Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Microsoft Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Xbox One Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33693514)

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 17:40

The Xbox One Thread

Microsoft will soon be revealing the next Xbox at 6PM GMT.

I am hoping it doesn't drag on like the Sony reveal and i would like to see what the console actually looks like tonight.

Anybody else going to be watching this?

You can catch it live here and hopefully it will be watchable!

http://www.neowin.net/news/watch-the...ive-right-here

Dave42 21-05-2013 17:53

re: The Xbox One Thread

official link from Microsoft

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal

cimt 21-05-2013 17:56

You can also watch it on the dashboard but if I remember correctly then the streams in the past haven't been the best.

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35574220)
official link from Microsoft

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal

Your link is better. :)

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:13

WTF its the 3rd device yet they call it One I do not get product naming at all

MadGamer 21-05-2013 18:16

I'm getting one :D

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 18:19

I will getting it too.

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:19

Liking some of the features so far. The snap looks nice as does watch TV I am wondering if there is a HDMI in and if it pass throughs audio correctly

MadGamer 21-05-2013 18:21

Are they likely to announce a release date here, or E3?

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:26

HDMI In/Out interesting windows kernel another interesting point that means better games for PCs surely? 8 gig of ram nice too

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 18:27

500GB HDD a good size for a console, hope it can be expanded easily.

thenry 21-05-2013 18:28

what does it look like? im on my phone cannot see stream :(

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35574253)
what does it look like? im on my phone cannot see stream :(

No curves all right angle corners and black.

The controller looks very similar to the existing 1, and it looks like i will be talking to my TV to change channels! lol

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:34

All I am interested in now is cost if its silly I aint interested lol

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 18:36

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/at...1&d=1369157767

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35574258)
All I am interested in now is cost if its silly I aint interested lol

My guess is £400-500 hopefully we don't have to pay for alot of addons.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

This kind of reminds me of 1 of the first video recorders, i really hope it isn't as big!

May need an Xbox One Slim! lol

Uncle Peter 21-05-2013 18:41

We want Forza... Show us the goods!

thenry 21-05-2013 18:42

thanks i like the look of it

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35574260)
My guess is £400-500 hopefully we don't have to pay for alot of addons.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

This kind of reminds me of 1 of the first video recorders, i really hope it isn't as big!

May need an Xbox One Slim! lol

£299 loss leader to get buyers I reckon

adzii_nufc 21-05-2013 18:45

Forza 5 will launch beside the console, I said either PGR5 or Forza would be the launch title :D

seen the TV crap now, get on with it -_-

nstokes 21-05-2013 18:52

I think the TV bit and guide will be for USA as IPTV. Looks good. Not sure if i want this or PS4

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35574270)
I think the TV bit and guide will be for USA as IPTV. Looks good. Not sure if i want this or PS4

I did see HDMI in as well as out on the specs . IAs you say the guide and that will not work but the switching will be available etc

nstokes 21-05-2013 18:55

I didnt get to see the specs to much. Can someone post them

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 18:57

it was just a quick look they gave live

and what a tease no release date just later this year lmao

nstokes 21-05-2013 18:58

Got a link now http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4350322/xbox-one-specs

Hom3r 21-05-2013 18:59

Thanks cm I'm spending more time buffering on 120 than a friend on 30 who isn't

nstokes 21-05-2013 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35574275)
Thanks cm I'm spending more time buffering on 120 than a friend on 30 who isn't

Ive had quite a bit as well

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

I want COD:Ghosts. I hope its the same level on detail on 360 and PS4

tizmeinnit 21-05-2013 19:10

I think the good thing will be it will be as good on the PC. My Pc is capable of all the features they used to sell the One. I may buy it as a toy dependant on what it can do with a Tivo plugged in ( if in fact you can) my smart tv and amp work together well using ARC I wonder if the One can control the Tivo hmmmm

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 19:11

Anyone disappointed what they saw?

Uncle Peter 21-05-2013 19:11

Well that's an hour of my life I'm not going to get back.

nstokes 21-05-2013 19:32

Not backwards compatiable http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/434...tible-xbox-360

Tezcatlipoca 21-05-2013 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35574288)

Meh :(

v0id 21-05-2013 20:13

It's a silly name. I already have an Xbox 1

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 20:13

Pretty expected that was though, atleast it looks like i can sit my Xbox 360 on top of it easily.

Kabaal 21-05-2013 20:37

A "next gen games console" and all they could show was crap like very vague tech specs, TV capabilities that likely will only be useful for those in the US and CGI scenes instead of gameplay for the games. Bit of a waste of time.

Uncle Peter 21-05-2013 20:38

The last thing that looked like that in my lounge was chucked on a skip about 15 years ago. This folks, is what happens when you cobble something together on the cheap on the back of a fag packet but try to make out that it's going to take over the world (without GDDR5).

Let's all wave our arms around in front of the tv while watching NFL yay!

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 20:49

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35574307)
The last thing that looked like that in my lounge was chucked on a skip about 15 years ago. This folks, is what happens when you cobble something together on the cheap on the back of a fag packet but try to make out that it's going to take over the world (without GDDR5).

Let's all wave our arms around in front of the tv while watching NFL yay!

I take it you didn't like it then! lol

Personally i thought it great. :)

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Looking at other photos of the box though it does look very old fashioned.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...slideid-138539

Dave42 21-05-2013 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35574305)
A "next gen games console" and all they could show was crap like very vague tech specs, TV capabilities that likely will only be useful for those in the US and CGI scenes instead of gameplay for the games. Bit of a waste of time.

more will be reaveled at e3 next month be more games then

v0id 21-05-2013 20:58

Call of Duty Ghosts... Ripping off Tom Clancy much?

nstokes 21-05-2013 21:03

More specs and pics here http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/x...are-and-specs/

Uncle Peter 21-05-2013 21:04

Call of Duty we ran out of ideas 3 years go volume 4

I wonder if they will have DLC dogs like huskies and poodles

MadGamer 21-05-2013 21:22

I take it because it has wi fi direct, that means it will connect to a router wirelessly too, apart from being just for the controller communication?

Jameseh 21-05-2013 21:27

It requires Kinect so I'm out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35574323)
I take it because it has wi fi direct, that means it will connect to a router wirelessly too, apart from being just for the controller communication?

Because it has WiFi Direct you can send music/video/photo to it directly (from a phone, laptop, etc) rather than it first going through the router. All WiFi devices can connect to a router.

thenry 21-05-2013 21:33

any chance of mods running on games like on PC games?

MadGamer 21-05-2013 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35574324)

Because it has WiFi Direct you can send music/video/photo to it directly (from a phone, laptop, etc) rather than it first going through the router. All WiFi devices can connect to a router.

ah cool thanks :)

Stephen 21-05-2013 21:59

I really liked what I saw. A lot more info and features than at the PS4 reveal.

Microsoft have waited and taken note of What Sony did wrong and got it right and what the PS4 did and made it way better.

No Back compatability doesn't bother me really. Its a totally new CPU architecture. From Power PC based to x86.

I will be purchasing one.

MadGamer 21-05-2013 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35574330)
I really liked what I saw. A lot more info and features than at the PS4 reveal.

Microsoft have waited and taken note of What Sony did wrong and got it right and what the PS4 did and made it way better.

No Back compatability doesn't bother me really. Its a totally new CPU architecture. From Power PC based to x86.

I will be purchasing one.

So will I, may even let my dad have a go :D

SnoopZ 21-05-2013 22:04

I bet the tv features wont work in the uk, other than changing to 1 selected tv channel. Would love to be proved wrong.

Uncle Peter 21-05-2013 22:33

Anyone trade-in / play used games? Looks like you'll be paying for it according to Phil Harrison

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-a-fee-to-play

Zee 22-05-2013 00:48

it looks like a VCR, not impressed with its look at all

Tezcatlipoca 22-05-2013 01:00

I found this more interesting than the "#XboxReveal" itself... Perhaps the lack of "CHECK OUT ALL THESE SPORTS GAMES! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!" meant I wasn't put off like I was when I watched the reveal earlier.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/

There's also an FAQ at Xbox.com:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

After my initial disappointment (again, probably due to the above mentioned sport focus and the general American whooping at everything), I'm starting to be quite interested in it again.

I know that I *will* buy both an Xbox One and a PS4 at some point, just as I bought both an Xbox 360 and PS3 during this current generation (and also a Wii, but, well, whatever...), as there will be exclusives on both platforms that I would like to play.

The question for me, is which one will I buy first?

Price and release date are of course important, but I'm quite curious to see what both sides have to show at E3 in June...

Oh, and regarding backwards compatibility...

Before the reveal, one of the many rumours was regarding an "Xbox Mini":

A very small Xbox 360 without an optical drive, which would therefore play downloaded games only, and which would be aimed at the Apple TV kind of area.

One particular feature it was alleged to have was that you could connect it to the next Xbox and that it would then enable you to play 360 games on the next Xbox, with the next Xbox handling reading the game DVD, the Xbox Mini then handling the game itself due to actually being a 360, and the next Xbox then pumping out the video/audio to your TV over HDMI.

See, my issue when people ask "Why don't you just keep your 360? You don't need to bin/sell it just because you're getting a next-gen Xbox!" is one of space and connections. I don't have the connections for an Xbox One *and* a 360, and I don't have the physical space for both (especially given how much of a monster the Xbox One has turned out to be!). An "Xbox Mini" would solve those issues, though. Connections would be no problem, as the Mini would be routed via the Xbox One. Size would be no problem because the alleged point of the Mini is to be... mini.

OK, still all unconfirmed rumour, of course... But a sizeable chunk of the other leaks have turned out to be true...

If it does happen (and there's plenty of time - this reveal was only supposed to be for the new Xbox), I'd be willing to buy a Mini too if it was cheap enough. Then I could sell my 360, but still be able to re-play Halo and Mass Effect etc...

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was at 00:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35574324)

Why?

Just because it comes with Kinect, doesn't mean that every game is going to be some crappy casual dance game.

Kinect will be used for controlling the system itself, not just gestures but also voice. What's wrong with that? :confused:

If it is a space issue, then don't worry - the increased camera resolution and other improvements apparently mean it the field is larger by 60% and it can handle much smaller play areas than the original Kinect.

colin25 22-05-2013 05:41

I suspect I will get the xbox, though waiting to see the price.

I did buy the xbox 360 and the ps3, but to be honest, the ps3 sits there collecting dust (I don't have time to play both)

i prefer the xbox controller, so happy that isn't changing (always flet the ps3 controller was flimsy, but that is just me)

MalteseFalcon 22-05-2013 09:55

Only thing putting me off this game is the way people will be penalised for buying second hand games. I only buy them second hand, very rarely buy them new on release, so having to pay twice sucks.

Maybe people buy second hand because they can't afford to buy it on release? Until that changes, I'm not upgrading. And if they stop making games for the 360 then I will sell it and move to PS.

Jameseh 22-05-2013 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35574359)
Why?

Just because it comes with Kinect, doesn't mean that every game is going to be some crappy casual dance game.

Kinect will be used for controlling the system itself, not just gestures but also voice. What's wrong with that? :confused:

If it is a space issue, then don't worry - the increased camera resolution and other improvements apparently mean it the field is larger by 60% and it can handle much smaller play areas than the original Kinect.

Because the new Kinect is always listening (I wouldn't be surprised if it was always watching too) even when the Xbox is off. Me and my tinfoil hat also don't buy Android phones because the app permissions are invasive.

I want to play games not participate in Big Brother.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35574385)
Maybe people buy second hand because they can't afford to buy it on release? Until that changes, I'm not upgrading. And if they stop making games for the 360 then I will sell it and move to PS.

Just wait a month or two after launch, I haven't paid more than £25 for a new game for a long time. Doesn't work for CoD or FIFA but both are usually discounted by the supermarkets fighting on launch day.

Harryn9000 22-05-2013 11:48

i'm looking forward to it but i'm holding out till e3 see what happens on game front. ps4 doesn't appeal to me one bit it only just caught up to xbox with voice chat and all those games don't appeal to me

adzii_nufc 22-05-2013 13:08

Just to clear things up here.

Neither Microsoft or Sony have announced any block on pre-owned games.
Neither console has announced an always online requirement.
The Xbox tv system will likely pair up with both Sky and Virgin media, so essentially it would be just Sky Player/ VM player and be controlled via Kinect and so both players will integrate into the Xbox guide system.

The only second hand block on games was provided by EA games and THQ. Neither of these currently implement this system any more.

I feel like the Xbox is already light years ahead of the PS4. It's been aimed at all audiences and has been received really well. Examples being, TV system and OS of the Xbox One allows so many unique things aimed at family entertainment or as you seen, fantasy team and stuff like that. Xbox controller is clearly aimed at being similar to a Scuf controller which are must have controllers for fanboy's and competitive gamers alike and whilst it is just a controller I assure you it will be a huge selling point. So you have both the entertainment value and the hardcore gaming experience. Name isn't too bad when you consider it's an all in one console.

I'll buy both the PS4 and Xbox just to get a feel but I'm swinging Xbox already and I feel Sony could be in real trouble at E3 if all they have to offer are exclusives. But hey they haven't shown off the full console yet, they could always add a microwave to it in an attempt to compete. Sony got left behind with the PS3 and they're in serious trouble of getting left further behind this time. Before the sales argument comes in, yes Sony shipped about 3 million more units than the Xbox 360, that's great but that's just the console. Factor in Xbox live subscriptions, Kinect and Xbox exclusives then tally the numbers and it's a landslide in favour of Microsoft.

I neglected to mention the way Activision and EA are aligning themselves with Microsoft, that was visually clear at the reveal but it means Xbox will continue to receive Call of Duty content first and EA mentioned something exclusively for the Xbox, both parties released massive selling games last year.

Uncle Peter 22-05-2013 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35574419)
Neither Microsoft or Sony have announced any block on pre-owned games.

As long as you pay Microsoft for them.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game. The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play." - Phil Harrison

This is where Sony have been very crafty. They were very vague about DRM, or "digital permissions" as Microsoft refer to it. I expect they will probably implement the same type of system but for now only MS have shown their hand, tinfoil helmets at the ready. This nothing new of course as it's part and parcel of digital distribution in the PC gaming world but it's going to anger and marginalise a lot of core, console gamers.

SnoopZ 22-05-2013 20:09

Not sure how accurate this is but you can preorder the Xbox One for £399.99 for a release date of 30th November 2013.

Games set to be £50 each. :rolleyes:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-on...y-uk-retailers

Tezcatlipoca 22-05-2013 20:14

Placeholder prices, placeholder date...

v0id 22-05-2013 20:14

Oh, I just noticed that the new Xbox (I'm refusing to call it by that stupid name) doesn't come with a compnent or composite connection.

Well, that rules me out. My main TV set isn't HD :(

SnoopZ 22-05-2013 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35574620)
Oh, I just noticed that the new Xbox (I'm refusing to call it by that stupid name) doesn't come with a compnent or composite connection.

Time to buy an HD TV me thinks as you're missing out. :)

Tezcatlipoca 22-05-2013 20:59

Indeed! :)

They're cheap, and well worth having if still stuck with an old TV.

SnoopZ 22-05-2013 21:16

I may end up buying the PS4 this time around along with the X1 if the reports are correct about its 50% more power, although more power doesn't always mean a better console.

My only gripe with the PS4 is i really don't like the PS controller compared to the Xbox one.

adzii_nufc 23-05-2013 00:28

As harsh as it sounds but there's little point to using these consoles if it's not in HD, I started on the 360 on the standard AV cable on a standard def TV and thought nothing of it until I got a HDTV and nearly had a fit when I seen what I was missing out. I felt like an idiot for not realizing it was so much better at first.

Microsoft are aiming towards something I've wanted for a very long time!

An online store that allows you to trade in digital games for other/discounts off other games. I've wanted it for steam for a long time but MS have picked the ball up. I simply don't care about DRM, the only games I buy I intend to keep so I'll have no discs at all and be going for full digi console and if I do decide I no longer want the game, it's not stuck on my HDD forever.

Tezcatlipoca 23-05-2013 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35574673)
I may end up buying the PS4 this time around along with the X1 if the reports are correct about its 50% more power, although more power doesn't always mean a better console.

My only gripe with the PS4 is i really don't like the PS controller compared to the Xbox one.

Digital Foundry on the Xbox One's specs: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...lysis-xbox-one

I hate the PlayStation controllers... I think the DS3 is *awful*. It's too lightweight, and the triggers are a joke. Hell, the triggers are so bad that developers always seem to use the shoulder buttons instead.

I will be buying both consoles, however, as both will have exclusives I'd be interested in... although I won't buy both at the same time.

I think I will probably do what i did last time and buy the Xbox first, and the PlayStation later. [And the Wii U can get stuffed.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35574785)
As harsh as it sounds but there's little point to using these consoles if it's not in HD, I started on the 360 on the standard AV cable on a standard def TV and thought nothing of it until I got a HDTV and nearly had a fit when I seen what I was missing out. I felt like an idiot for not realizing it was so much better at first.

Microsoft are aiming towards something I've wanted for a very long time!

An online store that allows you to trade in digital games for other/discounts off other games. I've wanted it for steam for a long time but MS have picked the ball up. I simply don't care about DRM, the only games I buy I intend to keep so I'll have no discs at all and be going for full digi console and if I do decide I no longer want the game, it's not stuck on my HDD forever.

Yeah, it was such a jump going from an SD CRT TV to an HDTV! :)

As for the game activation and pre-owned situation... I'm not that fussed, myself.

I do think that MS really screwed up though with the reveal. They should have addressed the main rumours head-on (always online, BC, pre-owned games) during the reveal, instead of relying on various people to give conflicting information in interviews afterwards.

colin25 23-05-2013 05:50

It seems to mention a monthly fee for online gaming.

Is this to replace the yearly (circa £40) fee to play on xbox live?

Damien 23-05-2013 08:37

So far I am leaning towards the PS4 just because it seems the Xbox isn't as focused on games. The impression I got from the reveal was very much that gaming was merely one aspect of the One with TV being equally as important a focus, a TV functionality that will not work properly in the UK in all likelihood.

The PS4 presentation did talk a lot more about games and it seems at the moment that PS4 will, like the PS3, continue to attract exclusive innovative games (Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Journey). In fact Sony went as far to have the developer of Briad join them for the first unveiling of the console! One of the surprising successes of the PS3 were these types of games and now it seems Sony is actively encouraging those developers to the extent they're getting pre-release access to the development tools! I also cannot wait to see what quantic dream do with the PS4. It could be huge.

Obviously this can change and press conferences aren't everything. However we can try as discern their approach for this generation and Microsoft talked about TV and had Steven Spielberg talk. Sony talked about games and had independent developers talk. This bodes well for the PS4 in my view.

cimt 23-05-2013 08:47

I watched an interview yesterday and the interviewee referred to it as an entertainment system and not a games console. If you look back at the Xbox and the 360 then this seems like it was always part of their plan.

nstokes 23-05-2013 13:41

Just pre ordered Xbox One and COD:Ghosts to go with it as well :D

Kabaal 23-05-2013 14:20

Gotta love EA and their BS, according to them the PS4 and XBOX One are "a generation ahead of the most powerful PC currently available on the market". How they can get away with such blatant lies is beyond me.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-...s-355375.shtml

v0id 23-05-2013 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35574785)

You have better eyes than I. I can't tell all but the very slightest bit of differences between HD and SD.

colin25 23-05-2013 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35574960)
You have better eyes than I. I can't tell all but the very slightest bit of differences between HD and SD.

chalk and cheese.

I remember playing call of duty (can't remember which) on SD and the map was twilight zone (eqypt) but i could see nothing, but when I switched to HD, it was totally different.

If you want to see difference, watch sport, always a good comparison

idi banashapan 23-05-2013 17:24

xbox one seems like nothing more than a locked down PC in a small case. people going on about how you can take a skype call and play a game at the same time. and all this on a 32bit machine with only 8GB RAM.

i dunno, maybe I've always missed the point in consoles. I suppose if you're 15 and still live at home with only your bedroom to claim as your own, it makes sense. but as an adult, there's surely no need for it? don't get me wrong, when I was living at home, I too had the master system and mega drive and a Playstation. but once I moved out and got a job, it's always been PCs.

cimt 23-05-2013 17:28

Microsoft ain't calling this a console. To them it's an entertainment system.

adzii_nufc 23-05-2013 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35574960)

My first experience was way back when Rainbow Six Vegas was released and in online Multiplayer you had ranks but they couldn't be made out properly in SD :(

When switching to HD these ranks became much sharper and more visible as did the whole game in fairness.

Quote:

@PaulMitchell80 We can confirm that the article stating Xbox One will charge fees to play used games is NOT correct. ^PJ
Article in question is http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-and-red-rings

Stephen 23-05-2013 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by idi banashapan (Post 35574989)
xbox one seems like nothing more than a locked down PC in a small case. people going on about how you can take a skype call and play a game at the same time. and all this on a 32bit machine with only 8GB RAM.

i dunno, maybe I've always missed the point in consoles. I suppose if you're 15 and still live at home with only your bedroom to claim as your own, it makes sense. but as an adult, there's surely no need for it? don't get me wrong, when I was living at home, I too had the master system and mega drive and a Playstation. but once I moved out and got a job, it's always been PCs.

What a stereotype!

I am 32 and still play games on Consoles. I have a 360, PS3 and a Wii U.

I don't live at home I live with my Fiancee and game in the Living Room, and also game on a Macbook Pro and an iPad.

When I did live at home I also had a PC to game on, I built it myself.

Console gaming is and always will be easier than PC gaming. Thats the convenience, you buy the console and just put the games in and play. For many people its cheaper and a lot quicker than buying/building a PC which you may need to upgrade or tweak to get the best performance.

idi banashapan 23-05-2013 21:05

each to their own I suppose. I just think that, especially the Xbox One anyway, is just a cheap PC in a small box. personally, i'd rather pay a little more and get a good pc I could upgrade parts on whenever and do lots of other stuff on faster.

and I wasn't stereotyping. i did not say that all console players were 15 and living at home. I said that IF you are 15 it makes more sense as you will only have one small room to put everything you own in. in addition to that, your parents will probably already own a pc you can use when you need it. please do not twist or confuse my words.

SnoopZ 23-05-2013 21:21

I am 45 and i only game on a console currently, it is far cheaper and far more convenient to sit on the sofa and play on a big screen.

I would say most 15 year olds have a computer of some sort and a console as they wouldn't take up much space, but each to their own.

You did make it sound like only teenagers use a console in your post. lol

idi banashapan 23-05-2013 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35575112)
I am 45 and i only game on a console currently, it is far cheaper and far more convenient to sit on the sofa and play on a big screen.

I would say most 15 year olds have a computer of some sort and a console as they wouldn't take up much space, but each to there own.

You did make it sound like only teenagers use a console in your post. lol

which is fine. I'm 34 and I can plug my PC into the tv anytime too.

like I said, each to their own.

v0id 23-05-2013 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35575103)

Console gaming is and always will be easier than PC gaming. Thats the convenience, you buy the console and just put the games in and play..

That's just it though, rumours suggest that you won't be able to do that with the new Xbox.
You will have to install the game to the HDD before you can play it ;)

Tezcatlipoca 23-05-2013 21:39

Quote:

64bit (x86-64), not 32bit.

The Xbox One and the PS4 both use a semi-custom AMD Jaguar 64bit 8-core APU. Spec-wise the PS4 does seem to have an edge, though, as its graphics core apparently has 18 compute units compared to the 12 compute units found in the Xbox One's graphics core, along with the PS4 having 8GB of GDDR5 compared to the Xbox One's 8GB of DDR3.

I don't think that you can really apply PC RAM usage or requirements to either console, though - they may have "PC style" specs because of the architecture, but as they are consoles they are built to a fixed spec with a cut-down OS optimised for that fixed spec.

Quote:

I'm 35, and live with my wife... I currently have a 360 and PS3, and had various consoles before those.

I've never been very fond of PC gaming.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35575115)
That's just it though, rumours suggest that you won't be able to do that with the new Xbox.

... Although you don't need to wait for the installation to finish before playing.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xboxone/what-it-is

Quote:

Play without the wait.

With Xbox One, you can start playing immediately as games install. And updates install seamlessly in the background, so your games and entertainment won’t be interrupted.

Kabaal 23-05-2013 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35575112)

No different than i do but with a PC really. DVI lead goes to the monitor and HDMI in the TV where the games are played and media streamed to. Wireless XBOX controller for PC is used for the games and remote control for media through XBMC. I rarely even sit down at the PC these days other than for the odd FPS game simply because KB+mouse is better for them.

I might have been swayed by one of the new consoles if i hadn't already upgraded the PC last year as they do sound close to a replacement, but with build i have now by the time it needed upgrading again in a few years the new consoles will probably look like crap.

Stephen 23-05-2013 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35575115)

It's not a rumour. At the reveal it was announced that's games will auto install but you can still play while that's done.

cimt 23-05-2013 23:44

Looks like the first box art has been revealed.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2013/05/15.jpg

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/2...?+main+twitter

I actually like how plain it is.

colin25 24-05-2013 02:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35575103)
What a stereotype!

I am 32 and still play games on Consoles. I have a 360, PS3 and a Wii U.

I don't live at home I live with my Fiancee and game in the Living Room, and also game on a Macbook Pro and an iPad.

When I did live at home I also had a PC to game on, I built it myself.

Console gaming is and always will be easier than PC gaming. Thats the convenience, you buy the console and just put the games in and play. For many people its cheaper and a lot quicker than buying/building a PC which you may need to upgrade or tweak to get the best performance.

I agree..I am cough cough....I prefer to have something i turn on and play that is dedicated to my gaming time.

pabscars 24-05-2013 10:39

1 Attachment(s)
My 2 penneth for what it's worth, regarding the design (I'm easily pleased) I don't really give a monkeys what it looks like, it's how it functions as a games console that matters, how smooth and responsive games play, how laggy it is and of course how much.

I'm a bit gutted it's not backwards compatible as I and a large portion of my friends still play games from 2006 even to this day so I would have to keep my 360 under my TV which I don't have spare space for at the minute.

For me this new Xbox 1 is long overdue, us console gamers needed something new to sink our teeth into and thankfully it's on it's way. I won't be buying one on release day, I will hang fire for a few months and see what the reviews are like, and how well it copes with getting rid of the heat, remember the red ring of death ;).

Re: the controller, I'm one of a select few who actually prefer the PS3 layout over the 360 but that's just a personal taste issue. I still find comms and online multiplayer via xbox far superior to the PS3 and a few exclusives wont be enough to tempt me to buy a PS4 unfortunately.

Ive just modded my 360 controller to use the domed (convex not concave) thumb sticks like the ps3's and I get a loss less thumb fatigue and improved grip when playing FPS games, looks like the thumb sticks are slightly improved on the new xbox 1 controller which is welcomed but time will tell if they are an improvement or not. The kinect I have to say looks pretty bulky imo so not quite sure If I'd want that located on top of my TV but it's no real biggy.

Overall it gets my thumbs up

cimt 24-05-2013 10:54

I didn't realise people actually liked them thumb sticks. I thought it was peoples biggest gripe about the controller. I know when I used to play on my PS3 my thumbs had more chance of slipping because of they were convex.

nstokes 24-05-2013 11:47

Ive just pre ordered Forza 5 for X1. Got to find a way of being able to afford X1, Ghosts and Forza 5 now

MadGamer 24-05-2013 18:17

With the games installing to the hard drive, will we require the cd in the drive to still play them?

pabscars 24-05-2013 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35575412)
With the games installing to the hard drive, will we require the cd in the drive to still play them?

I'd say thats a given

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35575224)
I didn't realise people actually liked them thumb sticks. I thought it was peoples biggest gripe about the controller. I know when I used to play on my PS3 my thumbs had more chance of slipping because of they were convex.

Different strokes for different fokes cimt :)

MadGamer 24-05-2013 18:23

It's no big deal for me anyhow :)

SnoopZ 24-05-2013 18:35

Quote:

Probably, but i really hope we don't need the Bluray disk in the drive as it is a pain in the ass to swap around.

Stephen 24-05-2013 18:39

Quote:

No the Blu Ray disc will not be needed. This was confirmed. Also the game will be linked your your profile so you cant sell or lend our the game and still be able to play it.

SnoopZ 24-05-2013 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35575425)
No the Blu Ray disc will not be needed. This was confirmed. Also the game will be linked your your profile so you cant sell or lend our the game and still be able to play it.

I think it sucks that games are linked to a profile, so that would mean someone else in the household wouldn't be able to use the same game without possibly paying a fee?

Rumour also on the interwebs today is the activation fee for second hand games maybe £35!

I am seriously thinking of buying the PS4 if it had less restrictions now, especially as it is said to be upto 50% more powerful, i really am disappointed at the old VCR style of the Xboxone case.

It is a wait and see what happens next game for me.

colin25 24-05-2013 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35575426)
I think it sucks that games are linked to a profile, so that would mean someone else in the household wouldn't be able to use the same game without possibly paying a fee?

Rumour also on the interwebs today is the activation fee for second hand games maybe £35!

I am seriously thinking of buying the PS4 if it had less restrictions now, especially as it is said to be upto 50% more powerful, i really am disappointed at the old VCR style of the Xboxone case.

It is a wait and see what happens next game for me.

Will they buy our second hand games from us? As trade ins?

SnoopZ 24-05-2013 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35575429)
Will they buy our second hand games from us? As trade ins?

The story(possible rumour) hitting the web today is this.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...ame-sales.html

MadGamer 24-05-2013 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35575425)

I'm confused by this. If I wanted to sell a game, wouldn't I just delete it from the consoles HDD and then sell the game or trade it in?

Hom3r 24-05-2013 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35574620)

I don't think its a stupid name, I have a HTC One.:D

SnoopZ 24-05-2013 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35575434)
I'm confused by this. If I wanted to sell a game, wouldn't I just delete it from the consoles HDD and then sell the game or trade it in?

This may help.

Quote:

Games traded into a store will be entered into the system, wiping it from the consumer's account, which is reportedly why Xbox One consoles must connect to the internet every 24 hours.

While the retailer can then sell the game at a price of their choosing, the publisher and Microsoft will take a percentage of the second-hand sale.

A further report by ConsoleDeals suggests the cut for retailers would be as low as 10%, as opposed to profiting from the entire sale in the existing unregulated system.

Those who wish to use a second-hand game outside the system - like borrowing a game from a friend - will be charged a fee of £35, added the source.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...ame-sales.html

colin25 24-05-2013 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35575434)

i suspect the game will have a code. Microsoft will check it isn't on your account, when the retailer logs the game for resale, as they will have that game registered to your account.