Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Iran attacks Israel (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712619)

Jaymoss 13-04-2024 23:10

Iran attacks Israel

Scary times maybe

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...against-israel

Chris 13-04-2024 23:43

Re: Iran attacks Israel

For Iran, perhaps. There’s no way it can ultimately come off best in an encounter like this. It looks like a desperate throw of the dice - I’m sure they thought provoking Israel to go wild in Gaza would have resulted in it suffering serious international consequences by now, but it seems to have concluded if you want a job doing, best do it yourself.

Dude111 14-04-2024 00:03

These are all scary times Chris....

The US will probably force themselves in on it and then try to get you guys to help also......

War is no good!!

Pierre 14-04-2024 00:17

They’re hoping for a tit for tat, let’s not escalate this any further pragmatic response.

Let’s see if they get it.

Mick 14-04-2024 00:39

NEW: Israeli war cabinet approves a military response to Iran’s aggression.

Ms NTL 14-04-2024 01:13

Live

Stephen 14-04-2024 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36173491)
These are all scary times Chris....

The US will probably force themselves in on it and then try to get you guys to help also......

War is no good!!

Already, happened. US shot down some drones and the UK already deployed the RAF.

Sirius 14-04-2024 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36173499)
the UK already deployed the RAF.

Into 5 star hotels with a pool on the beach front in Cyprus :)

Hugh 14-04-2024 13:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 36173508)

Well, duh!

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...6&d=1713098512

A MOD official was conducting an All Services briefing one day, and he posed the question: "What would you do if you found a scorpion in your tent?"

A Sailor said, "I'd step on it."

A Soldier said, "I'd hit it with my boot."

A Royal Marine said, "I'd catch it, break the stinger off, and eat it."

An Airman said, "I'd call room service and find out why there's a damn tent in my room."

Ms NTL 14-04-2024 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 36173508)

Perfect plan. They are camouflaged, mingling with the others in the pool and they can monitor Israel across the sea. Genius.

Hugh 14-04-2024 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36173531)
Perfect plan. They are camouflaged, mingling with the others in the pool and they can monitor Israel across the sea. Genius.

They don’t have pools on Mount Troodos (but they do at Ayios Nikolaos)… ;)

Pierre 14-04-2024 22:16

If Israel retaliates and ends up killing thousands of innocent Iranians with their superior missiles. Will it be Israel’s fault they were killed…..or Iran’s……asking for a friend.

Damien 14-04-2024 22:27

Let's hope they don't. The US is putting pressure on them not to respond.

jfman 14-04-2024 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36173536)
If Israel retaliates and ends up killing thousands of innocent Iranians with their superior missiles. Will it be Israel’s fault they were killed…..or Iran’s……asking for a friend.

If they killed “thousands” of innocent Iranians it’d be Israel’s.

Hugh 14-04-2024 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36173536)

You may find this informative…

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...ke-escalation/

Quote:

From the perspective of many governments around the world, Israel moved up the escalation ladder when it razed Iran’s embassy annex in Damascus on April 1. This airstrike killed Mohammad Reza Zahedi, a top Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander, in addition to at least six others in the IRGC’s elite Quds Force, its foreign arm. Given that this diplomatic facility was, according to international law, on Iranian soil and that Zahedi was the IRGC’s highest-ranking commander to be killed since Qasem Soleimani’s assassination in early 2020, this attack intensified the “shadow war” between Israel and Iran.
It’s almost as if Netanyahu was deliberately escalating tensions…

noel43 15-04-2024 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36173499)
Already, happened. US shot down some drones and the UK already deployed the RAF.

Why are we getting involved,nothing to do with us. They never helped us in Iraq or Afghanistan. USA gonna drag us in again

mrmistoffelees 15-04-2024 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36173540)
You may find this informative…

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...ke-escalation/

It’s almost as if Netanyahu was deliberately escalating tensions…

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’m getting to the point where I think Netanyahu poses the greatest risk to peace in the region.

Whilst the west won’t engage in an attack against Iran they’ll happily provide the military hardware for Israel to do it. But if Iran launches an attack against Israel as we’ve seen then they’ll step in to defend.

This gives Netanyahu the ability and impunity to act without fear as he knows that ultimately Israel will be defended there seems to be significant scope creep

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 36173549)
Why are we getting involved,nothing to do with us. They never helped us in Iraq or Afghanistan. USA gonna drag us in again

Guilt ?

1andrew1 15-04-2024 11:20

Two questions:
  • Will Ukraine feel a bit miffed that France, the US and UK have shot down missiles approaching Israel but not missiles over Ukraine? Particularly when Israel has the Iron Dome which Ukraine doesn't.
  • Will Russia help Iran by shooting down any missiles that Israel fires at it?

jfman 15-04-2024 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36173551)
Probably an unpopular opinion but I’m getting to the point where I think Netanyahu poses the greatest risk to peace in the region.

Welcome.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36173553)
Two questions:
  • Will Ukraine feel a bit miffed that France, the US and UK have shot down missiles approaching Israel but not missiles over Ukraine? Particularly when Israel has the Iron Dome which Ukraine doesn't.

Ukraine will be miffed seeing the US pull out all the stops for a genuine ally. I doubt Russia have capacity to assist Iran in that way.

Pierre 15-04-2024 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36173551)

More than Iran?

Iran that funds Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthis, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Kataib Hezbollah, Asaib Ahl al Haq, Badr Organization, Zaynabiyoun Brigade, to name but a few.

ok.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36173553)
Two questions:

Ukraine has been given SAMs and Fighters.

mrmistoffelees 15-04-2024 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36173558)
More than Iran?

Iran that funds Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthis, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, Kataib Hezbollah, Asaib Ahl al Haq, Badr Organization, Zaynabiyoun Brigade, to name but a few.

ok.

At this point yes, Israel went of and lobbed missiles that caused the death of a senior Iranian military figure amongst others . Iran responded 99% of missiles and drones intercepted with minimal damage and one casualty

Iran states it considers the matter now closed, Israel is now probably going to launch a military action in response. To which the Iranian hard liners will demand a response .

Israel have allowed scope creep here they’re not only going after Hamas but everyone who poses a threat

Israel are not innocent in all of this and they need to be held accountable by their allies and that’s not happening. If anyone dares to criticise Israel then they’re called out for being anti semetic.

We all know that Israel can’t wipe out Hamas so this in terms of Gaza turns into punishment. Punishment of a nation of people that for the vast majority haven’t been able to vote for an alternative because a. There’s been no elections and b. Realistically they would have no choice but to vote for Hamas because of intimidation and violence.

Pierre 15-04-2024 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36173560)
At this point yes, Israel went of and lobbed missiles that caused the death of a senior Iranian military figure amongst others.

Israel would probably say he was a legitimate target. They said that they were going to do this months ago, so should not come as a great surprise.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia%20Hezbollah.

from the article:
Quote:

The killing of Saleh al-Arouri in Beirut is the first strike in a campaign of assassinations overseas promised by Israeli officials for several months.

The target was carefully chosen – one of the most senior Hamas leaders and the organisation’s main link to Iran and the Lebanon-based militia Hezbollah.
and besides America do it all the time, so why shouldn't Israel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-53345885

or is it just untenable because it's Israel?

Quote:

Iran responded 99% of missiles and drones intercepted with minimal damage and one casualty
Oh, well that's alright then. I tried to kill you and desparately wanted to, but just because my gun mis-fired, hey, no harm , no foul.

Quote:

Iran states it considers the matter now closed, Israel is now probably going to launch a military action in response. To which the Iranian hard liners will demand a response .
of course it does, they've just shown the world they're not very good at this and would rather that no one retaliated.......sorry.

Quote:

Israel have allowed scope creep here they’re not only going after Hamas but everyone who poses a threat
It's not creep, like in the first article above they told everyone months ago, they are going after targets they deem legitimate for their national security.

jfman 15-04-2024 17:13

“America do it all the time” is an invitation for every rogue state to do as they please.

Pierre 15-04-2024 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36173569)
“America do it all the time” is an invitation for every rogue state to do as they please.

Just trying to work out the difference.

USA assassinate Qassim Suleimani, Commander of Iranian Forces. All good.

Israel assassinate Iranian General Mohammad Reza Zahedi. All bad.

Explain it to me like I’m 5yrs old.

Hugh 15-04-2024 19:49

One wasn’t in an Embassy building, one was…

Under the UN Charter (and the Vienna Conventions), the premises of a diplomatic mission are inviolable.

jfman 15-04-2024 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36173576)
Just trying to work out the difference.

USA assassinate Qassim Suleimani, Commander of Iranian Forces. All good.

Israel assassinate Iranian General Mohammad Reza Zahedi. All bad.

Explain it to me like I’m 5yrs old.

It’s not necessarily “bad” that either took the actions they took. It certainly is a breach of the norms and customs of international diplomacy to bomb the consulate of another country.

To expect Iran to sit back and not retaliate for either is perhaps unrealistic. Nor to expect Iran, Russia, China or anyone else to abide these norms and customs going forward.

If we want to pretend to have an international rules based order Israel should at least pretend to be suitably rebuked by Iran and perhaps keep this “up their sleeve” for the next opportunistic moment to hit an Iranian target of genuine significance. Or take a pop shot at an air base.

Anything beyond that is escalation. The number of weapons fired is a red herring. Iran told everyone what they were going to do. Everyone had enough time to prepare. It’s the definition of grandstanding. I don’t doubt the bloodthirsty among the Israeli cabinet would welcome the opportunity to escalate, just as they have eviscerated Gaza, but it’s in nobody’s interests.

Chris 15-04-2024 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36173579)
It certainly is a breach of the norms and customs of international diplomacy to bomb the consulate of another country.

It is likewise a breach of norms to establish a military HQ and designate it a consulate. Much as it’s generally considered poor form to build a fortified underground command centre underneath a hospital.

Makes you wonder whether Iran and/or Hamas expected to get away with it, or were banking on not getting away with it, in pursuit of headlines, pretexts, strained alliances, etc.

noel43 15-04-2024 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36173582)
It is likewise a breach of norms to establish a military HQ and designate it a consulate. Much as it’s generally considered poor form to build a fortified underground command centre underneath a hospital.

Makes you wonder whether Iran and/or Hamas expected to get away with it, or were banking on not getting away with it, in pursuit of headlines, pretexts, strained alliances, etc.

Most consulates have a military HQ in there buildings.

Dude111 16-04-2024 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43

The US thinks they own the world and always have.... No other country has treated the world as bad as this one has..... Most people dont know what really goes on and think the US is the best country in the world!!

Far from it!

Im sorry they are dragging you guys in AGAIN!!

jfman 16-04-2024 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36173582)

Were the hospitals actually a thing? I only ever saw IDF staged photos so chalked it up with the 40 beheaded babies under "things that didn't happen". Of course there were empty tunnels the Israelis built themselves in the 80s.

I bet the lads at Langley would never use a consulate as a cover.

Chris 16-04-2024 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36173585)
Were the hospitals actually a thing? I only ever saw IDF staged photos so chalked it up with the 40 beheaded babies under "things that didn't happen". Of course there were empty tunnels the Israelis built themselves in the 80s.

I bet the lads at Langley would never use a consulate as a cover.

Again, norms … everyone’s intelligence agency has staff in its embassies and consulates around the world. Intelligence officers are however civilian, not military. They don’t plan military operations and they don’t command soldiers.

‘Israel built the tunnels’ is one of the more entertaining lines to have come out of Hamas, isn’t it.

jfman 16-04-2024 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36173586)
Again, norms … everyone’s intelligence agency has staff in its embassies and consulates around the world. Intelligence officers are however civilian, not military. They don’t plan military operations and they don’t command soldiers.

Probably semantics for whatever Government is being overthrown by the CIA at a given time.

Quote:

‘Israel built the tunnels’ is one of the more entertaining lines to have come out of Hamas, isn’t it.
Did they not build at least some of the tunnel and bunker infrastructure under hospitals that were constructed during Israeli occupation?

Paul 16-04-2024 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36173587)
Probably semantics for whatever Government is being overthrown by the CIA at a given time.

Good grief. :sleep:

You really need a new tin foil hat, the current one seems to be failing. :erm:

1andrew1 16-04-2024 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36173489)
For Iran, perhaps. There’s no way it can ultimately come off best in an encounter like this. It looks like a desperate throw of the dice - I’m sure they thought provoking Israel to go wild in Gaza would have resulted in it suffering serious international consequences by now, but it seems to have concluded if you want a job doing, best do it yourself.

I believe US intelligence said that Iran had no pre-warning of the 7 October attack. Not that they would have objected to it.

Chris 16-04-2024 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36173594)
I believe US intelligence said that Iran had no pre-warning of the 7 October attack. Not that they would have objected to it.

Yes, I’m sure the organisational flow chart has only a dotted reporting line from Gaza back to Tehran. Iran’s strategy has been ‘strategic ambiguity.’ We know they’re behind it, they know we know they’re behind it, but they prefer (until now) for there to be a lack of hard evidence that they're behind it.

Note that this week, most of the Arab states that would once have gleefully helped bomb Israel to pieces all lined up to help bring down Iran’s attack. Saudi Arabia is only waiting for the Gaza situation to die down before quietly signing the treaty with Israel they have long been working on.

This long ceased to be what we used to call the ‘Arab-Israeli dispute’. Palestine’s ongoing instability and especially Hamas’ continuing brutal rule in Gaza is all Iran’s work. Their money, their training. Have no doubt a reckoning is coming - Israel knows it is going to have to deal with the problem at source sooner or later, and I wouldn’t bet too heavily against them looking to address it sooner, given this week’s developments.

tweetiepooh 16-04-2024 17:29

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68823348

Interesting read - snippets

Quote:

Many Iranians also see the Iran-Israel confrontation now emerging from the shadows as being orchestrated by the Iranian government rather than reflective of the will of the Iranian people.
Some graffiti has appeared on walls in Iranian cities - "Israel, strike the supreme leader's [Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's] house," reads one. "Israel hit them, they lack the courage to retaliate," read another.
"I believe it was the right decision to attack Israel to prevent further killings of Iranian commanders in Syria and elsewhere," one woman said in a voice message sent to BBC Persian.

But another said: "Iranians themselves are in a state of war with the current regime. We harbour no animosity towards any nation, including Israel."

1andrew1 17-04-2024 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36173604)

Indeed. The best route to improve Israel's security would be to take the Ayatollah out, his replacement can't be worse.

jfman 19-04-2024 08:13

Well something has happened, although nobody seems to know what. Israel saying nothing. Iran downplaying.

Chris 19-04-2024 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36173732)
Well something has happened, although nobody seems to know what. Israel saying nothing. Iran downplaying.

My guess is that Israel has opted for a technology demonstration, cutting through Iran’s defences and hitting something precious to them with maybe only a single missile. Just enough to show Iran what will happen to it unless it pipes down. Quite the power play, if so.

Pierre 19-04-2024 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36173627)
Indeed. The best route to improve Israel's security would be to take the Ayatollah out, his replacement can't be worse.

Regime change, to a less hardcore Islamic government would transform the region. Young Iranians are not into Islamism.

I doubt it could happen but you live in hope.