Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VM Router : Help needed on broadband (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704937)

Arthurgray50@blu 25-05-2017 21:51

Help needed on broadband

Hi Members.,

I need help regarding broadband, before l go mad.

When l go on my lap top at night and go through various sites. And l go onto Capital Gold or Smooth Radio.

And for some unkown during a song, it goes off for a couple of minutes. And then comes on again. I am on this at night.

Any ideas of what is wrong

weesteev 25-05-2017 22:10

Re: Help needed on broadband

Does it do the same thing on different browsers (firefox/chrome/IE)?

Arthurgray50@blu 25-05-2017 22:40

Hi weesteev.,

No, l go to the Goldplayer page, or Smooth radio page. I have gone to Magic now. And its still happening.

My wife has said that it could be the Virgin Broadband causing the problem, as they restrict the amount of usage at certain times.

But its really annoying, as you could be listening to say Wonder of you, and it cuts out in the middle of it

weesteev 25-05-2017 22:59

Very unlikely to be your connection, more likely a buffering issue with your browser. Easiest way to check is fire up BBC iPlayer and try and play a stream, that should show you if you have speed issues. If you can try a different browser then that's a good start as well. If problems persist then give the support team a call or drop a post over on the VM community forum and the team will get back to you directly if there is an issue.

HTH

Arthurgray50@blu 25-05-2017 23:10

cheers matey. Thank you for your help

General Maximus 26-05-2017 08:03

interesting one. VM don't manage the downstream in the evening and even if they did, I don't think you can physically stream enough radio to hit the threshold for stm to kick in and even if you did, you would still have enough bandwidth to continue streaming. Streaming radio takes up a grain of sand of bandwidth in relation to the speed of your connection. If there was something wrong with your VM connection (e.g. capacity issues) then it would affect your connection in its entirety and when the radio stopped you also wouldn't be able to browse to another site, play a game or check your email because your connection wouldn't work at all.
I would hazard a guess that as you mentioned laptop it is something to do with the wifi connection from the laptop to the shub/router. Is the laptop stationary or does the break in connection occur when you are moving the laptop around the house with you? I have got 3 different access points around my house and although I haven't tried it with my laptop, sometimes I'll see my phone and tablets drop their connection for a few seconds as they switch access point and channel and reacquire the signal.

Stephen 26-05-2017 14:34

Try a different browser is a good place to start.

Kushan 29-05-2017 13:44

Calling Virgin themselves and having them diagnose the fault is also worth considering. It'll get sorted a lot faster.

MUD_Wizard 30-05-2017 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35900918)
Calling Virgin themselves and having them diagnose the fault is also worth considering. It'll get sorted a lot faster.

Offshore will have him fixed up in no time! <Hysterical laugh>..

Sephiroth 30-05-2017 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35900918)

Do you hate the OP, Kush?

Kushan 30-05-2017 14:05

It's been 5 days now. If it's still not resolved, then I stand by what I said.

MUD_Wizard 30-05-2017 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35901064)
It's been 5 days now. If it's still not resolved, then I stand by what I said.

He's probably gone crazy by now talking to Offshore.