Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

BenMcr 01-10-2014 12:41

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Yeah, I do get that.

I suppose what I was thinking was that as the 8.1 Update is available to anyone on 8.0, and you can't even get 8.0 now if you either buy a new PC or Windows itself, then there should have been a cut off for the complaints.

But then I suppose it's the same as with Vista. In the end it wasn't as bad an OS as was made out - once the computers caught up and some tweaks were made. But the initial reputation never went away.

Stop It 01-10-2014 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35732267)
Yeah, I do get that. I suppose what I was thinking was that as the 8.1 Update is available to anyone on 8.0, and you can't even get 8.0 now if you either buy a new PC or Windows itself, then there should have been a cut off for the complaints. But then I suppose it's the same as with Vista. In the end it wasn't as bad an OS as was made out - once the computers caught up and some tweaks were made. But the initial reputation never went away.

Of course Windows 8 isn't as bad as the more fierce critics say, however it wasn't enough of an upgrade over 7 to justify the move.

My biggest gripe was forcing users who wanted to try the new Windows Store apps into the Metro interface. As a desktop PC user, I want to keep my taskbar in play, and not have to switch back and forth between interfaces when Alt-Tab or clicking the next program icon at the bottom of my screen worked just fine. Multitasking effectively went backwards in Windows 8 and outside of tablet users, I do not see any benefits to that approach.

Windows 10 looks to fix these issues, and thus bring the Windows Store to more people once it is part of the normal Windows desktop experience.

heero_yuy 01-10-2014 17:51

Re: Windows 9 Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35732117)

Where am I?

In the village.

Who are you?

I'm the new number 10

Who is number One?

You are number six

I am not a number I'm a free man.

Ha ha ha.

Ken W 01-10-2014 18:28

Re: Windows 9 Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35732352)
Where am I? In the village. Who are you? I'm the new number 10 Who is number One? You are number six I am not a number I'm a free man. Ha ha ha.

The TV programme was called The Prisoner and Patrick McGoonan was the main character if my memory serves me right. Ken

TheOriginalMrC 01-10-2014 18:49

Hiya,

And the party starts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Downloads are painfully slow.

"Back to the future"

Stephen 01-10-2014 22:03

I'm downloading just now. Only 12 mins to wait.

Going to install on my bootcamp partition on my Macbook Pro.

qasdfdsaq 02-10-2014 01:19

Jesus, they're still building 32-bit versions of Windows after saying Windows 7 would be the last version of Windows available in 32-bit...

BenMcr 02-10-2014 09:38

Depends if they end up releasing a RTM as 32-bit for 'desktop' Windows though

I thought I read that the plan is that core OS is for everywhere i.e. phones / Smart TVs etc, so not all of those are or will be 64-bit. So they'll need to do some work on a 32-bit version

Plus wouldn't a 32-bit technical preview make it easier to run in Virtual machines etc for testing?

truthspeaker 02-10-2014 18:45

can you upgrade windows 10 Preview to OEM or Retail in the future ?
without deleting, format or re-installing everything?

Stephen 02-10-2014 20:27

Its not compatible with Bootcamp yet so have tried it running in Parallels as a virtual machine. Got the 64 bit version installed.

First impressions are that it looks really nice and runs well.

qasdfdsaq 02-10-2014 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35732447)
Depends if they end up releasing a RTM as 32-bit for 'desktop' Windows though

If they weren't intending to release a 32-bit edition why on earth would they waste the money (nearly doubling development costs) to release a 32-bit preview?

Quote:

I thought I read that the plan is that core OS is for everywhere i.e. phones / Smart TVs etc,
That's what Windows RT and Windows Phone are for...

Quote:

so not all of those are or will be 64-bit
By the time it comes out, they probably will.

Quote:

So they'll need to do some work on a 32-bit version Plus wouldn't a 32-bit technical preview make it easier to run in Virtual machines etc for testing?
Not really, a 32-bit tech preview is as useful as a Windows 98 tech preview given the whole point is for developers to develop and test their products on it, and that isn't going to work when said products are made for an entirely different architecture...

truthspeaker 02-10-2014 21:40

windows 10 removed media player DVD and Windows Media Center. windows 10 also disables the PC’s ability to play DVDs
can you run VLC player to play DVD?

Ben B 02-10-2014 21:50

Windows Media Player can't play DVDs in Windows 8(.1) either you have to have the Pro edition with Media Center add on. But in answer to your question yes VLC will play DVDs if it runs on Windows 10

truthspeaker 02-10-2014 23:28

can you make windows 10 preview permanent when OEM or Retail serial Key come out next year?

damien c 03-10-2014 08:20

No you won't be able to as there will be basically a ton of changes so you would need to do a reinstall of the release version.