Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

Sirius 17-02-2017 11:38

Re: UK Exit of EU (Brexit)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35886250)
The referendum result should be respected IMO Osem even though l did not vote for it as that is what democracy is supposed to be about but it should not stop people from both sides having a reasonable and mature debate about it without resorting to name calling and insults whether its on this forum or in the much bigger wide wide world as some of the behaviour during the referendum and since then has been pretty deplorable and shameful IMO.

To put it bluntly, if Blair is involved i will not trust a word he says.

denphone 17-02-2017 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35886255)
To put it bluntly, if Blair is involved i will not trust a word he says.

Indeed but the same applies to most of the politicians of today as well.

Ramrod 17-02-2017 15:08

It's ironic, Blairs policy on immigration all those years ago was probably the thing that kicked off the Uks discontent regarding the EU :D

Maggy 17-02-2017 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35886250)
The referendum result should be respected IMO Osem even though l did not vote for it as that is what democracy is supposed to be about but it should not stop people from both sides having a reasonable and mature debate about it without resorting to name calling and insults whether its on this forum or in the much bigger wide wide world as some of the behaviour during the referendum and since then has been pretty deplorable and shameful IMO.

:tu:

Pierre 17-02-2017 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35886224)
Same could be said of the Remain side. How many of those who said to remain in the EEC in the previous referendum, knew what the EEC was to become? Who knew the way in it would enlarge, encompassing former Eastern Bloc countries? Any freedom of movement was for WORKERS. Even the UKs own laws on rights to housing, benefits, etc were very different back then. At least the Leave side knew that their concerns would never be addressed, and that the EU would carry on regardless.

Strangely enough, Blair's comment applies even more so, to those who voted for Scottish Independence. Not even the simple matter of which currency to use, wasn't settled or presented.

Anything to help to consolidate the brexiteers.

Ramrod 17-02-2017 18:55

EU Admits Overreach as Populist Victories Loom in 2017
Quote:

In an interview with Time magazine, Mr. Juncker acknowledged some decisions were better taken by national governments, and that people were reacting against this.

When asked why populists were making gains in France, Germany, and the Netherlands, he responded: “I think this is largely due to our faults.

“I think the European Union and the Commission gave the impression that we are in command of everything.

“We were trying to have influence in so many things which are better in the hands of national, local and regional authorities.”
I had many debates with remainers on the run up to the Brexit vote and they were all adamant the the EU had no power to impose it's will on the member states!
Cor, bet they feel a bit stupid now that Junker himself has burst that bubble! :D

Hom3r 17-02-2017 19:54

It takes a lot to offend me, but the anti-brexit people who say the Brexit voter didn't know what they were voting for.

I knew exactly what I was doing.

Saying we weren't give the full information to vote could also be turned on to them, and now with that idiot Blair calling for people to rise up against the majority is a joke to the majority.

Radio 5 live were talking about this today and didn't want people to talk about the "illegal" Iraq war, missing WMDs and that he should be in court for war crimes.

I have been a life long Labour voter and Brexit will decide who I vote for, and I'm surprised to say ATM I'll be support May. :O

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35886346)
It takes a lot to offend me, but the anti-brexit people who say the Brexit voter didn't know what they were voting for. Have.

Saying we weren't give the full information to vote could also be turned on to them, and now with that idiot Blair calling for people to rise up against the majority is a joke to the majority.

Radio 5 live were talking about this today and didn't want people to talk about the "illegal" Iraq war, missing WMDs and that he should be in court for war crimes.

I have been a life long Labour voter and Brexit will decide who I vote for, and I'm surprised to say ATM I'll be support May. :O

TheDaddy 17-02-2017 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35886346)
It takes a lot to offend me, but the anti-brexit people who say the Brexit voter didn't know what they were voting for.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

But you thought leaving the EU meant we'd be leaving the ECHR to, I'd keep quiet on the whole knowing what you were voting for thing if I were you.

Ramrod 17-02-2017 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35886353)
But you thought leaving the EU meant we'd be leaving the ECHR to, I'd keep quiet on the whole knowing what you were voting for thing if I were you.

imo, the UK is quite capable of upholding human rights all on it's own.....

TheDaddy 18-02-2017 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35886370)

Considering UK lawyers and judges wrote most of it I'd agree, doesn't change the point being made though

Osem 18-02-2017 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35886370)

Quite. We certainly don't need to remain part of the EU to maintain a good record on HR and anyone who seeks to give the impression that won't be the case when we leave is either deluded or scaremongering.

pip08456 18-02-2017 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35886464)
Quite. We certainly don't need to remain part of the EU to maintain a good record on HR and anyone who seeks to give the impression that won't be the case when we leave is either deluded or scaremongering.

The ECHR has nothing to do with the EU, it's a totally different treaty although required for EU membership.

That said it will be easier to withdraw from it once we've left the EU.

As others have said we are perfectly capable of writng our own HR bill.

Osem 18-02-2017 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35886482)
The ECHR has nothing to do with the EU, it's a totally different treaty although required for EU membership.

That said it will be easier to withdraw from it once we've left the EU.

As others have said we are perfectly capable of writng our own HR bill.

Yes I know. The UK leaving the EU and even withdrawing from the ECHR won't adversely alter our record on human rights to any significant degree, it will however enable us to decide what our priorities are. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise.

pip08456 18-02-2017 19:41

I agree completely, it's just that your post suggested that leaving the EU also meant leave the ECHR.

We know they are separate but there's others...

We have always had a good record on human rights for at least the last 30yrs.

Looks like Blairs in trouble

Labour MPs challenge Tony Blair over Brexit speech

RizzyKing 18-02-2017 20:33

Tony blair should be happy he's still free to rake in the cash and should stay out of things even though I can't think of anyone who could damage the remain cause more then him.