Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Close Season Football Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33665154)

TheDaddy 16-05-2010 07:20

Close Season Football Thread

Seeing as there is just the play of finals to go.

As well as Liverpool striker Fernando Torres, Spurs midfielder Luka Modric is one of Chelsea's summer transfer targets, giving the White Hart Lane club chairman Daniel Levy a major dilemma this summer after their Champions League qualification. Full story: Mail on Sunday

Meh, think I'd prefer Joe Cole to Modric

Could be some big players moving this window and if the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool get it wrong again they just might slip into Premier League obscurity for a long while.

Damien 16-05-2010 08:53

Re: Close Season Football Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35022614)

Could be some big players moving this window and if the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool get it wrong again they just might slip into Premier League obscurity for a long while.

As long as Arsenal don't lose players I reckon we will be ok. The team has improved over last year. Hopefully a new keeper and a couple of defenders (one first team, one backup) and a defensive midfielder will suit me!

Incidentally Arsenal didn't get much wrong, just not enough. Vermaelen was another excellent signing

TheDaddy 16-05-2010 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35022623)
As long as Arsenal don't lose players I reckon we will be ok. The team has improved over last year. Hopefully a new keeper and a couple of defenders (one first team, one backup) and a defensive midfielder will suit me!

Incidentally Arsenal didn't get much wrong, just not enough. Vermaelen was another excellent signing

Arsenal are going to lose players, Gallas at least and maybe Fabregas but I think they'll spend big at last.

Manchester City are planning to offer Liverpool £40m plus striker Emmanuel Adebayor and midfielder Stephen Ireland in exchange for Anfield stars Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.
Full story: News of the World

Hmm make it Tevez and Ireland....

SB_07 17-05-2010 22:25

Quote:

Sky Sports News understands Marouane Chamakh is in London putting the finishing touches to his proposed move to Arsenal.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...159930,00.html

Quote:

Skysports.com understands Manchester City have tabled a big money offer for Aston Villa winger James Milner.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...160294,00.html

TheDaddy 18-05-2010 06:32

Either way looks like they are going to sign one of the worlds best goalkeepers

The Gunners have had a £14m offer for Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina rejected, and manager Arsene Wenger could now turn his attentions to Juventus stopper Gianluigi Buffon.

Full story: Footylatest.com

Damien 18-05-2010 08:57

Aghh I don't want Buffon! Better than we currently have but mearly a stop gap. At his age he has 3 or 4 seasons left! Hugo Lloris would be an amazingly better choice, 23 and already one of the best keepers in the world. 10 years at least of his career! Joe Hart would be a good choice as well, albeit untested at the highest level (something we forget when hyping young British stars).

Surprised he went for Reina, shame he didn't get him as he is the best keeper in the Premiership at the moment.

TheDaddy 18-05-2010 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35023782)
Aghh I don't want Buffon! Better than we currently have but mearly a stop gap. At his age he has 3 or 4 seasons left! Hugo Lloris would be an amazingly better choice, 23 and already one of the best keepers in the world. 10 years at least of his career! Joe Hart would be a good choice as well, albeit untested at the highest level (something we forget when hyping young British stars).

Surprised he went for Reina, shame he didn't get him as he is the best keeper in the Premiership at the moment.

1017 BST: Arsenal will move for £12m-rated Lyon and France keeper Hugo Lloris, but could turn to Shakhtar Donetsk keeper Andriy Piyatov.
Full story: goal.com

Btw Buffon is 32, no age for a goal keeper these days

Saaf_laandon_mo 18-05-2010 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35023782)

Getting a player to stay at a club for 3 to 4 years is an achievement whatever the age. Would a player want to spend 10 years of his career at a club that doesn't necessarily pay the higest wages or doesn't win any silverware, for example

Derek 18-05-2010 14:44

What would they have done if Barcelona had lost? :erm:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9081749

Quote:

Barcelona fans celebrating the side's second consecutive La Liga title were involved in clashes with the police in the city centre late on Sunday night.
There were a total of 104 arrests and 119 people were treated for injuries

Damien 18-05-2010 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35023927)
1017 BST: Arsenal will move for £12m-rated Lyon and France keeper Hugo Lloris, but could turn to Shakhtar Donetsk keeper Andriy Piyatov.
Full story: goal.com

Btw Buffon is 32, no age for a goal keeper these days

That would be great. I hope we get our transfers sorted before the World Cup. Get it done.

SB_07 18-05-2010 16:14

Well according to a couple of places, Fabregas has told Wenger he wants to leave.

Damien 18-05-2010 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB_07 (Post 35023982)
Well according to a couple of places, Fabregas has told Wenger he wants to leave.

Hopefully just a rumour but if not then I hope we get a lot of money. As key as he is, he is our best player, we actually have quite a bit of depth in midfield. The money could be used to bring in a replacement and pay for another defender, defensive midfielder. Especially since Toure might be included in a possible deal. There seems to be little to back up this rumour though, everyone is saying 'reports'. Where do they come from?

TheDaddy 18-05-2010 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35023992)
Hopefully just a rumour but if not then I hope we get a lot of money. As key as he is, he is our best player, we actually have quite a bit of depth in midfield. The money could be used to bring in a replacement and pay for another defender, defensive midfielder. Especially since Toure might be included in a possible deal. There seems to be little to back up this rumour though, everyone is saying 'reports'. Where do they come from?

Barcalona president Joan Leporta

"It is remarkable the player has said that. If we believe we must make an effort, we will and we will talk to Arsenal."

Vice President Rafael Yuste

"The situation with Cesc is different because even if you have the will of the player it is very important to talk to his club and, if you can, find an agreement.

"But what makes it easier is that the players want to come to Barca."

Two of Laporta's election rivals including winner Sandro Rosell

two of his potential successors, Sandro Rosell and Alfons Godall, have mentioned signing Fabregas as part of their election campaign.

Sounding more and more like a done deal and don't expect Ronaldo type millions for him, they don't want to pay more than £30 million due to him being taken from their youth team, if you can negotiate that fee + Toure I'd take it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/8690067.stm

Don't know what is happening to the Prem all the best players seem to be on the verge of leaving :(

Damien 18-05-2010 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35024001)
Barcalona president Joan Leporta

"It is remarkable the player has said that. If we believe we must make an effort, we will and we will talk to Arsenal."

Vice President Rafael Yuste

"The situation with Cesc is different because even if you have the will of the player it is very important to talk to his club and, if you can, find an agreement.

"But what makes it easier is that the players want to come to Barca."

Two of Laporta's election rivals including winner Sandro Rosell

two of his potential successors, Sandro Rosell and Alfons Godall, have mentioned signing Fabregas as part of their election campaign.

Sounding more and more like a done deal and don't expect Ronaldo type millions for him, they don't want to pay more than £30 million due to him being from their youth team, if you can negotiate that fee + Toure I'd take it.

The Spanish Presidents are always mouthing off about getting this player and that. I take whatever they say which a Huge dose of salt. They have form in this regard, especially during the time clubs' presidential election. I don't seem him playing in their first team as a regular. Not with Xavi and Inestia fit, so why pay £30 mill plus for him? I think it will be a mistake for him to leave unless he is certain to get first team football. He is one of the best players in the world, it wouldn't make sense to move to the one club that have most of the rest.

Oh well. Has to happen sometime. Want Wenger to get a keeper, two defenders (one to replace Gallas, the other back up) and a new midfielder and I am happy. Even if Fabagas left (at least that saga would be over!).

TheDaddy 18-05-2010 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35024003)
The Spanish Presidents are always mouthing off about getting this player and that. I take whatever they say which a Huge dose of salt. They have form in this regard, especially during the time clubs' presidential election. I don't seem him playing in their first team as a regular. Not with Xavi and Inestia fit, so why pay £30 mill plus for him? I think it will be a mistake for him to leave unless he is certain to get first team football. He is one of the best players in the world, it wouldn't make sense to move to the one club that have most of the rest.

Oh well. Has to happen sometime. Want Wenger to get a keeper, two defenders (one to replace Gallas, the other back up) and a new midfielder and I am happy. Even if Fabagas left (at least that saga would be over!).

Far to much mouthing of this year imo, just like last year with Ronaldo. He will play to some times with Xavi and Inesta some times instead of one of them and he'll still get 30-40 odd games a season