Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

SnoopZ 07-09-2015 11:21

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35796920)
Finally got fed up with windows refusing to go near the edge of the screen so googled the problem and now windows are nicely lined up at the edge of the screen.

What actually was the problem and how was it fixed?

qasdfdsaq 07-09-2015 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35796716)
Yeah! Circa 2006. It's that sort of board where the fan is held down by 4 cam-shaped thumb screws, one in each corner, which twist into a lock position

Huh... I thought that was the modern/easy type. Line it up, push the four pins in, done.

Did the "screws" look like this?

http://www.chillblast.com/images/P/stock%20cooler.jpg

arcimedes 07-09-2015 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35796949)
What actually was the problem and how was it fixed?

Goto control panel > ease of access centre > make the mouse easier to use

and untick the box labelled Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen

If I lined up a windows with edge of the screen it would jump in a small amount.

I have just had to readjust a windows that wasn't in the right place so it may not be working properly.

alanbjames 08-09-2015 17:25

I still use Firefox but a friend was using edge and liked it till he went to use something that needed flash and it refused outright to work.

SnoopZ 08-09-2015 17:37

Edge works fine with flash here.

Make sure Flash is enabled in the Edge options.

SnoopZ 11-09-2015 14:16

Didn't want to download Windows 10 to your PC and didn't even reserve a copy? ..........tough, Microsoft is downloading it to your PC regardless in reports.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information...eserve-a-copy/

qasdfdsaq 11-09-2015 14:30

Can I sue them for data charges if I'm on a capped mobile connection?

Hugh 11-09-2015 15:18

Go for it!

techguyone 11-09-2015 18:21

Lets hope they do not install automatically too.

progers 12-09-2015 06:47

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has changed default browser from Edge and how this has worked. I still get a box asking me if I want to use my new browser every time I click a link

Tinky 12-09-2015 07:05

I use Firefox 40.0.3 Progers no problems with it. :)

roughbeast 12-09-2015 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by progers (Post 35797666)
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has changed default browser from Edge and how this has worked. I still get a box asking me if I want to use my new browser every time I click a link

I use Firefox 40.0.3 too.

I had the same difficulty as you at first. Even though I changed the default away from Edge, when asked, I continued to be asked every time I started Firefox up.
To permanently change default settings for all kinds of apps go to SETTINGS.

Start > Settings > System > Default Apps

I now have Irfan View as my default for photos, WinAmp for music and CDs, VLC for Video and DVD. I am trying the Windows 10 default for Mail and Calendar. The calendar integrates nicely with our Google-based family calendar on this PC, but won't detect it on my son's laptop. Mail works a bit like an Outlook Lite. I will probably go back to Outlook.

SnoopZ 12-09-2015 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by progers (Post 35797666)

I never had a problem setting any browser as default, you do know you have to go into the settings to do it, then it should stick? :)

I get to the settings from the action centre but you can go from the Start menu also.

Action Centre/All Settings/System/Default Apps/Web Browser.... then click it and select the browser you wish to use from the list, same goes for any other app people wish to use.

alanbjames 13-09-2015 00:38

I cannot get Windows 10 to activate on a new install.

Anyone have any ideas?

morrk 13-09-2015 02:05

Was it an upgrade to windows 10 you did? If so was it activated correctly? You shouldn't need to do anything if this was the case.

I've cleanly installed win10 on 2 machines after upgrade from 8.1 and they both activated without intervention.