Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media considering launching budget brand (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704108)

Inactive Digital 10-12-2016 21:08

Virgin Media considering launching budget brand

VM are said to be contemplating launching a budget brand to compete with TalkTalk and Plusnet.

It would include slower broadband speeds than currently provided

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-budget-brand/

1andrew1 11-12-2016 00:19

Re: Virgin Media considering launching budget brand

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35875003)
VM are said to be contemplating launching a budget brand to compete with TalkTalk and Plusnet.

It would include slower broadband speeds than currently provided

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-budget-brand/

Makes sense, I've thought previously that they should have had another brand eg NTL for their non-cable broadband customers but they decided to sell the clients to TalkTalk.

jb66 11-12-2016 07:07

50meg is pretty cheap as is

Skie 12-12-2016 12:38

Thought VM was a budget brand anyway. Not exactly a high class proposition anyway.

1andrew1 12-12-2016 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35875246)
Thought VM was a budget brand anyway. Not exactly a high class proposition anyway.

It's not a budget brand for broadband or TV, it's a premium offering.The mobile offering - like BT Mobile and Sky Mobile - is more of a value offering.

pip08456 12-12-2016 13:52

There are plenty of people who do not have the "Need for Speed". A budget cable connection would be ideal for them myself included. 10Mbps is more than enough for my needs and there's thousands more like me.

denphone 12-12-2016 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35875267)
There are plenty of people who do not have the "Need for Speed". A budget cable connection would be ideal for them myself included. 10Mbps is more than enough for my needs and there's thousands more like me.

Indeed there is a market for everybody as some families and people require the faster speeds while others are quite happy with the smaller speeds and personally l think it is a wise move by Virgin..

Mr K 12-12-2016 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35875274)
Indeed there is a market for everybody as some families and people require the faster speeds while others are quite happy with the smaller speeds and personally l think it is a wise move by Virgin..

It might backfire if a lot of VMs current customers downgrade to save some money. Doubtless it will only be available to 'new' customers. Once speeds went above 20MB it all became a bit of a silly numbers game.

pip08456 12-12-2016 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35875275)
It might backfire if a lot of VMs current customers downgrade to save some money. Doubtless it will only be available to 'new' customers. Once speeds went above 20MB it all became a bit of a silly numbers game.

I doubt it Mr K, Consider this. VM either are in or with project lightening going to an area with high ADSL demand, why shouldn't they offer a service to them that doesn't depend on distance from the exchange.

Even if VDSL is available not everyone upgrades to it. It would be a good move to offer say 10Mbps to those at the same or slightly better price.

Don't forget who started the silly E-willy waving.

vm_tech 12-12-2016 15:15

I'm not sure why a new brand would be needed, surely just a new tier would do it? I presume it would need to be a standalone BB offering as the V6 requires 100mb I believe

Kushan 12-12-2016 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35875267)

Never mind plenty of people, it's more like the majority of people.

Certainly when I was there, most customers were on the base package (not the S tier retentions deal) and quite happy.

1andrew1 13-12-2016 00:00

I wonder what VM's budget brand might offer as a box? Tivo V6? YouView? Horizon V6? Netgem?

jb66 13-12-2016 10:00

Suppose it puts all the old sh1 and v+ to good use

MrIca 13-12-2016 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35875309)
I'm not sure why a new brand would be needed, surely just a new tier would do it? I presume it would need to be a standalone BB offering as the V6 requires 100mb I believe

Because if they just did a new tier it could cause current customers to downgrade to save money.

vm_tech 13-12-2016 17:28

Obviously these are just my opinions, but people would just leave VM for the new company, which could potentially cost more money as im assuming the secondary brand would use different equipment to differentiate the 2 companies, so said customer rather than just having a config file sent down will need account closed, new account created billing set up etc equipment swapped. There would be plenty of ways to prevent people just downgrading for the sake of it, e.g. They will lose they bundle discounts etc. That's just my 2 pence worth I'm sure if it is true the accountants have looked at their spreadsheets and decided it's viable