Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M Gamer : Acceptable Post-RS levels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705082)

Travelstar 07-07-2017 16:49

Acceptable Post-RS levels

Anyone here got a view on what is acceptable from a post-RS errors count view?

Looking at my SH3, I'm seeing low hundreds over the course of several days.

RobboEdin 07-07-2017 19:55

Re: Acceptable Post-RS levels

How are you measuring them? I thought the Hub 3.0 didn't report that information.

Travelstar 07-07-2017 21:54

Pre:

http://192.168.100.1/walk?oids=1.3.6....127.1.1.4.1.3

http://192.168.100.1/walk?oids=1.3.6....127.1.1.4.1.4

Obviously the above is modem mode. Adjust IP address if using as a firewall.

RobboEdin 07-07-2017 21:59

...and how do you refresh the counts so you can get a good idea of the growth rate?

Travelstar 07-07-2017 22:16

Visit the page over a period of time and watch the counts change. Simples!

vm_tech 07-07-2017 23:41

Is your service being affected? If not then don't worry about it!

jb66 08-07-2017 09:51

There is no set figure

Travelstar 08-07-2017 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35906620)
Is your service being affected? If not then don't worry about it!

It has at certain points so yes. Downloads in particular can get corrupted.

spiderplant 09-07-2017 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35906683)
It has at certain points so yes. Downloads in particular can get corrupted.

Post-RS errors won't cause corrupted downloads, assuming you're using a transport protocol such as TCP, which you almost certainly are. The receiving end drops any packets that have post-RS errors, and waits/asks for them to be retransmitted. So the post-RS error doesn't corrupt your data; it just slows down the overall download by a tiny amount.

vm_tech 09-07-2017 10:26

You took the words out of my mouth spider. The errors are on the RF side of things. Also how the modems read them are slightly different, as that counter could be a few errors over a long period of time. How i see it with my tester in the field is different, if you get the odd blip now and again, you probably won't notice. But if it's a constant stream, you will

Travelstar 09-07-2017 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35906805)
You took the words out of my mouth spider. The errors are on the RF side of things. Also how the modems read them are slightly different, as that counter could be a few errors over a long period of time. How i see it with my tester in the field is different, if you get the odd blip now and again, you probably won't notice. But if it's a constant stream, you will

No - I have actually had some corrupted downloads. I've had to do a few Linux installs lately and the MD5 checks have come back bad on a few occasions. In all the cases, the download had stopped partially and was restarted.

spiderplant 09-07-2017 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35906817)
In all the cases, the download had stopped partially and was restarted.

Post-RS errors won't cause the download to stop unless you have a crazy number of them, which you don't.

Travelstar 09-07-2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35906835)
Post-RS errors won't cause the download to stop unless you have a crazy number of them, which you don't.

Agreed in principle however this is not the first time I've done a few big downloads and MD5s have not returned as expected. It's also not just from one source so quite surprised. I'm more surprised that use of MD5s is not as prevelabt as I would have liked as it's the quickest way to verify a download.

It might be time for me to do a little more testing with large downloads and try and replicate more, however surprised it's happened so many times.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

I've checked my networking equipment and no CRC errors are showing, so it's definitely upstream.

spiderplant 09-07-2017 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35906838)
Agreed in principle however this is not the first time I've done a few big downloads and MD5s have not returned as expected.

I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but your problem is not post-RS errors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 35906838)
I've checked my networking equipment and no CRC errors are showing, so it's definitely upstream.

Post-RS errors reported by your modem are downstream. If the upstream gets corrupted, the CMTS would see the errors, not your modem. It's always the receiving end that detects RS errors.

Travelstar 09-07-2017 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35906849)
I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but your problem is not post-RS errors.

Post-RS errors reported by your modem are downstream. If the upstream gets corrupted, the CMTS would see the errors, not your modem. It's always the receiving end that detects RS errors.

I'm referring upstream from my PC. I know the difference between upstream and downstream. :)