Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704075)

sollp 04-12-2016 20:15

Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by nefu (Post 35873571)
It's Virgins fault because this latency showed up in the trials, but they went ahead and issued the faulty kit anyway.

The equipment isn't faulty, it's software that isn't correct. Read the article and you will see Intel are rolling out fix.

nallar 04-12-2016 23:03

Seeing inconsistent latencies with a Hub 3 here, on 12 down 2 up (16 QAM).

CMTS:
https://smokeping.allan.scot/cache/T/CMTS_last_3600.png
google.co.uk:
https://smokeping.allan.scot/cache/T..._last_3600.png

The big spikes to the CMTS every ~15 minutes may be a separate problem as they don't affect traffic to further away hosts. Not sure what would be causing that. If it matters the CMTS mac vendor is RiverDelta Networks.

ccarmock 05-12-2016 21:49

I have the Hitron from Virgin Media business, which reportedly uses the same Intel chipset as the Hub3, so suffers the same latency problem, yet the TBB graph appears cleaner:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2016/12/21.png

2pence 07-12-2016 16:08

So guys, is this why my pings from my PC <> cat5 cable <> Hub 3.0 are 4-5ms?

Bambamboyo 08-12-2016 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pence (Post 35874375)

In a word, yes

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35873911)
I have the Hitron from Virgin Media business, which reportedly uses the same Intel chipset as the Hub3, so suffers the same latency problem, yet the TBB graph appears cleaner:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...05-12-2016.png

I think possibly the more bonded channels your modem is locked on to, the worse it is. I am on 20 down / 4 up. My BQM looks much noisier than your chart. How many are you on?

The PIT 08-12-2016 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 35873745)
The equipment isn't faulty, it's software that isn't correct. Read the article and you will see Intel are rolling out fix.

I think you should. Yes it is faulty because if it's not working as the way it should. That's why Intel is rolling out a fix.

sollp 09-12-2016 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by The PIT (Post 35874649)
I think you should. Yes it is faulty because if it's not working as the way it should. That's why Intel is rolling out a fix.

No its a software issue, not faulty equipment. Quite a difference if the equipment is FAULTY then it would need replacing. As most electrical goods that run off a CPU would need replacing every time a software upgrade is needed.

Travelstar 09-12-2016 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pence (Post 35874375)

I have to admit I never even thought to look at ping times on what is effectively my local network and yes, like you I have between 4ms and 7ms for 192.168.100.1 which is poor to say the least. Seems this issue causes issues on both sides of the network.

ccarmock 09-12-2016 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambamboyo (Post 35874600)
In a word, yes

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

I think possibly the more bonded channels your modem is locked on to, the worse it is. I am on 20 down / 4 up. My BQM looks much noisier than your chart. How many are you on?

You could be right - I am still on 12 downstream channels and 2 up

Cromulent 13-12-2016 15:15

I just signed up for VM Vivid 200 Gamer broadband and now I'm worried about the ping based on this article. I do a lot of streaming to Twitch TV and I specifically chose that package because it doesn't have any upload traffic management. So yeah online gaming and streaming are really important to me.

I actually cancelled VM about 3 months ago to switch to Sky Broadband and the experience has been dreadful. I never had any problems with VM broadband but as soon as I switched to Sky I had constant disconnects and I never got the speed I was advertised. So I signed back up with VM and I'm having it installed on Thursday. I just really need a stable internet connection. So fingers crossed this isn't going to cause me any problems.

Synthetic 13-12-2016 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cromulent (Post 35875578)
I just signed up for VM Vivid 200 Gamer broadband and now I'm worried about the ping based on this article. I do a lot of streaming to Twitch TV and I specifically chose that package because it doesn't have any upload traffic management. So yeah online gaming and streaming are really important to me.

I actually cancelled VM about 3 months ago to switch to Sky Broadband and the experience has been dreadful. I never had any problems with VM broadband but as soon as I switched to Sky I had constant disconnects and I never got the speed I was advertised. So I signed back up with VM and I'm having it installed on Thursday. I just really need a stable internet connection. So fingers crossed this isn't going to cause me any problems.

Ping won't affect your upload speed to Twitch, it might however cause issues with games themselves if the ping is too high.

RB2004 13-12-2016 17:14

hardware wise, is there any difference between the black hub 3s and the white ones? aside from different coloured casing?

vincerooney 13-12-2016 21:01

They've just issued out a new superhub for me in preparation for increased speeds as im on superhub 1 at the moment.

Is superhub 3 the one with all the issues? Should i not install it for a few months then...?

Kushan 13-12-2016 21:41

No more issues than the SH1 has.

vincerooney 13-12-2016 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35875661)
No more issues than the SH1 has.

ah i see! had mine for years so might be a nice change...