Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Billing Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Contract renewal (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712503)

kered10 19-02-2024 11:55

Contract renewal

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies if not...

I've had an email from VM offering to renew my contract at the current price + RPI (4.9% I believe) + 3.9%. I'm wondering if I should jump at this or if I'm paying too much?

I have a VM and O2 Volt package with the following:

O2, unlimited minutes, texts, data, £29.32/month
(I think that's very expensive, but it balances out with the VM package discount.)

Virgin
Maxit TV, 2 V6 boxes, Netflix standard, Sky Sports and Movies HD, Gig 1 broadband + pod, landline and anytime UK calling, £66/month
(If nothing was done, supposedly this would increase to £136/month in May when a couple of discounts expire.)

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Derek

1701-e 19-02-2024 13:24

Re: Contract renewal

You should downgrade your O2 to the £17 ish option for starters . You might have to ring them though. I've got the same for £64 since Nov 22 so if I was offered about the same I'd take it considering what you get for it.

kered10 20-02-2024 14:43

Thanks, that's useful. I'll ponder a little more but likely go for it, and I'll check O2 for a downgrade.
Derek

kered10 25-02-2024 22:49

Hmmm...
I clicked through on the email link and was given a listing of what the new contract included, which differs in several key areas of the TV that concerned me.
Broadband and landline were fine.
Mega TV instead of Maxit TV, probably fine?
TV360 instead of V6 TiVo, we don't want to change.
No mention of 2nd V6.
No mention of included standard Netflix.
These differences are really dealbreakers, but the original email was clear, Same package, Same speeds, Less hassle.
So although I hadn't clicked the final <accept> button, I then got an acceptance email, confirming the new stuff.
I phoned VM the day after, but spoke with a lady, possibly in India. Very pleasant, but useless.
I think I'll try phoning again and see if I'm lucky enough to speak to someone in Glasgow, they might understand better.

1701-e 26-02-2024 08:16

Ring cancellation line.. option 4... You'll get a get a better chance of an explanation of the contract. Mega TV doesn't have TNT for starters

FamousBeetle 26-02-2024 13:36

Try to get through to retentions and get a better deal.

1701-e 28-02-2024 17:29

I've got the my advance renewal offer. Gig1, call anytime, Maxit TV, sky sports and movies HD and second box. £64 I e no change to rate but I would lose TNT sports.,18 month contract. Very tempted

daveeb 28-02-2024 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36171083)
I've got the my advance renewal offer. Gig1, call anytime, Maxit TV, sky sports and movies HD and second box. £64 I e no change to rate but I would lose TNT sports.,18 month contract. Very tempted

Any idea how much is TNT as an extra once it's stripped out of Maxit?

1701-e 28-02-2024 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36171086)
Any idea how much is TNT as an extra once it's stripped out of Maxit?

£18 pm.

Mr K 28-02-2024 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36171090)
£18 pm.

Cripes, I won't be changing from Maxit then.

1701-e 28-02-2024 20:28

Talk to them in case they can discount that. Some say offers around a tenner.

1701-e 20-03-2024 10:01

I was offered TNT sports for £13 pm but I can do without it. Got another 18 months for £64 so can't complain. No price rise until next year.

---------- Post added at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

It's deffo a TV 360 deal.

Rillington 27-03-2024 12:05

also please bear in mind the new terms and conditions regarding leaving VM during a contract as I believe the cap has been removed which means that if you leave I think they now make you pay every penny of what you would have paid over the remaining months of a VM contract.

Therefore, if you pay £100/month and you leave, say three months in and with 15 months remaining I think I'm right in saying that VM would come after you for £1.500.

I night be wrong about this but I'd suggest you find this out for certain so that you know exactly what you are agreeing to.

1701-e 27-03-2024 15:46

The only way I'd be leaving them before the 18 months are up is if we move out of the network area

kered10 03-04-2024 13:00

Well, that has been a bit of a trial!
I had my fourth phone call to them today, the second time I've tried selecting the cancellation option. Explained my package and the email promise of same package, clicking through to find quite different. He went away and eventually returned to offer £176 discounted to £144 (£66 since 17 months ago!)
I said that wasn't any help and he put me through to "tier 2," a helpful chap in England instead of India. I was slightly wary of his knowledge when he said TV360 was fine, just a new remote (when I believe I'd lose current recordings) but eventually I've accepted my existing package for £76, £10 increase, but after 50 minutes, I was worn down.

1701-e 03-04-2024 13:38

I think the strategy going forward is far better offers / discounts for 360 over TiVo to help migrate people over .

Dingbat 03-04-2024 14:40

Had a call about contract renewal just before Easter. Interestingly, after the agent went offline to do his calculations, he came back with an offer that is £13/mth less than I’ve been paying - for the exact same package.

kered10 10-04-2024 17:24

Just a wee follow-up question for those in the know.
My new contract email confirmation at £76 is dated 3rd April. When I log in to my VM account and click on view contract it still displays the previous £66 contract dated November 2022.
Can anybody reassure me that this is just for the 14 day cooling off period and then it will update, or is this an indication that the whole thing has failed to be implemented?

RichardCoulter 10-04-2024 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by kered10 (Post 36172970)
Well, that has been a bit of a trial!
I had my fourth phone call to them today, the second time I've tried selecting the cancellation option. Explained my package and the email promise of same package, clicking through to find quite different. He went away and eventually returned to offer £176 discounted to £144 (£66 since 17 months ago!)
I said that wasn't any help and he put me through to "tier 2," a helpful chap in England instead of India. I was slightly wary of his knowledge when he said TV360 was fine, just a new remote (when I believe I'd lose current recordings) but eventually I've accepted my existing package for £76, £10 increase, but after 50 minutes, I was worn down.

In my opinion that's exactly why they do it, there can be no other explanation for the way that they treat their customers.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kered10 (Post 36173317)
Just a wee follow-up question for those in the know.
My new contract email confirmation at £76 is dated 3rd April. When I log in to my VM account and click on view contract it still displays the previous £66 contract dated November 2022.
Can anybody reassure me that this is just for the 14 day cooling off period and then it will update, or is this an indication that the whole thing has failed to be implemented?

Be careful everyone. I had a call from that offshore call centre, they inflated what my prise rise would be, again claimed that if I took the offer I would escape the price rise in April, that I would have double the broadband speed (that I don't need) and have Sky Cinema added as Mega TV includes this I mentioned TNT as they didn't and was told that I could continue to have it at no extra cost.

I don't trust them as they have told me so many lies just to get what they want and xhecked with my contact at the office of the CEO.

He called me back this morning and confirmed that, apart from the doubling of broadband, that it was all a load of rubbish.

Also very manipulative as she started the call with "We are going to upgrade you to Mega TV", to which I replied that she wouldn't be doing anything without my permission. When I asked how the same channels less TNT could in any way be described as an upgrade, she said I'd be getting extra channels. When asked which ones she began reeling off channels that I get anyway. I asked her to stop and provide details of which new channels I would get and this is when she lied and said that Mega TV includes Sky Cinema.

Chrysalis 23-04-2024 19:50

I will be leaving VM, its been quite a chaotic last month for me.

I did a CityFibre order back in February, but to keep a long story short it was looking odds on to not get a installation due to my property being a MDU.

I had a look at the terms Virgin Media wanted me to renew at, I am a solus customer for the most part, have no history of paying for PPV or other extras, so I suspect from their perspective they know the only potential for extra revenue from me is upsell or to jack up my price for internet.

The my deals section on the my virgin media page has no offers me, and never has done whenever I checked. They did however send me some email retention offers, most of the time the links didnt even work, but one was working at the start of this month.

So some numbers.

My deal I have had for 18 months and happy with is £29 month to VM, and (originally) £12 a month to O2, so basically a 500M broadband boosted to gig1 with volt, they also bundled in a stream box which I never even plugged in (their telemetry might show this), and a weekend calls package which I have never used.

A annual price increase would have bumped this package to £36 (their website shows this). However by coincidence my 18 month deals ends on the April billing month of this year. So I wont have a £36 bill.
The May bill if I dont recontract will be a whopping £87. £87 for 500m, and weekend calls basically. O2 if I were to keep it will be £16 a month from May.
Now this email retention offer, I clicked it and I had an upsell offer, £55 a month with some wifi kit thrown in. I clicked not interested, and it changed to a as you are offer of £45. I clicked not interested again and it changed to a final offer of £41. This aggravated me, should show me £41 first time, its like you trying to squeeze me as if I am a lemon. That didnt help my mindset and I didnt click sign me up for the renewal.
With the £16 to O2 from May onwards this would have taken net cost from £41 to £57 a month.

I mistakenly assumed surely if I rang retentions the worst case is the £41 deal, I thought logically since ringing up is higher effort, then the email offer is like a early negotiation and the agents would do better, even if they didnt I could just activate the email deal afterwards. Wrong!!

I rang retentions and explained I was considering leaving with the primary reason being the new proposed cost for renewal. I also explained CF is available in my area.

Initial offer was an upsell, in reality this was the only offer. There seemed to be no flexibility. The offer was 100 TV channels (likely freesat equivalent), with gig1, and call weekends for £55.
I said remove the fluff, not interested in TV, this changed to £70 something pounds for gig1 alone, nothing else. Thats right, the price increased for removing things from the package.

I told him as polite as I reasonably could, are you even trying to keep me as a customer. I reminded him I could order cityfibre and I am aware people are getting retention deals for gig1 at £35. He changed tact, he told me I have troublesome install fees to deal with and VM's quality makes the much higher price good value, paying for a TV service I have no interest in is amazing value, and I am unreasonable expecting a price that others get and my previous price is only for new customers.

I then wanted to clarify something with him, were his offers volt deals, or were they just flat straight up gig1. At first he didnt reply, confused. I asked him a second time, and he said keeping the O2 sim was a requirement. So in effect he tried to sell me 500M broadband for over £70 month, which is higher than the list price of the tariff on VM's website. (as is also the case for my automatic out of contract price increase).

At this point I rage cancelled which still took over 20 minutes, he kept insisting O2 needs to be cancelled, but I explained I want to keep my number so that will be handled by myself with PAC system. Eventually he did the cancellation.

I checked the email link after call, was a "page doesnt exist" so invalidated.

I will likely be filling in Ofcom's VM retention/cancellation complaints form as this process, inconsistent pricing etc. is ridiculous.

As of today I still dont have any attempt to keep me, no outbound retentions call, cut off date is 2nd week of May.

Now as it turns out, CityFibre was not a empty threat, they changed their stance on the MDU classification and I ended up getting connected really quickly, typing this out on a FTTP connection.

So yeah, its a shame, as the VM service was decent, I just couldnt take the shenanigans they do on renewal, and their tripling of price if not locking in to new contract.

Also forgot to mention, is the offshore retentions call centre.

Itshim 24-04-2024 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36173321)
In my opinion that's exactly why they do it, there can be no other explanation for the way that they treat their customers.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Be careful everyone. I had a call from that offshore call centre, they inflated what my prise rise would be, again claimed that if I took the offer I would escape the price rise in April, that I would have double the broadband speed (that I don't need) and have Sky Cinema added as Mega TV includes this I mentioned TNT as they didn't and was told that I could continue to have it at no extra cost.

I don't trust them as they have told me so many lies just to get what they want and xhecked with my contact at the office of the CEO.

He called me back this morning and confirmed that, apart from the doubling of broadband, that it was all a load of rubbish.

Also very manipulative as she started the call with "We are going to upgrade you to Mega TV", to which I replied that she wouldn't be doing anything without my permission. When I asked how the same channels less TNT could in any way be described as an upgrade, she said I'd be getting extra channels. When asked which ones she began reeling off channels that I get anyway. I asked her to stop and provide details of which new channels I would get and this is when she lied and said that Mega TV includes Sky Cinema.

Am I the only one that gets a e mail to " sign" for a new contract. :confused:

RichardCoulter 24-04-2024 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36173979)

I've never had to sign a contract on paper or online, apart from on paper when I first got Virgin. A contract is agreed and (sometimes) an email is received to confirm this, though this is often wrong and I have to call them back.

I'd actually prefer sign a new contract after checking that it's correct as it would save a lot of subsequent messing about.

Maybe it depends on which franchise are you are in??

daveeb 24-04-2024 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36173979)

I've had them in the past but it's all a bit random, didn't get one last year. It's always after I've verbally agreed something anyway so i'm not really sure what the point of it is, I doubt anything would change if you didn't sign it.

Itshim 24-04-2024 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36173984)
I've had them in the past but it's all a bit random, didn't get one last year. It's always after I've verbally agreed something anyway so i'm not really sure what the point of it is, I doubt anything would change if you didn't sign it.

Agreed but every time I renewed one came. Am out of contact every time, was with ntl

RichardCoulter 24-04-2024 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36173984)

Yes, I think we'd find that a recording of the conversation containing the verbal contract would be available on such occasions 😉

daveeb 24-04-2024 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36173995)
Yes, I think we'd find that a recording of the conversation containing the verbal contract would be available on such occasions 😉

Very cynical Richard, I'm sure VM, being such an upstanding organisation, wouldn't just keep evidence that suits them. :rolleyes:

kered10 08-05-2024 09:28

When I sign in to My Virgin Media, I am relieved to now report the new contract is there, whilst up until now, there has only been the old contract expiring this month with a large price increase when it ended. I hope that I can park this until August 2025 in the run-up to the next round of negotiations! Oops! I've just remembered that one of the early helpful replies advised me to speak with O2 about their side of things. Too much on, today. I'll make a note to do that later.
Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Derek

1701-e 08-05-2024 10:18

If you are past the minimum period on the O2 gig then go through uSwitch and get a good reduction.