Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Intempo Mode DAB radio problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705268)

Osem 14-08-2017 14:14

Intempo Mode DAB radio problem

Bit of a long shot we have a DAB radio which has recently started playing up and I'm wondering if it could be a simply problem to fix. What happens is that it will randomly cycle through the various modes (e.g. DAB - FM - Audio in etc.) for no apparent reason. The main controls are accessed via an illuminated membrane type panel (see images in post below) as opposed to individual buttons so it's impossible to feel if the mode button seems sticky or odd. Sometimes the problem happens immediately the set is turned on whilst on other occasions it'll play fine for an hour or so then start playing up.

It's not really usable as it is so I'd be happy to open it up and see what I can find but don't have much idea what to look for. Obviously if it's some sort of microprocessor fault or the control panel is a sealed unit I can't do anything about that but I'm wondering if it might be something simple that I can try to fix.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...hlight=intempo

TIA as always. :tu:

Chris 14-08-2017 15:30

Re: Intempo Mode DAB radio problem

As a guess, I'd say the switch has become sticky or loose and whether or not it plays up has something to do with the unit's temperature, which would cause gaps to expand or contract.

You have nothing to lose by taking it to bits.

Chris 14-08-2017 15:31

As a guess, I'd say the switch has become sticky or loose and whether or not it plays up has something to do with the unit's temperature, which would cause gaps to expand or contract.

You have nothing to lose by taking it to bits.

Osem 15-08-2017 09:07

Yes nothing to lose so I had a look at it and and finally managed to work out how to open it up in the absence of any visible screws on the exterior. It turns out that the entire flat panel on the front is simply glued in place onto a foam gasket so has to be prised off in order to get inside. I didn't remove the whole panel but did enough that I could see sufficiently and found a ribbon connector running into a circuit board which is fixed to the rear of the controls section of the panel. Before doing anything else I decided to push the ribbon connector in a little to see if a loose contact there could be causing the problem. The front panel forms the actual speaker and is vibrating constantly so I'm hoping the ribbon connector had just worked itself a little loose. So far it seems to have worked but it's very early days yet so I'm going to leave it on all day and see what happens. Will report back.

Osem 15-08-2017 12:41

Well it's been on all morning an so far no problems. Fingers crossed... :)

Osem 15-08-2017 17:00

Still going strong all day... Dare I claim a 'fix'? :)

Ken W 15-08-2017 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35912695)
Still going strong all day... Dare I claim a 'fix'? :)

Don't temp fate.

Osem 15-08-2017 18:05

Is that a vote of confidence in my technical prowess?... ;)

Something's definitely improved - the control touch panel is much more responsive than I remember it being for a very long time. It often used to take several attempts to select a new function and now it's all working first time.

Taf 15-08-2017 18:53

That is why you often see ribbon cables secured with a blob of silicone.

Osem 16-08-2017 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35912722)
That is why you often see ribbon cables secured with a blob of silicone.

No silicone evident here so maybe that was the cause of the problem. Anyway I'm officially declaring a fix because the radio hasn't missed a beat since I opened it up. :)