017 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884726)
Please focus on the facts - Boris & Co campaigned on a £350m a week pledge for the NHS once we leave the EU.

the daily express :shocked: whats nigel farage got to do with it :shrug:

we are all brexiters now, its time to work together and forget this petty nit picking its all been voted on/ its done with /no use dwelling on what might have been .

1andrew1 08-02-2017 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35884730)
the daily express :shocked: whats nigel farage got to do with it :shrug:

'Tis my Brexit bible, papa. ;)

pip08456 08-02-2017 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884731)
'Tis my Brexit bible, papa. ;)

Then get a life and stop being a prat and arguing just for the sake of it.

Cable Forum 09-02-2017 00:41

Polite reminder from the first post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cable Forum (Post 35884295)

Similar issues with the old thread must not occur in this thread or action may be taken.

Cheap insults and digs at one another is not acceptable and it must stop. Last warning.

Ramrod 09-02-2017 07:25

Diane Abbott spurns David Davis in Strangers’ Bar
Quote:

After the government’s Brexit Bill passed through the Commons unamended, whips, government ministers and Brexiteers are in the mood to celebrate.

Alas, not everyone is on the same page. Although Diane Abbott was well enough to vote for Article 50 today, the shadow home secretary is far from happy about the government’s plans for a ‘Tory Brexit’. So, it was unfortunate timing that she ran into an elated David Davis in Strangers’ bar this evening. Riding high on the day’s events, the Brexit secretary approached Abbott and proceeded to try and plant a celebratory kiss on her. Her response? Abbott proceeded to tell him to ‘f— off’.
:rofl:

heero_yuy 09-02-2017 09:15

Blimey! He must have been on something stronger than a commons victory to even try that stunt let alone be seen dead in the same room as that "woman". :D

OLD BOY 09-02-2017 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35884729)
The Campaign's marketing literature stated explicitly that £350m pw would be invested in the NHS.
I agree we've been through this before so why people start mentioning buses is beyond me. The fact remains that these politicians had an opportunity to honour their promise today. They failed democracy by not doing so.

Well I certainly didn't vote leave to have all that money going to the NHS, which frankly is a bottomless pit. The NHS needs a total re-think more in line with the original intention of Aneurin Bevin. The money would be better spent in adult social care and paying off our debts.

The NHS needs a root and branch review. People should not be permitted in this country unless they have private health insurance so we don't end up providing them with a free service at our expense. A&E should admit only genuine emergencies. All doctors surgeries should be open through the evenings and at weekends. That would be a good start.

I voted to leave to get better control over immigration (so that we admit only those who have job offers or who will not be reliant on the State) and to regain our sovereignty over stifling EU laws. I suspect that most thinking leavers did so for much the same reasons.

Osem 09-02-2017 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35884841)
Well I certainly didn't vote leave to have all that money going to the NHS, which frankly is a bottomless pit. The NHS needs a total re-think more in line with the original intention of Aneurin Bevin. The money would be better spent in adult social care and paying off our debts.

The NHS needs a root and branch review. People should not be permitted in this country unless they have private health insurance so we don't end up providing them with a free service at our expense. A&E should admit only genuine emergencies. All doctors surgeries should be open through the evenings and at weekends. That would be a good start.

I voted to leave to get better control over immigration (so that we admit only those who have job offers or who will not be reliant on the State) and to regain our sovereignty over stifling EU laws. I suspect that most thinking leavers did so for much the same reasons.

Are you sure you're not confused about that? Maybe what you really wanted to do was stay within the EU... :D

OLD BOY 09-02-2017 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35884857)
Are you sure you're not confused about that? Maybe what you really wanted to do was stay within the EU... :D

Now, don't you start ! :D

EnglishMan 09-02-2017 21:12

As a WHITE ENGLISH person I think Brexit is a good thing. An yes, the opinion of White English people is important.

Pierre 09-02-2017 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMan (Post 35884944)
As a WHITE ENGLISH person I think Brexit is a good thing. An yes, the opinion of White English people is important.

Troll

GrimUpNorth 09-02-2017 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMan (Post 35884944)

Wonder if you'll last as long as you did last few times you were here. Your posting style (and dropping the 'd' from and) is just such a give away.

Cheers

Grim

Maggy 09-02-2017 23:06

Can I remind everyone that there has already been one request from the team to be polite and avoid name calling. If you can't manage this I suggest that stepping away from the PC for a time might be a better response or to even try the novel approach of using the ignore function

Kursk 10-02-2017 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35884764)

Thank goodness Diane is well again; she must have been ill for at least 45 minutes. Such a delicate flower with a comprehensive command of the English language; she certainly knows her expletives :rolleyes:

TheDaddy 10-02-2017 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35884977)
Thank goodness Diane is well again; she must have been ill for at least 45 minutes. Such a delicate flower with a comprehensive command of the English language; she certainly knows her expletives :rolleyes:

It is a relief she's feeling better, imagine how bad she must have felt if this guy could get in but she couldn't

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/polit...-a3460551.html

Kursk 10-02-2017 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35884978)
It is a relief she's feeling better, imagine how bad she must have felt if this guy could get in but she couldn't

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/polit...-a3460551.html

She does appear to be having a dreadful bout of constipation. No one could vote if they were that full of s

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/02/9.jpg
hit.

heero_yuy 11-02-2017 10:34

Quote:

SCOTLAND would have to ditch the pound and sign up for the euro if it wants to split from the UK and join the EU, a top Eurocrat said today.

Jacqueline Minor, the European Commission’s UK representative, added an independent Scotland would have to wait in line for membership along with states such as Serbia.

She also poured cold water on claims Scotland would be able to carve out a special deal in Brexit negotiations.

Speaking in Edinburgh, she said: “The negotiations will be with the United Kingdom and that means essentially the Westminster Government.”

The Commission says Scotland would not be able to “inherit” the UK’s membership and would be in the same position as Balkan nations that have applied to join – including Serbia, Bosnia Herzogovina, and Montenegro.
Linky

That'll deflate the Scottish wind bagpipe. :D

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Meanwhile in another blow to remainers risible project fear predictions:

Quote:

BRITAIN has scored a post-Brexit vote hat-trick with builders, manufacturers and exporters all thriving.

The UK’s industrial sector grew at its fastest annual rate, 4.3 per cent, in nearly six years in December.

Construction also beat expectations to rise by 1.8 per cent month on month, up from just 0.4 per cent in November

A third boost came from the shrinking trade deficit as exports boomed, particularly to non-EU countries where there was a £1.1billion rise.

The three successes lifted the FTSE 250, a better indicator of the UK economy’s success than the FTSE 100 index, to its highest ever close. It ended the day up 0.47 per cent, or 87.77 at 18,715.36.
Linky

1andrew1 11-02-2017 11:55

Importance of sorting out post-Brexit medicine regulation highlighted by medical experts. I'm hopeful that the UK government will come to an agreement with the European regulator and this shows the dangers of what some call a "clean break" from the EU.
Quote:

Lives will be lost if the UK sets up its own medicines regulator after Brexit and cuts ties with the European body currently responsible for ensuring drugs are safe, a leading cancer specialist has warned.
Professor Paul Workman, president of The Institute of Cancer Research, said pharmaceutical companies would naturally seek regulatory approval for new drugs in the biggest markets first, potentially putting the UK behind the European Union, United States and Japan.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7573851.html

Osem 11-02-2017 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35885176)
Linky

That'll deflate the Scottish wind bagpipe. :D

First it was the oil price and now it's the EU. Do they have a plan B yet? :D

1andrew1 11-02-2017 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35885193)
First it was the oil price and now it's the EU. Do they have a plan B yet? :D

I don't see them holding a devolution referendum any time soon.

papa smurf 11-02-2017 14:18

REVEALED: Britain CAN quit EU without a Brexit withdrawal agreement and save £150 BILLION

A top legal expert has told Express.co.uk that under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, Britain has the legal right to leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement should they not agree to exit terms.

And Prime Minister Theresa May can easily thwart any attempts by EU leaders, including Polish politician Donald Tusk and Luxembourg's former Prime Minister Jean Claude Juncker, to hold the British tax payer to ransom by simply saying “No!”.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/765...ause-WTO-rules

1andrew1 11-02-2017 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885202)
REVEALED: Britain CAN quit EU without a Brexit withdrawal agreement and save £150 BILLION

A top legal expert has told Express.co.uk that under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, Britain has the legal right to leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement should they not agree to exit terms.

And Prime Minister Theresa May can easily thwart any attempts by EU leaders, including Polish politician Donald Tusk and Luxembourg's former Prime Minister Jean Claude Juncker, to hold the British tax payer to ransom by simply saying “No!”.

Christopher O'Donnell. Thought the name was familiar.

"U.S. securities regulators sued two former financial advisers at Morgan Stanley Friday for defrauding at least 50 mutual fund companies and their shareholders.
Darryl Goldstein, 36, and Christopher O'Donnell, 45, engaged in deceptive acts between January 2002 and August 2003 that were designed to circumvent mutual funds' restrictions on market timing and generate fees for themselves, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission alleged in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan."
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22263917

pip08456 11-02-2017 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885202)

That's always been an option. We don't like the agreement then just leave.
Nothing they can do about it but it would harm getting a trade deal with them so not necessarily the preferred option.

Subsection 3 of article 50 actually states.

Quote:

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

papa smurf 11-02-2017 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885204)
Christopher O'Donnell. Thought the name was familiar.

"U.S. securities regulators sued two former financial advisers at Morgan Stanley Friday for defrauding at least 50 mutual fund companies and their shareholders.
Darryl Goldstein, 36, and Christopher O'Donnell, 45, engaged in deceptive acts between January 2002 and August 2003 that were designed to circumvent mutual funds' restrictions on market timing and generate fees for themselves, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission alleged in a complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan."
http://www.cnbc.com/id/22263917

that's nice whats it got to do with brexit :shrug:

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35885205)
That's always been an option. We don't like the agreement then just leave.
Nothing they can do about it but it would harm getting a trade deal with them so not necessarily the preferred option.

Subsection 3 of article 50 actually states.

we live in interesting times eh :)

passingbat 11-02-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35884524)
Being a government or a MP means IMO the government and MP's putting the wider interests of this country first ahead of its own selfish personal interest's and agenda's .

Well, Teresa May was a remainer, but she's putting the majority vote of the nation above her own personal preference for the remain agenda.

Not sure how your argument stacks up in the case of the Prime Minister.

RizzyKing 11-02-2017 15:34

No no no Passingbat Theresa may must be roundly criticised at every opportunity for trying to sort out the mess that david cameron created him and georgey boy have skipped off into the private sunset and are not to blame one jot. All things considered i think shes doing as good a job as anyone would under the circumstances and her plans in other areas are very welcome just a shame they won't get sorted until brexit is.

passingbat 11-02-2017 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35885213)
No no no Passingbat Theresa may must be roundly criticised at every opportunity for trying to sort out the mess that david cameron created him and georgey boy have skipped off into the private sunset and are not to blame one jot. All things considered i think shes doing as good a job as anyone would under the circumstances and her plans in other areas are very welcome just a shame they won't get sorted until brexit is.

Ah, David Cameron and Georgey boy; I remember them. Leaders of the Remain brigade if I remember correctly.

They were the ones that categorically said that a vote to leave the EU was a vote to leave the single market. I like that. Well done Mrs May for following through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn2hSVfqtYc

denphone 11-02-2017 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885209)
Well, Teresa May was a remainer, but she's putting the majority vote of the nation above her own personal preference for the remain agenda.

If you think politicians will start to put the nation first before themselves you might have to wait a while PB...

1andrew1 11-02-2017 19:51

Theresa May faces public backlash over hard Brexit, poll finds
In a sign that public support for the government’s push for a hard Brexit is increasingly precarious, just 35% of the public said they backed Britain leaving the EU without an agreement with other states. The UK would then fall back on to World Trade Organisation (WTO) tariffs, which MPs and business leaders have claimed would devastate the economy.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...klash-icm-poll

Brexit will cause 'vanishingly small' fall in net migration – report
Theresa May’s attempt to reclaim control of UK borders after Brexit could reduce annual migration from the EU by just 50,000 – one-sixth of the current overall annual figure, according to new research...
Liam Fox, the international trade minister, accepted last week he did not know of any new free trade deal that did not also include liberalisation of migration rules between the two countries signing such agreements. Australia and India have already indicated they will seek preferential access for their workers as part of a free trade deal.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...gration-report

Ramrod 11-02-2017 20:03

It's not like the Guardian to report bad news about Brexit :D

Osem 11-02-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35885251)

Yeah, I'm truly shocked... :D

Of course some say that anyone the Guardian's critical of when it comes to the EU can't be that bad...

papa smurf 11-02-2017 20:10

Quote:

fake news for brexit bashers :)

Stuart 11-02-2017 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885209)

No, I don't think she is putting the majority vote above her own preferences, simply because I think her own preferences don't go any further than furthering her own career. Look at her past. The polls were saying that remain would win, so she proclaimed she was pro remain. The second she found out that the leave camp had won, she was suddenly pro leave.

Osem 11-02-2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885255)
fake news for brexit bashers :)

Makes them feel less insecure. :D

Mick 11-02-2017 22:25

Oh dear, John Bercow admits to voting Remain (On Camera) in the Brexit Referendum last year, this guy seems to have forgot the remit of his own office duties. Impartiality.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-voted-remain/

Quote:

The Speaker of the House of Commons has become involved in a fresh row about political bias after he admitted voting to stay in the European Union and said immigration into Britain was a good thing.

John Bercow is already facing a vote of no confidence from MPs next week after he angered the Government by vetoing the idea of an address by President Donald Trump to both Houses of Parliament during his state visit later this year.

Mr K 11-02-2017 22:39

He's an MP and gets a vote like the rest of us. He only has to be impartial when being speaker; he spoke for the majority of MPs and public about the Trumpster so fair enough. I suspect he'll stay in the job.

passingbat 11-02-2017 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35885271)
No, I don't think she is putting the majority vote above her own preferences, simply because I think her own preferences don't go any further than furthering her own career. Look at her past. The polls were saying that remain would win, so she proclaimed she was pro remain. The second she found out that the leave camp had won, she was suddenly pro leave.

Well, whatever made her change her mind, works for me!

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Quote:

Exactly, just like BBC News; I'm completely shocked.

Kursk 12-02-2017 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885280)
Oh dear, John Bercow admits to voting Remain (On Camera) in the Brexit Referendum last year, this guy seems to have forgot the remit of his own office duties. Impartiality.....

He's overdue retirement to Knotty Ash with the rest of the Diddy Men :).

1andrew1 12-02-2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885280)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-voted-remain/

He also admitted to voting Conservative in 2015! Not very impartial of him.

Mick 12-02-2017 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35885281)
He's an MP and gets a vote like the rest of us. He only has to be impartial when being speaker; he spoke for the majority of MPs and public about the Trumpster so fair enough. I suspect he'll stay in the job.

He should have kept his trap shut. I never said he was not entitled to a vote and no he did not speak for the majority of MPs at all, he spoke up for some of the Labour Party and stupid as stupid does, the SNP, you miss the point entirely as usual.

(From same article in my post above):

Quote:

Parliamentary rules state: “The Speaker is the chief officer and highest authority of the House of Commons and must remain politically impartial at all times … therefore, on election the new Speaker must resign from their political party and remain separate from political issues even in retirement.”

GrimUpNorth 12-02-2017 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885295)
He should have kept his trap shut. I never said he was not entitled to a vote and no he did not speak for the majority of MPs at all, he spoke up for some of the Labour Party and stupid as stupid does, the SNP, you miss the point entirely as usual.

(From same article in my post above):

I feel a bit sorry for his constituents as democracy stops for them during his tenure due to the other parties not fielding candidates at elections.

Cheers

Grim

papa smurf 12-02-2017 09:56

Reverend is suspended from his job after telling MP Anna Soubry: 'I hope you burn in hell, evil b**ch'

Ms Soubry would ‘go down in history as a desperate and treacherous politician’ who wanted to shackle the UK in ‘European serfdom,’ he raged, adding: ‘Traitors are long remembered. May you burn in hell you evil bitch!’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4YSmyis8G
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

he missed out drunken .

Ramrod 12-02-2017 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885312)
Reverend is suspended from his job after telling MP Anna Soubry: 'I hope you burn in hell, evil b**ch'

Ms Soubry would ‘go down in history as a desperate and treacherous politician’ who wanted to shackle the UK in ‘European serfdom,’ he raged, adding: ‘Traitors are long remembered. May you burn in hell you evil bitch!’

he missed out drunken .

Nope. Since you gave the Mail as the source, I don't believe you. Never happened. Fake news ;) :D

papa smurf 12-02-2017 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35885321)
Nope. Since you gave the Mail as the source, I don't believe you. Never happened. Fake news ;) :D

she's never met a drink she didn't like ;)

1andrew1 12-02-2017 11:24

Row erupts over David Davis' 'sexist' texts about Labour MP Diane Abbott
Brexit Secretary David Davis sparked a sexism row over claims he sent a text message which appeared to say he would not try to kiss Labour's Diane Abbott because he is "not blind".
The storm blew up after it was reported that the shadow home secretary told Mr Davis to "f*** off" after he seemed to lean in to try to embrace her in a Commons bar.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/polit...-a3464711.html

Ramrod 12-02-2017 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885324)
Row erupts over David Davis' 'sexist' texts about Labour MP Diane Abbott
Brexit Secretary David Davis sparked a sexism row over claims he sent a text message which appeared to say he would not try to kiss Labour's Diane Abbott because he is "not blind".
The storm blew up after it was reported that the shadow home secretary told Mr Davis to "f*** off" after he seemed to lean in to try to embrace her in a Commons bar.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/polit...-a3464711.html

Yep. This story just gets better :D

Quote:

After the incident, Mr Davis exchanged text messages with another Tory MP regarding the incident, according to the Mail on Sunday.

The newspaper reported that the friend texted Mr Davis, saying: "Cannot believe you made an attempt to give DA (Diane Abbott) a hug!"

The Cabinet minister replied: "Didn't, but the myth grows. I whispered in her ear, 'Thanks for your vote' - hence the 'F off'. I am not blind."
link :rofl:

1andrew1 12-02-2017 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35885338)
Yep. This story just gets better :D

link :rofl:

Who leaked/hacked the texts? Can't imagine either MP would.

Ramrod 12-02-2017 12:13

No idea.

papa smurf 12-02-2017 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885339)

them

passingbat 12-02-2017 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885339)

Why do we care about all this stuff? Sounds like both parties are at fault and acted a bit childishly. Yes we should expect better from people in their positions, but how many of us have acted a bit childishly in the past?

I personally don't see how relevant it is to these discussions, which surely are about policy not personality.

1andrew1 12-02-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885344)
Why do we care about all this stuff? Sounds like both parties are at fault and acted a bit childishly. Yes we should expect better from people in their positions, but how many of us have acted a bit childishly in the past?

I personally don't see how relevant it is to these discussions, which surely are about policy not personality.

It's not so much about what we feel about it but whether it has any political ramifications.

passingbat 12-02-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885347)
It's not so much about what we feel about it but whether it has any political ramifications.

It won't. Brexit is happening. This will not influence the terms in which we leave one iota.

1andrew1 12-02-2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885352)
It won't. Brexit is happening. This will not influence the terms in which we leave one iota.

No one has said it will influence the terms.

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Google the headline for full article. Another reason why we can't just leave tomorrow as some desire
Will Brexit complicate landing rights for UK flights?

The problem for Britain arises from potentially leaving the EU’s single aviation market, the world’s most liberal skies regime, and losing the operating rights that come with it — both in Europe and around the world.
Without an agreement to replace this, the UK’s legal fallback options are limited. And in negotiating new terms, levels of access start from a low base.
Europe’s unparalleled integration came through regulations that tore down national barriers and gave air carriers near unlimited rights to fly within Europe. This “big bang” in the early 1990s paved the way for low cost airlines such as easyJet, which admits it is a “product of the EU’s deregulation”.
“Pre-1992, it was all bilateral agreements, with strict rules on passenger numbers and services per week, the airlines that could operate, the airports served, and the prices offered,” says Thomas van der Wijngaart, aviation expert at Clyde & Co, the law firm.
The issue for the UK is that this integration is based on three things that are difficult to replicate from outside: 35 shared pieces of legislation, a common regulator in the European Aviation Safety Agency, and a common court to apply shared rules, the European Court of Justice, including non-discrimination against air carriers.

passingbat 12-02-2017 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885353)
No one has said it will influence the terms.

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Google the headline for full article. Another reason why we can't just leave tomorrow as some desire
Will Brexit complicate landing rights for UK flights?

The problem for Britain arises from potentially leaving the EU’s single aviation market, the world’s most liberal skies regime, and losing the operating rights that come with it — both in Europe and around the world.
Without an agreement to replace this, the UK’s legal fallback options are limited. And in negotiating new terms, levels of access start from a low base.
Europe’s unparalleled integration came through regulations that tore down national barriers and gave air carriers near unlimited rights to fly within Europe. This “big bang” in the early 1990s paved the way for low cost airlines such as easyJet, which admits it is a “product of the EU’s deregulation”.
“Pre-1992, it was all bilateral agreements, with strict rules on passenger numbers and services per week, the airlines that could operate, the airports served, and the prices offered,” says Thomas van der Wijngaart, aviation expert at Clyde & Co, the law firm.
The issue for the UK is that this integration is based on three things that are difficult to replicate from outside: 35 shared pieces of legislation, a common regulator in the European Aviation Safety Agency, and a common court to apply shared rules, the European Court of Justice, including non-discrimination against air carriers.

Keep clutching at straws Andrew; but we're leaving. Time to get used to it. There will be issues to resolve, but 'where there is a will, there is a way'. The globalists have been halted for a while. Bilderberger Ken Clarke must be devastated.

heero_yuy 12-02-2017 14:37

Anything that upsets traitor Clarke gets my vote.

1andrew1 12-02-2017 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35885366)
Keep clutching at straws Andrew; but we're leaving. Time to get used to it. There will be issues to resolve, but 'where there is a will, there is a way'. The globalists have been halted for a while. Bilderberger Ken Clarke must be devastated.

No one has said it's not happening, I'm unsure why you said that. If you read my introductory sentence, you will see why we can't simply leave the EU tomorrow as some suggest we can. That is the reason for highlighting this issue.

heero_yuy 12-02-2017 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35885368)
No one has said it's not happening, I'm unsure why you said that. If you read my introductory sentence, you will see why we can't simply leave the EU tomorrow as some suggest we can. That is the reason for highlighting this issue.

We are a sovereign nation. We can do ANYTHING we want and that includes tearing up EU treaties and NOT paying a penny. It may be the nuclear option but it exists.

Hugh 12-02-2017 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35885370)
We are a sovereign nation. We can do ANYTHING we want and that includes tearing up EU treaties and NOT paying a penny. It may be the nuclear option but it exists.

However, that's like leaving your partner, and setting fire to the house - you might feel better at the time, but you end up paying more in the end....

heero_yuy 12-02-2017 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35885372)
However, that's like leaving your partner, and setting fire to the house - you might feel better at the time, but you end up paying more in the end....

Maybe but I was making the point that we *could* chose that path and nothing is fixed unlike the remainers keep saying.;)

papa smurf 12-02-2017 15:07

Quote:

so its better to bury them under the patio and keep the house ;):tu:

Maggy 12-02-2017 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35885373)
Maybe but I was making the point that we *could* chose that path and nothing is fixed unlike the remainers keep saying.;)

But then if things go pear shaped the 'remoaners' will of course point it out..;)

Mick 12-02-2017 16:32

Quote:

But not really.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35885382)
But then if things go pear shaped the 'remoaners' will of course point it out..;)

I have quite happily pointed out for months all things EU, are going pear shaped, the remainers, have all but ignored it.

Kursk 12-02-2017 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35885382)

'Remoaners' will 'remoan'. It's what they do.

Hugh 12-02-2017 18:27

And Brexiteers will keep blaming them for any problems - it's what they do..

Talk about 'sore winners'...;)

Kursk 12-02-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35885419)
And Brexiteers will keep blaming them for any problems - it's what they do..

You are not to mention 'winners' and 'losers' on this forum you know that. It is regarded as childish.

I thought also we should not mention 'remoaners' but it seems to be ok? Very confusing for all us winners and no doubt for all the losers remoaners remaineers ;)

TheDaddy 12-02-2017 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885312)

he missed out drunken .

Good based on his email he seems entirely unsuited to the post, you can but hope it was an isolated incident, I can't imagine his God will be entirely pleased with his outburst either but let's hope it's more forgiving than the Reverend seems to be.

1andrew1 12-02-2017 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35885370)

If you read the article you will see that if we simply left the EU then all flights into and out of the UK would end overnight, which would cause a meltdown in the country. The full article in the FT explains why. But I appreciate, as you say, that we can do this technically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35885419)

Spot on.