Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Superhub Modem Mode Alternate (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705042)

r94yan 25-06-2017 16:16

Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

I currently have the SH2 in Modem mode as i have my own far superior router, my question is can we replace the SH as a modem? It is very bulky and the power cable is rather large.

Any alternative? or does the internet have to run through the VM SH?

RobboEdin 25-06-2017 16:50

Re: Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

Simple answer is no - you must have a Virgin Media Superhub.

r94yan 20-08-2017 15:23

Surely there must be a way? The superhub has such a large plug, and thr actual hub is quite large too.

arcimedes 20-08-2017 15:52

It could be worse as at least it does provide modem mode.

gunner45 20-08-2017 15:55

In the old days, Telewest supplied the Motorola SurfBoard 4100 modem and then some from Scientific Atlanta such as the DPX110. If you wanted WiFi, you had to install your own wireless router.

These days only the hubs are supplied by VM. It would make sense for those of us who run the hubs in modem mode to be able to get only modems, but I'm not aware that VM is thinking along those lines.

heero_yuy 20-08-2017 16:22

I'm afraid you're stuck with the big clunky kit. Put it in modem mode and if you really hate it you could put it under the floor? :D

gunner45 20-08-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35913428)
I'm afraid you're stuck with the big clunky kit. Put it in modem mode and if you really hate it you could put it under the floor? :D

Which is precisely what I've done, with the flashing lights pointing away from me.

mike86 20-08-2017 18:48

Mine's behind the sofa where I can't see it

Ignitionnet 21-08-2017 08:47

Unfortunately the vast majority of VM's customer base, alongside indeed the other big ISPs, want a gateway, so combined modem router, and that suits them just fine.

It also reduces the support overhead for the ISP as they can support up to that device and past there is someone else's problem.

It's possible to use alternative devices but is against the terms of service, involves disassembling the existing hub and attacking it with a soldering iron, and is generally not recommended.

TL;DR No.

Kushan 21-08-2017 10:14

The support issue is one huge reason why you'll never see custom Cable modems, security is another. By allowing your own CPE on the network, it opens up Virgin to all kinds of abuse, account sharing and that kind of deal. I don't know if the situation has improved, but it used to be you could pull the modem details from one modem and clone it onto another - as long as they weren't on the same UBR, you could "share" the account quite easily and it was difficult to crack down on. I believe since DOCSIS3 came along it's been less of an issue, but just goes to show how easily such a thing could be abused.

It'll never happen, just be glad they offer a modem mode.

The day Virgin removes modem mode is the day I seriously consider switching to FTTC.

JordanTheToaster 21-08-2017 11:38

Still don't understand how this isn't a problem for Americans but here its a thing you can't do.

Sephiroth 21-08-2017 12:27

I believe that consumer law in the USA is the factor there. Whether or not that has ever introduced the abuse that Kush mentioned, I can't say.

Kushan 21-08-2017 12:31

I think the difference is the network in the UK is (was?) a lot less secure. AS I said, being able to plug a cloned modem in and for it to "just work" was something that DOCSIS 1.1 fixed, but VM (NTL/TW) didn't seem to implement those best practices until relatively recently - if at all.

JordanTheToaster 21-08-2017 12:57

That's rather silly but it is Virgin after all still a shame you can't but I understand why now.

Skie 21-08-2017 14:03

We dont need to implement security for 3rd party devices because we dont allow 3rd party devices to be connected!

So many poor decisions get made security wise because of naive stances like that.