Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

1andrew1 05-05-2017 10:28

Re: Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35897588)
I thunk things are getting a little antagonistic on both sides at the moment. Surely the correct response to a proposed €100bn bill would be 'show me your working and we'll talk', not just 'no'. And vice versa, it shows a degree of naivety to think that dropping such a figure would go down well

The €100bn figure really helped floor Le Pen in the recent debate she had with Macron. She was unable to answer the question he raised about how much a French exit from the EU and Eurozone would cost if the British one cost €80bn for just leaving the EU let alone the Eurozone!

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35897581)
Whatever the figure, people are now realising that Brexit is going to affect their own finances significantly. We've already seen the early affects, inflation, weak pound, stagnating wages. It's Brexiters that are the ones who seem to be 'angry' atm, despite having 'won'. Maybe they are only just realising the consequences.

If things continue to get tighter, they're already rehearsing their lines. Expect to hear:
- The corrupt elitist EU's is punishing us for wanting our sovereignty back. That's why we need to have nothing to do with the sinking ship.
- Everyone should have voted Conservative to give Theresa the authority she needs. It's those traitors who voted for the roll-over Labour and Lib Dem parties who lost us the negotiations, not the crack SAS team of David Davis et al.
- It's a very small price for the next generation to pay so that they're not part of the United States of Europe dominated by the new EU member state of Turkey.
- Get over it remoaners. If you're so unhappy here, why not move to your beloved Brussels?
- We always said it wouldn't be pain free. This is just a temporary ten-year adjustment hiccup.
- These higher prices/lower growth/shops closing down would have happened anyway.
:D

OLD BOY 05-05-2017 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35897604)
I'd give them Farage, Ant and/or Dec, Phil Collins, Jim Davison, Jimmy Tarbuck, Piers Morgan, Jeremy Hunt and Katie Hopkins. It'd be a win/win and almost make Brexit worth it :)

That's the first positive thing you've said in this thread!

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35897611)
The €100bn figure really helped floor Le Pen in the recent debate she had with Macron. She was unable to answer the question he raised about how much a French exit from the EU and Eurozone would cost if the British one cost €80bn for just leaving the EU let alone the Eurozone!

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

If things continue to get tighter, they're already rehearsing their lines. Expect to hear:
- The corrupt elitist EU's is punishing us for wanting our sovereignty back. That's why we need to have nothing to do with the sinking ship.
- Everyone should have voted Conservative to give Theresa the authority she needs. It's those traitors who voted for the roll-over Labour and Lib Dem parties who lost us the negotiations, not the crack SAS team of David Davis et al.
- It's a very small price for the next generation to pay so that they're not part of the United States of Europe dominated by the new EU member state of Turkey.
- Get over it remoaners. If you're so unhappy here, why not move to your beloved Brussels?
- We always said it wouldn't be pain free. This is just a temporary ten-year adjustment hiccup.
- These higher prices/lower growth/shops closing down would have happened anyway.

The British economy is doing pretty well, despite the pure negativity of remoaners.

As for the €100bn , I have yet to hear anyone justify that stupid figure. If the EU negotiators continue to press for that, we should say we are expecting the €100bn to be offset by our claim against them for €200bn.

Maybe then we can start to get real and discuss actuals.

papa smurf 05-05-2017 11:05

'You own NOTHING' Brussels insists net payer Britain has 'no right' to share of EU assets

if we have no assets in this divorce then we have no liability to pay anything

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...russels-assets

tweetiepooh 05-05-2017 11:09

Don't forget who is running the negotiations. Who benefits? Follow the money.

Lawyers/"civil" servants/politcos who are being paid while the negotiations go on will want to draw it out, make it as complex and conflicting as possible. The more they can get in the more they can make out of it, on both sides. Even betting someone is going to be paid a percentage of any final deal value so will do their best to increase the amount regardless.

Ramrod 05-05-2017 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35897581)
Whatever the figure, people are now realising that Brexit is going to affect their own finances significantly.

When I was campaigning for Leave, I always said that it could affect our finances. That was always on the cards. We will see if it does. :shrug:

passingbat 05-05-2017 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35897611)

Wow, I can read between the lines Andrew; I can just tell... you're so close to becoming a Leave supporter ;):D

Osem 05-05-2017 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35897628)
When I was campaigning for Leave, I always said that it could affect our finances. That was always on the cards. We will see if it does. :shrug:

... and of course there's no cost or threat to the UK's finances (or anything else) of staying in the EU is there. No evidence at all. No evidence of mass unemployment in Spain and Greece or massive banking problems in Italy. No massive migration crisis undermining all that EU unity we're missing out on. No rogue states erecting fences and ignoring EU immigration diktats. No rise of extreme right wing politics. Nope, it's all good news over there and bad news over here and that's today's news from cloud cuckoo land...

Ramrod 05-05-2017 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35897605)
And it gets the rabid Brexiteers in a tizzy, leading them to over the top hyperbole,

Remainers know all about over the top hyperbole: link ;)

Osem 05-05-2017 12:08

Ahh yes, the old World War 3 phase of project fear. That was good.

Ramrod 05-05-2017 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35897640)
Ahh yes, the old World War 3 phase of project fear. That was good.

Wasn't it? That's when I realised just how desperate Remain was :D

Osem 05-05-2017 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35897641)
Wasn't it? That's when I realised just how desperate Remain was :D

Yes, well the threat of economic meltdown, emergency budgets and imminent tax rises didn't do the trick so they needed the prospect of global armageddon to get us to see their version of sense you see... :D

Hugh 05-05-2017 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35897600)
it goes down well with the sell outs they would give the EU any thing it wants ,money /sovereignty/ kidney /first born child no price is too high to sell out the UK .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35897605)
And it gets the rabid Brexiteers in a tizzy, leading them to over the top hyperbole, offering to sacrifice their first born child* in the pursuit of purity of purpose and a rock-hard Brexit....

*tbf, it's usually someone else's first born child... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35897638)
Remainers know all about over the top hyperbole: link ;)

I was referring to bluey's post....;)

Ramrod 05-05-2017 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35897662)
I was referring to bluey's post....;)

I know that you were. My post was meant to illustrate how Remain were way ahead of Leave when it comes to over the top hyperbole :D

jonbxx 05-05-2017 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35897675)
I know that you were. My post was meant to illustrate how Remain were way ahead of Leave when it comes to over the top hyperbole :D

Has Turkey joined the EU yet?

Mr K 05-05-2017 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35897675)

err I really hate to mention it again (!) but leavers did every day of the campaign -- £350million a week for the NHS -- you don't get much bigger hyperbole/outright lies than that.