Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Are charities a business? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33700129)

Gary L 16-02-2015 14:53

Are charities a business?

Are some conning us?
are some taking big cuts for themselves?
are people suffering needlessly when charities that are supposed to be there to cancel the suffering, have millions of pounds in charity money in their bank accounts but they're not using it for the reason it's meant for?

rhyds 16-02-2015 15:13

Re: Are charities a business?

I'd say most charities have had to "professionalise" over the last 10-15 years, as government funding and funding in general becomes more of a challenge, However, I do still think the vast majority of charities are there to do charitable work.

There are of course a few who are basically tax dodges, and some that may prioritise spending differently to how you'd expect, but at the end of the day if you're generating profits for shareholders, you're not a charity.

TheDaddy 16-02-2015 15:26

Biggest tax scam around is charitable foundations.

Big charities have CEO's on pay scales similar to corporations

Charity shops are no longer somewhere to go for something cheap, the only difference between them and normal shops is their rent is cheaper and the staff work for free

Appeals for disasters adverts appear on the TV as an emergency as people are dying despite the charities sitting on millions of pounds, use that, oh no you can't because it's set aside for future project and fundraising etc. Make no mistake charity is big business these days imo

Gary L 16-02-2015 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35759669)
Appeals for disasters adverts appear on the TV as an emergency as people are dying despite the charities sitting on millions of pounds, use that, oh no you can't because it's set aside for future project and fundraising etc. Make no mistake charity is big business these days imo

That's how I see it.
it's like the RSPCA started out with £1 say.
people donated money to look after animals. and the money is there to treat the animals. that's what the donating people want it to be used for.

but they have millions of pounds of that very money sitting in their bank. and telling people that they have to pay for treatment.

use the money that you have in the bank that was once only £1?
no. that's not what it's there for.

same with "disasters and people dying"
they're going to die as from today if we don't donate.
even though they have millions of pounds of the very same money they asked for sitting in their bank accounts.

a true business. not really the true definition of a charity.
somebody will say you should expect to pay something in the case of the RSPCA.
but what if those millions of donators gave that money for that very reason?
so that people didn't have to pay. and the animal above all comes first?

Taf 16-02-2015 16:01

Over the years I have approached several charities for help or advice for our disabled twins. The standard answer boils down to "We raise money, we don't give out information or help".

One charity said they could not give me any information as their boss was "on an extended holiday and wouldn't be back for a few more months".

So for this household, charity begins at home.

rhyds 16-02-2015 16:42

The thing that gets me is the "subcontracting" that goes on regarding collecting donations. I work for a charity (a reasonably large one, but Wales only) and we don't sub out donations (I think the only place where we have to pay a fee is via JustGiving or similar). I also donate to charities locally where I know the good cause and support it (for example the local Orthopaedic Hospital).

What I don't do is give on the doorstep to people who have clearly been sent on a "round" knocking on doors for a subcontracted company. The most recent example was someone collecting for Tenovous. A pleasant young lady with a Tenovous vest knocks on the door and starts offering the usual script. I kindly point out that there's a tenovous shop on the high street in town five miles away and that I always donate through that.

It must be a total coincidence that all of these "collectors" seem to be about student age and have Mancunian accents (I live in North Wales) and seem to turn up about 10 mins after the bus has been...

fatmat8 16-02-2015 16:51

of course they need your to fund their offices etc.

Damien 16-02-2015 21:31

If a charity immediately gave away all the money that had been donated it would fold pretty quickly. They do need to be set up to deal with soliciting more donations, managing the money and managing the logistics of getting that money to where it would be needed. Medical charities need to investigate which research is worthy of funding for example. Red Cross and Oxfam often have to work in complicated places to access and work. All of them need to ensure they keep getting funding to carry on doing what they do and that also costs money.

Yes the Red Cross could empty it's bank accounts at the next crisis but then they won't be around to help the next time. Staff, equipment, travel, medicines, offices, and the ability to process future donations don't come free.

Listen to a interview with Bill Gates about his charity. It is mostly his money and that of his wealthy backers but many times he has talked about the amount of effort, logistics and time that happens behind the scenes to make everything work.

Matth 16-02-2015 22:07

It does seem that there are some bad apples that are far more business than charity.

Cobbydaler 16-02-2015 22:30

Are there any links to which charities you're talking about & their bank balances, running expenses, CEO salaries etc?

TheDaddy 17-02-2015 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35759750)
If a charity immediately gave away all the money that had been donated it would fold pretty quickly. They do need to be set up to deal with soliciting more donations, managing the money and managing the logistics of getting that money to where it would be needed. Medical charities need to investigate which research is worthy of funding for example. Red Cross and Oxfam often have to work in complicated places to access and work. All of them need to ensure they keep getting funding to carry on doing what they do and that also costs money.

Yes the Red Cross could empty it's bank accounts at the next crisis but then they won't be around to help the next time. Staff, equipment, travel, medicines, offices, and the ability to process future donations don't come free.

Listen to a interview with Bill Gates about his charity. It is mostly his money and that of his wealthy backers but many times he has talked about the amount of effort, logistics and time that happens behind the scenes to make everything work.

Thank God you're here Damien or else we wouldn't have been able to work that out for ourselves and imo there's a big difference between international aid charities and a UK animal charity, what emergencies are they planning for? there's a big difference between having a few quid tucked away for emergencies and investing millions on the stock market, sometimes in dubious companies to say the least as well

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27607320

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35759766)
Are there any links to which charities you're talking about & their bank balances, running expenses, CEO salaries etc?

Loads of links, they're very transparent about it, seeing as we mentioned oxfam

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ts-24m-surplus

heero_yuy 17-02-2015 09:19

Well one certainly wants a corporate HQ:

Quote:

THE charity at the centre of the “cash for celebs” row has ploughed millions of pounds into a swanky new HQ.

Barnardo’s staff recently moved into the lavish glass-fronted, three-storey office in Barkingside, East London.

The building is on the land where the charity’s founder Dr Barnardo originally built a far more modest home for destitute children in the 1870s.

Barnardo’s said last night it was forced to build a new office because its old one was not “fit for purpose”.

A contractor who worked on the new office said: “The new office is amazing. Everything is top of the range and it cost between £10million and £12million.”

Paywall linky

tweetiepooh 17-02-2015 10:34

I know that way back TEAR fund (The Evangelical Alliance Relief Fund) operated by all monies to TEAR fund went to "where needed". The running of TEAR fund was by the Evangelical Alliance which was another charity.
Maybe other charities need to do similar if they don't already but then they may not get any funds to the "management fund".
Another issue charities can have is people donating for a specific cause that can't then be used elsewhere. I heard comments that Great Ormond Street had issues where some parent started to collect for a "scanner" and then that money couldn't be used to actually run the hospital. They had other such pots for capital projects but were in need of money for operational issues.

TheDaddy 15-05-2015 05:25

Something needs to be done about these behemoth money making machines, they're out of control

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-aged-92.html

Carlos Carboni 15-05-2015 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35759669)
Biggest tax scam around is charitable foundations.

Yeap, tax free money laundering operations. It's relatively easy to set up a charity; you become the CEO and your family/cronies members. Write some BS to justify the status, help people of "hardship" of some type or another

then companies/people donate to the charity instead of paying you/family/cronies. You spend the money and justify it as charity work.

How about setting up a wine charity, and organise wine parties in Central London or Surrey? Ooooooops, has been done to death, too many of those. Google "wine charity" ;) and for legal reasons I am not saying/implying that any one of those is doing something illegal.

papa smurf 15-05-2015 07:24

yes they are a business with rather well paid directors most of what is donated lines their pockets

Osem 15-05-2015 09:13

They certainly employ 'businesses' in order to do things like raising funds. Chuggers are worse than cold callers IMHO.

ianch99 15-05-2015 09:30

You can include charitable status private schools in this debate as well.

TheDaddy 18-05-2015 20:06

Calls for 'olive's law'

http://m.westerndailypress.co.uk/PM-...ail/story.html

Gary L 18-05-2015 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35778679)
Calls for 'olive's law'

when you think and know that in many cases of the constant hounding. it was just to get more money for themselves. and not the poor dying children and animals.

they obviously use the money on themselves.
most of them have millions in the bank.
and a lot of them are starting to overstep their mark lately.
to the extent that that a lot of them need sorting out and told to stop using sad piano music and puppy dogs eyes.

richard s 20-05-2015 19:29

Felt sad for the old lady who committed suicide from Bristol who was constantly hounded by charities for funds. Hang there heads in shame.

TheDaddy 01-06-2015 05:43

Another day another charity mugging story, it's okay though they're sorry, sorry they didn't get the cash, sorry for the bad publicity etc

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ldrens-5795365

TheDaddy 07-06-2015 08:05

The charities need to wake up, the public are becoming sick of them and their shoddy tactics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-UK-RSPCA.html

Taf 14-06-2015 10:47

Whilst not strictly a business, this shows what goes on all too often:

Quote:

Money to help the poorest communities in Wales is being spent on "shiny new offices" and staff instead of improving lives, the Conservatives have claimed.

It was revealed that one project in Merthyr Tydfil spent most of its £1.5m budget over three years on salaries.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-33108982

TheDaddy 10-07-2015 05:03

Charity boiler room tactics being investigated

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shop...ous-lists.html

heero_yuy 10-07-2015 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35787658)
Charity boiler room tactics being investigated

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shop...ous-lists.html

They've highlighted this a couple of times on R4's You and Yours consumer programme. Some very dodgy tactics like selling contributor lists to other charities and subcontracting cold calling to aggresive call centre staff.

Maggy 10-07-2015 11:12

There have been so many scams involving 'charities'..the one I really dislike are the clothes collection bags..I refuse to use them for discarded clothes.We just use them for rubbish bags instead.I prefer to go to one of the 5 charities in my local high street and donate my old clothes to them.Also I won't give to collectors outside supermarkets except the Poppy Appeal of course.Not all of them are legit.
As for the begging letters. I use my common sense and bin them.I also use an answer phone that nicely sorts out those annoying phone calls..they just hang up and move on.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Oh and the poll could do with an option of not all charities are business orientated..;)

TheDaddy 06-09-2015 23:22

All the right buzz words used, wonder how long it'll be before it's as if this never happened and they're doing the same crap as before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34168129

Taf 07-09-2015 12:28

Quote:

‘Save the Charities’ charity launched

A new charity has been launched to save British charities and ‘especially’ their Chief Executives from extinction. With many coming under increased pressure to ‘ask nicely’ for donations, instead of targeting known dementia sufferers and holding them upside down by their ankles while fleecing their bank accounts.

An STC spokesman said: ‘Donations are at an all time low just when charity boss expectations are rising. The skill set required to run a network of shambolic high street shops stuffed with goods donated for free and run by volunteers requires the abilities only found in persons who command salaries twice that of David Cameron’.

It is likely the new charity will need at least 18 months of aggressive cold-calling in order to fund a sparkling new HQ in central London, a fleet of Range Rovers and the accompanying ‘budget’ penthouse suite. ‘We’re looking to subcontract fundraising,’ said the spokesman, ‘and we’d like to hear from anyone with mafia links, a low ethical threshold and connections with the Royal Bank of Scotland’.
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2015/09/0...rity-launched/

TheDaddy 18-12-2015 06:47

It's a never ending story, imo they have lost sight of what charity should be about and are behaving as bad as any corporation

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-charitie...-wills-1533923

fatmat8 21-12-2015 19:27

my good lady asked me "what about the begging letters" my reply was "just keep sending them out"

rogerdraig 21-12-2015 20:58

you should add "are some businesses"

having run a charity that cost me money i can certainly say it wasn't though every one who we wanted grants off ( excluding children in need and comic relief ) wanted us to run more as a business, where as we were more concerned that the kids had a good time and safe place to learn and play.

what i would say is if you think a charity is making money for the people running it look at their accounts they are available if they are a charity

i saw a lot complaining about children in need and their reserves personally i would say they need bigger reserves than they currently have after a quick run through their accounts.

its easy to criticise but most of the people who do the hard work for charities do so at their own expense or for very little rumination.

if you can do better have a go and volunteer as someone who ran one for nearly ten years it is well worth it ( as long as the wife doesn't find how much you spent on it any way lol )

pip08456 21-12-2015 21:38

This is always going to be a contentiuos subject.

Consider a local Hospice, run as a charity that must spend the majority of donations on running costs etc. Yes they do get a certain amount form Government but the rest must be raised locally.

That is just 1 example of 1 charity where wages and running costs are neccessarily where the money is spent.

Notwithstanding the above I do think a lot of the National charities are run as a business where it would appear more is spent on administration than on where it is supposed to go.

I only support local community charities now. That's money well spent.

TheDaddy 30-03-2016 23:50

Might be Irish but I agree with the sentiments

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/go...-34562033.html

TheDaddy 30-06-2016 21:57

Public trust reaches an all time low. The reason, the media, not the foul little practices the media are reporting

http://fundraising.co.uk/2016/06/28/.../#.V3WGSXRwbqB

TheDaddy 10-07-2016 03:49

Another example of the poxy rspca thinking they're above the law

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ermission.html

pip08456 10-07-2016 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35849025)
Another example of the poxy rspca thinking they're above the law

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ermission.html

"An RSPCA spokesman said: ‘The court ordered the RSPCA to provide information about the whereabouts of the two remaining cats. This is being done.’

Not good enough, they should be returned.

TheDaddy 10-07-2016 05:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35849027)
"An RSPCA spokesman said: ‘The court ordered the RSPCA to provide information about the whereabouts of the two remaining cats. This is being done.’

Not good enough, they should be returned.

Returned alive if possible to please

rogerdraig 11-07-2016 22:03

i am not a fan of the RSPCA ( should be spaying for free and not putting well animals down ) but in this case I think they may be get the wrong end of the stick.

the sister handed them over and the RSPCA is not a pet sitting service . Did the lady have a plan in place for her pets to be looked after if she was ill it doesnt seem so . We as a family have things in place for looking after our pets and those of other family members just as we have for our kids. With out that I would rather the RSPCA found a place for them rather than the possibility of them being in kennels for months If there was no Family or friends to do it.

TheDaddy 12-07-2016 02:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerdraig (Post 35849391)
i am not a fan of the RSPCA ( should be spaying for free and not putting well animals down ) but in this case I think they may be get the wrong end of the stick.

the sister handed them over and the RSPCA is not a pet sitting service . Did the lady have a plan in place for her pets to be looked after if she was ill it doesnt seem so . We as a family have things in place for looking after our pets and those of other family members just as we have for our kids. With out that I would rather the RSPCA found a place for them rather than the possibility of them being in kennels for months If there was no Family or friends to do it.

Would you rather the rspca killed them if they couldn't find a place. Imo they're the worst charity around, there's only two I refused to work for out of all of them, rspca and rnib

rogerdraig 12-07-2016 17:41

that is a loaded question but i will try my best to answer as i said i think they should be spaying animals for free ( they get a lot of money ) and i don't agree with putting healthy animals down ( wouldn't be as many if they spayed more ;) )

However I wouldn't want my animals kept at a kennels indefinitely either i have seen ones after a year they are not happy our last three cats from them were ones who had been in the longest at the center near us.

Also though we have spent thousands over all on our animals on operations for various conditions we only did so if the vet said it was likely to give them a good chance at a good recovery to be active and happy i wouldn't want them saved just because you could.

But as i said we have in place though family and friends who would look after ours and vice versa for family animals, If this lady was so worried she should have had this too which might have been her sister and it was her sister who asked the RSPCA to help. Which as i said is not a pet sitting service.

TheDaddy 06-04-2017 06:04

WTF is this, how anyone thought this a good idea is beyond me

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...igators-snoop/

denphone 06-04-2017 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35893519)
WTF is this, how anyone thought this a good idea is beyond me

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...igators-snoop/

And me too TD.:(

heero_yuy 06-04-2017 08:43

It's the tip of a very rotten sector. Kelvin Mackenzie's column in my red top continues to expose charities for selling rip off deals to their donors on energy, insurance etc. whilst recieving bungs from big business for every rip off deal they sucker people into.

TheDaddy 04-07-2017 09:17

Is fining them a good idea, might be better to fine the actual people responsible rather than taking it from the funds people have donated, on the whole though anything than regulates them a tiny bit is to be welcomed imo

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...erence-service

Maggy 04-07-2017 11:13

Unfortunately it's not going to cover all those endless through the letterbox plastic bags for clothing donations, that I'm pretty sure most aren't from legit charities.

heero_yuy 04-07-2017 11:15

Free bin liners. What's there not to like? ;)

nashville 04-07-2017 15:04

Too much of the charity money goes to the top people's holidays etc, If you a raffle book for them, next time they send you two, then three, etc. they are never happy. No more for me I only give to Cancer research.