Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33631299)

Andy298 10-04-2008 22:11

Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

Hi guys

I've got a friend who wants me to setup wireless broadband for his mother. Simple enough task, but I'm being told by various people at work that it isn't possible if the user is getting their BB through the set-top box. When I ask them why they say they're not sure? But apparently Virgin do something at their end to stop them using their own kit through a STB!? Not a good enough answer for me I'm affraid and TBH I think it's a load of rubbish (but I've now started to question myself!). Surely if I use router that is NAT capable it doesn't matter?

BenMcr 10-04-2008 22:15

Re: Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

It is not that is not possible (my dad has a router on a Virgin STB broadband connection). The problem comes with the way the STB broadband works

As the STB broadband locks to the MAC address of the NIC in whatever is connected to it, everytime you change the equipment you have to re-register it to the STB with the PID number and password which gets a bit fiddly (unless you clone the MAC address of the PC)

Andy298 10-04-2008 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 34525446)
It is not that is not possible (my dad has a router on a Virgin STB broadband connection). The problem comes with the way the STB broadband works

As the STB broadband locks to the MAC address of the NIC in whatever is connected to it, everytime you change the equipment you have to re-register it to the STB with the PID number and password which gets a bit fiddly (unless you clone the MAC address of the PC)

Ah right ok I see. So how do I go about re-registering a new MAC address to the STB? Sorry for the dumb question, just never messed about with BB that is through a STB.

Suppose I could just clone it also like you say. But would be useful to know the other way too.

BenMcr 10-04-2008 22:42

What usually works is:
  • Turn everything off
  • Hook up Router to STB
  • Hook up PC to router using a wired connection
  • Turn STB on and wait for the online light
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on
  • In a web browser go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions, entering the 10 digit PID when requested and using 1234 as the password
  • Turn everything off AGAIN when it tells you to
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on

Once you can connect to the net, you should be able to set up the wireless connection as per the router instructions

damien c 11-04-2008 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 34525471)
What usually works is:
  • Turn everything off
  • Hook up Router to STB
  • Hook up PC to router using a wired connection
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on
  • In a web browser go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions, entering the 10 digit PID when requested and using 1234 as the password
  • Turn everything off AGAIN when it tells you to
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on

Once you can connect to the net, you should be able to set up the wireless connection as per the router instructions

Doing it this way he shouldn't have to use the pid number as i have never had to in the past when using, a stb or modem and i've done loads of router jobs for virgin customers.

Try it as above but don't go straight to the start.html page go to say google or something and see if it loads that.
Then if it does just log in to the router via firefox or IE dependent on which you use, then just config the wireless settings.
If i remember right for belkin and most routers the ip to get access to the router, in that manner is 192.168.0.1 then if it asks for a username and password they are usually root and root or something along those lines.
But you can use a router with a stb the, only time i know off people struggling is when they had a pace box, and on the back above the ethernet port it said
x-over, required so they just needed a crossover adapter or cable and it then worked fine.

poddy 13-04-2008 05:49

Don't do it ...!!

Thats what i'd suggest ! I had a dynomode router set up via a STB and had nothing but trouble with it.

In the end they had to send me a seperate modem (the quality it 5X better now too)

Every time I opened IE I had to register with my PID etc. Apparantly the STB kept reverting my IP to the 192. set.

OldGeezer 13-04-2008 10:45

I'd advocate cloning the PC's MAC address for the router - it's what I do.
That way there's no registering required, and you can switch between the router and a direct PC connection to the STB without having to reboot the STB (can be useful for diagnostics).