Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : All change for Sky Sports channels & packages? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704704)

Chad 05-04-2017 23:03

Re: All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893169)
Apparently:

- Cricket and golf will have their own dedicated channels in the same way as F1.

- Football to have two channels; one for Premier League and another for everything else.

- A cheaper sports package of about £18 per month to be introduced.

- At The Races to go HD and then be rebranded as Sky Sports Racing.

- Rugby will be bundled with other sports in a variety package.

- European club rugby rights expire in May 2018. It is not expected that Sky will retain them thereafter.

I heard this some time ago from a contact, but dismissed them as unfounded rumours, however, some of these 'rumours' have now appeared in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...gby-rough.html

Also, it's been revealed that Sky have been running confidential surveys mooting these changes to see what customers think of them.

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?[/QUOTE]

Seems to link in with this article from February:

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...ake-up/1424940

I'm sure Muppetman originally shared this on the forum, but I could be wrong.

2 stories from 2 different sources not linking or referring to one another, about the same thing, suggests that changes are in deed coming.

I've also noticed that SKY are currently offering SKY Sports for 12 months at £18.00. This could be a lead into the channel shake up. At the end of 12 months, when the package is due to go to full price, it'll give SKY the chance to talk customers into keeping SKY Sports. I imagine something like this:

Customer: I'm calling to cancel SKY Sports. My 12 month £18.00 deal is coming to an end. I can't afford the full package price.

SKY: What is it you mainly watch? Is it our football coverage?

Customer: Pretty much but I do watch the odd bit of sport here and there.

SKY: Good news. Our new package structure means you can keep watching all the football you love on our 2 dedciated football channels at the same price you're currently paying. And don't forget SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News are included at no additional cost so you can continue to follow other sports too.

RichardCoulter 06-04-2017 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35893498)
Are you saying, they're looking at increasing the overall "full package" cost for those who want everything? Or just, more than what could be a mini-package? (Hope that make sense)

Fair enough about the Daily Mail link, it's an interesting prospect nonetheless. Of course, Sky are oft-criticised for not offering SS-F1 as a standalone channel so if they go this route, that would be fascinating.

AIUI it will work out more expensive for those who want everything​ ie more than the cost of taking everything now, but cheaper if you take less sports that you aren't interested in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35893508)
Also, it's been revealed that Sky have been running confidential surveys mooting these changes to see what customers think of them.

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?

Seems to link in with this article from February:

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...ake-up/1424940

I'm sure Muppetman originally shared this on the forum, but I could be wrong.

2 stories from 2 different sources not linking or referring to one another, about the same thing, suggests that changes are in deed coming.

I've also noticed that SKY are currently offering SKY Sports for 12 months at £18.00. This could be a lead into the channel shake up. At the end of 12 months, when the package is due to go to full price, it'll give SKY the chance to talk customers into keeping SKY Sports. I imagine something like this:

Customer: I'm calling to cancel SKY Sports. My 12 month £18.00 deal is coming to an end. I can't afford the full package price.

SKY: What is it you mainly watch? Is it our football coverage?

Customer: Pretty much but I do watch the odd bit of sport here and there.

SKY: Good news. Our new package structure means you can keep watching all the football you love on our 2 dedciated football channels at the same price you're currently paying. And don't forget SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News are included at no additional cost so you can continue to follow other sports too.[/QUOTE]

Could be.

Sirius 06-04-2017 06:14

This is great as i only watch rugby and if this is true i don't have to pay for the other stuff. Am i right that i would only need the variety package ?.

denphone 06-04-2017 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35893521)
This is great as i only watch rugby and if this is true i don't have to pay for the other stuff. Am i right that i would only need the variety package ?.

Well that is the hope for you old bean but alas what we think and what actually happens can be very different.

RichardCoulter 10-06-2017 20:50

From the 'Coming Soon' thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35902540)
A Sky Source has confirm to MB HQ that "Looks like the Daily Mail rumour was almost correct, about 2 months before Sky staff were told... Look out for more info on or after 13th July."

RichardCoulter 27-06-2017 20:39

Link courtesy of Arthur:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/...cid=spartandhp

RichardCoulter 08-07-2017 19:45

Anyone interested in making changes to their Sky Sports subscription as a result of these changes should make a note in their diary for Tuesday 18 July.

This is the date that Sky have told VM they are working towards implementing this ;)

MB has posted information that suggests that At The Races won't be renamed after all...

muppetman11 08-07-2017 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35906739)
Anyone interested in making changes to their Sky Sports subscription as a result of these changes should make a note in their diary for Tuesday 18 July.

This is the date that Sky have told VM they are working towards implementing this ;)

MB has posted information that suggests that At The Races won't be renamed after all...

You mean the date you've seen people speculating over on DS Forums ;)

denphone 09-07-2017 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906748)
You mean the date you've seen people speculating over on DS Forums ;)

Don't you just love all the speculation MM.;)

love Virgin2013 09-07-2017 05:53

Does anyone know when Sky do change the sports channel say i only want the football channels are virgin going to allow people to downgrade as in remove the sports channels we dont want?

if so is there going to be any fees or the 31 day notice thing which they need to remove channels?

also what happens to any discounts that people may have on there accounts for taking the sky sports pack?

bubblegun 09-07-2017 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 (Post 35906792)
Does anyone know when Sky do change the sports channel say i only want the football channels are virgin going to allow people to downgrade as in remove the sports channels we dont want?

if so is there going to be any fees or the 31 day notice thing which they need to remove channels?

also what happens to any discounts that people may have on there accounts for taking the sky sports pack?

Everything about this is under a NDA currently, however when the press releases go out (very soon) then I'm sure you'll get the answers you're looking for.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 11:57

I'm still not sure how much success they'll have attracting people with this if the quoted price of £18 Is correct.

Many people are already getting all the Sports for half price which costs less.

denphone 09-07-2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906831)
I'm still not sure how much success they'll have attracting people with this if the quoted price of £18 Is correct.

Indeed there are a lot of ifs currently.

1andrew1 09-07-2017 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906831)

Maybe they're just facing up to the facts of the market. Sky is known for doing its homework on these things.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35906834)
Maybe they're just facing up to the facts of the market. Sky is known for doing its homework on these things.

Agreed but in my opinion the crux of the problem is the bundle you must take before even having the option to add Sport.

Cheaper bundles with the essential quality pay channels is the answer in my opinion , people are paying stupid amounts so as channels that are rarely watched can take a cut of subscription money.

The likes of Netflix and Amazon have vastly changed the Entertainment landscape , for around £6 a month you can get massive amounts of shows compared to £22 for the Original bundle. No wonder traditional pay TV is finding it harder and harder.