Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : All change for Sky Sports channels & packages? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704704)

RichardCoulter 04-04-2017 01:00

All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

Apparently:

- Cricket and golf will have their own dedicated channels in the same way as F1.

- Football to have two channels; one for Premier League and another for everything else.

- A cheaper sports package of about £18 per month to be introduced.

- At The Races to go HD and then be rebranded as Sky Sports Racing.

- Rugby will be bundled with other sports in a variety package.

- European club rugby rights expire in May 2018. It is not expected that Sky will retain them thereafter.

I heard this some time ago from a contact, but dismissed them as unfounded rumours, however, some of these 'rumours' have now appeared in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...gby-rough.html[/quote]

Also, it's been revealed that Sky have been running confidential surveys mooting these changes to see what customers think of them.

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?

muppetman11 04-04-2017 08:06

Re: All change for Sky Sports channels & packages?

I mentioned this already although I don't like the sounds of those wanting all the Sports will cost significantly more.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...postcount=7008

Where has the At the races story come from I haven't heard that one although that doesn't mean it's not true.

RichardCoulter 04-04-2017 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35893187)
I mentioned this already although I don't like the sounds of those wanting all the Sports will cost significantly more.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...postcount=7008

Where has the At the races story come from I haven't heard that one although that doesn't mean it's not true.

Sorry, didn't see that.

The At The Races rumour has been going round the pay TV industry for a few weeks, apparently Sky have been building up their shareholding in the channel in readiness for a takeover.

I think all VM customers get this in all packs, so maybe this will change.

japitts 04-04-2017 10:18

Ah, it's in the Daily Mail - not worth the chip paper it's written on then!!

That aside, the plus point of this possibility is a lower entry-price for those who can't/won't afford the full package but otherwise miss out on so much TV sport.

Really not a fan of splitting channels by sport though - on F1 they seem to just about get away with it, but even then often simulcast on SS1. The current system of 5 numbered channels seems to work nicely.

On the specifics of club rugby, it would be good to see the European games unified with one broadcaster. You currently need two subscriptions to see these, which doesn't sit well for me. BT do a good job with Premiership stuff, Sky do well with the internationals.

1andrew1 04-04-2017 11:03

Will be interesting to see how this works out. The obvious packs are Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Everything else.
I can see Sky Sports Everything Else being sold as an entry pack separately but would Sky split off Sky Sports Football or not?
I suspect not, so that would leave:
Pack a - Sky Sports Everything Else
Pack b - Sky Sports Complete
If it did split off football then obviously
Pack c - Sky Sports Football

japitts 04-04-2017 12:38

When Sky poached the F1 rights and launched SS-F1, they forced you to into the full sports package even if you only wanted F1.

I can't imagine them doing anything other with football - their other big money-spinner.

If the balance with SS-Mix was to encourage take-up without annoying paying subscribers...surely the same balance but with full packages.

1andrew1 04-04-2017 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35893219)
When Sky poached the F1 rights and launched SS-F1, they forced you to into the full sports package even if you only wanted F1.

I can't imagine them doing anything other with football - their other big money-spinner.

If the balance with SS-Mix was to encourage take-up without annoying paying subscribers...surely the same balance but with full packages.

Sky Sports Mix was about reacting to BT Sport which was included with BT TV.

heero_yuy 04-04-2017 14:11

Sky will package it up in the way that maximises revenue from the sports milchcows. Expect some odd mixes from the bean counters.

RichardCoulter 04-04-2017 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35893239)
Sky will package it up in the way that maximises revenue from the sports milchcows. Expect some odd mixes from the bean counters.

AIUI it will work out cheaper for those wanting a particular sport, but more expensive for those who still want everything (I believe that this is how it's done in Germany).

I imagine that viewers will still have to be on a minimum package before any of the sports packages can be added.

The above relates to their own Sky platform, not sure how much flexibility VM have to change things for their customers.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893195)
Sorry, didn't see that.

The At The Races rumour has been going round the pay TV industry for a few weeks, apparently Sky have been building up their shareholding in the channel in readiness for a takeover.

Apparently, Sky owned 49% of ATR, but have now increased their shareholding to 51%.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35893206)
Ah, it's in the Daily Mail - not worth the chip paper it's written on then!!

That aside, the plus point of this possibility is a lower entry-price for those who can't/won't afford the full package but otherwise miss out on so much TV sport.

Really not a fan of splitting channels by sport though - on F1 they seem to just about get away with it, but even then often simulcast on SS1. The current system of 5 numbered channels seems to work nicely.

On the specifics of club rugby, it would be good to see the European games unified with one broadcaster. You currently need two subscriptions to see these, which doesn't sit well for me. BT do a good job with Premiership stuff, Sky do well with the internationals.

True, the Daily Mail aren't the best for reporting accurate news, but it was the only tangible thing that I could find as a source to link to.

denphone 04-04-2017 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893195)
Sorry, didn't see that.

If ATR goes into the sports premium packages that is not going to go down well.

trevrpb 04-04-2017 23:05

The ATR rumour has indeed been doing the rounds, but as correctly pointed out, Sky already owned 49% of the channel and recently increased their holding to just over 51%. The ATR rebranding as SKY Racing is actually in the Racing Industry paper. The rebranding not going to take place until it goes HD (that has taken far too long. So may not be for sometime yet. I'm assuming it will be part of a Sports Package rather than just an individual payment for that channel.

As a racing fan, I hope there will be no extra cost, but I will pay it. Main concern is ATR are losing three more of their current tracks to RUK soon. They can't really afford to lose many more. (Stratford, Leicester and Taunton are the ones 'defecting')

TrevP

Mad Max 04-04-2017 23:10

Personally I think it's a good thing, i'm only really interested in the football, and if it means cheaper viewing for individual needs, then i'm all for it.

Paul 04-04-2017 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35893337)
Personally I think it's a good thing, i'm only really interested in the football, and if it means cheaper viewing for individual needs, then i'm all for it.

Ditto.

denphone 05-04-2017 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrpb (Post 35893335)
The ATR rumour has indeed been doing the rounds, but as correctly pointed out, Sky already owned 49% of the channel and recently increased their holding to just over 51%. The ATR rebranding as SKY Racing is actually in the Racing Industry paper. The rebranding not going to take place until it goes HD (that has taken far too long. So may not be for sometime yet. I'm assuming it will be part of a Sports Package rather than just an individual payment for that channel.

As a racing fan, I hope there will be no extra cost, but I will pay it. Main concern is ATR are losing three more of their current tracks to RUK soon. They can't really afford to lose many more. (Stratford, Leicester and Taunton are the ones 'defecting')

TrevP

Indeed as you say ATR are losing 3 tracks to RUK and what really saves ATR is its Irish Racing IMO currently.

japitts 05-04-2017 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893316)
AIUI it will work out cheaper for those wanting a particular sport, but more expensive for those who still want everything (I believe that this is how it's done in Germany).

I imagine that viewers will still have to be on a minimum package before any of the sports packages can be added.

The above relates to their own Sky platform, not sure how much flexibility VM have to change things for their customers.

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Apparently, Sky owned 49% of ATR, but have now increased their shareholding to 51%.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

True, the Daily Mail aren't the best for reporting accurate news, but it was the only tangible thing that I could find as a source to link to.

Are you saying, they're looking at increasing the overall "full package" cost for those who want everything? Or just, more than what could be a mini-package? (Hope that make sense)

Fair enough about the Daily Mail link, it's an interesting prospect nonetheless. Of course, Sky are oft-criticised for not offering SS-F1 as a standalone channel so if they go this route, that would be fascinating.

Chad 05-04-2017 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893169)
Apparently:

- Cricket and golf will have their own dedicated channels in the same way as F1.

- Football to have two channels; one for Premier League and another for everything else.

- A cheaper sports package of about £18 per month to be introduced.

- At The Races to go HD and then be rebranded as Sky Sports Racing.

- Rugby will be bundled with other sports in a variety package.

- European club rugby rights expire in May 2018. It is not expected that Sky will retain them thereafter.

I heard this some time ago from a contact, but dismissed them as unfounded rumours, however, some of these 'rumours' have now appeared in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/gol...gby-rough.html

Also, it's been revealed that Sky have been running confidential surveys mooting these changes to see what customers think of them.

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?[/QUOTE]

Seems to link in with this article from February:

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...ake-up/1424940

I'm sure Muppetman originally shared this on the forum, but I could be wrong.

2 stories from 2 different sources not linking or referring to one another, about the same thing, suggests that changes are in deed coming.

I've also noticed that SKY are currently offering SKY Sports for 12 months at £18.00. This could be a lead into the channel shake up. At the end of 12 months, when the package is due to go to full price, it'll give SKY the chance to talk customers into keeping SKY Sports. I imagine something like this:

Customer: I'm calling to cancel SKY Sports. My 12 month £18.00 deal is coming to an end. I can't afford the full package price.

SKY: What is it you mainly watch? Is it our football coverage?

Customer: Pretty much but I do watch the odd bit of sport here and there.

SKY: Good news. Our new package structure means you can keep watching all the football you love on our 2 dedciated football channels at the same price you're currently paying. And don't forget SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News are included at no additional cost so you can continue to follow other sports too.

RichardCoulter 06-04-2017 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35893498)
Are you saying, they're looking at increasing the overall "full package" cost for those who want everything? Or just, more than what could be a mini-package? (Hope that make sense)

Fair enough about the Daily Mail link, it's an interesting prospect nonetheless. Of course, Sky are oft-criticised for not offering SS-F1 as a standalone channel so if they go this route, that would be fascinating.

AIUI it will work out more expensive for those who want everything​ ie more than the cost of taking everything now, but cheaper if you take less sports that you aren't interested in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35893508)

Could this mean the closure of Sky Sports Mix?

Seems to link in with this article from February:

http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/articl...ake-up/1424940

I'm sure Muppetman originally shared this on the forum, but I could be wrong.

2 stories from 2 different sources not linking or referring to one another, about the same thing, suggests that changes are in deed coming.

I've also noticed that SKY are currently offering SKY Sports for 12 months at £18.00. This could be a lead into the channel shake up. At the end of 12 months, when the package is due to go to full price, it'll give SKY the chance to talk customers into keeping SKY Sports. I imagine something like this:

Customer: I'm calling to cancel SKY Sports. My 12 month £18.00 deal is coming to an end. I can't afford the full package price.

SKY: What is it you mainly watch? Is it our football coverage?

Customer: Pretty much but I do watch the odd bit of sport here and there.

SKY: Good news. Our new package structure means you can keep watching all the football you love on our 2 dedciated football channels at the same price you're currently paying. And don't forget SKY Sports Mix and SKY Sports News are included at no additional cost so you can continue to follow other sports too.[/QUOTE]

Could be.

Sirius 06-04-2017 06:14

This is great as i only watch rugby and if this is true i don't have to pay for the other stuff. Am i right that i would only need the variety package ?.

denphone 06-04-2017 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35893521)
This is great as i only watch rugby and if this is true i don't have to pay for the other stuff. Am i right that i would only need the variety package ?.

Well that is the hope for you old bean but alas what we think and what actually happens can be very different.

RichardCoulter 10-06-2017 20:50

From the 'Coming Soon' thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35902540)
A Sky Source has confirm to MB HQ that "Looks like the Daily Mail rumour was almost correct, about 2 months before Sky staff were told... Look out for more info on or after 13th July."

RichardCoulter 27-06-2017 20:39

Link courtesy of Arthur:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/...cid=spartandhp

RichardCoulter 08-07-2017 19:45

Anyone interested in making changes to their Sky Sports subscription as a result of these changes should make a note in their diary for Tuesday 18 July.

This is the date that Sky have told VM they are working towards implementing this ;)

MB has posted information that suggests that At The Races won't be renamed after all...

muppetman11 08-07-2017 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35906739)
Anyone interested in making changes to their Sky Sports subscription as a result of these changes should make a note in their diary for Tuesday 18 July.

This is the date that Sky have told VM they are working towards implementing this ;)

MB has posted information that suggests that At The Races won't be renamed after all...

You mean the date you've seen people speculating over on DS Forums ;)

denphone 09-07-2017 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906748)

Don't you just love all the speculation MM.;)

love Virgin2013 09-07-2017 05:53

Does anyone know when Sky do change the sports channel say i only want the football channels are virgin going to allow people to downgrade as in remove the sports channels we dont want?

if so is there going to be any fees or the 31 day notice thing which they need to remove channels?

also what happens to any discounts that people may have on there accounts for taking the sky sports pack?

bubblegun 09-07-2017 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by love Virgin2013 (Post 35906792)
Does anyone know when Sky do change the sports channel say i only want the football channels are virgin going to allow people to downgrade as in remove the sports channels we dont want?

if so is there going to be any fees or the 31 day notice thing which they need to remove channels?

also what happens to any discounts that people may have on there accounts for taking the sky sports pack?

Everything about this is under a NDA currently, however when the press releases go out (very soon) then I'm sure you'll get the answers you're looking for.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 11:57

I'm still not sure how much success they'll have attracting people with this if the quoted price of £18 Is correct.

Many people are already getting all the Sports for half price which costs less.

denphone 09-07-2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906831)
I'm still not sure how much success they'll have attracting people with this if the quoted price of £18 Is correct.

Indeed there are a lot of ifs currently.

1andrew1 09-07-2017 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906831)

Maybe they're just facing up to the facts of the market. Sky is known for doing its homework on these things.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35906834)
Maybe they're just facing up to the facts of the market. Sky is known for doing its homework on these things.

Agreed but in my opinion the crux of the problem is the bundle you must take before even having the option to add Sport.

Cheaper bundles with the essential quality pay channels is the answer in my opinion , people are paying stupid amounts so as channels that are rarely watched can take a cut of subscription money.

The likes of Netflix and Amazon have vastly changed the Entertainment landscape , for around £6 a month you can get massive amounts of shows compared to £22 for the Original bundle. No wonder traditional pay TV is finding it harder and harder.

OLD BOY 09-07-2017 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906845)
Agreed but in my opinion the crux of the problem is the bundle you must take before even having the option to add Sport.

Cheaper bundles with the essential quality pay channels is the answer in my opinion , people are paying stupid amounts so as channels that are rarely watched can take a cut of subscription money.

The likes of Netflix and Amazon have vastly changed the Entertainment landscape , for around £6 a month you can get massive amounts of shows compared to £22 for the Original bundle. No wonder traditional pay TV is finding it harder and harder.

Yes, I agree with you, muppetman. Conventional pay tv operators are pricing themselves out of the market. Streaming services will replace them, and hopefully the cost of watching live sport will reduce significantly as a result.

Netflix certainly provides excellent value for money as far as films and TV series are concerned. If they can achieve a similar reduction in the price of sport, then at last, the consumer will have won out.

neilo 09-07-2017 14:21

Looking on sky sports page about what programmes are on, every programme has a channel name (e.g. Sky Sports 1) up until 18th July when everything listed after that just says Sky Sports.

So if they're going to switch it all on the 18th, I would have thought that this would be explained ahead of the change.

bubblegun 09-07-2017 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35906852)
Looking on sky sports page about what programmes are on, every programme has a channel name (e.g. Sky Sports 1) up until 18th July when everything listed after that just says Sky Sports.

So if they're going to switch it all on the 18th, I would have thought that this would be explained ahead of the change.

There will be "press releases" very soon to explain what is happening.

The illusion of choice will introduce savings for some subscribers.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegun (Post 35906857)
There will be "press releases" very soon to explain what is happening.

The illusion of choice will introduce savings for some subscribers.

So the usual Sky , the majority will either pay the same or more with very little flexibility.

bubblegun 09-07-2017 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906858)
So the usual Sky , the majority will either pay the same or more with very little flexibility.

The same or less, unless a further price rise is announced or they are averse to minimum term contracts.

It will depend on what sports they want to watch.

The business priority will continue to be for people to have FULL Sports anyway.

If you just watch Golf, Cricket, Tennis, WWE, Rugby League, Darts, F1 or Premier League football then their will be opportunities to pay less, but if you watch more than one of these then you'd be better having it all. Details due to be out tomorrow officially so..

denphone 09-07-2017 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906858)

You have got it in one MM.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegun (Post 35906860)
The same or less, unless a further price rise is announced or they are averse to minimum term contracts.

It will depend on what sports they want to watch.

The business priority will continue to be for people to have FULL Sports anyway.

If you just watch Golf, Cricket, Tennis, WWE, Rugby League, Darts, F1 or Premier League football then their will be opportunities to pay less, but if you watch more than one of these then you'd be better having it all. Details due to be out tomorrow officially so..

Why would I pay £18 for one Sport when playing hard ball gets me the lot for half the current full price of £27.50.

bubblegun 09-07-2017 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906865)
Why would I pay £18 for one Sport when playing hard ball gets me the lot for half the current full price of £27.50.

Because from the 18th July they won't offer that option anymore, officially (I'm sceptical about this TBH).

We're being told all the old offers will end from tomorrow (being applied) for Sky TV customers.

The idea is that TV offers will be the same for existing and new customers.

Whether they'll stick to it in the long term (??)
That's where I'm sceptical!

Press releases are out tomorrow so you'll have confirmation good/bad from then.
No more until it's out officially in terms on confirming/denying details about the changes.

muppetman11 09-07-2017 16:21

We'll see , if someone at Sky believes this will stop the discounting I personally think they are deluded.

jcm193 09-07-2017 19:55

If sky stop offering discounts I have no doubt that they will lose customers

muppetman11 09-07-2017 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcm193 (Post 35906932)
If sky stop offering discounts I have no doubt that they will lose customers

Completely agree both Sky and Virgin are now being forced to heavily discount to retain customers.

RichardCoulter 09-07-2017 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35906748)

How rude of you.

As explained, someone I know gave me this information.

Personally, I wouldn't care if VM took off all the sports channels, I only posted this to help others.

RichardCoulter 10-07-2017 14:36

From the Coming Soon thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907089)
Been released today had an alert on my iphone from the sky sports app.
channels are
skysports
skysports premiership
skysports football
skysports action
skysports arena
skysports f1
skysports golf
skysports cricket

Let's hope MM doesn't make him out to be a liar. Due to past snide remarks, this member is now one of the few left who is prepared to pass on information received from contacts.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

EPG numbers from 18/7/17 now confirmed:

HD

501 - Sky Sports Main Event HD
502 - Sky Sports PL HD
503 - Sky Sports Football HD
504 - Sky Sports Cricket HD
505 - Sky Sports Golf HD
506 - Sky Sports F1 HD
507 - Sky Sports Action HD
508 - Sky Sports Arena HD
509 - Sky Sports News HD
510 - Sky Sports Mix HD

SD

511 - Sky Sports Main Event
512 - Sky Sports PL
513 - Sky Sports Football
514 - Sky Sports Cricket
515 - Sky Sports Golf
516 - Sky Sports F1
517 - Sky Sports Action
518 - Sky Sports Arena
519 - Sky Sports News
520 - Sky Sports Mix

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Some points from the smallprint:

Main Event channel: is a bonus channel showing live content from the other Sky Sports channels at the same time as it is available on such channels. Only available with the Sky Sports Complete Pack.

So if this is 100% simulcasts, and only available to complete pack subscribers, what's the point?

nialli 10-07-2017 15:51

These likely savings it appears WILL NOT apply to Virgin Media customers! According to James on Virgin's Community forum:
"Virgin Media will continue to offer all of the Sky Sports channels in one combined package, and when taken with our Full House pack we are the only provider where you can get all of the sport on BT Sport and Sky Sports in one package."

https://vmhd.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/...ange-july.html

denphone 10-07-2017 16:18

If that is the case then it won't be long before they have a mutiny on their hands...

OLD BOY 10-07-2017 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907139)
If that is the case then it won't be long before they have a mutiny on their hands...

Only if they are prepared to go without BT Sport!

denphone 10-07-2017 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35907140)

Having someone over a barrel does not work anymore..

muppetman11 10-07-2017 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35907140)

You can get BT Sport on Sky either full price or discounted if you choose BT for your broadband.

spankysmagicpian 10-07-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907139)

Why?If people are prepared to pay £18 for one or £22 for two, they might as well go for the whole hog for £10 or £5 a month more. The more you pay each month, smaller increases like that don't matter so much. People won't be losing anything if they pay for the Sky Sports package already.

I do however concede that those who don't pay for it and want to watch football are disadvantaged with VM.

denphone 10-07-2017 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35907148)
You can get BT Sport on Sky either full price or discounted if you choose BT for your broadband.

BT broadband don't make me laugh as Sky and Virgin might have their faults but BT no thanks as previous experiences many years ago taught us not to touch them with a bargepole ever again.

muppetman11 10-07-2017 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907154)
BT broadband don't make me laugh as Sky and Virgin might have their faults but BT no thanks as previous experiences many years ago taught us not to touch them with a bargepole ever again.

Im not with them just mentioned it's an option.

denphone 10-07-2017 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian (Post 35907153)
Why?If people are prepared to pay £18 for one or £22 for two, they might as well go for the whole hog for £10 or £5 a month more. The more you pay each month, smaller increases like that don't matter so much. People won't be losing anything if they pay for the Sky Sports package already.

I do however concede that those who don't pay for it and want to watch football are disadvantaged with VM.

They need to become more flexible as some of the old ways are changing.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35907155)
Im not with them just mentioned it's an option.

Thanks MM for your succinct words of wisdom.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian (Post 35907153)

But not everybody wants that as some only follow 1 or 2 sports and that's it.

Paul 10-07-2017 17:12

Quote:

You dont have to have BT broadband for this, we had BT Sport on Sky for a couple of years but have never had BT BB.

muppetman11 10-07-2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35907159)
You dont have to have BT broadband for this, we had BT Sport on Sky for a couple of years but have never had BT BB.

That was what I meant however probably didn't word it well , you can subscribe to BT Sport on Sky or you can get BT Sport on Sky discounted by taking BT's Broadband.

OLD BOY 10-07-2017 18:51

Quote:

I know, but at a cost!

muppetman11 10-07-2017 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35907180)
I know, but at a cost!

Agreed but then even on Virgin you have to take the top TV package whether you need it or not I do accept however this generally works out cheaper.

I'm pretty sure BT have even started charging for BT Sport on their own platform however only a small amount I think.

theone2k10 10-07-2017 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35907193)
Agreed but then even on Virgin you have to take the top TV package whether you need it or not I do accept however this generally works out cheaper.

I'm pretty sure BT have even started charging for BT Sport on their own platform however only a small amount I think.

Yeah it's £3.50pm on bttv now although you can get that knocked down to £1.75pm.

Arthurgray50@blu 10-07-2017 19:56

I cannot see a lot of VM customers being happy about this.
VM certainly wont carry most of them UNLESS they charge for sepoerate channels.

We had a text from Sky re the channels launching - plus new ones that they will have.

Our contract with Sky ran out yesterday, and my wife threatened to leave and we got a package for £50.00, which l am happy with.

Although, The wife wanted to keep VM.

I simply caanot see VM having all of the channels from Sky sports as they wont make any money on them.

Dave42 10-07-2017 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35907200)
I cannot see a lot of VM customers being happy about this.
VM certainly wont carry most of them UNLESS they charge for sepoerate channels.

We had a text from Sky re the channels launching - plus new ones that they will have.

Our contract with Sky ran out yesterday, and my wife threatened to leave and we got a package for £50.00, which l am happy with.

Although, The wife wanted to keep VM.

I simply caanot see VM having all of the channels from Sky sports as they wont make any money on them.

VM got all them Arthur

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/ba-p/3471204

neilo 10-07-2017 21:02

Now all Virgin need to do is QUICKLY clarify and provide pricing options. E.g. How much is full package, how much are individual / dual channel options and confirm that these are available. And is the Sports HD charge staying.

These are the questions with answers outstanding.

Dave42 10-07-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilo (Post 35907213)
Now all Virgin need to do is QUICKLY clarify and provide pricing options. E.g. How much is full package, how much are individual / dual channel options and confirm that these are available. And is the Sports HD charge staying.

These are the questions with answers outstanding.

it will be as sky have said nothing at all about dropping sports HD charge

Paul 10-07-2017 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35907215)

on top of the Box Sets charge which they also force you to have to get HD in the first place. :mad:

denphone 11-07-2017 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35907215)

As l say Sky and the others companies pricing structures are like a maze within another maze and so on and so on and in the end one thing is for sure and that we will all end up paying more Dave.

nialli 11-07-2017 08:52

VM this morning has confirmed on its Community Forum:

Quote:

To clarify: at this time Virgin Media is not offering the Sky Sports channels on a standalone basis.
We will continue to offer all of the Sky Sports channels in one combined package.
As previously stated, when taken with our Full House pack we are the only provider where you can get all of the sport on BT Sport and Sky Sports in one package.

denphone 11-07-2017 09:01

Then they cannot blame customers if they decide cancel their sports or decide to up sticks and go somewhere else then...

japitts 11-07-2017 09:10

Credit to http://www.a516digital.com/2017/07/s...y-changes.html

The pricing for Sky customers is £18 for one, £22 for 2, £26 for 3 or £27.50 the whole lot.

So as others have pointed out, the only real price saving is by having one or two. At that point, it's a close call as to having the whole lot. Which I'm sure is no accident.

But that's back to scheduling flexibility again, of how they will manage multiple events of one/two sports at the same time. Rugby and cricket I see as the two problems, where you can easily overlap games and currently have 5 channels to schedule across. Now you only have one - and will the red button be the same PQ etc, as a broadcast channel???

muppetman11 11-07-2017 09:55

Isn't the Sky Sports Arena and Action combined (ie only counts as 1 channel) ?

nialli 11-07-2017 09:56

Through VM I get BT Sport and Sky Sport though I'm only really interested in the football (just a passing interest in Test cricket). I pay a lot for this and have explored the alternative of Sky Sports Day Passes on Now TV, but it doesn't really save me a great deal and I'd lose BT Sport and its coverage of the Champions League, which I do watch. I'd also miss out on La Liga and those Premiership games that don't involve my team but are of interest, and Monday Night Football is always worth watching for the Neville/Carragher analysis.
Even if the new selective pricing does come to VM it's more a marketing exercise than a saving opportunity for me, and I think that will be true for many.

muppetman11 11-07-2017 10:22

For Football fans VM will remain an excellent option , I suppose if Sky is the only platform that has the per channel pricing it could attract those Virgin or BT customers who only watch say Wrestling , Cricket , Golf , Rugby League , EFL football etc.

denphone 11-07-2017 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35907289)
For Football fans VM will remain an excellent option , I suppose if Sky is the only platform that has the per channel pricing it could attract those Virgin or BT customers who only watch say Wrestling , Cricket , Golf , Rigby League , EFL football etc.

And what if BT Sport decide to exit the XL pack?.

muppetman11 11-07-2017 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907291)

Then that would be a conversation for a completely new thread :D

How much is Sky Sports on VM and then how much more for Sky Sports in HD ?

Dave42 11-07-2017 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35907295)

£7 for HD sports pack

denphone 11-07-2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35907295)

Depending on ones package it is around £30 and Sky Sports in HD is an extra £7.

Bob 11-07-2017 10:42

Serious question: Who controls how Sky Sports is packaged on Virgin? Can they do what they like or is it actually up to Sky?

Dave42 11-07-2017 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907291)

don't think that will happen Den think be another deal as it suits both parties having it on VM in XL pack

denphone 11-07-2017 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35907299)
don't think that will happen Den think be another deal as it suits both parties having it on VM in XL pack

The world is changing Dave in all aspects so one must say never say never.:)

theone2k10 11-07-2017 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35907299)

Don't count on that bud.

denphone 11-07-2017 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907309)
Don't count on that bud.

Good grief we don't often agree.:)

muppetman11 11-07-2017 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907297)
Depending on ones package it is around £30 and Sky Sports in HD is an extra £7.

That's were if VM don't adopt the same pricing structure for Sky Sports as the Sky Platform you could see significant differences.

A cricket only fan would have to pay £30 for SD on VM as opposed to £18 on Sky or

HD £37 on VM as opposed to £23 on Sky

Obviously base packs need to be factored in so in some circumstances VM could still work out cheaper on the lower packs.

Bananaman_007 11-07-2017 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 35907298)
Serious question: Who controls how Sky Sports is packaged on Virgin? Can they do what they like or is it actually up to Sky?

Sky do as part of the carriage agreement. For example vm cant do anything that undercuts thee sky wholesale price.

VM would be unable to bundle this in the full house package for example.

However renegotiating will have to happen with VM as the current rules only apply to sky sports 1 and 2. Going forward these channels will not exist

japitts 11-07-2017 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35907280)
Through VM I get BT Sport and Sky Sport though I'm only really interested in the football (just a passing interest in Test cricket). I pay a lot for this and have explored the alternative of Sky Sports Day Passes on Now TV, but it doesn't really save me a great deal and I'd lose BT Sport and its coverage of the Champions League, which I do watch. I'd also miss out on La Liga and those Premiership games that don't involve my team but are of interest, and Monday Night Football is always worth watching for the Neville/Carragher analysis.
Even if the new selective pricing does come to VM it's more a marketing exercise than a saving opportunity for me, and I think that will be true for many.

Same. My main thing is rugby, BT have the lions share (and from next season, all) the club games but Sky have the internationals & SANZAR.

There's a couple of other sports that I'll watch if they're on, but wouldn't pay extra for.

Looks like I'd need to have Action & Arena to get these, and then I'd only save a fiver a month overall. And that's before any bundle discounts.

vincerooney 11-07-2017 12:28

What i dont get is what they'll do to fill the channels? A channel dedicated to rugby and a channel to cricket?

Does this mean we'll get more county cricket or more rugby games? I havent heard of any new contracts so im guessing like the f1 channel itll just become channels of old highlights...

theone2k10 11-07-2017 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907314)
Good grief we don't often agree.:)

Haha i think big changes are coming tbh i don't think bt sport will be in xl but i do think vm and bt may come to an agreement where BT sport is offered at a discounted rate to xl customers.
Apart from money VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.

denphone 11-07-2017 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907321)
Haha i think big changes are coming tbh i don't think bt sport will be in xl but i do think vm and bt may come to an agreement where BT sport is offered at a discounted rate to xl customers.
Apart from money VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.

Well lets see what the wind blows in as it might be from a nice direction perhaps.

nialli 11-07-2017 13:01

Quote:

I don't agree: Virgin Media has audience, something BT Sport is still desperate to attract to justify the inflated prices it has been paying for sport rights. I'd suggest viewing numbers are more important to BT than adding second-tier channels to their own TV offering.
If BT Sport lost its VM viewers it would really, really struggle to justify to shareholders its expenditure on Rights.

spiderplant 11-07-2017 13:14

Quote:

Apart from money..

Have you ever tried going shopping with a basket full of produce from your garden instead of money? I bet it doesn't go down too well in Tesco. It's all about money.

Quote:

VM really have nothing to offer in return had they still had their channels aka living then they could of been used possibly as a bargaining chip.

I'll invite you once more to remind us what delights Living brought us when VM did own it...

jj20x 11-07-2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35907319)
What i dont get is what they'll do to fill the channels? A channel dedicated to rugby and a channel to cricket?

Does this mean we'll get more county cricket or more rugby games? I havent heard of any new contracts so im guessing like the f1 channel itll just become channels of old highlights...

Maybe they will just do what Sky does best and temporarily re-brand a channel when its regular content is thin on the ground.

theone2k10 11-07-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35907335)
Have you ever tried going shopping with a basket full of produce from your garden instead of money? I bet it doesn't go down too well in Tesco. It's all about money.

I'll invite you once more to remind us what delights Living brought us when VM did own it...

Well vm treated the channel far better than SKY have imo.
As for your Tesco comment, grow up. You know full well what i meant.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35907325)
Well lets see what the wind blows in as it might be from a nice direction perhaps.

Absolutely agree sir.

spiderplant 11-07-2017 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35907338)
As for your Tesco comment, grow up. You know full well what i meant.

I was trying to illiustrate with an example from everyday life. Just like everything else in modern business, content gets paid for, not bartered.

denphone 11-07-2017 13:45

Quote:

If you invest in high quality content then the scenario could have been very much different.

theone2k10 11-07-2017 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35907346)
I was trying to illiustrate with an example from everyday life. Just like everything else in modern business, content gets paid for, not bartered.

Then i apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick.

japitts 11-07-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35907319)

Well exactly. This is the flip side of losing scheduling flexibility. Let's say there's 3 cricket games on but no football. Easy - schedule the cricket across SS1-3, you still have 4-5 free for other stuff. Sorry, not anymore. One broadcast, 2 presumably red-button (broadcast-HD quality????) and other channels showing repeats.

Bananaman_007 11-07-2017 16:30

But thinking about it, when now do you see two different live sports matches both broadcast on sky sports for the same sport at the same time? It is very rare if it ever happens.

This did happen with the Champions League but they were always red button for the extra games anyway.

I can't help but think partly the reason behind this move is to get them out of the legal case that said they must provide Sky Sports 1 and 2 at a set wholesale price. They no longer broadcast those channels they can charge what they like to the likes of VM and BT

denphone 11-07-2017 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 (Post 35907376)
But thinking about it, when now do you see two different live sports matches both broadcast on sky sports for the same sport at the same time? It is very rare if it ever happens.

This did happen with the Champions League but they were always red button for the extra games anyway.

I can't help but think partly the reason behind this move is to get them out of the legal case that said they must provide Sky Sports 1 and 2 at a set wholesale price. They no longer broadcast those channels they can charge what they like to the likes of VM and BT

You could well be right Bananaman.

Dave42 11-07-2017 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35907331)
I don't agree: Virgin Media has audience, something BT Sport is still desperate to attract to justify the inflated prices it has been paying for sport rights. I'd suggest viewing numbers are more important to BT than adding second-tier channels to their own TV offering.
If BT Sport lost its VM viewers it would really, really struggle to justify to shareholders its expenditure on Rights.

totally agree

spiderplant 11-07-2017 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 (Post 35907376)

That regulation has been lifted already:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom.../wmo-statement

Note: "Ofcom continues to monitor the pay TV market closely. Should evidence emerge of practices which we consider to be prejudicial to fair and effective competition, we will quickly reassess the need for regulation"

Arthurgray50@blu 11-07-2017 21:02

I am now trying to get the hang of this problem.

Sky are changing there whole Sports packages. Therefore prices will be going up slightly. IF, VM customers think that there prices wont go up. I think this is a lost cuase.

VM are in the business of making lots of money, on less programming.

If you are with Sky, like a majority of members. Then you have a choice of the sports package.

But, if you are with VM then you don't. You will have to pay extra for it. VM wont give you these channels on the cheap.

I would say with certainty, that VM WILL start charging for BT Sports, especially if they bring out separate channels in the sports field. They are quiet at he moment.

I can see VM going to Ofcom on this. As Sky will want more money because of this. And at the end of the day it will be US that end up paying the bill.

OLD BOY 11-07-2017 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35907362)
Well exactly. This is the flip side of losing scheduling flexibility. Let's say there's 3 cricket games on but no football. Easy - schedule the cricket across SS1-3, you still have 4-5 free for other stuff. Sorry, not anymore. One broadcast, 2 presumably red-button (broadcast-HD quality????) and other channels showing repeats.

Don't forget there is also the Sky Main Event channel and Sky Sports Mix. I'm sure they've figured it out!

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Quote:

I see your point, spiderplant. But VM is on the back foot if they don't have exclusive channels to offer. UK Living was not an exclusive channel, of course, but if it had been, I'm sure VM would have benefited from this and similar exclusives.

The current strategy of not owning content but offering subscribers the widest possible choice only succeeds if they can also gain content currently regarded as 'exclusive', i.e. Sky Atlantic, ITV Encore and AMC.

If VM cannot accomplish this, then it needs some equivalent exclusive content of its own.

pengedragon 11-07-2017 22:13

my (very healthy) sky sports discount ends on july 24th, interesting timing given this shake up

think i'll let things settle down before making a decision, increasingly finding sky sports something nice to have rather than essential

much more excited about having a season ticket for my local non league club this year

denphone 12-07-2017 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35907383)
That regulation has been lifted already:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom.../wmo-statement

Note: "Ofcom continues to monitor the pay TV market closely. Should evidence emerge of practices which we consider to be prejudicial to fair and effective competition, we will quickly reassess the need for regulation"

Yep "Ofcom continue to monitor the pay TV market closely" and do nothing generally apart from a tinker here and a tinker there and yet Sky are up to their old tricks again and BT seem to have caught some of the disease it seems as well.