Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Startrek & Trekkies (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710301)

alanbjames 12-08-2021 07:10

Startrek & Trekkies

I'm just wondering how many of u guys are trekkies??

I never used to be but my son got me into it by lending me the box set of the films.

My favourite has to be Voyager tho!

Who else has a preference?

Dude111 12-08-2021 09:27

The original star trek has always been my favourite :)

Chris 12-08-2021 09:49

Re: Startrek & Trekkies

You have to go a long way to beat ST:NG (the series, less so the films). While its first two seasons were a bit patchy, you can absolutely see that it’s a faithful continuation of the original, and as it matures, the main cast are all solid, believable characters who are allowed to grow rather than being forced to keep repeating the same two-dimensional cliches so as to drive plot (unlike certain later characters, like Neelix aboard Voyager for example).

The chemistry between the main cast is perhaps best summed up by the TV series’ final sequence, in which Picard finally joins the rest of them for a card game - something which the writers hadn’t even used to create artificial tension at any previous point. It was understated, and presented as continuing natural growth in relationship. Superbly measured and executed.

And having recently re-watched it all on Netflix, even the Q episodes have grown on me. :D

Jaymoss 12-08-2021 10:03

Dunno about which series I think is better but my fave episode is Trials and Tribulations( I think it was a 2 parter) DS9 where they went back in time and were on the original Enterprise. The part where they are sat in the cantine and the old Klingons walk in and they ask Worf how and he just said don't ask lmao

Ok I got the quote wrong but still very funny

alanbjames 12-08-2021 17:52

The worst startrek in my opinion also was Enterprise.

Chris 12-08-2021 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36089592)
The worst startrek in my opinion also was Enterprise.

I expect it sounded like a good idea in the pitch meeting but the reality is that many of the technologies invented for Star Trek were convenient storytelling devices, and devising a series in which they were at least partially absent was always risky. Photon torpedoes and deflector shields ensure you don’t write yourself into a corner every week, even if you’re creating stories with believable peril. The ability to blow stuff up while not getting blown up is very handy. Likewise, the transporter is the absolute classic example of simplified storytelling and many sequences especially in early episodes of Enterprise demonstrate just what an inspired device it was in the original series and how the writers struggled to maintain pace and interest in Enterprise.

Then of course, when they finally got bored with the restrictions of the period they themselves had chosen to write in, they threw in the towel and invented time wars as an excuse to bring in all the convenient high tech and spangly effects they thought they could do without.

Pierre 13-08-2021 09:49

I thought the correct term was "trekkers"

I like it all. Some more than others. I agree ST.TNG is the best. DS9 & Voyager essentially just extensions of that.

TOS was great and still stands up against modern series.

I like all the films, except "Generations" There was not need to try and combine TOS & TNG.

I enjoyed the first series of Discovery, less so the others.

Enterprise - well the title music tells you all you need to know.

SnoopZ 13-08-2021 13:14

Star Trek Next Generation and Voyager have always been my favs i never bothered with DS9(not sure why).

denphone 13-08-2021 14:01

l love all of the Star Trek series.

Star Trek, Star Wars.

Like a pig in muck...

Paul 13-08-2021 22:01

TNG was my favourite, then TOS, then DS9 (the later seasons).

Enterprise was my least favourite, and I wasnt overly keen on Voyager.

alanbjames 15-08-2021 04:22

i quite like series 4 - 7 of DS9 to.

1 - 3 were pretty slow.

Dude111 16-08-2021 07:23

DS9 is OK out of all of them but really I think the first IS BEST!