Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33618475)

michaelwr 26-07-2007 13:05

Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

Hi,

Rang up Virgin with this query but got put through to an irrelevant department. It would be lovely if someone here could shed some light on what I wanted to know.

I'm interested in subscribing to Virgin's cable broadband service. However, I live in a house with four other people, each owning their own computer, and we want to set up a wireless router so the internet connection can be easily shared between us.

I assume it's just a simple case of replacing the standard modem with a wireless cable mode, something like this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97221

I'm tech savvy, but I want to ensure I have all the right equipment available to me when it's time to install.

Thanks!

Paul K 26-07-2007 13:12

Re: Setting up wireless router with Virgin cable

Nope. The VM modem will plug into a cable router which then pumps out the feed to the PCs.

MovedGoalPosts 26-07-2007 13:13

:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Since virgin don't "support" as in offer help assistance, on routers, you won't get any clear info from them :(

You have to use the Virgin Media supplied cable modem. That is coded to your account.

Cable and ADSL (BT type phone lines) operate differently for broadband. A combined cable modem and router does not exist for Virgin Media Broadband.

Routers with or without wireless are readily available for use with cable, just make sure you don't get one with a built in ADSL modem.

Set up is simple. First ensure you know your cable braodband works by having one PC connected direct to the modem by ethernet. Now power off modem and PC, connect ethernet between modem and WAN port of router, connect ethernet between LAN port of router and PC. Boot up, check internet is working, and then configure the wireless setup.

eth01 26-07-2007 13:48

You need to keep your cable modem provided by VirginMedia. Just get yourself a Belkin Wireless G Router, it has 4 wired ports and has wireless functionality.

michaelwr 26-07-2007 21:44

Ah, so wireless without modem is plugged into Virgin modem... Not too bothered about having to use the Virgin one so long as it talks to the wireless!

Thanks so much for all the help! :D

rmiller 31-07-2007 08:24

Hi all
I'm having similar problems. My existing connection is by a Virgin Media cable from wall socket with a SMC USB adapter into a USB socket on my laptop and it works fine. However, I want to connect the router to my cable input and use my laptop with wireless networking built-in, without having to have a desktop as well, ie cable input from wall socket-router-wireless to laptop. I bought a Belkin G+ MIMO Router, but its connection instructions insist on me having a desktop connected to one of the yellow coded outlets as well. This is exactly what I don't want!

Any clues please?

Richard

mrmistoffelees 31-07-2007 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmiller (Post 34362843)
Hi all
I'm having similar problems. My existing connection is by a Virgin Media cable from wall socket with a SMC USB adapter into a USB socket on my laptop and it works fine. However, I want to connect the router to my cable input and use my laptop with wireless networking built-in, without having to have a desktop as well, ie cable input from wall socket-router-wireless to laptop. I bought a Belkin G+ MIMO Router, but its connection instructions insist on me having a desktop connected to one of the yellow coded outlets as well. This is exactly what I don't want!

Any clues please?

Richard

The only reason you would need to have a desktop connected is to initially configure the router

Aragorn 31-07-2007 09:32

Unfortunately, most routers require a temporary cabled connection to a computer to set them up. Doesn't your laptop have an ethernet port? If not have you got a mate with a laptop that does? Once the broadband and wireless are setup, you then don't need to have any PC plugged into the router.

Valerian 31-07-2007 10:10

hi guys new to this so, will this do the same job ??
Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch

Aragorn 31-07-2007 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerian (Post 34362883)
hi guys new to this so, will this do the same job ??
Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch

:welcome:

If you are using a Virgin Cable Modem, then yes a WRT54GL will do you fine as a Wireless router.

Valerian 31-07-2007 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aragorn (Post 34362885)
:welcome:

If you are using a Virgin Cable Modem, then yes a WRT54GL will do you fine as a Wireless router.

thanks , appreciate it

Speedy 09-08-2007 13:16

Hi, im new to this forum.

Can someone please provide a diagram on how to connect the wireless please?
Even a cheesy one drawn on Paint will do ;)

Also, do i still need a USB adapter for my PC if i have the VM cable modem?

Thanks in advance, Speedy

EDIT: Is the Linksys WRT54GL compatible with a Netgear WG111 USB adapter?

mrmistoffelees 09-08-2007 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 34371588)
Hi, im new to this forum.

Even a cheesy one drawn on Paint will do ;)

Also, do i still need a USB adapter for my PC if i have the VM cable modem?

Thanks in advance, Speedy

EDIT: Is the Linksys WRT54GL compatible with a Netgear WG111 USB adapter?

Do you not have an installation manual ?

LSainsbury 09-08-2007 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 34371588)

Not all my apply but take your pick of these!

This may apply:

http://z.about.com/d/compnetworking/...-diagram-1.jpg

Speedy 09-08-2007 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 34371610)
Do you not have an installation manual ?

Sorry, i forgot to tell you, i havent bought the stuff yet, i want to make sure everything is compatible before i do.

BTW, LSainsbury, thanks for that find ;) But i dont need an Ethernet Router with VM do i?