Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Security on an Android tablet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712551)

Rillington 14-03-2024 09:34

Security on an Android tablet

I've just bought a Samsung tablet which I think is an Android device and I am wondering how much security I would need.

I currently have Norton, which comes with 10 licences - ie I can sue it on up to 10 different devices. However, I have been given the impression that Tablets are less prone to attacks. Therefore, would I need this level of security on an Android, or would the occasional scan using Malwarebytes be enough, assuming Norton and Malwarebytes work on a tablet.

Jaymoss 14-03-2024 09:40

Re: Security on an Android tablet

I have bit defender on my phone. Devices are powerful enough to not be slowed down by having security and imo some is always better than none

Stephen 14-03-2024 12:12

I've been using android devices for many years. Both my phone and tablet are Samsung.

I've never felt the need to add any extra security to them. Samsung makes their devices pretty secure with what they already have.

SnoopZ 14-03-2024 15:39

I run Bitdefender Free on my Samsung Android Phone and Tablet, no issues at all and no slow down.

Rillington 15-03-2024 08:07

Thank you for the thoughts so far.

If Norton does work with an Android then I'd probably instal it and I'd always instal Malwarebytes in any case, as I've always seen it as an excellent programme. It's such a shame that Malwarebytes also doesn't look for other threats. If it did I'd bin Norton in an instant.

Paul 15-03-2024 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36172027)
I've been using android devices for many years. Both my phone and tablet are Samsung.

I've never felt the need to add any extra security to them. Samsung makes their devices pretty secure with what they already have.

This.

Never added anything other than what Samsung supply.

Hom3r 15-03-2024 20:31

I did have Avast on my netbook, phone and tablet. ditched them long ago.

tweetiepooh 18-03-2024 10:21

I also have Norton on Android. It adds VPN which can be useful and all the other Norton stuff. It doesn't seem to get in the way.

Rillington 19-03-2024 10:59

Would a VPN seem like a sensible thing to add given that it will be using a wifi connection as opposed to my ethernet connection?

SnoopZ 19-03-2024 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36172248)
Would a VPN seem like a sensible thing to add given that it will be using a wifi connection as opposed to my ethernet connection?

You don't need a VPN to use a wireless device on your own home network, or any home network for family and friends, I think you're over thinking things.

Itshim 19-03-2024 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36172250)
You don't need a VPN to use a wireless device on your own home network, or any home network for family and friends, I think you're over thinking things.

Just because you are paranoid don't mean someone not after you .:erm: what is the harm :angel:

SnoopZ 19-03-2024 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36172269)
Just because you are paranoid don't mean someone not after you .:erm: what is the harm :angel:

I'm not paranoid.

If I was paranoid I would use VPN on everything I use for the internet, I've only just purchased a VPN to allow me to watch Formula 1 TV Pro as that isn't available in the UK.

Paul 19-03-2024 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36172248)

I dont see the connection between the two, why a VPN simply becasue you're using WiFi ?

tweetiepooh 20-03-2024 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36172279)
I dont see the connection between the two, why a VPN simply becasue you're using WiFi ?

It's not secured Wifi that's the problem but those public, open WiFi hotspots. Norton can detect this and turn the VPN on automatically (and off when the network is "secure"). The VPN can also route via other nations so I use Eire to listen to radio stations that I can't get since Brexit.

Rillington 27-03-2024 12:00

Thank you or that very useful information.

Itshim 27-03-2024 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36172279)

Guessing, the giveaway is not available in the uk;)

Referring to don't need.... Home network

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36172250)

Rillington 28-04-2024 13:10

I have now installed my Tablet and I noticed something called Knox which I believe is Samsung's equivalent of Windows Defender. I know that 1 + 1 = 0 when it comes to internet security as the software would clash and make both stop functioning.

A friend helped me set it up and he suggested that Knox would not work unless I registered and obtained a Samsung account, something I'm reluctant to do. Is this true?

Stephen 28-04-2024 13:25

If you have a Samsung device you'd normally set up a Samsung account as part of setting the device up.

I'm sure know is just on by default. Android its self usually has a security of its own also.

joglynne 28-04-2024 13:32

The Knox version 3.10 on my Samsung Galaxy A53 was working before I registered a Samsung account.

This could be because of it being a phone and Knox was already installed with details already showing in the Phone's Settings/phone/software information page when the phone arrived.

Stephen 29-04-2024 00:05

I think know is integrated into Samsungs android versions currently as it show when the phone is booting up.

When it first came out back on much earlier Galaxy devices is was more of a program that you chose to enable, but think they made it a deeper OS level protection layer, securing all your data and protecting the device.

Rillington 30-04-2024 15:02

Thank you for those thoughts.

I would agree that it's built in because I did notice it when I first switched on my Tablet.

I have not set up a Samsung account and don't intend to do so unless I am forced to do so in order to obtain any protection. This is why I am wanting to know if it updates even if you don't give Samsung some personal information and the ability for them to communicate with me.

joglynne 30-04-2024 15:58

If you go into settings ->Software update you can check for any updates and install them..... err hopefully. :)

My last up date on 24/04/2024 was for security, bug fixes and performance.

Paul 30-04-2024 18:49

What personal information ?
If you're really that paranoid, just use a fake name etc, and throwaway email, its not like they check.

I have a samsung account, and I've never received any emails from them, the only thing I use it for is backups of my Tablet & Phone.
[ You get so much free space with the account ].

Every so often it notifies me, asking me to agree to their "Updated T&Cs", I just dismiss it, the backups and updates still work fine.

Stephen 30-04-2024 21:40

Samsung account normal required for Samsung store app updates and using Samsung backup services. But not requirement. Though I've had a Samsung account for about 14 years now. No issues.

Rillington 01-05-2024 14:45

Thank you for these posts. They all help to add to my knowledge base of something I am completely new to, and they, along with the other helpful posts in this discussion, will ensure I make good decisions regarding the safe usage of my new Tablet.

Itshim 02-05-2024 09:21

Just noticed mine says security by knox on front screen didn't even noticed it before !

Hom3r 05-05-2024 09:39

I have Knox on my Galaxy Note 10+ 5G.

I do a check monthly

Rillington 15-05-2024 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36174512)
I have Knox on my Galaxy Note 10+ 5G.

and do you have to have a Samsung account to be able to use Knox?

SnoopZ 15-05-2024 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36175090)
and do you have to have a Samsung account to be able to use Knox?

Well it's normal to have a Samsung account whether it's a Smart Phone Tablet or TV.

Itshim 15-05-2024 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36175093)
Well it's normal to have a Samsung account whether it's a Smart Phone Tablet or TV.

Don't even know we're to check:(

SnoopZ 15-05-2024 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36175101)
Don't even know we're to check:(

Swipe down bring up the settings and you will see there.

Itshim 15-05-2024 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36175111)
Swipe down bring up the settings and you will see there.

Settings no problem, know how to get that. Can't see it though, ref to Mcafee is there .

SnoopZ 16-05-2024 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36175118)
Settings no problem, know how to get that. Can't see it though, ref to Mcafee is there .

When in Settings my accounts on my devices are all listed on Tablet and Mobile in the top left corner below the word Settings.

A quick Google would find the info you need I think.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/m...0with%20Google.

Edward27 16-05-2024 09:02

Norton and Malwarebytes are good choices for antivirus protection. Regular scans with Malwarebytes can help catch any threats. And be cautious with app downloads, stick to trusted sources like the Google Play Store.
Also, use a VPN. As it's mentioned in this article, it encrypts your data and masks your IP address, especially when connecting to public Wi-Fi networks. This adds an extra layer of security, making it harder for hackers to intercept your sensitive information.

Itshim 16-05-2024 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36175149)
When in Settings my accounts on my devices are all listed on Tablet and Mobile in the top left corner below the word Settings.

A quick Google would find the info you need I think.

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/m...0with%20Google.

I give in . :dunce:

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward27 (Post 36175150)
Norton and Malwarebytes are good choices for antivirus protection. Regular scans with Malwarebytes can help catch any threats. And be cautious with app downloads, stick to trusted sources like the Google Play Store.
Also, use a VPN. As it's mentioned in this article, it encrypts your data and masks your IP address, especially when connecting to public Wi-Fi networks. This adds an extra layer of security, making it harder for hackers to intercept your sensitive information.

Very happy with my setup . Just couldn't, still can't see any connection to knox listed. Honestly don't really care . The only reference I see is to mcafee( give up spell check keeps changing) :o:

Stephen 16-05-2024 17:55

From Samsung.com
Quote:

Samsung Knox can protect your devices against viruses although it is not an antivirus software in its own right. Samsung Knox isn't a program or application, but is hardware built into your Samsung device at the point of manufacture.
From androidpolice.com
Quote:

Samsung Knox's security features are so robust that, despite not being antivirus software, it can protect your Samsung phones against viruses and malware. Samsung Knox's security and Android's security features protect your phone's data against viruses and other foreign threats.

Russ 16-05-2024 18:36

For a few months I was recently unfortunate enough to find myself using an Android and all that time used my Norton 360 software on it. I’ve no idea if tablets are less susceptible to attacks than phones but if a downloaded app has malware etc and gets past Google/Android’s checks then I wasn’t going to take a chance. The Norton came with a free unlimited VPN and as I’d be using my online banking on the move p, that would get activated whenever I’d connect to public Wi-Fi.

So if you have Norton, just stick with that whether phone or tablet.