Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 connection to Router (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704333)

JackSon 21-01-2017 21:34

V6 connection to Router

I feel I am perhaps being an idiot here, but I am unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion after reading up on the subject - so if you may indulge me.

Is the V6 box capable of WiFi connection to the SHub2? I note that the VM blurb on their website makes specific mention of the install of the V6 being done close to the modem and using an Ethernet cable; and doesn't really mention (as far as I can see) any WiFI alternative.

BenMcr 21-01-2017 21:44

Re: V6 connection to Router

The preferred install is with a wired connection, however WiFi is possible if you can't do a wired option.

WiFi can be variable due to each your house construction and other factors, so there isn't an guarantee that it'll work, though some people on here have had no issues connecting the V6 via WiFi.

JackSon 22-01-2017 14:58

Thanks Ben!

Fortunately, the TivO and the Router are both in the same room, albeit opposite sides of an archway, so they are only 3 metres apart. I just don't want to have to reconfigure the room to snake around a cable if I can avoid it. Sounds like it should be ok.

Mad Max 23-01-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35881532)
The preferred install is with a wired connection, however WiFi is possible if you can't do a wired option.

WiFi can be variable due to each your house construction and other factors, so there isn't an guarantee that it'll work, though some people on here have had no issues connecting the V6 via WiFi.

Hi Ben, would the engineer be able to use the already connected cable that goes to my TiVo, on the V6?

Thx

BenMcr 23-01-2017 15:00

If you've already wired your TiVo up to the Hub using Ethernet then yes.

With the V6 box you need a seperate network connection to the coax.

Mad Max 23-01-2017 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35881789)
If you've already wired your TiVo up to the Hub using Ethernet then yes.

With the V6 box you need a seperate network connection to the coax.

My TiVo isn't connected directly to the shub, it's connected from a box under my floor, the shub has its own separate connection from the same box/adapter

BenMcr 23-01-2017 15:25

So you'll need the additional direct connection for the V6 then. Either via Ethernet, Powerline or WiFi.

Mad Max 23-01-2017 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35881791)
So you'll need the additional direct connection for the V6 then. Either via Ethernet, Powerline or WiFi.

Ok, thanks for your help Ben.

Mad Max 23-01-2017 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35881791)

Just one thing Ben, why can't the cable that goes to my TiVo not be any use for the V6, isn't the TiVo connection something like 10Mb?

BenMcr 24-01-2017 09:45

Because the V6 doesn't have a built in modem like the current TiVo does.

Even if it had done, you'd still have needed to connect it to the home network to stream recordings to the TVA app or to another box in the home.

Mad Max 24-01-2017 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35881912)
Because the V6 doesn't have a built in modem like the current TiVo does.

Even if it had done, you'd still have needed to connect it to the home network to stream recordings to the TVA app or to another box in the home.

Ah ok, thanks for that Ben.