Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : UK Show Recommendations (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703385)

Horizon 31-07-2016 21:08

UK Show Recommendations

It's been a long time since I've watched normal tv on a day-to-day basis as the quality on the main channels is so bad now. Unfortunately when there are gems amongst the dross I tend to miss them, so I need the forum's help in identifying the wheat from the chaff.

I've seen very little British drama over the last 10-15 years and pretty much no comedy. Apart from the list below, which I have seen/am watching, can you recommend for me anything you think is worth a try and why? Any genre is fine and preferably in HD but no soaps and only drama or comedy.

What I've seen:

Merlin - all of it.
Humans - 1st series
The Musketeers - 1st series
In The Flesh
Ashes to Ashes
Line Of Duty - 1st series
Outcast
Survivors (2008 version)
Dr Who & Torchwood
Atlantis - awful
The Honourable Woman
Wolf Hall - just watched the 1st series of this.

That's about it, thanks!:)

adzii_nufc 01-08-2016 19:02

Re: UK Show Recommendations

The Tunnel - Season 1 and 2 thus far. A very well made British and French production. Sky Atlantic and On demand.

Sherlock surely? Absolutely quality cast and quality production. Unmissable IMO.

Not British but based on the British equivalent. US Congress drama - House of Cards is excellent.

Probably being a bit younger these comedies may seem a bit off.

Ideal - Old BBC3 show
The Inbetweeners 3 seasons channel 4
Gavin and Stacey, BBC 3 seasons

Not strictly a series but a two parter Terry Pratchett called Going Postal. Sky 1 a decent time ago.

About all I can think of from the top of my head.

Oh and this is England series is a particularly good series. Pretty graphic at times and deals with some extremely disturbing stuff but is done very well. Unfortunately the series is a direct sequel to the movie with the same title. So one would miss the entire origin story by diving in.

Horizon 01-08-2016 19:53

Not heard of The Tunnel, Ideal, Going Postal or This is England, so thanks for those.

Will pass on Gavin and Stacey, saw a trailer for it once and that was enough, but will check out the other two.

House of Cards is already on my viewing list, thanks for that one. Surprisingly, I forgot all about Sherlock so now that I've finished Wolf Hall, that'll be next.

The suggestions don't just have to be series', they can be one off dramas, or two parters etc. After Sherlock, Going Postal will be next.

Thanks!

denphone 02-08-2016 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35852082)
The Tunnel - Season 1 and 2 thus far. A very well made British and French production. Sky Atlantic and On demand.

Sherlock surely? Absolutely quality cast and quality production. Unmissable IMO.

Not British but based on the British equivalent. US Congress drama - House of Cards is excellent.

Probably being a bit younger these comedies may seem a bit off.

Ideal - Old BBC3 show
The Inbetweeners 3 seasons channel 4
Gavin and Stacey, BBC 3 seasons

Not strictly a series but a two parter Terry Pratchett called Going Postal. Sky 1 a decent time ago.

About all I can think of from the top of my head.

Oh and this is England series is a particularly good series. Pretty graphic at times and deals with some extremely disturbing stuff but is done very well. Unfortunately the series is a direct sequel to the movie with the same title. So one would miss the entire origin story by diving in.

Yes the first three you mention are excellent series but not sure about the others though.:)

Stuart 02-08-2016 13:34

It's not a series, and it's a drama based on actual events, but the BBC did a good job of covering "Honour Killing" with the show "Murdered By My Father". http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...d-by-my-father

Horizon 02-08-2016 21:21

..... thanks for that, never heard of it and now added to my list.

adzii_nufc 02-08-2016 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35852127)
Yes the first three you mention are excellent series but not sure about the others though.:)

Comedies I find can vary on your age. Doesn't apply to everyone of course but I can't find myself watching some of the oldies.

The other two are enjoyable for all though, especially the Terry Pratchett.

Also finding the Americans are putting out increasingly good productions lately.

ThunderPants73 19-12-2016 22:45

The Missing
Line of Duty (season 2 was amazing)
Luther
Happy Valley
Forgotten
River

Paul 20-12-2016 03:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35851984)
What I've seen:

Humans - 1st series
The Musketeers - 1st series

Humans Series 2 has just finished, make sure you see that.

There have also been more series of the Musketeers, the second one was "ok", I have not seen the last series.

denphone 20-12-2016 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35852253)
Comedies I find can vary on your age. Doesn't apply to everyone of course but I can't find myself watching some of the oldies.

The other two are enjoyable for all though, especially the Terry Pratchett.

Also finding the Americans are putting out increasingly good productions lately.

Well being a bit older myself l still find myself drawn to the old comedy classics and as of Terry Pratchett he was a genius who is no longer with us sadly.