Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M Gamer : Moving cable modem before "house move" (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705566)

dragon 23-10-2017 10:25

Moving cable modem before "house move"

If I was to move my cable modem before virgin media actually complete a house move their end what's the likelihood of it working and would It cause virgin any issues?

I know the new place was connected to the network at least until recently (previous occupant had VM)

I assume it would either work or be denied access to the network depending on if it falls under the same area or not (Same billing area, no idea if it's the same network area)

jb66 23-10-2017 11:00

Re: Moving cable modem before "house move"

Probably won't work. No harm trying I guess

nallar 24-10-2017 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 35921508)
If I was to move my cable modem before virgin media actually complete a house move their end what's the likelihood of it working and would It cause virgin any issues?

I know the new place was connected to the network at least until recently (previous occupant had VM)

I assume it would either work or be denied access to the network depending on if it falls under the same area or not (Same billing area, no idea if it's the same network area)

If on the same CMTS it'll work until the day you told VM the move takes place, then you'll need to get it activated again.

On a different CMTS probably won't work - haven't tried that.

dragon 26-10-2017 18:46

It will be a different CMTS, will also be interesting what they do about moving my package given they don't do 200M/Gamer any more and the new area doesn't have 300/350 available (only 12DS channels)

kalleh 27-10-2017 07:54

I'm guessing as long the account is still active it will work.

dragon 27-10-2017 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalleh (Post 35922030)
I'm guessing as long the account is still active it will work.

As long as it's not going to cause any issues for the network I'll probably just plug it in and if it connects great if it doesn't i'll just have to wait until virgin complete the house-move process.

dragon 27-10-2017 19:33

Apparently they're going to send me some kind of moving pack for a self install which actually I prefer as it saves making sure i'm in for the engineer.

jb66 27-10-2017 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragon (Post 35922127)
Apparently they're going to send me some kind of moving pack for a self install which actually I prefer as it saves making sure i'm in for the engineer.

It's just a wire to connect from iso to the hub

dragon 27-10-2017 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35922129)
It's just a wire to connect from iso to the hub

Presumably an appropriate splitter to install the Tivo box as well ;)