Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VM Business : New VM Business service - 350Mb (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704791)

ccarmock 05-12-2017 20:43

Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

yes I received the same notification so here's hoping!

mrdanny 06-12-2017 06:18

Not Happened here yet, the waiting and disappointment continues..........

ccarmock 06-12-2017 06:46

My Hitron did not update overnight.

mrdanny 06-12-2017 12:36

Update from Virgin

Unfortunately, we had some further problems deploying the new firmware to your router last night which we are looking into. As soon as we have any further information we will e-mail you with an update.

Pretty vague.....

ccarmock 07-12-2017 21:53

Got an email asking me to reboot the Hitron. After doing so within a few mins it started to download a new firmware version & rebooted about 10 mins later running version 4.5.10.173-UPC so far performance is fine.

pcfarrar 19-12-2017 12:38

I was having a new Voom connection installed yesterday and the engineer told me that a new business 500 Mb service is launching next year to replace the 350 Mb.

2slow4u 20-12-2017 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35927914)
Got an email asking me to reboot the Hitron. After doing so within a few mins it started to download a new firmware version & rebooted about 10 mins later running version 4.5.10.173-UPC so far performance is fine.

Are you saying you're getting full speed 24/7?. I'm getting ~15-20MB most of the time which seems to be a non issue in the night as i get the full fat 40MB/sec then.

Here is a typical speedtest result, hardly the "350Mb" its supposed to be :(

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...&sz=w1903-h984

I talked to the "2nd level support" and they said a new firmware is being trialled that fixes the issue, to be deployed in Jan. They didnt want to give me it as its a trial unfortunately :(

This after fobbing me off saying they did their tests and everything was fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfarrar (Post 35929491)
I was having a new Voom connection installed yesterday and the engineer told me that a new business 500 Mb service is launching next year to replace the 350 Mb.

I hope not, the current system is a POS so god help them if they want to push it further!

pcfarrar 20-12-2017 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slow4u (Post 35929633)
I hope not, the current system is a POS so god help them if they want to push it further!

They've probably made a good amount of money out of it selling leased lines.. :D

I had to order one to replace a Voom connection earlier this month.

2slow4u 20-12-2017 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcfarrar (Post 35929634)
They've probably made a good amount of money out of it selling leased lines.. :D

I had to order one to replace a Voom connection earlier this month.

I dont know if I should :D or :cry:

ccarmock 20-12-2017 16:03

Quote:

Are you saying you're getting full speed 24/7?.

Well I'm not constantly testing but when I have done performance since the firmware upgrade has been consistently good:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/12/32.png

Quote:

I talked to the "2nd level support" and they said a new firmware is being trialled that fixes the issue, to be deployed in Jan. They didnt want to give me it as its a trial unfortunately :(

That is my understanding too that the new firmware will be rolled out in January if the trial goes well, which it has done so far for me. I understand that some changes were required within the VM Network also.

2slow4u 20-12-2017 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35929636)
Well I'm not constantly testing but when I have done performance since the firmware upgrade has been consistently good:-

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/12/32.png

Wow that's really nice, looks like they have this figured out & I hope I can get that too!.

Thanks for posting back and letting me know its working good for you now

MovedGoalPosts 10-01-2018 15:31

What a shame I didn't check the internet before deciding my office broadband should be upgraded from the 152meg dynamic service to the 350meg static IP service. The attraction was the increased upload with static IP a bonus as we are seeing more VPN type connectivity.

The install of replacement Hitron Virgin Media Router was fine on Monday. Since then the upload has been as expected, around the 20meg mark. But frequently speed tests show we don't even get the 20 meg as a download.

As others have posted the static IP implementation seems to be very flawed. Having spoke to the techy VM faults team they remain amazed VM are still selling it, especially without warnings. I'm told they get about 5% of customers having a problem. That is a lot.

I'm now waiting for a downgrade to dynamic IP to be implemented, and then I'll revert to a DDNS type system to track possible IP changes. Far from ideal but for our current use it's workable. But really static IPs on a business service should be common place, and not rocket science.

pcfarrar 10-01-2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts (Post 35931845)
I'm now waiting for a downgrade to dynamic IP to be implemented, and then I'll revert to a DDNS type system to track possible IP changes. Far from ideal but for our current use it's workable. But really static IPs on a business service should be common place, and not rocket science.

The downgrade to dynamic IP usually takes less than an hour.

Funnily enough they sent an email today saying "We need to let you know about some maintenance work that will be taking place on our network, as detailed below. We will be upgrading the software on our network device at Perry Barr to improve performance."

Planned Work Start (Local UK): 24/01/2018 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 24/01/2018 02:01

This might be the fix for the static IP problem as it lists all of our Voom fibre connections as being affected by the outage.

ccarmock 10-01-2018 20:33

I got the same outage notification for the same date/ time.

I am on the trial firmware for the Hitron, and have been since early December. Since then I have been getting a solid 350 Mb/s down with no more slow downloads since that change. I know some central infrastructure needed changes too, but the combination has, so far, appeared to have fixed the issue for me.

My contact at VMB tells me that the majority of feedback from people with the trial firmware is good, and that he was expecting to hear about wider roll out soon.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved for all soon.

APS 11-01-2018 12:39

We had a couple of notified outages earlier this week. I checked with techinical support who said they were nothing to do with the fixed IP problem. They said they had no specific release date for the release of a rollout of the firmware to fix it, only a date of "Q1" which he said could roll till the end of March. He suggested I fill in an official complaint form on the web to get a confirmed date.

Today I had a call from UK customer service, first trying to get me to switch to the dynamic address which is not what I want. He then told me we had been notified of some maintenance on the 24th and that was to fix the "fixed IP" issue. This guy was not technical and went into b*llsh*t mode when I questioned how an upgrade to a server in Perry Barr was going to fix the problem that seemed to need a Hitron firmware change. He could not tell me.

I guess the Perry Barr server may be part of the issue. Perhaps the triallists do not go through it? Anyway let's see what happens on the 24th but I suspect the Hiton firmware may come later than that.