Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

Ben B 12-09-2014 20:29

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

With Windows 9 rumoured to be announced at the end of the month and the consumer preview following around the same time, I thought I'd start a new thread. Some screenshots and a video has been leaked of the new start menu and the ability to have store apps windowed like with 3rd party Windows 8 add ons

EnGadget Story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/l...igned-desktop/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE

Personally, I don't mind the current interface but for those who hated the new start screen it does create more of a 'best of both worlds' scenario

SnoopZ 12-09-2014 21:34

re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Looking forward to getting the start menu back as i never use the START screen.

idi banashapan 12-09-2014 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35728518)
Looking forward to getting the start menu back as i never use the START screen.

'Classic Shell'???

SnoopZ 13-09-2014 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 35728543)

It is not that important as I don't do addons like that, I just never use the start screen and think windows 8 is better than windows 7, although the theme style could be better.

I am hoping to get windows 9 on the cheap for £25 again or even free.

qasdfdsaq 13-09-2014 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 35728503)
With Windows 9 rumoured to be announced at the end of the month and the consumer preview following around the same time, I thought I'd start a new thread. Some screenshots and a video has been leaked of the new start menu and the ability to have store apps windowed like with 3rd party Windows 8 add ons EnGadget Story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/11/l...igned-desktop/ Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE Personally, I don't mind the current interface but for those who hated the new start screen it does create more of a 'best of both worlds' scenario

Eh last I heard was developer preview likely later this year and consumer preview not until well into next year.

Either way actually having a normal start menu again will be a boon for enterprises. You can't imagine how effing annoying it is putting up with that tile crap on Win2012 server.

damien c 13-09-2014 19:07

Heard the same sort of thing as QAS said, Developer preview starting from September this year with the consumer preview coming around January or Febuary next year.

The "Start Menu" was supposed to return in August this year in what was supposed to be Windows 8 update 2, but apparently Microsoft decided to scrap it and focus on "Threshold" which is more commonly known as Windows 9, and not bringing the Start Menu back in Windows 8.X, according to rumours.

Either way I am not to fussed as most things I use are on the desktop so I never use the "Metro" interface really other, than creating a desktop shortcut for a program that didn't create one itself.

The only advantage to me for Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 though is when I am converting videos, Windows 8.1 uses all the threads and cores to around 90% compared to Windows 7 which only used each one to around 30%, regardless of what software was being used.

Games and general usage along with most other programs or benchmarks perform about the same, with some being faster on Windows 8.1 and some being faster on Windows 7, but I will stick with 8.1 as I am just use to it now and will see what the preview of Windows 9 is like when it's finally released.

Ben B 13-09-2014 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35728689)
Eh last I heard was developer preview likely later this year

D'oh, my bad, I knew what I meant haha :p: The only thing I used the Start Menu for in Windows 7 was the search box to launch an app, which I just do now by pressing Windows + Q

qasdfdsaq 13-09-2014 23:03

Interesting - I didn't know about Win+Q. That said, like all Win key shortcuts they're not too useful when you're managing remote computers (which I do a lot - all my Win 8.x machines are remote) keyboard shortcuts are often applied to your local computer not the remote one you're trying to control. Hence, having an actual button is nice (and having a button that doesn't waste a ton of bandwidth redrawing your entire screen is nicer)

Regardless, in the corporate world Windows 8 is turning out a bit like Vista - nobody wants to upgrade to it and most companies are sticking with the previous version hoping to skip over it to whatever comes next.

craigj2k12 15-09-2014 05:28

Windows 8.1 has a start menu.... with a button!

Russ 15-09-2014 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien c (Post 35728716)
The "Start Menu" was supposed to return in August this year in what was supposed to be Windows 8 update 2, but apparently Microsoft decided to scrap it and focus on "Threshold" which is more commonly known as Windows 9, and not bringing the Start Menu back in Windows 8.X, according to rumours.

I think another reason why the start button didn't return fully in update 2 is because doing so would have been Microsoft admitting removing it in the first place was a big mistake. OK generally we all know that anyway but companies rarely like to confess that something they decided themselves was what we wanted turned out to be wrong. MS aren't "cool" enough to do that in the way Apple is. So bringing it back in 9 is a better PR move as it takes the emphasis away from the errors of judgement they made with 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien c (Post 35728716)
The only advantage to me for Windows 8.1 over Windows 7 though is when I am converting videos, Windows 8.1 uses all the threads and cores to around 90% compared to Windows 7 which only used each one to around 30%, regardless of what software was being used.

Games and general usage along with most other programs or benchmarks perform about the same, with some being faster on Windows 8.1 and some being faster on Windows 7, but I will stick with 8.1 as I am just use to it now and will see what the preview of Windows 9 is like when it's finally released.

I've warmed to 8 but still prefer the look and themes of 7. It's the little things in 8 that I appreciate. Things like built-in pdf readers etc plus no need for third party stuff like Daemon Tools etc

SnoopZ 15-09-2014 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35728978)
I think another reason why the start button didn't return fully in update 2 is because doing so would have been Microsoft admitting removing it in the first place was a big mistake. OK generally we all know that anyway but companies rarely like to confess that something they decided themselves was what we wanted turned out to be wrong. MS aren't "cool" enough to do that in the way Apple is. So bringing it back in 9 is a better PR move as it takes the emphasis away from the errors of judgement they made with 8.

I've warmed to 8 but still prefer the look and themes of 7. It's the little things in 8 that I appreciate. Things like built-in pdf readers etc plus no need for third party stuff like Daemon Tools etc

I didn't know it had its own PDF reader or I didn't need daemon tools, I will uninstall those to check it out.

Chris 15-09-2014 09:28

Flipping Nora. I've had a built in PDF reader (with a few annotation tools thrown in) in Mac OSX for nearly 10 years now. What planet are you living on? :erm: :D

</massivelyofftopic> ;)

SnoopZ 15-09-2014 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35728978)

Uninstalling daemon Tools seems to have broken built in iso mounting in Windows 8.1, i had managed to do it before i uninstalled it!

downquark1 15-09-2014 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35729004)
Flipping Nora. I've had a built in PDF reader (with a few annotation tools thrown in) in Mac OSX for nearly 10 years now. What planet are you living on? :erm: :D

</massivelyofftopic> ;)

They probably don't want an anti-competition suit from Adobe or the EU.

Apple is above such matters.

qasdfdsaq 15-09-2014 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12 (Post 35728976)
Windows 8.1 has a start menu.... with a button!

It's not really a menu, it's more like a full-screen eyesore.

Uncle Peter 15-09-2014 13:08

If those screenies are anything to go by it's a half-arsed attempt to appease.

For the love of God, those tiles. Make it stop already.

Dave42 15-09-2014 13:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hG_0pLq49s

qasdfdsaq 15-09-2014 15:38

At least they haven't b0rxed the system tray in favour of the new notifications thing

Dave42 15-09-2014 20:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE

start menu demo

Sirius 15-09-2014 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35729171)

Why don't they just put the original start menu back and admit they fecked up. Win8.1 would be perfect if they did. At lest startisback did what microsoft don't seem able to do.

Dave42 15-09-2014 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35729182)
Why don't they just put the original start menu back and admit they fecked up. Win8.1 would be perfect if they did. At lest startisback did what microsoft don't seem able to do.

while I much prefer windows as it is now I think it be good for Microsoft to give a choice for new start menu or a classic one like windows 7 for those that want that

http://winsupersite.com/windows/its-...medium=twitter

Lew 18-09-2014 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35729004)

</massivelyofftopic> ;)

That was mainly because the display engine for OS X has always been based on the PDF format due to its NeXTStep roots (NeXTStep used Display PostScript which was a precursor to PDF (link)).

Dave42 24-09-2014 11:07

A First Look at the Windows Technical Preview

A couple of gems in here

Sep 18, 2014 Paul Thurrott

http://winsupersite.com/windows/firs...hnical-preview

Sirius 24-09-2014 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35730935)
A First Look at the Windows Technical Preview

A couple of gems in here

Sep 18, 2014 Paul Thurrott

http://winsupersite.com/windows/firs...hnical-preview

Will be interesting to see if they get back some of the customers they ****ed off with Windows 8. If windows 9 proves to be a good release then we will then have had

Windows 98 Not bad
Windows Millennium Rubbish
Windows xp Excellent
Windows Vista Rubbish
Windows 7 Excellent
Windows 8 Rubbish
Windows 9 ???????

And the pattern continues

Ken W 24-09-2014 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35730968)
Will be interesting to see if they get back some of the customers they ****ed off with Windows 8. If windows 9 proves to be a good release then we will then have had Windows 98 Not bad Windows Millennium Rubbish Windows xp Excellent Windows Vista Rubbish Windows 7 Excellent Windows 8 Rubbish Windows 9 ??????? And the pattern continues

I agree with finding of Windows, Windows 9 is just a another way of getting folk to part with their money and put in to Microsoft's pocket.

Ken

TAZMANUK 24-09-2014 19:51

They should learn by now, give free upgrades like google, apple, Linux.

Its only Microsoft that charges for every new os,

qasdfdsaq 25-09-2014 02:50

Microsoft upgrades have been free since Apple's were free.

mart44 25-09-2014 08:26

I've never missed the Start button. A right-click on the Windows icon brings up quick access to most places in the system. The tiles that a left-click brings up are quite capable of starting programs up. I can work with and be happy with this arrangement. Even gone so far as customising some of the Start Screen tiles (using OblyTile).

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps96729437.png

The Windows 9 GUI kind of looks like the tiled Start Screen and the traditional Desktop have been merged into one ..or there's the option to do that. This could be a formula that will work for most people. It perhaps depends how customisable this will be.

Ken W 25-09-2014 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35731032)
Microsoft upgrades have been free since Apple's were free.

Microsoft upgrades from one version to another version are charged for, for example from Windows Vista to Windows 8, service packs are free as was the update from 8.0 to 8.1. Walter

qasdfdsaq 25-09-2014 19:20

8.1 was a free upgrade and was NOT a service pack. Apple upgrades from one version to another were charged for until 10.9 as well. 8.1 is no more a service pack to 8.0 than Windows 7 was a service pack to Vista.

SnoopZ 29-09-2014 09:15

Windows 9 is rumoured to be a free upgrade for people upgrading from 8, take it with a pinch of salt though.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-9...osoft-official

damien c 29-09-2014 17:09

Saw that today apparently it was told to people by Microsoft Indonesia president Andreas Dianotoro's

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ndows-9-free/1

Cobbydaler 30-09-2014 18:33

It's to be called Windows 10 :erm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412

qasdfdsaq 30-09-2014 18:48

-_-

Uncle Peter 30-09-2014 19:02

Microsoft to be dragged through every court in the land by the Number 9

joglynne 30-09-2014 19:08

Maybe they are just trying to distance themselves from the relative failure of Windows 8. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/09/1.gif

Hom3r 30-09-2014 19:19

Windows 10 announced (replacing 9)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412

Chris 30-09-2014 19:26

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Thread title updated ...

Cobbydaler 30-09-2014 19:27

Re: Windows 9 Discussion

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2014/10/21.jpg

Nine? Nein!

Sirius 30-09-2014 20:02

It better be free because i will not be paying for it. I want my monies worth out of them for to recover for this pile of horse manure called windows 8.

Dave42 30-09-2014 21:42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfve...XJNk_DHqrffXCw

Ben B 01-10-2014 00:59

They should have called it Windows X to annoy Apple

SnoopZ 01-10-2014 10:04

Looking forward to this but i will wait until next year before installing it, or if there is a beta for it.

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35732135)
It better be free because i will not be paying for it. I want my monies worth out of them for to recover for this pile of horse manure called windows 8.

Never had an issue with 8, i hated the start screen but never used it and prefer the theme to Windows 7.

I do expect you to get it though eventually, i am guessing it will be a free upgrade or cheap as chips at £25 for early adopters like 8 was. :)

BenMcr 01-10-2014 11:54

I went from Win 7 straight to 8.1 set to always boot into Desktop mode. Barring the fact that I now get what is essentially a full screen Start menu, it works exactly the same, so I really don't know why everyone thinks it's so bad.

qasdfdsaq 01-10-2014 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35732253)
I went from Win 7 straight to 8.1 set to always boot into Desktop mode. Barring the fact that I now get what is essentially a full screen Start menu, it works exactly the same, so I really don't know why everyone thinks it's so bad.

I was the same, however I did for a short period try a pre-release edition of 8.0.

Long story short, you've skipped Windows 8(.0) and therefore skipped over most of the problems people are complaining about. 8.1 has already fixed a lot of the issues in 8.0, including the lack of a start button, no programs menu, and the inability to boot to desktop. Those three features you rely on were only added in 8.1 in response to complaints about 8.

The fact that you don't see what people are complaining about is solely the result of Microsoft fixing things in direct response to that complaining.

BenMcr 01-10-2014 12:41

Yeah, I do get that.

I suppose what I was thinking was that as the 8.1 Update is available to anyone on 8.0, and you can't even get 8.0 now if you either buy a new PC or Windows itself, then there should have been a cut off for the complaints.

But then I suppose it's the same as with Vista. In the end it wasn't as bad an OS as was made out - once the computers caught up and some tweaks were made. But the initial reputation never went away.

Stop It 01-10-2014 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35732267)
Yeah, I do get that. I suppose what I was thinking was that as the 8.1 Update is available to anyone on 8.0, and you can't even get 8.0 now if you either buy a new PC or Windows itself, then there should have been a cut off for the complaints. But then I suppose it's the same as with Vista. In the end it wasn't as bad an OS as was made out - once the computers caught up and some tweaks were made. But the initial reputation never went away.

Of course Windows 8 isn't as bad as the more fierce critics say, however it wasn't enough of an upgrade over 7 to justify the move.

My biggest gripe was forcing users who wanted to try the new Windows Store apps into the Metro interface. As a desktop PC user, I want to keep my taskbar in play, and not have to switch back and forth between interfaces when Alt-Tab or clicking the next program icon at the bottom of my screen worked just fine. Multitasking effectively went backwards in Windows 8 and outside of tablet users, I do not see any benefits to that approach.

Windows 10 looks to fix these issues, and thus bring the Windows Store to more people once it is part of the normal Windows desktop experience.

heero_yuy 01-10-2014 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35732117)

Where am I?

In the village.

Who are you?

I'm the new number 10

Who is number One?

You are number six

I am not a number I'm a free man.

Ha ha ha.

Ken W 01-10-2014 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35732352)
Where am I? In the village. Who are you? I'm the new number 10 Who is number One? You are number six I am not a number I'm a free man. Ha ha ha.

The TV programme was called The Prisoner and Patrick McGoonan was the main character if my memory serves me right. Ken

TheOriginalMrC 01-10-2014 18:49

Hiya,

And the party starts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Downloads are painfully slow.

"Back to the future"

Stephen 01-10-2014 22:03

I'm downloading just now. Only 12 mins to wait.

Going to install on my bootcamp partition on my Macbook Pro.

qasdfdsaq 02-10-2014 01:19

Jesus, they're still building 32-bit versions of Windows after saying Windows 7 would be the last version of Windows available in 32-bit...

BenMcr 02-10-2014 09:38

Depends if they end up releasing a RTM as 32-bit for 'desktop' Windows though

I thought I read that the plan is that core OS is for everywhere i.e. phones / Smart TVs etc, so not all of those are or will be 64-bit. So they'll need to do some work on a 32-bit version

Plus wouldn't a 32-bit technical preview make it easier to run in Virtual machines etc for testing?

truthspeaker 02-10-2014 18:45

can you upgrade windows 10 Preview to OEM or Retail in the future ?
without deleting, format or re-installing everything?

Stephen 02-10-2014 20:27

Its not compatible with Bootcamp yet so have tried it running in Parallels as a virtual machine. Got the 64 bit version installed.

First impressions are that it looks really nice and runs well.

qasdfdsaq 02-10-2014 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35732447)
Depends if they end up releasing a RTM as 32-bit for 'desktop' Windows though

If they weren't intending to release a 32-bit edition why on earth would they waste the money (nearly doubling development costs) to release a 32-bit preview?

Quote:

I thought I read that the plan is that core OS is for everywhere i.e. phones / Smart TVs etc,
That's what Windows RT and Windows Phone are for...

Quote:

so not all of those are or will be 64-bit
By the time it comes out, they probably will.

Quote:

So they'll need to do some work on a 32-bit version Plus wouldn't a 32-bit technical preview make it easier to run in Virtual machines etc for testing?
Not really, a 32-bit tech preview is as useful as a Windows 98 tech preview given the whole point is for developers to develop and test their products on it, and that isn't going to work when said products are made for an entirely different architecture...

truthspeaker 02-10-2014 21:40

windows 10 removed media player DVD and Windows Media Center. windows 10 also disables the PC’s ability to play DVDs
can you run VLC player to play DVD?

Ben B 02-10-2014 21:50

Windows Media Player can't play DVDs in Windows 8(.1) either you have to have the Pro edition with Media Center add on. But in answer to your question yes VLC will play DVDs if it runs on Windows 10

truthspeaker 02-10-2014 23:28

can you make windows 10 preview permanent when OEM or Retail serial Key come out next year?

damien c 03-10-2014 08:20

No you won't be able to as there will be basically a ton of changes so you would need to do a reinstall of the release version.

qasdfdsaq 03-10-2014 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 35732584)
Windows Media Player can't play DVDs in Windows 8(.1) either you have to have the Pro edition with Media Center add on. But in answer to your question yes VLC will play DVDs if it runs on Windows 10

DVD playing was removed already by Windows 7 if not earlier

Ben B 03-10-2014 16:43

No for Windows XP you needed in codec, don't know about Vista but in 7 Windows Media Player could play DVDs from a clean install

truthspeaker 04-10-2014 17:10

no codec needed for VLC Player.
VLC Player is the best Player. Plays everything you throw at it.

heero_yuy 04-10-2014 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35732365)
The TV programme was called The Prisoner and Patrick McGoonan was the main character if my memory serves me right. Ken

Correct. I was paraphrasing as there was always a new number two. As there is always a new version of Windoze.

Seems all the later versions of windows, now coming at us faster than revisions of Firefox:rolleyes:, are seemingly downgrades of earlier versions with worse GUI's and inferior or lost features. M$ loosing the plot methinks.

SnoopZ 04-10-2014 18:20

My fav GUI is windows 7 atleast this doesn't look like tellytubby XP or windows 98.

I would love to put a windows 7 theme on this when I get it.

qasdfdsaq 05-10-2014 05:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 35732750)
No for Windows XP you needed in codec, don't know about Vista but in 7 Windows Media Player could play DVDs from a clean install

Unless you lived in Europe and got a copy of Windows that doesn't have media player at all in a clean install...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...mpetition_case
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2005/09/5281-2/

heero_yuy 05-10-2014 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35732916)
My fav GUI is windows 7 atleast this doesn't look like tellytubby XP or windows 98.

I would love to put a windows 7 theme on this when I get it.

You can get rid of the "tellytubby" stuff but it needs a lot of work in the registry and using GUI tweaking tools to remove the froth.

Trouble is when they bring out the next version I have to start again from scratch to weed out the crap. Tends to stop me from embracing newer versions.

dilli-theclaw 05-10-2014 18:08

If they improve the accessibility as much as they did in windows 8,then I'll be very happy with 10

idi banashapan 05-10-2014 18:18

I like windows 8.1 on the whole. Made a lot more usable with the help of Classic Shell. The Start Screen tile crap was a big mistake.

Dave42 05-10-2014 20:57

just playing around with windows 10 tech preview dual booted it hope they leave the choice of start screen and start menu like they got in this in final version then everyone can be happy looks good so far

damien c 06-10-2014 08:54

Will probably be pulling the hdd out of my laptop this weekend and drop a ssd in it with a copy of this on it, and see what it's like but to be honest at the moment I have not seen anything from the videos that makes me want to upgrade, to it when it's released even if it's free.

slowcoach 08-10-2014 09:50

A recent update switched the start screen to the desktop in 8.1 with the tile screen now a click away, which is how it should have been from the beginning.

I hear Win-10 has got virtual desktops, it's taken them long enough.... ;)

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcoach (Post 35733665)
I hear Win-10 has got virtual desktops, it's taken them long enough.... ;)

Yeah, that - something that Windows users have had to download an 3rd party application for that other major OS's have had for many years.

Very handy feature I intend to make heavy use of, as I'm someone who typically has 20-30 windows open per PC and 2-3 remote desktop sessions going at the same time.

BenMcr 08-10-2014 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35733761)
something that Windows users have had to download an 3rd party application for that other major OS's have had for many years.

Not always 3rd party ;)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...#2TC=powertoys
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s.../cc817881.aspx

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 16:26

Eh, well the first (for XP) was released seven years after XP itself, and three months after you could no longer buy XP. The second (for Vista support) was released six years after Vista, and two years after you could no longer buy Windows Vista.

Sure, you could get the non-3rd party software if you were willing to use a two generations old OS ;-)

BenMcr 08-10-2014 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35733778)
Eh, well the first (for XP) was released seven years after XP itself and three months after you could no longer buy XP

It was released in 2002 http://winsupersite.com/article/prod...dows-xp-review
Quote:

The second (for Vista support) was released six years after Vista, and two years after you could no longer buy Windows Vista.
October 2008 http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...nternals-team/

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 17:45

Hmm. Clearly I fail at reading. The first link of yours had no date but googling the name came up with an article dated 2008, and the second link of yours says "Published: October 17, 2012"

Turns out the date on the article I found was for the second tool, and the date on your link is just completely wrong.

BenMcr 08-10-2014 18:47

I think the date on the second link is for the v2 release.

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 18:49

Yeah, I initially thought the 'V2' meant the Vista+ version, with 'V1' being the original XP only version... Ach well I learned something new today... Might try those out and add them to my portable kit of 'auto-install' apps.

BenMcr 08-10-2014 22:57

Based on the article on the Techrepublic site, I'd maybe only go for the newer Desktops one - it works for XP SP3 and above and they say it's a more resource friendly app that the original XP Powertoys version

truthspeaker 08-10-2014 23:00

what about Ubuntu Or Linux Mint?

qasdfdsaq 08-10-2014 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35733934)
Based on the article on the Techrepublic site, I'd maybe only go for the newer Desktops one - it works for XP SP3 and above and they say it's a more resource friendly app that the original XP Powertoys version

That's what I was going for, I assumed the original one only worked with XP anyway, and since no sane person with control of their environment would still use XP...

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35733935)
what about Ubuntu Or Linux Mint?

What about them?

heero_yuy 09-10-2014 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35733949)
That's what I was going for, I assumed the original one only worked with XP anyway, and since no sane person with control of their environment would still use XP...[COLOR="Silver"]

I must be certifiable then with two desktops and a lappy all on XP. Now where's that jacket with the arms that tieup behind...:D

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 13:56

God I hope you have a good firewall...

heero_yuy 09-10-2014 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35734056)
God I hope you have a good firewall...

Router based. Only one (inactive) threat on one machine in the last year plus a few cookies. My careful housekeeping. :)

None of the machines could run Windows 10 properly (or even 7 for two of them) anyway as the hardware is too old. Other priorities for money.

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 15:46

My problem isn't really with XP itself, it's the fact that it's now unsupported and most vulnerabilities will never get fixed. I already get several thousand incoming hack attempts per day on just about every port and not to mention the number of websites trying to exploit old IE holes or even Firefox or Chrome.

Thankfully a properly firewalled XP is still reasonably secure if using a third-party browser that is still kept up to date and there's no way to accept incoming connections, but that all goes out the window the second they connect to a public network.

Still, those machines must be pretty damn old then! I accidentally booted Windows 8.1 on 128MB of RAM the other day and it actually worked well enough that it took me a while to figure it out.

heero_yuy 09-10-2014 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35734087)
My problem isn't really with XP itself, it's the fact that it's now unsupported and most vulnerabilities will never get fixed. I already get several thousand incoming hack attempts per day on just about every port and not to mention the number of websites trying to exploit old IE holes or even Firefox or Chrome.

Thankfully a properly firewalled XP is still reasonably secure if using a third-party browser that is still kept up to date and there's no way to accept incoming connections, but that all goes out the window the second they connect to a public network.

Still, those machines must be pretty damn old then! I accidentally booted Windows 8.1 on 128MB of RAM the other day and it actually worked well enough that it took me a while to figure it out.

Lappy is an old Sony FX101 on a 600M Celeron 512M RAM. (Upgraded HDD, BIOS, battery, RAM and DVD drive) Used mainly for e-mail, browsing and playing audio/video.

Main machine is Sempron 3300 1gig RAM. (1600M hypertransport) I could run a later OS but not well I suspect.

Browsers are latest Firefox.

I'll need to make/buy/rebuild a new machine soon for main work so it'll be interesting to see how Windows 10 pans out. 8 looks too Fisher Price for me. Don't know about 9.

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 18:43

Ach, I'm pretty sure they could both run Win 7 if you tried hard enough :-P I admit there's not a whole lot of benefit though from the end user perspective.

That said I had Vista running on a single-core Sempron 3000 for a good few years.

truthspeaker 09-10-2014 20:58

I run windows 7 on my uncle computer with Intel Atom with 1Gb Ram.
youtube lags,
windows 7 crash.
running very slow.

qasdfdsaq 09-10-2014 21:26

I suppose I'm sorta cheating when the pagefile is backed by a multilevel SSD cache...

Dave42 12-10-2014 11:43

so how many have tried windows 10 on here working fine here

SnoopZ 12-10-2014 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35734784)

I decided to wait as it isn't meant to be used on a main computer, I also read it sends a lot of info back to MS.

It is exactly what I want though and Will upgraded to it when the beta arrives for sure.

Dave42 12-10-2014 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35734787)
I decided to wait as it isn't meant to be used on a main computer, I also read it sends a lot of info back to MS.

It is exactly what I want though and Will upgraded to it when the beta arrives for sure.

I running on a dual boot no problems with it at all so far features I like best so far is metro resizable windows, task view, choose between start menu and start screen, the add new desktops mode cant wait to tries updated builds with more features

Russ 12-10-2014 12:23

I installed it last night but there was no start button - does it need to be activated or something? I then wiped it and went back to 8.1.

Dave42 12-10-2014 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35734790)
I installed it last night but there was no start button - does it need to be activated or something? I then wiped it and went back to 8.1.

should automatically be activated mine was don't know why you didn't get start menu for did you download iso file and burn to dvd

only thing i can think of is you might of downloaded a currupt iso could try again and use a vm or dual boot so you dont lose anything

damien c 13-10-2014 08:43

Installed it on my laptop on a spare SSD, and within 10 minutes I ripped it off.

Hopefully when it's released there will be a way to turn off the tiles in the start menu and choose to not use the app's for stuff.

I don't need the tiles, or apps and I don't want them.

To bad for DX12 you are going to need to use Windows 10.

heero_yuy 13-10-2014 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien c (Post 35734942)
Installed it on my laptop on a spare SSD, and within 10 minutes I ripped it off.

Hopefully when it's released there will be a way to turn off the tiles in the start menu and choose to not use the app's for stuff.

To bad for DX12 you are going to need to use Windows 10.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of registry hacks to turn off the frippery as on previous releases.:D

Sirius 13-10-2014 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35734784)

Have it on my laptop to test, the jury is out untill i have used it a week or so, however unless its free at release i will not upgrade to it. I will never buy another Microsoft OS after the debacle with Windows 8 and would sooner use a hacked version out of pure spite.

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35734944)
I'm sure there'll be plenty of registry hacks to turn off the frippery as on previous releases.:D

Unless Microsoft remove the ability like they have done before when they removed the ability to have the start button after a reg hack. :mad:

dilli-theclaw 13-10-2014 11:36

I am running it in a virtual machine at the moment,

BenMcr 13-10-2014 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by damien c (Post 35734942)

Even in Win 8.1 you can choose not to use the full screen apps for pretty much everything i.e. use the desktop version of IE and Windows Media Player etc

As for the start menu tiles you can already turn these off http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...hands-on-video