Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

SnoopZ 13-10-2014 23:30

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Has anyone turned on the new drop shadows yet?

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...ew-drop-shadow

qasdfdsaq 13-10-2014 23:47

Woo... a blurrier version of the old drop shadow...

Dave42 14-10-2014 17:25

Microsoft promises a new Windows 10 preview build will be coming soon

Yesterday, we learned that the Windows Insider Program has had over one million registrants in just under two weeks. On top of that, over 200,000 pieces of feedback were given to Microsoft from participants of the program.

Microsoft revealed this information in an official blog post yesterday, and also revealed that a new build of Windows 10 would be coming soon too. Here is what Microsoft's Joe Belfiore said: "Going forward, he’ll [Gabriel Aul] be the one blogging about the Windows Insider Program and each new build we release to Windows Insiders. A new build should be coming soon too!"

Belfiore was referring to Gabriel Aul, who runs the company's Data and Fundamentals Team. His job is to spend time going through all the telemetry data and feedback received from the Insider Program. With that being said, prepare yourself for another Windows 10 Technical Preview build, which is right around the corner. No word on exactly what the next build will feature. Perhaps the next build will feature improvements based on user feedback.

Better yet, this new build will be obtainable within the Windows 10 Technical Preview. This means you can head over to PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Preview Builds, and snag yourself the latest build when it becomes available for download. How cool is that?

As we have mentioned before, the Windows Insider Program allows Microsoft to release regular updates to consumers with ease, thanks to feedback generated by participants of the program. This allows participants to do some 'real-world' testing on a new feature or improvement prior to it being rolled out to the general public. Windows 10 is set to become the first operating system from Microsoft to be radically different for consumers and IT professionals.

We're going to see an operating system that becomes better a lot faster than before.

Sirius 14-10-2014 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35735266)
Microsoft promises a new Windows 10 preview build will be coming soon

Yesterday, we learned that the Windows Insider Program has had over one million registrants in just under two weeks. On top of that, over 200,000 pieces of feedback were given to Microsoft from participants of the program.

Microsoft revealed this information in an official blog post yesterday, and also revealed that a new build of Windows 10 would be coming soon too. Here is what Microsoft's Joe Belfiore said: "Going forward, he’ll [Gabriel Aul] be the one blogging about the Windows Insider Program and each new build we release to Windows Insiders. A new build should be coming soon too!"

Belfiore was referring to Gabriel Aul, who runs the company's Data and Fundamentals Team. His job is to spend time going through all the telemetry data and feedback received from the Insider Program. With that being said, prepare yourself for another Windows 10 Technical Preview build, which is right around the corner. No word on exactly what the next build will feature. Perhaps the next build will feature improvements based on user feedback.

Better yet, this new build will be obtainable within the Windows 10 Technical Preview. This means you can head over to PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Preview Builds, and snag yourself the latest build when it becomes available for download. How cool is that?

As we have mentioned before, the Windows Insider Program allows Microsoft to release regular updates to consumers with ease, thanks to feedback generated by participants of the program. This allows participants to do some 'real-world' testing on a new feature or improvement prior to it being rolled out to the general public. Windows 10 is set to become the first operating system from Microsoft to be radically different for consumers and IT professionals.

We're going to see an operating system that becomes better a lot faster than before.

Been using it on my laptop and so far i like it. I will not install it on my main machine until it gets near to the release. As stated i will not pay for it so they better give it free to those of use who feel we were ripped off with windows 8 other wise i will just use a hacked version.

Taf 21-10-2014 18:40

Windows 10 Will Be Free

Windows 10 Will Be Free for Personal Users‏

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/10/wi...sers%e2%80%8f/

Dave42 21-10-2014 20:02

Microsoft delivers first update to its Windows 10 Technical Preview

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-deliv...ew-7000034919/

Downloading now

Stephen 21-10-2014 21:36

I see the Microsoft will be making Windows 10 free for consumers.

About time they caught up with Apple in offering the OS updates for free.

BenMcr 21-10-2014 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35736753)

Have you got an official Microsoft link for that?

Dave42 21-10-2014 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35736754)
Have you got an official Microsoft link for that?

Microsoft have not said anything official about that

Stephen 21-10-2014 22:29

I got it here

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/10/wi...sers%E2%80%8F/

truthspeaker 21-10-2014 23:24

Re: Windows 10 Will Be Free

i hope so. thats good news if its true. they should have done that in the start.

can you upgrade from windows Xp, vista or windows 7 free aswell?
or is it free for only windows 8?

truthspeaker 21-10-2014 23:31

they should have done that with windows 95 and 98 from the very beginning.
can you upgrade from very old operating system?

Sirius 22-10-2014 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35736701)
Windows 10 Will Be Free for Personal Users‏

http://news.filehippo.com/2014/10/wi...sers%e2%80%8f/

Good job it is as i would never have paid for it.

truthspeaker 22-10-2014 08:59

will Microsoft Office 2015 be free for home users or students?

Ken W 22-10-2014 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35736786)
will Microsoft Office 2015 be free for home users or students?

I doubt it as up to Microsoft Home & Student 2010 it had 3 user licence but from 2013 it only came with a 1 user licence, there fore making even more money for Microsoft!:mad:

Stop It 22-10-2014 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35736805)
I doubt it as up to Microsoft Home & Student 2010 it had 3 user licence but from 2013 it only came with a 1 user licence, there fore making even more money for Microsoft!:mad:

Pushing people towards Office 365 no doubt, which makes them more money in the long run. Of course that lets you use 5 PC users, 5 Tablet users and Smartphones so if you have lots of people to share the cost it is a better deal.

Edit: In the interests of full disclosure I must say that my company is part of the Microsoft HUP so I only paid £8.95 for Office 2013 Pro Plus so I know I'm lucky in this regard.

Anyway. I bought Windows 7 from Amazon when it was £45 on the pre-order special, before buying Windows 8 Pro for £24.99 when that had it's own offer. I don't mind paying in that ball park for Windows but if 10 is confirmed as a free upgrade then it's all good.

v0id 22-10-2014 10:56

Does windows 10 have the CLASSIC start menu? (without some third party addon)

Stop It 22-10-2014 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35736810)
Does windows 10 have the CLASSIC start menu? (without some third party addon)

It has a proper start menu yes.

This time it also supports the Live Tiles like on Windows Phone, so you can see weather updates, e-mail alerts etc by pressing the Start Button. This is actually rather a good thing!

Windows 10 so far seems to be what 8 shoud've been. Even the Metro apps are actually usable now they don't take over the desktop when they're active.

MalteseFalcon 22-10-2014 11:09

Has anyone tried the technical preview in Virtualbox yet? Someone on another Forum is and they say it is better than 8, so tempted to try it myself.

Stop It 22-10-2014 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35736812)
Has anyone tried the technical preview in Virtualbox yet? Someone on another Forum is and they say it is better than 8, so tempted to try it myself.

No, I just installed it on my main PC.

Yes, I'm that crazy/stupid. It installed quickly and has felt more like a service pack than a new OS version really. Everything that was working before continues to work, and now I have a proper start menu (Uninstalled Classic Shell) and fancy drop shadows!

If you're curious just have a play with it in Virtualbox/the VM of your choice. It can't do any harm after all.

qasdfdsaq 22-10-2014 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35736753)

About time they caught up with Apple in offering the OS updates for free.

"About time they caught up"? Microsoft did it before Apple did (admittedly, only by five days), Apple were the ones who had to 'catch up'.

qasdfdsaq 22-10-2014 12:48

You don't have to be that crazy. I installed Windows 8 developer preview on my main PC when it was out, ditched it after a few days mind you but still.

Stop It 22-10-2014 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35736846)
You don't have to be that crazy. I installed Windows 8 developer preview on my main PC when it was out, ditched it after a few days mind you but still.

As did I.

Felt stupid for doing so then bought Windows 8 anyway. Stuck with it because I didn't want to be seen as wasting my money, oops. Still, 8.1 with Classic Shell isn't really that bad to be fair.

qasdfdsaq 22-10-2014 12:58

I have 8.1 (well, Server 2012 R2, which is, basically, 8.1) running on a few servers and it's quite nice, but I still detest the stupid start screen (on Windows Server FFS, I mean, come on...).

TBH, other than Millenium I don't think Microsoft has recently released any new versions Windows that were truly worse than the last, but I tend to look at the 'under the hood' kernel and architecture improvements over the user interface, which is why I was a big fan and advocate of Vista when everyone else hated it

Stephen 22-10-2014 12:58

What Windows versions have been free then?

The last 2-3 OS X updates have been free.

qasdfdsaq 22-10-2014 13:03

The latest one Windows version (8.1) has been free.

The 2-3 OSX updates have NOT been free. Only the latest one (10.9). 10.8 and 10.7 were both chargeable upgrades.

Stephen 22-10-2014 13:28

The latest one is actually 10.10 Yosemite and is also free.

While chargeable they were under £20 each. Very minimal compared to the amount MS used to charge for the Windows OS.

Dave42 22-10-2014 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35736860)

While chargeable they were under £20 each. Very minimal compared to the amount MS used to charge for the Windows OS.

you got to remember Microsoft makes it money from software sales and Apple makes it money from the expensive hardware sales

Uncle Peter 22-10-2014 13:36

Hmm I don't remember paying for Mavericks.

qasdfdsaq 22-10-2014 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35736860)

Well yes, excluding Yosemite which just came out, like Windows 10, which just came out... Being very selective today aren't we.

Quote:

I never paid more than £30 for a Microsoft Windows upgrade, even for the top of the range Ultimate editions. Course the difference in price comes down to the fact Apple gets all the money from selling hardware already, often at highly marked up prices, while Microsoft doesn't see a penny of any hardware sold unless they charge for the software that is on it.

That said if you want to talk like your personal experience is representative, Apple tried to charge us nearly £500 for OSX Lion Server.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35736862)
Hmm I don't remember paying for Mavericks.

Pretty much what I said, barring the new OSs announced this week, only Mavericks has been free.

Taf 22-10-2014 18:39

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...070e13f59a540e

Stephen 22-10-2014 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35736920)
Well yes, excluding Yosemite which just came out, like Windows 10, which just came out... Being very selective today aren't we.

I never paid more than £30 for a Microsoft Windows upgrade, even for the top of the range Ultimate editions. Course the difference in price comes down to the fact Apple gets all the money from selling hardware already, often at highly marked up prices, while Microsoft doesn't see a penny of any hardware sold unless they charge for the software that is on it.

Pretty much what I said, barring the new OSs announced this week, only Mavericks has been free.

What was announced this week? Yosemite was announce months ago and released this month. So that is still two main OS X versions released for free and at least 2 others charged at minimal price.

Where as Windows 10 isn't actually released, its in beta and under a public trial and won't officially be released till next year. Who is being selective now.

Microsoft do make money off hardware, they sell tablets and have made money off the Xbox consoles for years. That surely counts as hardware? Also keyboards and mice.

qasdfdsaq 23-10-2014 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35736932)
What was announced this week? Yosemite was announce months ago and released this month. So that is still two main OS X versions released for free and at least 2 others charged at minimal price.

You really have to do this every time anyone mentions Apple don't you. OK fine, you're desperately grasping at straws that lend no weight to your argument, but yes, Yosemite was release last week, not this week, exactly seven days ago. Still changes nothing about my original point.

Quote:

Where as Windows 10 isn't actually released, its in beta and under a public trial and won't officially be released till next week. Who is being selective now.
Wow, nitpicking much? So Apple releases a second update slightly quicker than Microsoft.

Doesn't change the fact Microsoft's first free update came out before Apple's first free update, and just because Apple has released a second update since then while Microsoft is taking a bit longer doesn't change the fact one bit. Pretty lame and desperate attempt to divert attention from the fact that you were wrong.

Quote:

Microsoft do make money off hardware, they sell tablets and have made money off the Xbox consoles for years. That surely counts as hardware? Also keyboards and mice.
Still trying to divert attention by pointing to unrelated irrelevant issues. Yes, they sell tablets, but Microsoft has never charged for updates on any tablets they've sold, so proves nothing.

Yes, they sell XBoxes, but Xboxes do not run Windows, so not at all relevant, to how much they charge for Windows.

Yes, they sell keyboards and mice. Again keyboards and mice do not run Windows, regardless, Microsoft has never charged for OS updates on keyboards or mice either. But then Apple also sells keyboards and mice, so that's not even a differentiators.

All of these still miss the central point, which is that Apple sells all the hardware that (legally) runs OS X. Microsoft does not sell all of the hardware that runs Windows, the ones they do sell they do not charge for Windows upgrades on. Which actually just reinforces my argument that it's down to how much they make off the hardware.

Taf 24-10-2014 12:46

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/10/6.jpg

Dave42 24-10-2014 17:01

Windows 10 is the Most Audacious Release in the History of the Platform

Through evolution, Microsoft sparks a revolution

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...story-platform

a good read

MalteseFalcon 24-10-2014 17:26

Don't get all this hate for Vista, I liked the OS. And 7. And despite a poor review of 8 at first, I actually rate this one higher than XP for me.

truthspeaker 24-10-2014 21:33

windows 10 we finally fixed everything.

windows 11 messed up again
windows 12 restore the start button again
windows 13 BS bro. just to make money

Dave42 21-01-2015 16:54

windows 10 live stream

heres link for windows 10 event starts 5pm

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/

Sirius 21-01-2015 17:03

Re: windows 10 live stream

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35754271)
heres link for windows 10 event starts 5pm

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/

Been running windows 10 for a while, its streets ahead of windows 8

Dave42 21-01-2015 17:15

Paul Thurrott ‏@thurrott · 35s35 seconds ago
Excited to announce, for the first year after Windows 10 is avaiable, it will be free on all devices running Windows 8.1

Paul Thurrott ‏@thurrott · 40s41 seconds ago
For the first year, free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7

very well done Microsoft :):):) now no excuse not to upgrade to windows 10 when released

denphone 21-01-2015 17:28

Well Windows 8 was a pile of excrement so lets hope this is better.

Sirius 21-01-2015 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35754280)
Paul Thurrott ‏@thurrott · 35s35 seconds ago
Excited to announce, for the first year after Windows 10 is avaiable, it will be free on all devices running Windows 8.1

very well done Microsoft :):):) now no excuse not to upgrade to windows 10 when released

Good job as well because i would not have paid for it after the screw over they did to me from windows 7 to 8

admars 21-01-2015 17:36

I've been running the preview for a few weeks as well now with no real issues. boots up really fast.

Mr K 21-01-2015 17:46

Even if its free don't think I'd upgrade if it's remotely like windows 8. Happy with 7, I was even happier with Xp till they stopped doing updates.

Dave42 21-01-2015 18:28

can stream xbox one games on windows 10 too :)

Sirius 21-01-2015 18:41

Its looking good, this is what windows 8 should have been instead of the crook of poo it was

Stephen 21-01-2015 18:52

Cool, means I might update my Win 7 running in Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro.

thenry 21-01-2015 20:16

:)

Ken W 21-01-2015 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35754290)
Even if its free don't think I'd upgrade if it's remotely like windows 8. Happy with 7, I was even happier with Xp till they stopped doing updates.

I must admit XP did all I needed.

Uncle Peter 21-01-2015 21:58

Can't come soon enough. Looks promising but please, no more tiles. Actually put tiles on the desktop OS fine, I don't care but not on the damn server OS

Now that Ballmer has gone hopefully MS will stop wheeling out ridiculous white elephants and making stupid decisions.

qasdfdsaq 21-01-2015 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35754280)

Oh. Wasn't expecting that. Guess I'll be getting it free then.

Been meaning to upgrade to 8.1 recently on my main machine (most of my others are running it already). Guess I'll wait till 10, since 7 => 10 is free but 7 => 8 isn't free.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35754339)
I must admit XP did all I needed.

XP does all I needed, it just didn't do it very well.

Dave42 21-01-2015 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35754373)
Oh. Wasn't expecting that. Guess I'll be getting it free then.

Been meaning to upgrade to 8.1 recently on my main machine (most of my others are running it already). Guess I'll wait till 10, since 7 => 10 is free but 7 => 8 isn't free.

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

XP does all I needed, it just didn't do it very well.

yes best to wait to autumn to get windows 10 for free mate

Stephen 21-01-2015 23:08

merged in to existing windows 10 thread

Cobbydaler 22-01-2015 01:42

Wanted to upgrade 7 to 8.1 but it means reinstalling all your programs. Tried to upgrade to 8 then to 8.1 but 8 failed all the time. Apparently a known problem on 7 64.

MalteseFalcon 22-01-2015 06:10

I went from 7 x64 to 8 and 8.1 with no trouble.

SnoopZ 22-01-2015 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35754396)
Wanted to upgrade 7 to 8.1 but it means reinstalling all your programs. Tried to upgrade to 8 then to 8.1 but 8 failed all the time. Apparently a known problem on 7 64.

I upgraded from 7 to 8 and it kept my programs, the whole process only took 20mins.

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Really looking forward to this although i never had any issues with 8.1 as i really don't need to go to the start screen to often.

admars 22-01-2015 12:12

my windows 8.1 to 10 preview upgrade worked fine, kept programs and settings, I was pleasantly surprised :)

Dave42 22-01-2015 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35754396)

you can use link to make a windows 8.1 disk or usb then use that to upgrade to windows 8.1 and keep your files and settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...-refresh-media

Cobbydaler 22-01-2015 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35754529)
you can use link to make a windows 8.1 disk or usb then use that to upgrade to windows 8.1 and keep your files and settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...-refresh-media

Can't see anywhere on there that you can keep your programs? PIA to have to reinstall all programs on upgrade.

qasdfdsaq 23-01-2015 00:49

You keep your programs on your hard drive where they are now. They don't move.

nomadking 23-01-2015 01:03

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7
Although some programs may be ok. Check in help etc for each one whether it can be moved.
Quote:

Once you have the compatibility report, you can decide what you want to keep on your PC. You won't be able to keep programs and settings when you upgrade. Make sure you locate your original program installation discs or purchase confirmation emails if you bought programs online. You'll need these to reinstall your programs after you've upgraded to Windows 8.1 – this includes, for example, Microsoft Office, Apache OpenOffice and Adobe programs. It's also a good idea to back up your files at this time, too.
  • If you only want to keep your files (documents, photos, music, films and other files), choose Just personal files.
  • If you want to save none of your files, choose Nothing. We recommend you back up your files on an external drive before choosing this option.

SnoopZ 23-01-2015 10:27

When is the public Beta of Windows 10 expected to get released, is this the same as the Windows 10 Consumer Preview?

truthspeaker 23-01-2015 10:59

i think so.
maybe after few months windows 10 beta might convert to OEM/retail without re-installing.
I could be wrong.

Dave42 23-01-2015 12:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9phebKc_DOs

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35754677)
When is the public Beta of Windows 10 expected to get released, is this the same as the Windows 10 Consumer Preview?

the next build is expected today according to Paul Thurrott

SnoopZ 23-01-2015 12:10

Is that a Technical Preview or a Consumer Preview?

Dave42 23-01-2015 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35754698)
Is that a Technical Preview or a Consumer Preview?

Technical preview far as everyone is saying I think they will release Consumer preview at build conference in April

Dave42 23-01-2015 18:09

new build now live :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

truthspeaker 23-01-2015 18:49

You can upgrade from an evaluation version of the operating system to a retail version, from an older retail version to a newer version, or, in some cases, from a volume-licensed edition of the operating system to an ordinary retail edition. (Microsoft website)

so Windows 10 Technical Preview can change to retail?

SnoopZ 23-01-2015 19:00

Waiting for the Consumer Preview here.

SnoopZ 23-01-2015 23:00

I think I will possibly install this next weekend as I am hearing things that this will essentially be the Consumer Preview in the end.

My windows 8.1 has started crashing daily with a 'DPC Watchdog Violation' error which I don't seem to be able to find a solution for so need to install 8.1 or 10!

Sirius 23-01-2015 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35754773)

Just upgraded, looks good

SnoopZ 23-01-2015 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35754820)
Just upgraded, looks good

What do you think of the icons as there are a lot of people slagging them off on Neowin?

Dave42 23-01-2015 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35754825)
What do you think of the icons as there are a lot of people slagging them off on Neowin?

look ok maybe a little to bright though

truthspeaker 24-01-2015 01:23

windows 10 running faster then windows 8.1.

my windows 8.1 was lagging.
windows 10 feels alot better

Dave42 24-01-2015 15:01

How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu running Windows 10 build 9926

http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-brin...-10-build-9926

much better now :)

LSainsbury 24-01-2015 15:44

My Win 10 TP to the Jan Build 9926 went fine apart from Windows Defender maxing out the disk at first boot for about 20 mins - and my Start Menu has gone. Trying a fresh install now. All on Hyper-V BTW if that makes any difference - anybody had the same issues?

Dave42 24-01-2015 16:03

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/01/6.png

heres mine with old start menu back

LSainsbury 24-01-2015 16:06

1 Attachment(s)
Fresh install and now working fine...

Sirius 24-01-2015 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35754825)

They look pretty plain to me and the icons in the taskbar are to small.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35754891)
How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu running Windows 10 build 9926

http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-brin...-10-build-9926

much better now :)

Excellent :tu:

admars 24-01-2015 19:08

I didn't have the 8gb free on my machien when it tried to update, but have now. I like the fact that the message suggested it didn't have to be on my c drive, but could be any permanent drive.

MalteseFalcon 24-01-2015 20:21

Could I have it installed onto my External HD to give it a trial run?

LSainsbury 24-01-2015 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35754975)
Could I have it installed onto my External HD to give it a trial run?

What you running at the moment?

MalteseFalcon 24-01-2015 20:46

8.1, 64 bit.

LSainsbury 24-01-2015 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35754983)
8.1, 64 bit.

Just install the Hyper-V feature, create a new virtual machine and install on that - job done.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...rtual-machines

nomadking 24-01-2015 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 35754990)
Just install the Hyper-V feature, create a new virtual machine and install on that - job done.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...rtual-machines

That requires the pro or enterprise versions of windows.

admars 24-01-2015 22:46

virtualbox isn't working after Win 10 updated :( uninstalled virtualbox and installed it again with no joy, won't open the manager :(

nomadking 24-01-2015 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35755008)
virtualbox isn't working after Win 10 updated :( uninstalled virtualbox and installed it again with no joy, won't open the manager :(

Isn't the manager in the host OS and not win 10?

truthspeaker 25-01-2015 02:25

Windows Technical Preview, would they be able to upgrade to the final, RTM version of Windows 10 when that becomes available? " Microsoft's Gabe Aul responded Yes, that is our intent.

dilli-theclaw 25-01-2015 04:14

I hope cortana is good. That may be a great help for me :)

admars 25-01-2015 07:33

Win 10 is the host for me.

Ken W 25-01-2015 07:47

Have Microsoft said when Windows 10 will be released to the public?
Ken

idi banashapan 25-01-2015 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35755008)

I did a clean install of WIN10TP on virtualbox and it works fine. try a clean install rather than an update.

truthspeaker 25-01-2015 11:48

I did a update everything is working fine and fast without problems so don't worry about it.

Update on top of windows 8.1

Dave42 25-01-2015 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35755051)
Have Microsoft said when Windows 10 will be released to the public?
Ken

sometime in autumn it looks like

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35755038)
I hope cortana is good. That may be a great help for me :)

Cortana is only available in USA at moment you got to change settings to us and install EN US language pack at moment hopefully not be too long before it works in uk too

admars 25-01-2015 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 35755074)
I did a clean install of WIN10TP on virtualbox and it works fine. try a clean install rather than an update.

10 is the host. Vbox has been running fine in it for weeks. Since yesterday's update vbox won't start( the vm is debian but that's irrelevant). There's a msg in eventvwr but not had time to investigate more than running as admin or trying compat mode which didn't help.

Avast seems to have been uninstalled as well :(

idi banashapan 25-01-2015 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 35755090)
10 is the host. Vbox has been running fine in it for weeks. Since yesterday's update vbox won't start( the vm is debian but that's irrelevant). There's a msg in eventvwr but not had time to investigate more than running as admin or trying compat mode which didn't help.

Avast seems to have been uninstalled as well :(

oh, I see. ok. well, I can't replicate that, so don't really have anything to add.

truthspeaker 25-01-2015 15:03

if anyone needs help just ask me, i help people for free.
am not like most people are selfish.

if i can't help you then i will tell you straight. that i can't help.
because am a straight forward person.

and i don't like giving people wrong advice like some people do

[Mod Edit - pointless generalised off-topic comment removed]

Sirius 25-01-2015 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthspeaker (Post 35755121)

[Mod Edit - pointless generalised off-topic comment removed]

Please don't de rail this thread, this is about windows 10

Any who back to windows 10 i don't like the new icons are all they look bland and uninteresting to say the least.

denphone 25-01-2015 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35755129)
Please don't de rail this thread, this is about windows 10

+1

SnoopZ 25-01-2015 16:05

I have decided to hold off until the Consumer Preview is released, hopefully only a few months away.