Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND to superhub (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687250)

dhes 25-04-2012 13:09

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND to superhub

Hi Everyone This is my first post so please be gentle :)

I have bought the above router and tried last night to connect it to the super hub (in modem mode) it all seemed to go ok until the set up CD tried to connect to the internet and it kept coming up as failed with the symbol in the tool bar had an exclamation mark saying there was no internet connections.
Would it be possible for somebody to walk me through the set up process or any other tips where i was going wrong?

FYI the port on the super hub is ok as i connected the laptop directly to it and it worked fine..

Thanks

thenry 25-04-2012 14:26

Re: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND to superhub

first of all put that CD back in the box and uninstall anything if may of installed on your system.

Secondly link your computer to the routers via one of the LAN ports. put this into your web browser address bar

hit enter and login, the default login for both username and password is admin

once logged in find QUICK SETUP and click on it and proceed (press next)

WAN Connection type - for VM its Dynamic IP but the auto function should be fine

click next

setup your wireless security, password. click on WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK then create your own wireless password. you can change your wireless networks name here by changing whats written in the SSID box.

your region is UK so change it if its set to anything else. wireless channels will range from 1-13. you can download inSSIDer onto a wireless capable device/Microsoft operated laptop or wifi analyizer onto a phone from the app store. scan your area for wireless networks and note which channel each uses. then set your wireless network to use a channel that isn't in use.

then click finish to end the quick install process and then reboot.

once the router comes live again power it down manually via power socket. power down your SH and link an ethernet cable to the SHs ethernet port closest to the white cable port to the routers WAN port then power up both.

dhes 25-04-2012 23:00

Thanks thenry I will give that a go tomorrow night ��

thenry 25-04-2012 23:01

your welcome. let us know how you get on

qasdfdsaq 26-04-2012 04:57

You need to reboot the Superhub after having your laptop connected in order to connect the router.

dhes 26-04-2012 23:11

Big thanks again thenry just followed your post and all is working now👍

thenry 26-04-2012 23:19

your welcome. nice choice of router.

qasdfdsaq 27-04-2012 05:09

Lies

thenry 27-04-2012 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35419346)
You need to reboot the Superhub after having your laptop connected in order to connect the router.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35419779)
Lies

lol :o:

Matty_UK 30-05-2012 00:52

Hi guys,

I bought this router too and I did the exact thing you described thenry and I thought it was all going so well.

Unfortunately even though it says I have internet on my routers network it still doesnt work!

At the moment I'm connected via my usual VM connection. Hmmm. I will have a play and a tinker and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 00:52 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

Setting the superhub to modem mode seems to be the thing people say. I did try that but nothing happened. Then I tried what you said thenry and it all connected fine. I thought it was a browser problem but I cant even log onto webcam chat programs so its something else.

thenry 30-05-2012 01:54

I don't fully understand.. could you elaborate

Matty_UK 30-05-2012 11:36

Sorry bud, yes I was a little cagey in my description :)

A few days ago I joined here and posted about the superhub issues that seem to be universal. The message was clear. Get a router and put the SH on modem mode.

I got the WR1043ND in the post and hooked it all up following the instructions you posted. Though I cant remember if I put the SH in modem mode beforehand, which might be key (sorry Im not a massive techie). Anyway, after I tried what you suggested to the other chap in this thread things seemed to work.

I saw the network, the network status said that internet was functional. Then I went into firefox and any website I went on timed out. So I tried Opera, Chrome, safari, even the horrible IE and no websites would load.

Thinking it was a browser issue I then tried other programmes like skype to see if I could log in and that didnt work. So currently, when Im in windows, the networks that appear for me are my VM (which actually still works but only gets speeds of 15-20mbps on speedtest - torrents I get 2MB/sec max) and the router network. Both have excellent signal and both say that internet connection is fine though only the VM one works.

I thought also that it was something silly like me not pressing the wireless button on the router but that didnt help either. Im pretty sure Im being dense and there's a small setting I have overlooked. Still, at least VM is working wirelessly on my laptop, but Im paying for a 100 meg line. I thought this router would be my saviour. Well it stil might be.

P.S Before I got this router I also got this: 150Mbps Micro Nano Tiny Size Wireless N 802.11n/g WiFi WLAN USB 2.0 Network Adapter Dongle. Quite a mouthful I know. Not sure if thats interfering with things. I've used it since but its not really doing anything.

Hope thats cleared things up a little? :) Or convoluted matters. Thanks.

Mick Fisher 30-05-2012 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty_UK (Post 35434540)
Though I cant remember if I put the SH in modem mode.

Before doing anything else sort out this issue so you KNOW the SH is in modem mode. Then set up a wired connection and only when that is working properly start configuring your wireless network.

Peter_ 30-05-2012 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty_UK (Post 35434540)
I cant remember if I put the SH in modem mode

If the Superhub is in Modem Mode you will only have a top blue light and the middle green light on.

thenry 30-05-2012 15:10

follow these instructions to put the SuperHub into modem mode > http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable

make sure you link an ethernet cable from the port closest to the white cable input rear of the SuperHub to the blue port rear of the TP Link router

then what I posted above.. now below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35419019)
first of all put that CD back in the box and uninstall anything if may of installed on your system.

Secondly link your computer to the routers via one of the LAN ports. put this into your web browser address bar

hit enter and login, the default login for both username and password is admin

once logged in find QUICK SETUP and click on it and proceed (press next)

WAN Connection type - for VM its Dynamic IP but the auto function should be fine

click next

setup your wireless security, password. click on WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK then create your own wireless password. you can change your wireless networks name here by changing whats written in the SSID box.

your region is UK so change it if its set to anything else. wireless channels will range from 1-13. you can download inSSIDer onto a wireless capable device/Microsoft operated laptop or wifi analyizer onto a phone from the app store. scan your area for wireless networks and note which channel each uses. then set your wireless network to use a channel that isn't in use.

then click finish to end the quick install process and then reboot.

once the router comes live again power it down manually via power socket. power down your SH and link an ethernet cable to the SHs ethernet port closest to the white cable port to the routers WAN port then power up both.