Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705434)

BenMcr 25-09-2017 20:17

Re: Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs

That's gender identity which is not actually anything to do with sexuality.

Osem 25-09-2017 20:22

Re: Tory free schools policy results in girls as young as four forced to wear hijabs

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35917963)
That's gender identity which is not actually anything to do with sexuality.

I wasn't suggesting that 3 year olds are demanding sex change operations. It was a just a loose reference to 'sex' in the sense of them identifying with a different one as per the article. Hence boys wanting to wear dresses in school.

1andrew1 25-09-2017 22:29

Someone posted earlier wanting to understand the link to the current policy on academies and faith schools.
The Government is
1) "continuing to encourage primary and secondary schools to become academies"
2) Some academies - generally underperforming schools that have converted - will have a sponsor. Sponsors come from a wide range of backgrounds including successful schools, businesses, universities, charities and faith bodies."
This continues the policy of the last Government and the Conservative-led coalition.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-free-schools

BenMcr 25-09-2017 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35917965)
I wasn't suggesting that 3 year olds are demanding sex change operations. It was a just a loose reference to 'sex' in the sense of them identifying with a different one as per the article. Hence boys wanting to wear dresses in school.

Fair enough.

The reason I wanted to make the distinction is that the aim of the covering of the body in Islam is protect your modesty:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi.../hijab_1.shtml

As far as my understanding goes, that only applies to women (and technically men too) old enough to marry.

So whatever you think of the overall principle or the interpretation of what adults should wear, saying that children need to be modest is where the problem comes. Making them wear the hijab implies when uncovered they are immodest.

pip08456 26-09-2017 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35917988)
Someone posted earlier wanting to understand the link to the current policy on academies and faith schools.
The Government is
1) "continuing to encourage primary and secondary schools to become academies"
2) Some academies - generally underperforming schools that have converted - will have a sponsor. Sponsors come from a wide range of backgrounds including successful schools, businesses, universities, charities and faith bodies."
This continues the policy of the last Government and the Conservative-led coalition.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-free-schools

Hello Andrew, guess who? Yes I'm the uneducated brexiteer who asked for a link to what you stated was tory party policy and as usual you came up trumps with a link that states nothing of the sort.

Just to refresh your memory here's the post of yours I replied to asking for the link

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35917834)
Tory party policy is to encourage and state-fund religious schools in preference to council-run schools. Preferably with light-touch, red-tape-free regulation, And this, as the article explains, is one of the consequences.
You don't need to change extremists' views. Just don't hand over tax-payers' money to them.

Now, I'm either more uneducated than I thought or there is no mention of religion anywhere in the link you have supplied which also (my brain's starting to hurt with all this thinking:)) refers to Tory/Lib-Dem coalition policy on more freedom of education.

Would you like to try again?

Paul 26-09-2017 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35917955)
Little thing like the sexualisation of 4 year olds :shrug:

WTF has this got to do with "sexualisation of 4 year olds" :confused:

1andrew1 26-09-2017 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35917998)
Now, I'm either more uneducated than I thought or there is no mention of religion anywhere in the link you have supplied which also (my brain's starting to hurt with all this thinking:)) refers to Tory/Lib-Dem coalition policy on more freedom of education.

Would you like to try again?

Firstly, I don't have an opinion on your education, I'm concerned with raising the debate on the involvement of religious organisations with education.
Secondly, point 2) quoted "faith bodies" from an official Government site. This was the policy of the Tory-led coalition and has been maintained by the current Tory government.

pip08456 26-09-2017 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35918101)
Firstly, I don't have an opinion on your education, I'm concerned with raising the debate on the involvement of religious organisations with education.
Secondly, point 2) quoted "faith bodies" from an official Government site. This was the policy of the Tory-led coalition and has been maintained by the current Tory government.

State funding of Faith schools was not implemented by either the Tories or the Tory/Lib Dem coalition.

Quote:

Until 1997, the UK funded only Christian or Jewish faith schools (Muslim schools existed but were privately funded), but the 1997–2007 Labour Government expanded this to other religions, and began using the term "faith school"

1andrew1 26-09-2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918105)
State funding of Faith schools was not implemented by either the Tories or the Tory/Lib Dem coalition.

Agreed but the Conservatives have significantly encouraged non-council schools through funding and enabled council schools to convert to faith schools. I appreciate that this was done with the best of intentions but it has resulted in unintended consequences as I have illustrated with the Evening Standard article.
I'm not against any particular religion, but I think that inadequate regulation has let extremism in and that funding of religious schools should be debated more robustly. All schools should seek to integrate children into society and to understand the country's values.

TheDaddy 27-09-2017 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35918095)
WTF has this got to do with "sexualisation of 4 year olds" :confused:

WTF do you think Muslim women cover up then, perhaps this will help with your confusion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...irl-aged-four/

pip08456 27-09-2017 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35918106)
Agreed but the Conservatives have significantly encouraged non-council schools through funding and enabled council schools to convert to faith schools. I appreciate that this was done with the best of intentions but it has resulted in unintended consequences as I have illustrated with the Evening Standard article.
I'm not against any particular religion, but I think that inadequate regulation has let extremism in and that funding of religious schools should be debated more robustly. All schools should seek to integrate children into society and to understand the country's values.

At least we can agree on something.;)

1andrew1 27-09-2017 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35918132)
At least we can agree on something.;)

Yay! :)

Gary L 27-09-2017 23:12

There's a school by me and the parents dressed in normal clothes. mum would even show off her figure and wear tight leather trousers and high heels. dad would wear fashionable jeans and T-shirts.
the three girls would wear girlie clothes.

one day all of a sudden. after a good 2 years of this. mum dressed Muslim and hid her face. dad grew the typical Muslim beard and dark sunglasses?. and the three girls started wearing typical Muslim clothes.

I thought to myself who's had a word with them.

Mr K 28-09-2017 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35918241)
There's a school by me and the parents dressed in normal clothes. mum would even show off her figure and wear tight leather trousers and high heels. dad would wear fashionable jeans and T-shirts.
the three girls would wear girlie clothes.

one day all of a sudden. after a good 2 years of this. mum dressed Muslim and hid her face. dad grew the typical Muslim beard and dark sunglasses?. and the three girls started wearing typical Muslim clothes.

I thought to myself who's had a word with them.

Or maybe it was a completely different family and it's time for specs (e.g a Mum who has a wonderful figure after 3 kids? ;) )

Gary L 28-09-2017 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35918265)
Or maybe it was a completely different family and it's time for specs (e.g a Mum who has a wonderful figure after 3 kids? ;) )

It's definitely her. she still calls me Big Boy when she pops in for 2 minutes Tuesdays and Wednesdays :)

Nah seriously.... :erm:
it's the same family. they just changed overnight.
and she doesn't call me Big Boy. she calls me Mr Gary.