Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Will Scotland Leave the UK? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684496)

Mr Angry 24-02-2014 21:20

Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35675349)
What will the UK become if Scotland leaves ? The Slightly Less United Kingdom ?

According to one leading Scottish legal expert "What was created by the Treaty of 1706 and the Acts (Scottish and English) of 1707 was a new legal entity referred to as Great Britain. It was the Act of Union of 1800 that created for the first time a legal entity known as "the United Kingdom" -- namely the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (now the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). If Scotland achieves independence, it is not "United Kingdom" that will have to cease to be used by the remainder, but "Great Britain". It is Great Britain that Scotland and England formed in 1707 and it is Great Britain that will cease to exist if that union is severed. There is no reason whatever why the remainder should not continue to be called the United Kingdom or UK, but the full title would have to be changed to something like "the United Kingdom of England (?and Wales) and Northern Ireland".

weenie 24-02-2014 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35675349)
What will the UK become if Scotland leaves ? The Slightly Less United Kingdom ?

:LOL: :rolleyes: No United Kingdom maybe less better, only joking ;) as you know you love us Scots really :luv: :D Go on admit IT !!!
I personally think Alex Salmond, will end up with a egg on his face "Scotch Egg"... I cannot see the the yes vote IMO ...

Doug P 25-02-2014 13:16

Nothing against Scottish singers but the idea of these islands sending TWO songs to the Eurovision Song Contest is appalling!

TheDaddy 25-02-2014 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35675357)
According to one leading Scottish legal expert "What was created by the Treaty of 1706 and the Acts (Scottish and English) of 1707 was a new legal entity referred to as Great Britain. It was the Act of Union of 1800 that created for the first time a legal entity known as "the United Kingdom" -- namely the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (now the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). If Scotland achieves independence, it is not "United Kingdom" that will have to cease to be used by the remainder, but "Great Britain". It is Great Britain that Scotland and England formed in 1707 and it is Great Britain that will cease to exist if that union is severed. There is no reason whatever why the remainder should not continue to be called the United Kingdom or UK, but the full title would have to be changed to something like "the United Kingdom of England (?and Wales) and Northern Ireland".

We're not including Wales in it under any circumstances, we'll just have to be known as the kingdom

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35675451)
But it would halve the chances of us ending up with "Nul Points" :D

They have to go now, we need tae points

Damien 25-02-2014 15:37

We'll keep our name. The Act of Union is irrelevant, people outside the country won't care at all.

Osem 27-02-2014 07:46

Yet more 'bullying'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26362321

Quote:

Standard Life is putting in place contingency plans to relocate funds, people and operations to England if Scottish people vote for independence and what it regards as material uncertainties about money and regulation are not sorted to its satisfaction.

In its annual report, published on Thursday, the chairman of the Edinburgh-based pensions and savings firm, Gerry Grimstone, says Scotland has been a great base for the company but that, "if anything were to threaten this, we will take whatever action we consider necessary - including transferring parts of our operations from Scotland - in order to ensure continuity and to protect the interests of our stakeholders".

Pierre 27-02-2014 08:31

Well at least they've finally answered the Currency issue.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Damien 27-02-2014 08:37

My pension is with Standard Life and I would want it regulated by the UK Government. Especially when it comes to protecting the contributions....

Osem 27-02-2014 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35675994)
My pension is with Standard Life and I would want it regulated by the UK Government. Especially when it comes to protecting the contributions....

You're just a bully! :lol:

I would have thought this action would amount to a fiduciary responsibility of the company and others like it.

Chris 27-02-2014 09:30

Alec the Great Democrat and all round big fan of referendums says there should not be a referendum in England, Wales and NI on whether to share their currency with a separate Scotland.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ncy-union.html

Osem 27-02-2014 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35676015)
Alec the Great Democrat and all round big fan of referendums says there should not be a referendum in England, Wales and NI on whether to share their currency with a separate Scotland.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ncy-union.html

Sounds about right to me. He's shown how much he likes to have his cake and eat it. Only someone like Salmond could claim to be the victim of bullying whilst at the same time prancing around telling the rest of the UK what it can and can't have.

Damien 27-02-2014 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35676022)
Sounds about right to me. He's shown how much he likes to have his cake and eat it. Only someone like Salmond could claim to be the victim of bullying whilst at the same time prancing around telling the rest of the UK what it can and can't have.

I do intend to steal his lunch money however. FOR ENGLAND!

weenie 27-02-2014 10:06

Maria Miller says independent Scotland would lose the BBC, does that mean no TV licence :LOL: ...

Pierre 27-02-2014 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35676026)
Maria Miller says independent Scotland would lose the BBC, does that mean no TV licence :LOL: ...

That's right, free telly for Scotland all paid out of what is the massive bottomless pit of money that is North Sea Oil, that will apparently pay for absolutely anything the Scottish heart desires.

weenie 27-02-2014 10:24

No you have wrong it is more bullying LOL what rubbish all this bullying bull, if Salmond can say what Scotland will get why cannot he be told what Scotland will lose ... utter rubbish all these bullying claims ...