Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

denphone 01-03-2017 15:15

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35888000)
I think the difference is that the BBC does not have revenue from advertising factored into what they can and can't do, Den.

Indeed but its still rather disappointing.OB.

muppetman11 01-03-2017 15:44

ITV do make content available in Catch up for longer than 7 days clearly Virgins current contract only covers 7 days catch up.

Ddonald2016 01-03-2017 19:01

Well despite promises for end of February no virgin store, no updated TV anywhere app, more false promises

denphone 01-03-2017 19:14

It did not take long for your discontentment to rear its head again Sir..

OLD BOY 01-03-2017 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35888044)
Well despite promises for end of February no virgin store, no updated TV anywhere app, more false promises

Stop it, Andrew. Clearly, this was what Virgin were aiming for, but stuff happens. It'll be there soon enough.

BenMcr 01-03-2017 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35888044)

The TV Anywhere app was updated last year. What further update were you expecting?

SonicMaster 02-03-2017 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35887979)
Well, I'm not going to argue about the apps and VM service being different because clearly, they are. But the main point I was making is that it was the broadcasting companies that named them, not Virgin Media.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

I know that the Sky, Fox and other pay tv channels are 30 days, but is that also the case for the ITV Hub, All4 and My 5 services?

Which has nothing to do with my point that VM are guilty of false advertising. It's fine for VM to advertise that they offer a Catch Up service that includes a selection of programmes from the last 7 days on various channels. It's not okay to for them to say that they provide specific apps that they do not. Many shows are available for much longer than 7 days on their apps.

I'm not surprised that the Virgin Media Store and the Virgin TV kid's app both failed to launch on time, it's typical VM, but still disappointing to see as VM did appear to be getting their act together with regard to their TV service.

BenMcr 02-03-2017 09:53

'All 4' and 'ITV Hub' are the brand names for the respective content services. It doesn't imply that they're an app or have a certain content availability.

The V boxes still have 'BBC iPlayer' even though the content on there is only for 7 days and SD only - because that's what the BBC brand their catch up service as.

SonicMaster 02-03-2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35888101)
'All 4' and 'ITV Hub' are the brand names for the respective content services. It doesn't imply that they're an app or have a certain content availability.

The V boxes still have 'BBC iPlayer' even though the content on there is only for 7 days and SD only - because that's what the BBC brand their catch up service as.

As a VM employee you can defend them all you like, but it's very clear cut.

VM state:

Appy days
We know great telly can come from anywhere, but Virgin TV brilliantly brings the TV you love together and lets you watch the way you want. Netflix (if you’re a subscriber), YouTube, Vevo – access them all through your TV, as well as free to air catch up players like BBC iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub and even Sky on Demand. It’s the TV you love, the way you want it.

At least they are honest about Channel 5.

Rather than pretending that they offer the My5 app, all Catch Up content for Channel 5, 5STAR, 5USA and Spike is just listed in a folder named Channel 5.

OLD BOY 02-03-2017 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35888107)

VM state:

Appy days
We know great telly can come from anywhere, but Virgin TV brilliantly brings the TV you love together and lets you watch the way you want. Netflix (if you’re a subscriber), YouTube, Vevo – access them all through your TV, as well as free to air catch up players like BBC iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub and even Sky on Demand. It’s the TV you love, the way you want it.

Rather than pretending that they offer the My5 app, all Catch Up content for Channel 5, 5STAR, 5USA and Spike is just listed in a folder named Channel 5.

As Ben and I have said, the name of the catch up services is down to the TV companies, not Virgin. You are aiming your annoyance at the wrong organisation.

SonicMaster 02-03-2017 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35888109)
As Ben and I have said, the name of the catch up services is down to the TV companies, not Virgin. You are aiming your annoyance at the wrong organisation.

Oh so VM aren't in control of their own website...? I'm 100% sure that VM don't need to refer to them as apps and include the app logos when they aren't apps.

Anyway, where is your evidence that the broadcasters get to choose the name that VM use for Catch Up services on their platform?

BenMcr 02-03-2017 11:25

This for instance:

https://www.itvmedia.co.uk/index.php...orce/3333/1437

Quote:

The ITV Hub replaces ITV Player and itv.com across mobile, PC and connected TV to become the new digital destination for all our TV channels and online services.

SonicMaster 02-03-2017 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35888122)

That's about the re-branding of ITV Player as ITV Hub in 2015, it's nothing to do with the agreement between VM and ITV for access to a selection of ITV shows for 7 days after broadcast. VM never had ITV Player, and in an attempt to make the difference clear the functionality on VM was badged as the ITV Net Player.

theone2k10 02-03-2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35888107)

VM state:

Appy days

VM and honesty don't tend to go together.

denphone 02-03-2017 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35888138)
VM and honesty don't tend to go together.

Goodness grief no company is perfect but that statement just beggars belief.