Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Westminster Sexual Allegations (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705573)

Osem 23-10-2017 20:40

Westminster Sexual Allegations

Quote:

Labour MP Jared O'Mara has quit the Commons equality committee over online homophobic comments he made before being elected to Parliament.
Mr O'Mara also made sexist remarks, joked about having an orgy with members of Girls Aloud and posted degrading comments about fat people.
The Sheffield Hallam MP, 36, was elected in June, unseating ex-deputy prime minister Nick Clegg.
Mr O'Mara resigned from the Women and Equalities Committee after apologising.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41724540

Quote:

Lib Dem peer Lord Scriven, the former leader of Sheffield Council, said: "It seems like a nasty pattern of sexist language and misogyny is developing from the Labour MP for Sheffield Hallam.
Sounds like a thoroughly nice, tolerant guy to me... :rolleyes:

Paul 23-10-2017 21:13

Re: Labour MP's homophobic & sexist remarks

Right, because no one else ever made jokes about having an orgy with Girls Aloud, or any other female pop star.

Once again the lack of tolerence seems to be with those criticising him.

Damien 23-10-2017 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35921565)
Right, because no one else ever made jokes about having an orgy with Girls Aloud, or any other female pop star.

Once again the lack of tolerence seems to be with those criticising him.

This guy didn't just make one comment though. There is a whole pattern of this behaviour. Even before this story there have been reports about how he's behaved towards women in his club as well.

Kursk 24-10-2017 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35921565)
........an orgy with Girls Aloud.......

Can we have an 'orgy with Girls Aloud' club as CF please? I'm sure it would attract more members (ooer missus) than your anti-cycling club ;).

papa smurf 24-10-2017 09:00

in

Ignitionnet 24-10-2017 09:03

Oh dear. And, this is why you vet your candidates extremely thoroughly.

Still if he really is shady he should fit right in with Sheffield Council.

Kursk 24-10-2017 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921649)
in

:D More members needed please....pimp:

Paul 24-10-2017 18:06

I'm sure I could be persuaded to join. ;)

Damien 24-10-2017 18:14

Labour had started an investigation. He is on thin ice certainly

RichardCoulter 24-10-2017 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35921561)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41724540

Sounds like a thoroughly nice, tolerant guy to me... :rolleyes:

Seems more likely to be part of your relentless desire to post anything to discredit the Labour Party than any real concern for the remarks he made.

He was stupid to leave them up though, you'd think that he would have deleted them or used his right to get historical posts removed.

Kursk 24-10-2017 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35921712)
I'm sure I could be persuaded to join. ;)

Great!:knock: That's 3 of us then. The difficult part might be getting GA to join...

Osem 24-10-2017 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35921713)
Labour had started an investigation. He is on thin ice certainly

We'll see how thin the ice is.

papa smurf 24-10-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35921731)
We'll see how thin the ice is.

you might have to lift the odd rug to find it .

Julian 24-10-2017 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35921718)
Seems more likely to be part of your relentless desire to post anything to discredit the Labour Party than any real concern for the remarks he made.

He was stupid to leave them up though, you'd think that he would have deleted them or used his right to get historical posts removed.

Delete them to pretend they never existed?

I'm surprised you're advocating that alongside almost sngle handedly preaching in another thread about a clampdown on internet abuse.......:dozey:

RichardCoulter 24-10-2017 22:51

You'd think that he'd have the sense to sanitise his past when he decided to become an MP as (rightly or wrongly) they are expected to be whiter than white by the public.

There would be nothing wrong in an internet troll seeing the error of their ways and trying to minimise any upset caused by getting the remarks deleted, but I do have some sympathy with what you say as in if people choose to publish inappropriate things on the internet and it comes back to bite them on the bum in later life, then it's their own fault for doing it.

ianch99 25-10-2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35921718)
Seems more likely to be part of your relentless desire to post anything to discredit the Labour Party than any real concern for the remarks he made

Can't think what you mean? ;)

I am sure Osem will be along in a while with lots of threads about equally odious Tory MP's & Councillors.

Osem 25-10-2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921733)
you might have to lift the odd rug to find it .

Yes I dare say quite a lot's been swept under...

It's ironic how some people who claim to want to defend tolerance and oppose prejudice, stereotyping etc. feel free to openly express a visceral hatred of 'Tories' no matter what they have/haven't done. It seems the mere label 'Tory' makes anyone fair game for a lifetime of all sorts of abuse but it doesn't stop there. They all too often talk the good talk about race, religion, discrimination etc. in parliament and to the media yet we find that their own actions give a very different picture of the sort of people they really are, the depths to which they'll sink and the means by which they'll get their way. Their particular form of nastiness is totally different however. It's justified because they say it is and their targets are fair game after all... They get caught out going too far and utter a half apology and they expect it to be enough. Not so for that Tory who's pure evil by definition... Had he/she uttered the very same words or done the very same things there'd be no possible forgiveness, no possible justification, no possible mitigation.

The hypocrisy evident amongst some people is quite staggering and those who're apologists for this sort of thing are just as bad IMHO. There's more about this nasty goon's behaviour in the media for those who care to look and it's not suitable for here but at least he's not a nasty Tory eh? :rolleyes:

papa smurf 25-10-2017 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35921776)
Yes I dare say quite a lot's been swept under...

well he's been suspended and operation carpet sweeper is underway ,i expect he will come out as squeaky clean .

Osem 25-10-2017 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921781)
well he's been suspended and operation carpet sweeper is underway ,i expect he will come out as squeaky clean .

Well Labour have plenty of form when it comes to turning a blind eye to nastiness like this in their senior ranks let alone a minnow like this guy so it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe they'll prove us wrong eh? Time will tell.

Damien 25-10-2017 12:08

Labour have suspended him.

denphone 25-10-2017 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35921781)

Well UK politics have got previous history of that with all the sleaze scandals and misdeeds that go back to the Profumo affair and even before then so one should not be surprised..

Damien 25-10-2017 12:24

Quote:

They all too often talk the good talk about race, religion, discrimination etc. in parliament and to the media yet we find that their own actions give a very different picture of the sort of people they really are, the depths to which they'll sink and the means by which they'll get their way.

I don't think he represents the entire party. All parties will have a few bad ones. It's dangerous use them to represent the entire group.

papa smurf 25-10-2017 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35921789)
I don't think he represents the entire party. All parties will have a few bad ones. It's dangerous use them to represent the entire group.

one rotten potato in a pack taints the rest with it's foul taste
or if you like rotten apple barrel ........;)

Osem 25-10-2017 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35921789)

I didn't here and never have said it represents the whole party or anything like that. I really don't think I could have been much clearer about that.

When Labour's leadership fails to act decisively on all these occurrences (even those which feature senior party figures like Livingstone and McDonnell) then they are not be directly responsible for the behaviour of those people but they very much are responsible for not dealing with it effectively and sending a message that they value their political friends and alliances more highly. If it'd been a Tory MP who'd said these things Labour would have been demanding his resignation to a man/woman.

heero_yuy 25-10-2017 13:21

It takes a very good farmer to spot a rotten apple at the top of the barrel and be sure there are none hidden below.

It's also a perfect example of why some people want the right to edit their past so we won't know how unpleasant they really are.

daveeb 25-10-2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35921773)
Can't think what you mean? ;)

I am sure Osem will be along in a while with lots of threads about equally odious Tory MP's & Councillors.

I'm really looking forward to reading them :hyper:

RichardCoulter 27-10-2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35921741)
Delete them to pretend they never existed?

I'm surprised you're advocating that alongside almost sngle handedly preaching in another thread about a clampdown on internet abuse.......:dozey:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35921745)
You'd think that he'd have the sense to sanitise his past when he decided to become an MP as (rightly or wrongly) they are expected to be whiter than white by the public.

There would be nothing wrong in an internet troll seeing the error of their ways and trying to minimise any upset caused by getting the remarks deleted, but I do have some sympathy with what you say as in if people choose to publish inappropriate things on the internet and it comes back to bite them on the bum in later life, then it's their own fault for doing it.

It was on the news today that there is now a call for the criminal records of young people to be wiped clean as it can ruin their lives and prevent them getting a career.

It's a difficult issue. Do people that made mistakes by committing on or offline crimes in the past and who have repented deserve to be punished forever more and prevented from making something of their lives (possibly leading back into a life of crime) or is it a case of saying that if they don't like the ramifications of what they've done, they shouldn't have done what they did in the first place?

Osem 28-10-2017 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35921795)
It takes a very good farmer to spot a rotten apple at the top of the barrel and be sure there are none hidden below.

It's also a perfect example of why some people want the right to edit their past so we won't know how unpleasant they really are.

Correct. There's a lot of important people out there in politics, the media, business, sport, entertainment etc. who behave one way in public and very differently in private and we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg emerge now. I'm sure a good many of these people are going to be exposed sooner or later and when they are we'll all be able to judge their hypocrisy as well as their behaviour.

denphone 28-10-2017 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35921795)

Sadly some attitudes are deeply entrenched in parts of the establishment and parts of society.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...day-programme/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...aken-seriously

richard s 28-10-2017 19:41

Nothing new here...

Mr K 28-10-2017 22:42

Quote:

A married former cabinet minister sent a young woman sexually explicit messages after rejecting her application for a junior role in his parliamentary office, a Telegraph investigation can disclose.

Stephen Crabb, a devout Christian who stood for the Conservative leadership last year, admitted saying "some pretty outrageous things" to the woman after interviewing her for a job, and that the messages "basically amount to unfaithfulness".

This weekend a friend of the woman said they saw messages in which the father-of-two "said he wanted to have sex with her". The friend accused the MP, who was a government whip at the time, of "abusing his position".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ges-rejecting/

Cue Mr Osem telling what a nasty Tory this is, and what a nasty party the Tories are :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Still waiting for Mr Osem, in the meantime...

Quote:

The hypocrisy evident amongst some people is quite staggering........

Couldn't have put it better myself.

TheDaddy 29-10-2017 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35922150)
It was on the news today that there is now a call for the criminal records of young people to be wiped clean as it can ruin their lives and prevent them getting a career.

It's a difficult issue. Do people that made mistakes by committing on or offline crimes in the past and who have repented deserve to be punished forever more and prevented from making something of their lives (possibly leading back into a life of crime) or is it a case of saying that if they don't like the ramifications of what they've done, they shouldn't have done what they did in the first place?

Depends if we as a society want to rehabilitate or punish people for the rest of their lives. I think Scotland has it right, if you've not been violent, sexual or been to prison criminal records are filtered after 20 years of non offending seems reasonable to me.

Damien 29-10-2017 07:17

Crab has to go. This is the second time he's done this isn't it?

denphone 29-10-2017 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35922353)
Crab has to go. This is the second time he's done this isn't it?

Nothing like someone that preaches to others but they cannot preach it to themselves.

Osem 29-10-2017 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922357)
Nothing like someone that preaches to others but they cannot preach it to themselves.

Well a lot of important, high profile and self righteous people are going to be exposed and I dare say the same will happen around the world. It's been going forever - the rich, powerful and influential feeling able to force, cajole or coerce others to do their will in one way or another. I wonder how many people who've been instrumental in changing our laws on all this will themselves turn out to have been responsible for committing some of the worst offences.

I can't see where all this will end but I hope it doesn't turn into the new McCarthyism in which innocent people's lives are ruined... :shrug:

heero_yuy 29-10-2017 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922361)
Well a lot of important, high profile and self righteous people are going to be exposed and I dare say the same will happen around the world. It's been going forever - the rich, powerful and influential feeling able to force, cajole or coerce others to do their will in one way or another. I wonder how many people who've been instrumental in changing our laws on all this will themselves turn out to have been responsible for committing some of the worst offences.

You usually find those preaching high morals in public are the most disgusting perverts in private. Do as I say, not as I do. :rolleyes:

Osem 29-10-2017 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35922379)
You usually find those preaching high morals in public are the most disgusting perverts in private. Do as I say, not as I do. :rolleyes:

Yes because they all too often have the required power, money, influence and opportunity.

I know this is all being portrayed as someone a uniquely male v female issue but I've heard plenty of stories about the abuse of men in predominantly female workplaces which goes to prove that neither sex has the monopoly on this sort of thing. As more men start to learn about the abuse others have suffered they're going to start speaking up and we're going to see that what's at the bottom of most of this is not the sex of the perpetrators and victims, it's their relative positions of opportunity and power.

Many men never speak about this sort of thing at the time but that doesn't mean they haven't been victims too. Way back when I was groped by a couple of girls in a bar who walked past me and one after the other quickly grabbed my crotch. I was stunned and would never have thought to complain to anyone - they'd have laughed at me after all - but it was a sexual assault nonetheless and if I were to 'return the favour' now I'd be arrested quick smart.

Mr K 29-10-2017 16:24

And another one....
Quote:

Conservative MP Mark Garnier is to face an investigation into whether he broke ministerial rules after he admitted asking his secretary to buy sex toys.
The international trade minister also confirmed calling her "sugar tits"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41794625

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922361)
I can't see where all this will end but I hope it doesn't turn into the new McCarthyism in which innocent people's lives are ruined... :shrug:

But it's ok to have a witch hunt depending on which party the MP is in? Don't think it's unfair to expect MPs to behave in the same standard they expect us to behave.
(tbh the MP for Sheffield sounds like an immature ******** who should never have got got close to a selection list, but Fred West could have stood against Nick Clegg and got elected). However there seems to a lot of sex obsessed bigoted pratts in the current parliament, and they should all be 'outed' regardless of which side they are on.

denphone 29-10-2017 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35922396)
And another one....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41794625

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

But it's ok to have a witch hunt depending on which party the MP is in? Don't think it's unfair to expect MPs to behave in the same standard they expect us to behave.
(tbh the MP for Sheffield sounds like an immature ******** who should never have got got close to a selection list, but Fred West could have stood against Nick Clegg and got elected). However there seems to a lot of sex obsessed bigoted pratts in the current parliament, and they should all be 'outed' regardless of which side they are on.

You can see why many of the populace have little faith in politicians whatever political persuasion they are from..

Osem 29-10-2017 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922404)
You can see why many of the populace have little faith in politicians whatever political persuasion they are from..

It's not just politicians though is it. Plenty of high profile people, including some of the great and the good (as we found out with Savile) are going to have done this sort of stuff and will be wondering whether their little secrets are going to come out. Some of them may even be at this moment deciding the 'disciplinary' or legal action which is going to be taken against others.

denphone 29-10-2017 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922411)
It's not just politicians though is it. Plenty of high profile people, including some of the great and the good (as we found out with Savile) are going to have done this sort of stuff and will be wondering whether their little secrets are going to come out. Some of them may even be at this moment deciding the 'disciplinary' or legal action which others are already facing.

No its certainly not just politicians as for many decades in many other spheres of society there were many that turned a blind eye to what was happening as quite a few knew exactly what was going on and did nothing and even now the establishment will do anything to hide their secrets from us.

Mr K 29-10-2017 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922415)
No its certainly not just politicians as for many decades in many other spheres of society there were many that turned a blind eye to what was happening as quite a few knew exactly what was going on and did nothing and even now the establishment will do anything to hide their secrets from us.

It is interesting Den that the OP originally saw this as being another tiresome opportunity have a go at 'nasty' Labour. However as soon as some Tories are implicated it's 'McCarthyism' and 'not just politicians' etc etc.

1andrew1 29-10-2017 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35922423)
It is interesting Den that the OP originally saw this as being another tiresome opportunity have a go at 'nasty' Labour. However as soon as some Tories are implicated it's 'McCarthyism' and 'not just politicians' etc etc.

I agree. That does seem a bit inconsistent.
I wish Theresa and Jeremy well in their endeavours to sort these issues out.

Damien 29-10-2017 22:17

Will the Tories suspend Crabb? Telegraph is suggesting May will fire ministers but will they should suspend the whip too they (rightly) demanded Labour do the same with O'Hara.

denphone 30-10-2017 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35922423)

As you know Mr K l try to be balanced whatever political persuasion they are from as all l am going to say is the words convenient memory loss and that applies not just to the Conservatives on here.;)

---------- Post added at 04:38 ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35922434)
Will the Tories suspend Crabb? Telegraph is suggesting May will fire ministers but will they should suspend the whip too they (rightly) demanded Labour do the same with O'Hara.

Indeed they cannot preach to the opposition if they cannot preach to themselves.

Osem 30-10-2017 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35922434)

They must. We rightly expect far better of those who run our lives and make our laws. There has been some quite appalling, if not necessarily illegal, behaviour going on in Westminster for years and it needs to be rooted out whether it's the abuse of privilege/power, the expenses system or those of other political persuasions - both male and female.

GrimUpNorth 30-10-2017 08:22

As this thread seems to be following the developing more widespread story, maybe it's time to change the title to something more appropriate and less party political.

Cheers

Dave

Osem 30-10-2017 08:42

Some leading Labour folks seem to be confused about when Labour found out about the allegations against O'Hara.

https://order-order.com/2017/10/29/l...d-allegations/

papa smurf 30-10-2017 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922453)
Some leading Labour folks seem to be confused about when Labour found out about the allegations against O'Hara.

https://order-order.com/2017/10/29/l...d-allegations/

i watched the denial on the marr and pesto shows it reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

Mr K 30-10-2017 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 35922452)
As this thread seems to be following the developing more widespread story, maybe it's time to change the title to something more appropriate and less party political.

Cheers

Dave

Nice try Dave but there's no balance round here !

I see the OP is still in denial and his browser is still stuck on the 'order-order' website (someone please fix it for him !). Just to balance things out here's another 36 culprits....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-pests-13-mps/
Quote:

Westminster sex pest scandal: 36 Tory MPs accused in 'dirty dossier' as PM vows to sack ministers involved

Osem 30-10-2017 08:56

Here's another list from that well known Tory mouthpiece:

https://order-order.com/2017/10/29/t...-sex-pest-mps/

More names will follow. We'll see who acts quickest and most decisively on this.

Mr K 30-10-2017 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922456)
We'll see who acts quickest and most decisively on this.

We already have old chap. One leader has suspended an MP, the other has so far done nothing. Was that not on 'order-order' ?

Osem 30-10-2017 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922454)
i watched the denial on the marr and pesto shows it reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

That's a blast from the past. lol

Mick 30-10-2017 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35922457)
We already have old chap. One leader has suspended an MP, the other has so far done nothing. Was that not on 'order-order' ?

The IRA Terrorist Sympathiser and his other IRA supporting cohorts took some time to react, Corbyn also did not attend a sexual harassment meeting last week for one his own female Labour MPs, what gives ?

Damien 30-10-2017 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35922460)
The IRA Terrorist Sympathiser and his other IRA supporting cohorts took some time to react, Corbyn also did not attend a sexual harassment meeting last week for one his own female Labour MPs, what gives ?

They did take time to suspend him and they shouldn't have. However the Tories need to do the same considering the outrage they had at Labour for this, especially since these allegations are worse. This problem spans all parties and professions.

Mick 30-10-2017 10:59

Agree, Damien, I take umbrage at Mr K’s opinion that somehow the Labour Party has the moral high ground here. They don’t and never will, while Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell are running the comedy show, that is Labour.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

In truth, I’m actually pissed off with both Conservatives and Labour. The next Election, be it 5 years or 5 months, I may have voter apathy.

denphone 30-10-2017 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35922465)
Agree, Damien, I take umbrage at Mr K’s opinion that somehow the Labour Party has the moral high ground here. They don’t and never will, while Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell are running the comedy show, that is Labour.

No one has the moral high ground here as this problem is not just across the political divide but across many spheres of society sadly as is becoming clear as every day goes by as for too long some turned a blind eye to all this and pretended that these things were not happening but now the genie is out of the bottle l expects quite a fair bit to be revealed from now onwards.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35922465)
In truth, I’m actually pissed off with both Conservatives and Labour. The next Election, be it 5 years or 5 months, I may have voter apathy.

Who does one pick as both are pretty bad IMO and at the end of the day as the voter has to pick the best of a pretty bad bunch sadly.

Osem 30-10-2017 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35922460)

It's called 'zero tolerance'.

Damien 30-10-2017 16:57

Lots of questions about these 30 or MPs and when May knew. This could get quite bad.

Osem 30-10-2017 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35922519)
Lots of questions about these 30 or MPs and when May knew. This could get quite bad.

This could get bad for a whole lot of people. Very few people seem to have come out of this with much credit to be honest.

Damien 31-10-2017 08:59

Six minsters are somehow implicated apparently.

Mr K 31-10-2017 10:03

As suggested in post #47, it really is time the title of this thread is changed.

denphone 31-10-2017 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35922622)
As suggested in post #47, it really is time the title of this thread is changed.

Something like sexual misconduct harassment and allegations Mr K l would say but its up to the mods at the end of the day if they want to give the thread a more descriptive title..

papa smurf 31-10-2017 10:10

labour voters twitching are they ;)

denphone 31-10-2017 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922625)

Nothing to do with ones political persuasion papa as this is far more important then political tribalism..

Mr K 31-10-2017 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922625)

Wouldn't know Smurf, I'm not one of them ;) However the squeaky bum time now seems to be on the other side of the house.

Mick 31-10-2017 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35922628)
Wouldn't know Smurf, I'm not one of them ;) However the squeaky bum time now seems to be on the other side of the house.

As Den has said, and I agree with him, no party comes out clean.

Osem 31-10-2017 12:33

And what happened to that Labour name John Mann was supposed to be revealing? Are we going to be told who it is, what he is supposed to have done and what action is being taken?

Quote:

John Mann‏Verified account @JohnMannMP Oct 19
More
I will be naming a Labour MP who behaved appalling towards a young woman to the chief whip and leader Why was her complaint ignored before?
148 replies 410 retweets 471 likes
Reply 148 Retweet 410 Like 471
John Mann‏Verified account @JohnMannMP Oct 19
More
Stony silence when I raised inappropriate behaviour and worse by MPs at the Parliamentary Labour Party. ALL parties having been covering up.
25 replies 88 retweets 90 likes
Reply 25 Retweet 88 Like 90
https://twitter.com/johnmannmp?lang=en

papa smurf 31-10-2017 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35922630)
As Den has said, and I agree with him, no party comes out clean.

i hope the greens come out clean they seem to only have one mp :D

heero_yuy 31-10-2017 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922661)
i hope the greens come out clean they seem to only have one mp :D

If she turns out to be a bad'un then that 100% of the party.;)

1andrew1 31-10-2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922626)
Nothing to do with ones political persuasion papa as this is far more important then political tribalism..

Agreed. It's a societal issue. As the revelations in the film industry have demonstrated , it's not confined to one area of work.

Damien 31-10-2017 17:05

Labour HQ encouraged a activist not to pursue a rape allegation: https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/925407047411290114

I might change this thread to Westminster Sex Allegations or something soon.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Here is the full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41821671

denphone 31-10-2017 17:15

Absolutely shocking and l have no doubt this is just the tip of the iceberg.

1andrew1 31-10-2017 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35922698)

That's a good idea but I have seen the term "Pestminster" being bandied around as well.

TheDaddy 31-10-2017 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35922708)
That's a good idea but I have seen the term "Pestminster" being bandied around as well.

Sexminster might be better...

Paul 31-10-2017 21:25

or Westminster Witch-hunt .

Osem 01-11-2017 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35922740)
or Westminster Witch-hunt .

The witch hunt won't just be at Westminster either. Allegations must be taken seriously but what we can't have is people's lives and careers being ruined without any real foundation and that's already happened as a result of the fallout from the Savile episode, just ask people like Tony Blackburn.

Mick 01-11-2017 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35922698)

I’ve done this, now it’s been established this is a cross party issue.

Damien 01-11-2017 11:17

Re: Westminster and Sexual Allegations

:tu:

Mr K 01-11-2017 13:39

Re: Westminster and Sexual Allegations

What is this obsession politicians have with touching people's knees ? They've never done anything for me..... Each to their own I guess, but they are a weird bunch.

(Top marks on the change of thread title btw Mick ;) )

Osem 01-11-2017 19:10

Re: Westminster Sexual Allegations

Now Michael White is in the firing line for comments on female journalists who use their sexuality to their advantage:

https://order-order.com/2017/11/01/g...cks-predators/

He's right, some do but that isn't the same as blaming all young women for the actions of men in positions of power who abuse their status. That however is how his comments are being presented by some.

We need to get real here and accept that whilst their are many men who've used their power, status and wealth to influence young women (and men) in an abusive manner there are some women who've done the same in reverse. They've used their sexuality to influence men to get what they want. The only difference is that the older men deluded themselves that they were attractive and desired whereas the relatively young victims of people like Weinstein largely felt intimidated into acting in a certain way.

SnoopZ 01-11-2017 19:54

I've not been following this thread so i am not sure if this is related to anything in this thread.

Michael Fallon resigns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41838682

Osem 01-11-2017 20:10

It's very related and probably the right course of action. Let's see who else follows.

Damien 01-11-2017 20:12

Almost certainly something else coming, The Sun were clearly ramping up to something.

denphone 01-11-2017 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922832)
It's very related and probably the right course of action. Let's see who else follows.

Indeed the coming next few days one suspects will reveal even more.

Osem 02-11-2017 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922834)
Indeed the coming next few days one suspects will reveal even more.

Sooner or later:

Quote:

Worth reminding everyone that sexual harassment is not a party political issue – it happens in all parties at Westminster with no exception. Labour has so far succeeded in preventing the names of any of its alleged sex pests from coming out. This is the astonishingly dark litany of abuse claims against Labour MPs and officials made over the last few days:
https://order-order.com/2017/11/02/f...-up-by-labour/

Mind you the source can't be trusted at all because they've entirely overlooked all the allegations being made against the Tories... :rolleyes:

papa smurf 02-11-2017 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35922907)
Sooner or later:

https://order-order.com/2017/11/02/f...-up-by-labour/

Mind you the source can't be trusted at all because they've entirely overlooked all the allegations being made against the Tories... :rolleyes:

i wonder which party will be revealed as having the most hands on members ?

denphone 02-11-2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922919)

The main thing is to investigate the sexual allegations and find out whether they are true thus what party they are from is pretty immaterial as this is a matter that is more important then what political party they belong to.

papa smurf 02-11-2017 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35922921)
The main thing is to investigate the sexual allegations and find out whether they are true thus what party they are from is pretty immaterial as this is a matter that is more important then what political party they belong to.

this could have the potential to destroy a political party so it is very material given it's happening in Westminster

richard s 02-11-2017 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922919)

That would be the Tory's... no surprise there then.

papa smurf 02-11-2017 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35922985)
That would be the Tory's... no surprise there then.

no it's definitely labour

Osem 02-11-2017 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35922987)
no it's definitely labour

Still waiting for their names to come out eh. Odd how some people don't seem to be too concerned about this. Laura Kuenssberg has been on the receiving end of nasty lefty trolls who actually reckon she's defending the Tories. :rolleyes:

Maggy 02-11-2017 21:17

I suspect this covers all flavours of ideology..and has little to do with sex but a lot about power.

Osem 02-11-2017 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35923023)
I suspect this covers all flavours of ideology..and has little to do with sex but a lot about power.

That's clearly the case. The abuse of people who're vulnerable in some way (regardless of sex) by those who have power has been going on since civilisation began. The thing these people have in common is mindset and opportunity but some are clearly far far worse than others and we all need to remember that.

And now we have a Labour suspension:

Quote:

abour has suspended Luton North MP Kelvin Hopkins after an allegation, believed to be of sexual harassment, was received by the party.
The party has not given any details of the nature of the claims but the BBC understands it relates to an incident first reported a couple of years ago.
Mr Hopkins has had the whip withdrawn while an investigation takes place.
A party spokesman said Labour "takes all such complaints extremely seriously and has robust procedures in place".
The backbencher - who was shadow culture secretary between July and October 2016 and has been Luton North MP for 20 years - could not be reached for comment.
Labour sources say a complaint of sexual harassment was made against Mr Hopkins a couple of years ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853430

Damien 02-11-2017 22:32

The Tories really need to start suspending some of their MPs pending investigation along with all parties.

1andrew1 03-11-2017 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35923030)
The Tories really need to start suspending some of their MPs pending investigation along with all parties.

It's interesting. Theresa May was very much on the side of the victims originally and quite rightly so. The ruling party should be setting the moral high ground for the rest to follow but this is not happening. Does their slim majority mean that the party will be more reluctant to suspend MPs than the Labour Party?

papa smurf 03-11-2017 09:06

it might be better if allegations are backed up by evidence before anyone is suspended or even named it's far too easy to bandy about false allegations if no one is asking for proof .

Osem 03-11-2017 10:23

Or maybe they could do this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ded-party.html

papa smurf 03-11-2017 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35923066)

an allegation is not proof

Osem 03-11-2017 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35923083)
an allegation is not proof

Correct not much actual proof of anything yet but how can there be proof that someone slapped someone else's bum in a lift? God only knows how this will all be decided but that's why suspensions are in the offing right now not worse punishments.

Meanwhile it appears Corbyn new that a complaint had been made against Hopkins at the time he was promoted to the front bench.

Quote:

Ms Etemadzadeh told the BBC she believed that the Labour leader's office had been contacted about the complaint "and it was ignored".
"I'm very disillusioned because just a few months later I realised that Jeremy Corbyn promoted Kelvin Hopkins to the shadow cabinet, despite the fact that the leader's office was aware of this and they refused to act and that made me feel very powerless and isolated and alone."
She said she had gone back to the party this week and raised it again but was told she would have to make a complaint through a formal procedure, via its National Executive Committee.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41857136 .

If he wasn't aware of the full nature of the complaint against Hopkins why didn't he find out before promoting him?