Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN may lose EPL Football(Update) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688236)

HDFootyMan 12-06-2012 18:57

ESPN may lose EPL Football(Update)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...?newsfeed=true

Looks like al-Jazeera have put in a serious bid to force a 2nd round of bidding - the results will be released tomorrow or Thursday.

No one knows yet if al-Jazeera have targeted Sky's games, or ESPN's. What is known is al-Jazeera have the money to blow both of their rivals out of the water if they wished:
Quote:

"The sense is there is a new bidder out there with a potentially serious offer and everyone thinks it is al-Jazeera, although no one can be 100%," said one industry source. "The question is how many packages they are targeting, meaning Sky or ESPN."
If ESPN lost their single package than that would be big blow for VM's XL pack and for ESPN - could they still charge money for a non-EPL sports channel?

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Way Hey! 1300 posts not out!

Raises bat, milks applause. :p:

Telly_ 12-06-2012 19:11

Re: ESPN may lose EPL Football

I've been reading a lot about this but its hard to get fact from fiction,some are saying ESPN may have to pay so much for EPL they will have to drop the current deal with VM.

Others are saying they are tied into the VM deal for while, then some are saying AJ have not actually put in a bid, On digitalspy there is a user called MT11 I think is the name but he seems to have a lot of insider info, go look him up. What is a fact is Sky currently pay around £500 million for there rights.

They could afford to double it but they would need to add around £4 a month per SkySports subscriber. AJ have money but not to throw at EPL as Sky have a current 7million subscribers plus 1 million from VM/BT ect. AJ do not have this so I doubt they would offer much more than Sky.

HDFootyMan 12-06-2012 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly Bear (Post 35440382)
I've been reading a lot about this but its hard to get fact from fiction,some are saying ESPN may have to pay so much for EPL they will have to drop the current deal with VM.

Others are saying they are tied into the VM deal for while, then some are saying AJ have not actually put in a bid, On digitalspy there is a user called MT11 I think is the name but he seems to have a lot of insider info, go look him up.

Been reading his posts. :)

If AJ did win then VM would have to have 'talks' with them (hopefully there would be more progress there then VM have made with AJ News). Ditto ESPN if they won more than 1 package.

No sane reason why ESPN would drop the deal with VM, they'll need all the viewers they can get, especially if they decided to carry on in the UK without EPL (and become a basic channel like EuroSport).

AJ are backed by the State of Qatar. Suffice to say that money isn't a issue for them, it depends how much they want a foothold in the UK market. They've already done it in France and the US, where they look like taking on the Fox Soccer Channels.

thenry 12-06-2012 19:26

HD?

could we see Al-Jazeera and ITV partner up as they are now leaving ESPN to somewhat partner Sky?

Telly_ 12-06-2012 19:36

I'm get peed off with all the "I hope Sky lose the epl" or "I hope ESPN lose the EPL"

I just wan to know who has the EPL, how much is it and where do I pay lol.I couldn't careless even if Setanta win all packs.:D:D I just want to know where I can watch it.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35440385)
Been reading his posts. :)

If AJ did win then VM would have to have 'talks' with them (hopefully there would be more progress there then VM have made with AJ News). Ditto ESPN if they won more than 1 package.

No sane reason why ESPN would drop the deal with VM, they'll need all the viewers they can get, especially if they decided to carry on in the UK without EPL (and become a basic channel like EuroSport).

AJ are backed by the State of Qatar. Suffice to say that money isn't a issue for them, it depends how much they want a foothold in the UK market. They've already done it in France and the US, where they look like taking on the Fox Soccer Channels.

I know who owns AJ but if you're talking about paying 700,800 million even a billion £'s for EPL I can't see it. Because then you need to set up studios, get presenters, Sky will pull all there cameras etc. You are also setting a up a situation where in the following seasons auctions Sky/ESPN will come back with even higher bids.

No matter who your backers are you still need to make money.

HDFootyMan 12-06-2012 19:37

I'll PMSL if the mysterious bidder was......VM! :shocked:

"You thought we weren't interested in content didn't you??!? MUHAHAHAHA! Get ready for Virgin Sports HD, baby!" :D:D:D

Oh well, a cable customer can dream. ;)

thenry 12-06-2012 19:38

I just read on digispy (cheers tellybear) that Al Jazeera in France costs next to nothing compared to Sky over here. Would their rights in France carry on here so we get live matches of Ligue 1?

I really hope theirs a revamp here. Skys coverage in all probably is next to none but dictatorship isn't appealing. Bring in Al Jazeera to mix it up, keep everyone on their tippy toes.

For once I bet VM have their feet up just watching on ;)

HDFootyMan 12-06-2012 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly Bear (Post 35440391)
I know who owns AJ but if you're talking about paying 700,800 million even a billion £'s for EPL I can't see it. Because then you need to set up studios, get presenters, Sky will pull all there cameras etc.

They wouldn't have to set up studios, they use ITVs now for their EPL coverage which is shown in the Middle East. They already have the presenters and the studios.

Likewise, most of ESPN's early setup was done by Sky.

thenry 12-06-2012 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35440394)

"You thought we weren't interested in content didn't you??!? MUHAHAHAHA! Get ready for Virgin Sports HD, baby!" :D:D:D

:LOL: I think you'll find it'll be called Virgin Media SuperSports ;)

Telly_ 12-06-2012 19:53

Infact doing more reading it appears BskyB and AJ are partners in some middle east countries and have a close relationship, Maybe ESPN will be the loser here.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35440394)

More likely they will put in a bid for £7.50 and moan the EPL were with holding content and demanding restrictive fee's for access to the football pmsl:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Do Virignmedia carry and AJ channels? I know Sky do????

HDFootyMan 12-06-2012 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly Bear (Post 35440399)
More likely they will put in a bid for £7.50 and moan the EPL were with holding content and demanding restrictive fee's for access to the football pmsl:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

:D:D

If they did do a deal with AJ Sports, VM would have to get AJ News then, surely? Even as a 'bonus' channel! VM's News channel lineup isn't great.

There is a package of 12 games......if not VM then perhaps ITV could make a cheeky bid?

Media Boy UK 12-06-2012 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDFootyMan (Post 35440378)
If ESPN lost their single package than that would be big blow for VM's XL pack and for ESPN - could they still charge money for a non-EPL sports channel?

I think Virgin Media only sign ESPN up to the XL Package for 4 years when Setanta Sports UK dies in 2009 so if I am right ESPN is up in the summer of 2013 just at the time when the EPL Football deals are up.

Gavin-D 12-06-2012 20:13

If al-Jazeera have submitted a bid then Sky will be getting worried now with al-Jazeera not short of cash they will be able to make a bid higher than Sky with no problem.

If al-Jazeera do win some games than I wouldn't be suprised to see Gary Lineker as the lead presenter.

Telly_ 12-06-2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35440395)
I just read on digispy (cheers tellybear) that Al Jazeera in France costs next to nothing compared to Sky over here. Would their rights in France carry on here so we get live matches of Ligue 1?

I really hope theirs a revamp here. Skys coverage in all probably is next to none but dictatorship isn't appealing. Bring in Al Jazeera to mix it up, keep everyone on their tippy toes.

For once I bet VM have their feet up just watching on ;)

Who ever wins the rights us as customers really need not worry, Sky and VM will ensure they carry a EPL in some form from 2013 so its a none issue from that point of view.

But what is an issue if just who many place will we have to buy or football from? AJ/ESPN/SKY?? Its only going to end up costing us more..:mad:.

I know a lot around here hate Sky but without it we would be paying more for less believe it or not. If Skylose the rights to EPL they also save £500 million+ for other things, then make AJ pay to be on the EPG.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35440409)
If al-Jazeera have submitted a bid then Sky will be getting worried now with al-Jazeera not short of cash they will be able to make a bid higher than Sky with no problem.

If al-Jazeera do win some games than I wouldn't be suprised to see Gary Lineker as the lead presenter.

Well Lineker is already employed by AJ for their football, I just hope if they do win they aren't expensive as I won't be canceling Sky sports as I would lose too many other sports. I do love watching football but my pocket has a limit and its currently at that limit.

denphone 12-06-2012 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly Bear (Post 35440412)
I know a lot around here hate Sky but without it we would be paying more for less believe it or not. If Skylose the rights to EPL they also save £500 million+ for other things, then make AJ pay to be on the EPG

Utter tosh again as most of us have never been Sky haters and frankly yours arguments are becoming very Ad nauseam and full of hyperbole.:(