Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : Game of Thrones (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33696727)

General Maximus 18-07-2017 16:09

Re: Game of Thrones

yeah, I like the idea of doing it to completely immerse myself in the GoT universe but I think I would have to go shopping in advance and prepare some meals and maybe plan in a takeaway or two and go for something like 9am-11pm everyday. I think planning is going to be key.

Kursk 18-07-2017 16:20

But it just seems like a LOTR ripoff? Or, more precisely, Eastenders in period costume.
I mean, George R R Martin/J R R Tolkien; Ned Stark/Boromir; Midget/Hobbit; Dragons/Nazgul; Armed struggle; fortresses; War of the 5 Kings/Battle of the 5 Armies.

It does have Daenerys and Lena Headey but the LOTR girls were yummy too.

I dunno, I'm undecided. Will I just be shouting ripoff at the screen for hours or is this more than a soap opera on horseback? :)

Paul 18-07-2017 18:11

LOTR was just complete rubbish, while GOT is excellent.

General Maximus 18-07-2017 18:54

yup, it goes back to what I have said many a time before about realism. If somebody is supposed to be super evil and do really bad things then you need to see it to make it realistic. Similarly, if you know a massive army is coming to attack your castle then you want to see an epic battle. Normally you wouldn't expect such grandiose scenes in a tv series but GoT delivers every time. For anybody who has yet to see it, I can assure you it is a jaw dropping experience.

Damien 18-07-2017 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35908331)
yup, it goes back to what I have said many a time before about realism. If somebody is supposed to be super evil and do really bad things then you need to see it to make it realistic.

They're different I think. You can get away with unrealistic depictions of anything in a fantasy universe. In LoTR the evil is allegorical, it's evil as a force itself. Everything seems to symbolise a wider point, the orcs, the ring, the elves, the hobbits and so on. It's less about them than it is what they represent. GoTR is more human and the relationships between them, their more realistic in they lack pure evil or pure good characters. Although I don't think Kursk meant it in the same way, it is closer to a soap opera in the dynamics of the characters.

Anyway I like GoTR. I think it could have stood to lose a season, it does meander about a bit half-way though the entire show but picked up last season. You're right about the production values, it is by far it's strongest suit - might be the best ever on television for sheer scale and set-pieces.

I would recommend it to most people but depends what they like.

denphone 18-07-2017 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35908324)
LOTR was just complete rubbish, while GOT is excellent.

Both are good IMO but each to their own l say.

Kursk 20-07-2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35908338)
They're different I think. You can get away with unrealistic depictions of anything in a fantasy universe. In LoTR the evil is allegorical, it's evil as a force itself. Everything seems to symbolise a wider point, the orcs, the ring, the elves, the hobbits and so on. It's less about them than it is what they represent. GoTR is more human and the relationships between them, their more realistic in they lack pure evil or pure good characters. Although I don't think Kursk meant it in the same way, it is closer to a soap opera in the dynamics of the characters.

Anyway I like GoTR. I think it could have stood to lose a season, it does meander about a bit half-way though the entire show but picked up last season. You're right about the production values, it is by far it's strongest suit - might be the best ever on television for sheer scale and set-pieces.

I would recommend it to most people but depends what they like.

Thanks. An informative and useful post. If it's soap opera, I will fall asleep no matter how it is dressed up. :)

Damien 20-07-2017 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908584)
Thanks. An informative and useful post. If it's soap opera, I will fall asleep no matter how it is dressed up. :)

I wouldn't say it's a soap opera. Just that it does take some of it's structure from soap operas. It's not fantasy Eastenders.

Paul 20-07-2017 20:13

Its not a soap opera in the sense most people would mean it.

Its a Fantasy/Drama, set in a fictional land.

Kursk 20-07-2017 23:22

Perhaps then I will give it a go. I'll do it for Daenerys :D

denphone 21-07-2017 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908654)
Perhaps then I will give it a go. I'll do it for Daenerys :D

A open mind often learns.;)

Kursk 21-07-2017 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35908663)
A open mind often learns.;)

Thank you for your pithy wisdom Young Grasshopper. :sleep:

General Maximus 13-08-2017 17:48

I couldn't resist:

Qtx 13-08-2017 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35908584)

Soap opera's go on for years and people get killed off over Christmas. Game of Thrones is limited to 8 seasons and well loved characters are lucky to survive each and every episode :D

Each game of thrones episode is more like a short movie due to it's huge production values. Lots of eye candy to go along with a brilliant story and you get emotionally engaged with individuals. First tv show I have watched where my jaw actually dropped in disbelief after something happened in the first season. Was an OMG moment.

General Maximus 16-09-2017 19:16

Quote:

What’s in store for the final season of Game of Thrones? Deadline reports the HBO TV show will shoot multiple endings for season eight to avoid spoilers.

As reported earlier, the upcoming season will be the last for the hit fantasy drama.

Recently, HBO chief Casey Bloys revealed Game of Thrones will shoot different endings for the series to avoid leaks:

“You have to do that on a long show. Because when you’re shooting something, people know. So they’re going to shoot multiple versions so that there’s no definitive answer until the end.”

This decision comes months after HBO was hacked and Game of Thrones content was leaked online. Production on the eighth and final season is expected to begin in October. No premiere date has been announced yet.