Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Commonwealth games a shambles? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33669868)

Cobbydaler 21-09-2010 21:00

Commonwealth games a shambles?

Three British athletes pull out of the Dehli games.

Link

Lots of concerns:
Quote:

Scottish officials found their original accommodation to be "unsafe and unfit for human habitation".
Delegates who visited the tower blocks where athletes will live during the Games had described them as filthy, with rubble lying in doorways, dogs inside the buildings, toilets not working and excrement "in places it shouldn't be".
New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie has suggested the Games might even have to be cancelled.
To add to the concerns, an elevated walkway at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed on Tuesday, injuring 23 construction workers, five seriously.
Not looking good...

Paul K 21-09-2010 21:20

Re: Commonwealth games a shambles?

Shoddy building standards, shoddy workmanship, money being siphoned off in backhanders and NOW the Indian government steps in? Erm starting work more than 12 months ago would have helped and actually getting some of the building built, checked and passed off with more than 12 days notice would have been a bonus.
It's making London 2012 look almost professionally handled!!

LondonRoad 21-09-2010 21:48

Athletes are too mollycoddled nowadays.

Alf Tupper would have went over the day before the games started, finished building the village and stadium, cleaned them up, saved the life of a local Indian Princess by rescuing her from stereotypical nasty native types, had to run 5 mile to the stadium to make the start of his race (stopping only for the obligatory fish supper from the only decent fish and chip shop in India).. and still win the Gold Medal. No lottery grants required either. :D

Hom3r 21-09-2010 21:57

All the premuim works must be overseas or call centres :D

Derek 22-09-2010 07:20

Filthy living conditions in a third world country that's not suitable for humans to live in?

Are they talking about India or the East end of Glasgow for 2014? :D

LondonRoad 22-09-2010 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35095918)
Filthy living conditions in a third world country that's not suitable for humans to live in?

Are they talking about India or the East end of Glasgow for 2014? :D

I cycle past the site of the stadium in Glasgow each morning. No footpaths have fallen on my head yet.

Having said that, I don't think there are any bridges. I tend to keep my eyes on the road watching out for the many potholes, the depth of which would be the envy of most 3rd world countries. :(

I don't understand why they're holding the diving competition in Embra. I'm sure when some of the potholes fill with rain there is a sufficient landing area for competition. A bit of scaffolding and a plank of wood, and voila, Parkhead's own diving centre.

Kymmy 22-09-2010 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35095821)
Athletes are too mollycoddled nowadays.

Alf Tupper would have went over the day before the games started, finished building the village and stadium, cleaned them up, saved the life of a local Indian Princess by rescuing her from stereotypical nasty native types, had to run 5 mile to the stadium to make the start of his race (stopping only for the obligatory fish supper from the only decent fish and chip shop in India).. and still win the Gold Medal. No lottery grants required either. :D

And don;t forget that if he was in India then that bridge would have been welded correctly :) My father was a welder so Alf Tupper was his hero :D

LondonRoad 22-09-2010 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35095960)
And don;t forget that if he was in India then that bridge would have been welded correctly :) My father was a welder so Alf Tupper was his hero :D

Oh yes. He'd have done that on the night shift, before the big race.:)

Kymmy 22-09-2010 09:53

Oh come on, he would have finished it 5 minutes into the race then still won :D

Chris 22-09-2010 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35095937)
I cycle past the site of the stadium in Glasgow each morning. No footpaths have fallen on my head yet.

Having said that, I don't think there are any bridges. I tend to keep my eyes on the road watching out for the many potholes, the depth of which would be the envy of most 3rd world countries. :(

I don't understand why they're holding the diving competition in Embra. I'm sure when some of the potholes fill with rain there is a sufficient landing area for competition. A bit of scaffolding and a plank of wood, and voila, Parkhead's own diving centre.

Glasgow does have form when it comes to dodgy bridge construction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7188577.stm

;)

martyh 22-09-2010 17:37

Quote:

The Commonwealth Games have been thrown into more chaos after a ceiling fell in at the weightlifting arena in India - a day after a bridge collapsed.
link

seems a tad worrying

sir_drinks_alot 22-09-2010 21:55

it will all be over in 48 hours

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010...risis-48-hours

Damien 26-09-2010 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 35095798)
Shoddy building standards, shoddy workmanship, money being siphoned off in backhanders and NOW the Indian government steps in? Erm starting work more than 12 months ago would have helped and actually getting some of the building built, checked and passed off with more than 12 days notice would have been a bonus.
It's making London 2012 look almost professionally handled!!

Other than the mistake over how much it would cost I was under the impression 2012 was going quite well. The building seems to be ahead of schedule, they have started looking for people, new trains are starting to be rolled out on the tube and, partly because of Team GB's success in 2008, people seem excited by the games.

Hom3r 26-09-2010 22:14

Personally if I was an athlete I would NOT go. Even though It is a privilege to represent your country, the health risks are not worth the risk.