Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   General : Olympics - Brazil 2016 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703403)

Kursk 06-08-2016 09:17

Olympics - Brazil 2016

Well, I enjoyed the opening ceremony even if it had a sixties surreal quality to it and perhaps the organisers should be tested for drug abuse :)

The setting is epic of course. It's now over to our athletes to bring back some gold to replenish our reserves.

Hope the Games pass without incident; the celebration of life is a good way to start and a good way to finish.

Go GB!

Osem 06-08-2016 11:02

Re: Olympics Brazil 2016

Sadly the drug cheating revelations are going to tarnish this event more than any other.

denphone 06-08-2016 11:24

Billions will still watch it though...

adzii_nufc 06-08-2016 12:42

Re: Olympics - Brazil 2016

Its not just the Olympics though. Since Armstrong's outing as a cheat it appears testing agencies have rapidly caught up to Designer PEDs that have been used for years. Top athletes are being exposed every other week and its not limited to one sport. Someone recently said every top athlete was using designer PEDs and that ranges from Premier League footballers to Olympic Athletes.

Examples:

Tyson Fury (World Champion Boxer)
Wlad Klitschko ( 10 year champion boxer)
Lamont Peterson (Champion Boxer)
Brock Lesnar (UFC and WWE megastar)
Jon Jones ( UFC champion)
Frank Mir ( UFC heavyweight)
Maria Sharapova (Tennis)
Tyson Gay (Athletics)
Yohan Blake (Athletics)

Point being as the agencies are catching up, more and more sports are being outed as completely false.

Are we watching an event of skill and talent or are we watching an event of who got their PEDs spot on?
Even from the list above, regardless of what statement the sportsperson makes, its highly likely they were doping for years on end but their high end flashy PEDs finally got caught up in a test.

Lance Armstrong was the tip of an absolutely massive iceberg that is shattering like crazy now.

denphone 06-08-2016 12:49

l despise cheating but we must remember that it is a minority in sport who sadly cheat so its important not to tar everybody with the same brush and the majority are clean in my opinion.

adzii_nufc 06-08-2016 12:56

Agreed, its impossible for anyone to point out such people and tar everyone but people still have to consider that 'clean' and haven't been caught yet are two separate things.

As far as we were aware, Maria Sharapova was clean for the past 5 years. Up until the point she just wasn't.

Russia is an entire country with state sponsored doping. It would be foolish to believe they're the only one. Its just that they're likely the biggest.

You'd find doping in athletics every other day due to stricter testing, but now you're getting stricter testing across the board for world sport with recent catchups detecting advanced designer PEDs and PED maskers. Hence high profile dominos falling such as Armstrong and Sharapova.

Either everyone scrambles to rid themselves of the need to dope or more people will be exposed. There's plenty more high profile cases to come yet.

denphone 06-08-2016 13:00

Indeed going on about Russia l remember East Germany where it was very much state sponsored doping for at least two decades.

adzii_nufc 06-08-2016 13:10

Its bad stuff either way and we're not looking too great ourselves. Since high profile name drops and the catchups, GB athletes have been deliberately missing tests. 3 of them are at Rio.

Kenya are another that were clearly running state sponsored doping.

Ireland have already lost a boxing competitor after he failed a test.

Team GB have had dopers for years but never got as far as leaking the names. All we ever knew is a specific top name and medalist provided ridiculous blood samples on 3 different occasions. This would be an indication of when Designer PEDs were masked but the blood levels showed abnormalities. Still meaning nothing could be proved even though you'd know they were guilty.

I'd hate to see an icon like Bolt fall next though but honestly, Blake and Powell both got caught so it wouldn't shock me anymore.

adzii_nufc 07-08-2016 12:41

Sorry in advance if inappropriate but this gem just made the front page of Reddit.

Credit to the Germans.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpONMhHWcAMobF-.jpg possibly NSFW - Light hearted laughs but still completely unfortunate timing.

denphone 07-08-2016 13:40

This was absolutely terrible to see this happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36999627

adzii_nufc 07-08-2016 17:27

Buatsi scored first Knockout win of the Olympics, GB light Heavyweight scoring a TKO win over the Ugandan in round 3.

Love Olympic Boxing, 3 rounds to put it all on the line. Only issue I see is the games of catch weight that shouldn't be happening. Got a clear middleweight that never came close to getting in at 81kg, fighting an actual 81kg when it would have been simpler to have him drop class to 69kg or actually make your weight for 75.

denphone 07-08-2016 18:00

Yes l must say l enjoy it too although my partner is not too keen on it.

Paul 07-08-2016 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35852678)
Billions will still watch it though...

I wont be one of them.

denphone 07-08-2016 18:15

That's entirely your prerogative.

Kursk 07-08-2016 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35852835)
This was absolutely terrible to see this happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36999627

The leg break wasn't nice and the beeb won't show it. It's on YouTube of course if you choose to look; if you're undecided, it is a nasty floppy-leg type injury.

The women's cycling is currently on with Lizzie Armitstead (who missed 3 dope tests for various reasons); what do people think about her participation?

denphone 07-08-2016 19:12

This probably explains it pretty well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/o...-a7174561.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/...d--but-she-ha/

adzii_nufc 08-08-2016 03:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35852879)
The leg break wasn't nice and the beeb won't show it. It's on YouTube of course if you choose to look; if you're undecided, it is a nasty floppy-leg type injury.

The women's cycling is currently on with Lizzie Armitstead (who missed 3 dope tests for various reasons); what do people think about her participation?

I still think what I said earlier. The testing bodies caught up with Designer PEDs and those that have spent years doping up are showing vast cracks. Sure people get caught all the time but honestly there's been some pretty high tech stuff going on to avoid detection. Again, Armstrong was the tip of a huge iceberg.

In this case it screams of someone that fears the masking agents for PEDs are being caught out, which they are. So missed tests would indicate someone coming off a cycle and not being able to mask it like they have previously.

Until the next high tech advancement that allows the next generation of cheaters to avoid detection.

A bigger issue is the fact these athletes hardly just go around fancying a doping cycle, other people actively encourage it. Trainers and so forth and in bigger cases as we've seen with Russia and state sponsored abuse.

In times like this it'd be daft to assume any country is full of clean competitors.

To answer the question, why should we mind her competing? Be reasonable and play the odds, if she was doping then its odds on she wasn't the only one in that race juiced up.

We don't know what records and achievements are real anymore, personally I had no idea PEDs had reached a point of being undetectable, thus coining the phrase Designer PEDs, so anyone in the past 20 years could've cheated and we'd be none the wiser.

Their supporters and their sport are the true casualties though. Oh and those that actually compete legitimately.

Kursk 08-08-2016 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35852927)
We don't know what records and achievements are real anymore.

Agree with everything you have said including and especially the sentence above. Who knows what the real unassisted achievement of human effort is these days; when a record goes, my first thought is to wonder if the athlete is clean so I just take the Games with a pinch of salt.

People make a lot of money from cheating and therein too lies the problem. People compete for the money not for the pride of winning for their country (or at least that seems secondary). Then they leave for the tax haven of Monaco or stash their cash in the Cayman Islands.

Perhaps instead of the usual honours for cronies in Government service, people could be given a gold, silver or bronze medal instead; a bit of mix 'n' match will make no more nonsense of the awards than already exists :D

tweetiepooh 08-08-2016 13:06

Enjoyed the team archery tournaments (Men and women). Korea won both but is their national sport. I like to see field (animal face) in there, would be good to watch.

adzii_nufc 09-08-2016 22:56

The Olympic pool has literally turned green. :erm:

Kursk 10-08-2016 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853196)

The situation is getting worse:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2016/08/2.gif

denphone 10-08-2016 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853196)

Yes l have never seen that before at a major tournament.

adzii_nufc 10-08-2016 18:39

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37030696

Great stuff :)

denphone 10-08-2016 18:44

Indeed.:tu:

Kursk 10-08-2016 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853300)

From a small seed a flower may bloom.

But on a more general note, where are the crowds? Some arenas look almost empty. I know some tickets are expensive but there are also supposed to be cheaper ones available. The cycling for example is free to watch out on the road but I've seen bigger crowds at local fun runs.

Perhaps people are fed up with the cheats? Perhaps people are boycotting the Games which they may feel to be something their country can't afford or that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Whatever, Rio looked quite bleak today with pouring rain and high winds. Yes, it's winter but that wouldn't stop hardy Brits getting out to support the Games.

I dunno; the gloss seems to be missing or maybe the real Games have yet to kick off? The highlight so far has been Usain Bolt doing the samba with a bevy of Brazillian, erm, dancers.:p:

adzii_nufc 10-08-2016 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35853317)
From a small seed a flower may bloom.

But on a more general note, where are the crowds? Some arenas look almost empty. I know some tickets are expensive but there are also supposed to be cheaper ones available. The cycling for example is free to watch out on the road but I've seen bigger crowds at local fun runs.

Perhaps people are fed up with the cheats? Perhaps people are boycotting the Games which they may feel to be something their country can't afford or that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Whatever, Rio looked quite bleak today with pouring rain and high winds. Yes, it's winter but that wouldn't stop hardy Brits getting out to support the Games.

I dunno; the gloss seems to be missing or maybe the real Games have yet to kick off? The highlight so far has been Usain Bolt doing the samba with a bevy of Brazillian, erm, dancers.:p:

Besides Foreigners, the answer probably lies within that highlighted bit.

I'm betting the Olympics are not affordable to the majority.

See: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-olympic-games
http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...brazil/493697/

Doubt they're happy they're knocking down 'Houses' to accommodate something those people could never afford in the end. Pretty sad outcome either way. In fact it's a disgusting outcome and completely missed the point of why she was living in a 'shed'. Again though with the highlighted bit, there will always be an argument that money could have been spent easing some of the harshest slums in the world that are inside Brazil. They had the audacity to promote 'Green' with the opening ceremony too. Try tackling the corruptness and poverty in your own backyard first. :dunce: Hosting A World Cup that set them back funds too. Just taking a crap over the lower class. Which is different by our standards. It's not impossible for a lower class person in the UK to be able to buy a ticket for something, infact JSA claimants tend to see more Football than me! It's a reverse though for Brazil.

I think London smashed it, that's why I feel it's a bit low key at the minute. I've seen no general excitement for Brazil as hosts and the fact they're forever messing something up, being delayed or causing national outrage somewhere never helped it. Half of the venues still had scaffolding on it a week beforehand.

denphone 10-08-2016 21:16

Two golds for Great Britain this evening.:D

Kursk 11-08-2016 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853322)
I think London smashed it, that's why I feel it's a bit low key at the minute.

Yep, London did pretty well following Beijing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35853324)
Two golds for Great Britain this evening.:D

And 4 bronze Den (cycling, shooting, judo and gymnastics). They all count :)

adzii_nufc 11-08-2016 22:58

Team GB win Team sprint again.

TheDaddy 12-08-2016 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35852873)
I wont be one of them.

Don't think I'll be watching much more, I watched a bit of the women's beech volleyball the other day and there was a nasty wrist injury within minutes, the good news is I should be okay for work on Monday though.

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35852881)

The second article raises some good points about not challenging the first missed test. She should've been banned imo, her sport in particular needs to be above reproach if it's going to recover from previous scandals. Bet Rio ferdinand isn't best pleased either, he missed 8 months of football and was it a world cup for missing one test.

denphone 12-08-2016 15:36

Two more golds.:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36772591

Kursk 12-08-2016 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853563)
Team GB win Team sprint again.

Cycling never lets us down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35853606)
Don't think I'll be watching much more, I watched a bit of the women's beech volleyball the other day and there was a nasty wrist injury within minutes, the good news is I should be okay for work on Monday though.

Hahaaaarrrr :D

adzii_nufc 12-08-2016 22:54

Team GB break World Record and claim gold in Team Pursuit

Kursk 13-08-2016 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853747)

Aussies had me worried for a bit but it all came good...except Sir Wiggo's face during the anthem :)

denphone 13-08-2016 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853747)

Truly wonderful by them yet again.:)

Kursk 13-08-2016 10:14

I've just realised there's something I'm not looking forward to in the athletics - the Brendan Foster/Steve Cram know-it-all-in-tedious-detail commentary style. Do we have to ship out the same old bores every time someone starts to run in circles or up a road?

The repetitiveness is ebbing the life out of me.

And still there are no crowds. Perhaps the sight of self indulgent athletes ingratiating themselves is no longer motivating for the average, skint bystander.

denphone 13-08-2016 10:26

Yes Steve Cram really gets on my nerves as well old boy so l have the mute button on currently with the subtitles on.

Chris 13-08-2016 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35853793)
I've just realised there's something I'm not looking forward to in the athletics - the Brendan Foster/Steve Cram know-it-all-in-tedious-detail commentary style. Do we have to ship out the same old bores every time someone starts to run in circles or up a road?

The repetitiveness is ebbing the life out of me.

And still there are no crowds. Perhaps the sight of self indulgent athletes ingratiating themselves is no longer motivating for the average, skint bystander.

It sounds to me like you're not looking forward to anything all about the athletics ...

And surely the whole point is that these athletes are not the self-indulgent pretty boys of premier league football, they are the true sportsmen and women, who don't throw a tantrum if they don't earn enough for a new Porche every week.

TheDaddy 13-08-2016 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35853823)
It sounds to me like you're not looking forward to anything all about the athletics ...

And surely the whole point is that these athletes are not the self-indulgent pretty boys of premier league football, they are the true sportsmen and women, who don't throw a tantrum if they don't earn enough for a new Porche every week.

It's just a shame for these true sportsmen that their chosen events are to dull to keep the publics attention for anything more than a couple of days every four years really.

adzii_nufc 13-08-2016 23:33

Women's team Pursuit win Gold

Male single pursuit has two GB finalists, so Guaranteed both Gold and Silver. Shame one of them will lose though. Andy Murray is also on course to secure the Tennis singles Gold and will face Del Potro as heavy favourite.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Forgot to mention Team GB destroyed the field in Rowing with ease.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

GB's Joe Joyce at Super Heavy destroys Santos Morais in the early boxing prelims.

Kursk 14-08-2016 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35853823)

Nah, I am watching it; I'd just like a bit of variety. I can just see Steve and Brendan with their flat caps on having a chinwag about t'runners and I'd rather not :)

I'm not fussed on £1m per month Pogba either. For that money I'd want him scoring 5 times a match whilst whistlin' Dixie and tap dancing along the crossbar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35853795)
Yes Steve Cram really gets on my nerves as well old boy so l have the mute button on currently with the subtitles on.

Good idea old chap :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35853938)
Women's team Pursuit win Gold

Male single pursuit has two GB finalists, so Guaranteed both Gold and Silver. Shame one of them will lose though. Andy Murray is also on course to secure the Tennis singles Gold and will face Del Potro as heavy favourite.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Forgot to mention Team GB destroyed the field in Rowing with ease.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

GB's Joe Joyce at Super Heavy destroys Santos Morais in the early boxing prelims.

Amazing cycling, too many top performances to name everyone. Did you see the Dutch girl ride the side barrier in the keirin?! link:shocked:

denphone 14-08-2016 07:18

And Mo has done it yet again.:)

denphone 14-08-2016 18:34

Max Whitlock becomes Great Britain's first ever gymnastics Olympic champion.:clap::clap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36772906

martyh 14-08-2016 21:03

I think there may have been some worry about Team GB's abilities away from home .London 2012 would take some beating but i reckon this is a brilliant performance from the whole team

denphone 14-08-2016 21:07

They have done remarkably well and there are still 5 days to go.

Kursk 14-08-2016 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35854058)
I think there may have been some worry about Team GB's abilities away from home .London 2012 would take some beating but i reckon this is a brilliant performance from the whole team

Agreed. GB have performed well across the range of disciplines.

All this despite the predictions from No 10 that Brexit would mean we would get no medals in Rio because without the EU we are useless.:D

Not sure what's to come though; maybe we have peaked?

TheDaddy 15-08-2016 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35854086)

We peaked in 1908, they had the tug of war included as an event back then, how cool would that be now

Maggy 15-08-2016 08:46

Quote:

Agreed. GB have performed well across the range of disciplines.

All this despite the predictions from No 10 that Brexit would mean we would get no medals in Rio because without the EU we are useless.:D

Hopefully we have little Nicola Adams in boxing..

denphone 15-08-2016 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35854096)

And maybe Mo can do it again on Wednesday as well.

Derek 15-08-2016 10:41

Quote:

Triathlon is a good bet for a couple of medals, we've a guaranteed gold in the sailing plus a few more possibilities in the athletics.

Still it all pales into insignificance compared to the mighty Sir Andy Murray, I'm sure MarkC will be round shortly to offer his congratulations to such an outstanding British athlete. :D

Kursk 15-08-2016 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35854094)
We peaked in 1908, they had the tug of war included as an event back then, how cool would that be now

The event could be called Rope-a-Dope ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35854096)

I'm sure there's a medal there and as Den says, Mo too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35854126)
Still it all pales into insignificance compared to the mighty Sir Andy Murray, I'm sure MarkC will be round shortly to offer his congratulations to such an outstanding British athlete. :D

We're all in this together. Team GB:)

Osem 15-08-2016 15:20

Having lived through decades during which the UK had virtually no representation in gymnastics and swimming, for example, I think the transformation evident in the last few years has been remarkable.

If I had to pick one person, amongst many, to single out in the gymnastics it'd be Lewis Smith who I think is a very fine young man indeed. I've long admired his attitude and his tears as he just missed out on the Gold said it all to me. I think his example has in large part served to inspire many to go on to better things.

As a near neighbour of one of our other medal prospects for the last 15 years or so, I have seen all too well the extent of the training and dedication required to succeed at this level so they have my absolute admiration and respect. They're a credit to our nation and I'm very much hoping that the young lady in question will fulfil her dreams. I just know the smile on her face will be something to behold.

Kursk 15-08-2016 16:48

'Strictly' speaking Louis is always a winner but yes, it was clear how much the sport means to him and, although I'm cautious about commenting on people I don't know, he does I agree come across as a nice bloke. He can feel proud of his achievement as I'm sure his family is.

A little uncomfortable with women punching each other (breasts and ovaries) but people are free to choose and on that basis I hope she wins for us (but no-one gets hurt).

denphone 15-08-2016 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35854169)

I'm sure there's a medal there and as Den says, Mo too.

We're all in this together. Team GB:)

And we certainly are in this together as Charlotte Dujardin wins gold in the
Individual dressage.:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36772910

TheDaddy 15-08-2016 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35854169)

If the Olympics really wanted to be inclusive they'd bring it back, a load of fat slobs wandering slowly round the track slightly out of breath at opening ceremony would act as inspiration to us all, we could all be that athlete on day if we train hard and eat right.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35854126)
Triathlon is a good bet for a couple of medals, we've a guaranteed gold in the sailing plus a few more possibilities in the athletics.

Didn't watch it but I heard him interviewed and he is growing on me more and more, I was impressed with him taking journalists to task over fred perry and in a non sporting sense he hasn't put a foot wrong since imo

adzii_nufc 15-08-2016 19:49

French athlete disqualified from finishing 2nd in the Women's 10km swim. Looking at it, it appears she jumps on top of her opponent in a battle for second and then gets that first touch on the line. Controversial but just going off what I see.

Moss10 15-08-2016 22:02

2016 Olympics has been fantastic; with some amazing results, it's been a truly exciting event.

Newoldie 15-08-2016 22:19

Watching the cycling, Mark Cavendish gets a Silver!
Liked cycle racing ever since I saw World Champs Reg Harris (Manchester) v Arie van Vliet (Dutch) at Halesowen ‘Velodrome’ late 1940/50 era. I still cycle a bit but don't exactly speeed along . :)

Kursk 15-08-2016 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newoldie (Post 35854275)
I still cycle a bit but don't exactly speeed along . :)

You're amongst friends here (well, mostly) :D. Great silver for Cav but also happy for Viviani who rides for Sky.

adzii_nufc 15-08-2016 23:59

Can't go anywhere in the world without horrid boxing judges showing up somewhere, worst of all in a gold medal fight.

Russia's world champion Evgeny Tishchenko beats Kazakhstan's Vassiliy Levit to win gold in the men's 91kg

Vassily has the first two rounds, the commentators have it that way, I have it that way, the entire stadium has it that way, somehow Tishchenko walks away with a Unanimous decision, bad judging. The Russian rallies a bit in the third but doesn't get close to a 10-8 by any means. Crap decision, wish there was something that could be done.

Maggy 16-08-2016 11:55

Nicola Adams around 3 PM.

denphone 16-08-2016 12:18

One hopes our smart meter is not being installed at that time.:erm:

adzii_nufc 16-08-2016 19:28

Disgraceful scenes in boxing as once again a boxer is robbed facing a Russian, what a stinking coincidence that is. Young Irishman Conlon had no problems telling it how it was.

NSFW: Strong Language after the 'defeat' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTi5Om17_TQ

What an absolute mess though, two blatant robberies in under 24 hours and both involving Russians.

Already stirring up accusations that the Russians have blatantly greasing the right palms.

''They might as well not even had the fight because the score cards were already filled out'' - Announcer :erm:

denphone 16-08-2016 19:31

Indeed it was utterly shocking how they scored the fight.

Julian 16-08-2016 19:44

Scant consolation I know but it's great to watch one of the drugged up commie cheats literally flopping HERE :)

adzii_nufc 16-08-2016 19:51

Hard to criticize the Olympic equivalent of a sport that's corrupt worldwide and under every orginisation. Boxing and judges worldwide are laughable at times. Ludicrous scorecards in major fights.

Hands get greased, results go hilariously lopsided.

Timothy Bradley vs Manny Pacquiao I - Some astonishing scorecards, later confirmed to be horribly judged by an investigation by a commissioned panel.

Mayweather vs Alvarez - Judge CJ ross inexplicably scores the fight a draw. CJ ross also scored Bradley vs Pacman I in Bradley's favour. Twice in a year she produced extraordinary scorecards.

Amir Khan vs Lamont Peterson, a man in the ring during Peterson's celebration was found to have shadowed the judges table throughout the fight and had an actual input on the cards, something he originally denied but then claimed to have helped correct them. Khan's team and Golden boy withdrew an appeal claiming it was absolutely pointless trying to argue against them.

Rigged fights everywhere but Olympic boxing now? come on.

denphone 16-08-2016 19:59

So nice to see a 16 year old Brit win a bronze in the Gymnastics while we have got a gold in the sailing which has now been confirmed,

Damien 16-08-2016 21:43

Laura Trott is insane! She has this race won as long as she doesn't crash or something but the woman behind her in the rankings were part of a breakaway ahead of her and Trott just went for them, a sudden burst of speed.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

She's won the gold!

denphone 16-08-2016 21:47

And we have another gold in the sailing.

Maggy 17-08-2016 00:05

And another for her fiance in an absolutely insane restarted twice race.

Kursk 17-08-2016 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35854480)
And another for her fiance in an absolutely insane restarted twice race.

The Derny is the problem; the exact point at which it leaves the track is subjective. I wonder if it was fitted with a green for GO light it would remove any debate about when the race really starts?

heero_yuy 17-08-2016 09:02

Quote:

A POLE vault hopeful missed out on his chance of an Olympic medal when the bar was knocked off its perch by his WILLY.

Japanese pole vaulter Hiroki Ogita will be ruing the size of his manhood
Linky with pictures and video NSFW :D

tweetiepooh 17-08-2016 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35854430)
Scant consolation I know but it's great to watch one of the drugged up commie cheats literally flopping HERE :)

That's not nice. Not good to see anyone fail.

Never see the point in boxing though, if you are daft enough to participate in an event where the concept is to hurt someone else. Nasty and shouldn't be in Olympics. Greco-romano wrestling, judo etc it's more about single pins and points, there may be some "hurting" but it's not the aim as in boxing.

Kursk 17-08-2016 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35854491)

He's not using that pendulum action to best effect ;)

Women's hockey team on for at least silver after beating NZ 3:0.

It was hard and sweaty. No, I meant the hockey :rolleyes:

Maggy 18-08-2016 09:36

Here comes the suspicions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37108833

denphone 18-08-2016 10:47

Strange how these other countries shout from the rooftops when they win these events and then say our athletes need to learn from them and then when we have learned and improved from better coaching methods , sports science etc , etc then they have and lead the world in many of these events they then accuse us of cheating basically.:rolleyes:

Kursk 18-08-2016 14:49

What a bunch of moaning minnies. My advice to the rest of the World is to train harder, eat better, upgrade your equipment, look after your athletes and stfu.

Nothing worse than bad losers. We are small islands that have given the World medical and scientific advances, innovation in engineering and the very essence of fair play.

We win because we work at it and don't bellyache when others are better. The continentals are smarting for political reasons but the Australians ought to know better.

Get over it.

denphone 18-08-2016 16:56

Gold and silver by the Brownlee brothers in the triathlon.:)

Kursk 18-08-2016 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35854670)
Gold and silver by the Brownlee brothers in the triathlon.:)

Ha! Best possible reply to bad losers :D

TheDaddy 18-08-2016 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35854634)
Here comes the suspicions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37108833

You'd expect it from foreign media, they've got papers to sell like everyone else bit harsh of other athletes questioning our integrity though, I don't remember any brits questioning the aussie cycling team when they were dominant at the turn of the century.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35854661)
What a bunch of moaning minnies. My advice to the rest of the World is to train harder, eat better, upgrade your equipment, look after your athletes and stfu.

Nothing worse than bad losers. We are small islands that have given the World medical and scientific advances, innovation in engineering and the very essence of fair play.

We win because we work at it and don't bellyache when others are better. The continentals are smarting for political reasons but the Australians ought to know better.

Get over it.

That's the key, every time they think they're catching up we revel new innovations that leave them back at the drawing board scratching their heads. Cycling is pretty straightforward you get out (medals) what you put in (cash)

Chris 18-08-2016 17:58

Team GB is very canny with its cash. They spend it so that it bears fruit right where most people will see it (the olympics). If we won world cycling titles every year but lost the olympics there would be howls of complaint about the amount of money spent on it. But by allowing those of us who indirectly fund it to bask in their reflected glory every four years, they secure their funding stream.

Kursk 19-08-2016 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35854675)
Cycling is pretty straightforward you get out (medals) what you put in (cash)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35854685)
Team GB is very canny with its cash. They spend it so that it bears fruit right where most people will see it (the olympics). If we won world cycling titles every year but lost the olympics there would be howls of complaint about the amount of money spent on it. But by allowing those of us who indirectly fund it to bask in their reflected glory every four years, they secure their funding stream.

Spot on both.

Also, funding and a nice shiny gong ought to be enough reward for being good at playing games; I don't see why winning medals should qualify you for national honours. It seems like everyone and his father is a 'Sir' these days. It has a demeaning effect.

adzii_nufc 19-08-2016 02:46

Usain Bolt nets a hat trick of 100m and 200m golds going back to 2008. Assuming he gets the team relay then he'll net triple gold medals for the third time in a row.

Astonishing though. An absolute phenom of a sprinter, unbeatable. By a massive margin the greatest sprinter ever seen. Its never even close, the guy destroys the field every time.

I doubt the sprinting events will ever reach these heights again soon. He'll surely see out the relay and then the curtains close on an epic guy in his final Olympics.

In Tokyo for the first time in 12 years we'll see new gold medalists for the 100m and 200m races. No doubt plenty of sprinters will be overjoyed to know we may have an open race rather than a foregone conclusion before its started. I mean at the minute its more a game of who can get the closest to Bolt.

Had the ridiculous thought of imagining Bolt on PEDs. I get the impression an 88mph back to the future scenario could occur.

Chris 19-08-2016 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35854736)
Spot on both.

Also, funding and a nice shiny gong ought to be enough reward for being good at playing games; I don't see why winning medals should qualify you for national honours. It seems like everyone and his father is a 'Sir' these days. It has a demeaning effect.

On the contrary, the Knights of sport and stage are the ones whose endeavours most effectively bring the world's attention to the UK. The honours system has consistently recognised this over many years.

Kursk 19-08-2016 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35854751)
On the contrary, the Knights of sport and stage are the ones whose endeavours most effectively bring the world's attention to the UK. The honours system has consistently recognised this over many years.

But they get their nice shiny medal or statuette or cup or whatever to evidence their astounding achievement; surely that galvanises the world's attention?

We pay for a monarch to do the stuff above and beyond that otherwise why bother keeping them?

tweetiepooh 19-08-2016 11:34

Saw article today Bolt close to being fastest possible.

Statistician claiming that Bolt is close to the maximum speed a human can attain. And similar is true at 400m. This would mean without some "enhancements" or some unexpected improvement there won't be many more records broken at 100m and 400m, maybe once more and that's it. Bit like if some archer got 720 in the ranking shoot. That's the maximum, no-one can beat it.

Kursk 19-08-2016 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35854765)
Saw article today Bolt close to being fastest possible.

Statistician claiming that Bolt is close to the maximum speed a human can attain. And similar is true at 400m. This would mean without some "enhancements" or some unexpected improvement there won't be many more records broken at 100m and 400m, maybe once more and that's it. Bit like if some archer got 720 in the ranking shoot. That's the maximum, no-one can beat it.

I remember American Bob Beamon establishing a long jump record that, at the time, was said to have ruined the event because it could never be beaten. Over 29 feet with the competition nowhere in sight. It took nearly 23 years but Beamon's record was taken by Mike Powell.

Beamon was called a human kangeroo but eventually even his achievement was surpassed. Usain is a slow starter after all :D

adzii_nufc 19-08-2016 19:09

Paralympics set to flop massively as Brazil 'runs out of money'

Shambles. Still struggle to believe why a country full of corruption and poverty was given an event to spend billions on 2 years after a world cup.

88% of tickets are still on sale.

Total *********. Spend a fortune on a few weeks of glitter that a hefty amount of the population can't afford to attend. Only to be left with 10 white elephants at the end of it to nobodies benefit.

Sure you could argue our own money was better spent elsewhere but we haven't housed millions in people in what are essentially garden sheds more commonly known as slums.

Best question yet though is the one already being thrown around. What happened to the pledged money? We know the answer though. Its Brazil, someone's back pocket is a whole lot fatter.

Osem 19-08-2016 22:57

Well done to Nick Skelton on becoming the UK's second oldest ever Olympic gold medal winner. :clap: :clap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36691138

And a equally sincere well done to the womens hockey team for showing our vastly overpaid prima donna footballers how to handle a penalty shoot out.

:clap:

Kursk 20-08-2016 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35854822)

Which is a great shame :(.

But I'm trying to stay optimistic about Rio 2016 probably because our mob have done well and because even in mid winter it's a great looking location.
Besides, the papers reckon the end of the world is nigh again :)

denphone 20-08-2016 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35854857)
Well done to Nick Skelton on becoming the UK's second oldest ever Olympic gold medal winner. :clap: :clap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36691138

And a equally sincere well done to the womens hockey team for showing our vastly overpaid prima donna footballers how to handle a penalty shoot out.

:clap:

Absolutely superb as you say.:)

martyh 20-08-2016 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35854822)

Shambles. Still struggle to believe why a country full of corruption and poverty was given an event to spend billions on 2 years after a world cup.

88% of tickets are still on sale.

Total *********. Spend a fortune on a few weeks of glitter that a hefty amount of the population can't afford to attend. Only to be left with 10 white elephants at the end of it to nobodies benefit.

Sure you could argue our own money was better spent elsewhere but we haven't housed millions in people in what are essentially garden sheds more commonly known as slums.

Best question yet though is the one already being thrown around. What happened to the pledged money? We know the answer though. Its Brazil, someone's back pocket is a whole lot fatter.

Although i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments i think that the money needed for a successful Paralympics should be given by other countries on this occasion for the sake of the contestants

denphone 20-08-2016 08:20

Indeed l echo those same sentiments.

Damien 20-08-2016 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35854884)
Although i agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments i think that the money needed for a successful Paralympics should be given by other countries on this occasion for the sake of the contestants

It's was clear from the offset they weren't bothered by the Paralympics part. They need to split out the Paralympics from the Olympics at this rate or make sure the IOC chooses nations capable of providing the funding, facilities and audience for the Paralympics when selecting who gets the Olympics.

Probably a pipe dream but I would have liked to see the UK step in and host them consecutively when the situation became clear in Brazil. We probably don't have the facilities there anymore though.

martyh 20-08-2016 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35854891)
It's was clear from the offset they weren't bothered by the Paralympics part. They need to split out the Paralympics from the Olympics at this rate or make sure the IOC chooses nations capable of providing the funding, facilities and audience for the Paralympics when selecting who gets the Olympics.

Probably a pipe dream but I would have liked to see the UK step in and host them consecutively when the situation became clear in Brazil. We probably don't have the facilities there anymore though.

In financial terms though the situation in Brazil was very different back in 2009 wasn't it ? at the time of the award Brazil was recovering from recession .Either way what's done is done and i think the Paralympics need a financial rescue package or it could be said that the rest of the world aren't bothered about the Paralympics either .

Osem 20-08-2016 10:07

So sad for Lutalo Muhammed who had a gold medal snatched from his grasp in the last second of his fight. Listening to him being interviewed afterwards was one of the most moving things I've heard in a long time. I hope he can find the will to use this bitter experience to motivate him onwards.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the medal my neighbour won and giving her a great big hug!

Damien 20-08-2016 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35854893)
In financial terms though the situation in Brazil was very different back in 2009 wasn't it ? at the time of the award Brazil was recovering from recession .Either way what's done is done and i think the Paralympics need a financial rescue package or it could be said that the rest of the world aren't bothered about the Paralympics either .

It's the same as the World Cup though in the awarding of tournaments on the basis they'll improve by then rather than a sober judgment of their ability to deliver IMO.

I think what you suggest is a good idea although I think the whole think is a disaster beyond salvage at this point. It's the lack of an audience than upsets me most.

This story from London 2012 shows what these games mean to the athletes and it's sad to see how they've been treated: http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/...n-london/?_r=0

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35854897)
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the medal my neighbour won and giving her a great big hug!

Well you can't just leave it at that. :shocked:

martyh 20-08-2016 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35854899)
It's the same as the World Cup though in the awarding of tournaments on the basis they'll improve by then rather than a sober judgment of their ability to deliver IMO.

I think what you suggest is a good idea although I think the whole think is a disaster beyond salvage at this point. It's the lack of an audience than upsets me most.

This story from London 2012 shows what these games mean to the athletes and it's sad to see how they've been treated: http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/...n-london/?_r=0

yeah those seats need to be filled even if they have to give the tickets away ,it's a financial disaster anyway

Kursk 20-08-2016 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35854897)
So sad for Lutalo Muhammed who had a gold medal snatched from his grasp in the last second of his fight.

I couldn't believe it. I thought his opponent had run off at the end because he was so upset. And then I saw Muhammed's coach and thought oh no...

But just how long is one second in a taekwondo bout?!

It all came out in the interview and who can blame him....damn, so close! :(

adzii_nufc 20-08-2016 14:07

Paralympic games to still go ahead as Rio OC gets more state funding :erm:

Not really doing anyone any favours there. Sets a massive example now to the bodies that award the games in the future to do due diligence when selecting a host. I'm sure Damien's right though, they clearly didn't give a crap, they've had to have known ages ago they'd never make this event work.

In terms of events it's been great, for the Olympics anyway. The fact half of the venues were still having work done to them a week before and up to the opening ceremony though tells a different story away from stuff on the field. Stuff like knocking down the favelas and shifting people so they wouldn't look a mess in front of the rest of the world. I reckon the best comparison is you sweeping all your rubbish into the cupboard whilst your mate comes round :erm:

So anyway, Paralympics will go ahead with reduced facilities, minimal ticket sales and whatever else they fancy throwing into it at the last minute, leaving no time for any real solution. The Paralympics have basically been shat on here. :rolleyes:

So back to the track then. Bolt again tore apart the track, was completely ridiculous. He had competitors level, slowed for the change and then just blew away, poor buggers beside him couldn't get anywhere near his speed.